smoothies negate afterburn effect?

katied

Cathlete
Hi Cathe! First off I just want to say thank you for all your wonderful workouts and all the research and work you put into them! They are simply the best and I love each and every one of them-- and I especially love how my body has changed since starting them consistently this past spring. You are amazing!

So my question is regarding smoothies. I am vegan, first off, and it has been hotter than you-know-what around here lately, so I have been having a smoothie for breakfast after my workouts. I have a friend who told me that by drinking something cold, I am ruining the afterburn effect that I have worked so hard for. Is this true? He says the cold smoothie slows my metabolism down. I use Sunwarrrior Protein powder with no added sweetener/sugar, frozen organic banana, berries and almondmilk. I also add MSM powder to help with my joints/problematic knee. Anyway, would love your thoughts on this, or any other Cathletes who have an opinion on this.

Thanks so much for reading and for everything!
Katie

Hi Katie!

The temperature of a smoothie is not nearly as important as the calories/ingredients in a smoothie, since a high calorie smoothie will negate the calories burned from the afterburn effect. However, if we were going to address the temperature, the cold temperature of the smoothie will burn a few extra calories than a room temperature smoothie (see first highlighted article).

I’ve written a couple of related blog articles that will address your questions with greater detail. I hope you find them helpful. :)

Cathe Friedrich - 5 Secrets for Boosting Metabolism After 40

Cathe Friedrich - Are Colder or Room Temperature Beverages Better for Exercise Hydration?

Cathe Friedrich - Are Smoothies Good for You?

Hi Cathe! First off I just want to say thank you for all your wonderful workouts and all the research and work you put into them! They are simply the best and I love each and every one of them-- and I especially love how my body has changed since starting them consistently this past spring. You are amazing!

So my question is regarding smoothies. I am vegan, first off, and it has been hotter than you-know-what around here lately, so I have been having a smoothie for breakfast after my workouts. I have a friend who told me that by drinking something cold, I am ruining the afterburn effect that I have worked so hard for. Is this true? He says the cold smoothie slows my metabolism down. I use Sunwarrrior Protein powder with no added sweetener/sugar, frozen organic banana, berries and almondmilk. I also add MSM powder to help with my joints/problematic knee. Anyway, would love your thoughts on this, or any other Cathletes who have an opinion on this.

Thanks so much for reading and for everything!
Katie

Thank you so much, Cathe! This is great information that I will pass along to my friend:). Thanks again for taking the time to reply!

All the best,

Katie

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.