Runners!! I have a question. . . .

DeborahG

Cathlete
How many of you guys/gals rely on running for all of your cardio, versus cross-training with other forms of cardio? If you cross-train, how often and with what types? Finally, do you know if there are advantages/disadvantages (other than the obvious one of overtraining/injury) to running less and cross-training more (or vice versa), or does it just vary from person to person? I'm wondering if anyone has experienced better/worse fitness results from running more/less.

Sorry about all the questions. I guess I'm needy tonight. Thanks in advance for any input.

Have a great night!

Deborah

my answer

I do cardio 3 to 4 times a week. I love to run, but I find if I don't crosstrain, my shins/knees hurt. So I run no more than 3 times per week, and when I am not running I am on the elliptical trainer. I normally will run for 45-60 minutes or longer (I did 7 miles on Sunday). I will do the elliptical for 50-60 minutes. I get bored on it though, so I will do resistance workouts, where every two minutes I up the resistance and then lower it once I have reached the highest level I can push at, or I will do speed intervals at a resistance level that it in my moderate range. I would like to do step aerobice too, but I just don't have the space needed.

The benefits for me besides not having shin splints, or pain in my knees, is that my body is pushed differently in doing a different type of cardio, recruiting different muscles, etc.

Kristin

Lately my form of cardio as been running. I use to run in the spring/summer time, then do step in the winter, but that was before my DH bought a TM for Christmas one year.
I get on it all the time now b/c if I am only doing cardio for 30 mins, I figure I am going to burn more cals by running, then by stepping. My warm up is usually at 5.8 and I continue to climb higher every 2 mins. Sometimes I will only do this for 10 mins, or maybe sometimes 20 mins...then I mix the rest of the workout up with speed running and hills. The time goes by so much faster.I haven't ran a long distance in probably a month (10 miles) I haven't went over 6 miles on my TM this winter.when summer comes again, i will put DS in his stroller and we will do 10 miles atleast 4-5 x's a week. I started sprinting last year when i was training for a race and I have been doing it ever since. But to my dismay, I read a article in Runners world saying that we shouldn't sprint unless we are training for something. Sprinting year round can cause major injuries. Since then I have pulled back some and have been doing more hills instead of sprinting.
I haven't been cross training, I have been lifting heavy weights on my my shorter run days or sometimes I will do a step workout instead. There are also days i will get on teh TM for 20 mins or so, then do 4DSBC or 4DSKB. I have also been known to incorporate the TM with HSC or HST, its a good circuit workout and the cardio is a little longer then what cathe does in the videos.
I haven't had any injuries only the occasional knee pain but that comes and goes, I think its just part of being a runner. If I ran everyday for a LONG time then the pain would be continous. I think overtraining, bad form and bad foot wear is where alot of injuries come from.

Hope I helped...i think I babbled a little to much!;)

Lori:)

Last edited:
I used to use running pretty much exclusively for my cardio. I ran a marathon, 10ks, and lots of 5ks. Then last summer I strained my meniscus and had to cut back. The most amazing thing happened! I started using the elliptical, kettlebells, jump rope, boot camp style cardio, kickboxing...and my body finally started to look like I wanted it to. I think my body was so used to running (even HIIT running) that it stopped responding as well. During my "running recovery" I also started lifting more and heavier weights. Now I run a couple times a week at most (more in the summer), and use my treadmill for circuit-type workouts incorporating running. But, seeing the changes in my body has made me a believer in cross training and I don't see myself ever going back to running exclusively.

I used to run a lot and then ended up with a knee injury. During my recovery I bought a spnning bike as this was the only other cardio I had ever found that could give me the same cardio intensity running did. From that point on, I've continued cross training my cardio. So between running one day a week, spinning, Imax(s), Drill Max, Low Max, etc. I have a happy body and a good cardio mix. I also found I prefer cross training as it keeps the workouts fresh.

From a fitness level, for me, it just matters I have a certain amount of cardio and the appropriate intensity. I do believe everyone is different and needs to do what works for them.
Jo

Last edited:
I don't run two days in a row

Because where I live the hills are really intense, it would be like doing low max two days in a row. I only do my intense interval run once a week. I only run 3x a week at the most. I do step. When its raining I do kick boxing or some dance video but those really don't cut it in terms of intensity. I do the cross training to avoid injury. I don't see anything wrong with doing three days of running with two walk days in between (speed walking.) I would just wonder about the effect on the tendons/ligaments/joints. Also, I find if I wear the same shoes two days in a row, that I get shin splints. But, its totally up to you. I suspect that your body would become conditioned to that kind of training and you would stop seeing results.

Hi Deborah...I have run for about 30 years. I also cross train. I feel most injuries have something to do with age too, as when I turned 40 they started!! But I also feel cross training can help you avoid some injuries as in high impact versus low impact. Weight training can also strengthen the muscles therefore avoiding injuries.

When I marathon train (as I am now) I usually run for most of my cardio. I also use an Elliptical on non running days. When not marathon training I cross train with step and kickbox too.

I have felt running has definitely kept me fit. But it is not for everyone and finding out what you like is the key IMO. I have usually been able to do some kind of cardio like the Elliptical when I have had an injury and cannot run. HTH

Hi Deborah-

I like to run for cardio too, but I usually don't do it for more than 3 days/week, and typically not for more than 40 minutes. I do cross train on the other days, usually I do cardio 5-6 days/ week, but only for about 40 minutes.

For me, my favorite complement cardio to running is either kickboxing or the ARC trainer ( at the gym). These two activities seem to agree best with my body and so far I've remained injury free and I'm almost 42.

For me, I've found that runnning or any cardio for longer than 40 minutes makes me too tired to focus on my real love and focus, which is strength training. However, my goal right now in my life isn't to do an endurance race.. I'm only in it for the endorphin buzz that running gives me more than any other cardio form. :)

Take care, Lynn M.

Hi Deborah~

I run 3 days a week for my cardio. On other days I do cross training doing crossfit type workouts, jump rope and kettlebells. I do lots of short running workouts that are interspersed with push ups, squats, kettlebell swings, etc. I suffer from shin splints from time to time so I only run 3 days a week.

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.

Back