Rubber layer on step bubbling up. Repairable?

NinjaMom

Cathlete
The black rubber top on my step has air bubbles and was wondering if anyone else has dealt with this and found a good fix.

Thanks!

I haven't had problems (yet), but I'd suggest popping the bubbles (slicing through them) with an exacto knife, then squeezing in some glue and pressing down well.

I had this same problem with my step when I first got it. I used a sewing needle to pop tiny holes and let the air escape. I didn't put glue in it like Kathryn suggested but I assume that wouldn't hurt (just make sure the glue dries before you use it :p).

It probably doesn't need to be fixed but it was making funny sounds when I would step on the air bubbles so it annoyed me.

Kathryn- I was thinking of doing something like that but was worried the "slice" would eventually pull apart. I have some Gorilla Glue which is strong but not sure how it would hold up with repeated stepping.

Pam- The bubbles are pretty large and crackle/pop when I'm using the step which gets annoying. I haven't tripped yet but if they get much larger, it could happen.

Julie- That sounds like a good option to start with...at least it will eliminate the annoying popping.

Thanks Ladies!

You could try injecting some carpet glue. I used carpet glue to build an outdoor Halloween prop and it is very durable when it dries.

Hello,
I have the original club step and I also used a sewing needle to pop tiny holes and let the air escape. I didn't need to put glue in it becouse the sewing needle worked perfectly.
have a great week end girls
Ciao

I have some Gorilla Glue which is strong but not sure how it would hold up with repeated stepping.

It sounds like popping the bubbles will be enough. But if it isn't, I wouldn't worry about glueing it.

I have the original (turquoise) step. I've never had the bubbles, but my tread was coming off because (as I discovered) my kids were using it as a slide.:confused: I glued it down with some "Goop" from Home Depot. That was about 8 years ago, and it's held up beautifully.

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.