Ripped Upper/Lower Body Circuits

I wonder the same thing but from looking at rwh rotations. I notice that she doesn't' put a upper body circuit after a upper body workout. It may be because it would be boring or because it would be over working the upper body. I don't get doms from either circuit workouts but they do exhaust my muscle toward the end so they are getting worked. I actually feel my legs getting workout with the upper body. I've done upper circuit and lower circuit in 2 consecutive days and my thighs seem to be the only muscle fatigued LOL

I think with many of us it just depends on are muscle composition and how much we use during the circuit. I lift 45 1 arm rows during rwh back. I think the upper body circuit I used 20 for the high rep stuff. The workout leans more to a metabolic weight workout for me if I follow cathe's weight/speed/reps.

Maybe someone else will chime in - Natalie tends to be in the know regarding weight stuff

I wonder the same thing but from looking at rwh rotations. I notice that she doesn't' put a upper body circuit after a upper body workout. It may be because it would be boring or because it would be over working the upper body. I don't get doms from either circuit workouts but they do exhaust my muscle toward the end so they are getting worked. I actually feel my legs getting workout with the upper body. I've done upper circuit and lower circuit in 2 consecutive days and my thighs seem to be the only muscle fatigued LOL

I think with many of us it just depends on are muscle composition and how much we use during the circuit. I lift 45 1 arm rows during rwh back. I think the upper body circuit I used 20 for the high rep stuff. The workout leans more to a metabolic weight workout for me if I follow cathe's weight/speed/reps.

Maybe someone else will chime in - Natalie tends to be in the know regarding weight stuff

Hi Everyone,

while working circuit with light weight, muscles are worked====Endurance ( as long as you are lifting 65% of your one rep max) i.e ability to lift x weight load for long
period of time ;-). LIHI legs, and upper body are designed for lifting heavy for muscle growth and strength.The ability to lift a certain weight load but not for a longer time===pure strength ( over 80% rep max and hypertrophy ( 75-85% one rep max).Different type of muscle fiber come into play.

Yes muscles need to recover 48hours ideally. It is actually during the recovery that the magic happen;). Each person has, depending on the level of fitness, his own recovery ability.
Fitter we get, quicker we recover. So giving 24 hours now and then would not harm a super fit individual ;)
We all need to respect and listen to the body.

Last edited:
wonderwoman, I consider HCLB to be HiiT cardio with toning. My legs aren't sore after HCLB, but I can feel it in my postural muscles along the sides of my body. Using the weights keeps the heart rate up. I feel like my legs get some toning with the plyometrics and the weights (different muscle fibers).

My upper body is weaker so I get a little more soreness after HCUB. I can't use the same weights Cathe uses for that one, but still get more toning with the weights I use.

Like cafelattee, my thighs get sore from all the jumping if I do back to back HiiT workouts!

Beth

Hi Everyone,

while working circuit with light weight, muscles are worked====Endurance ( as long as you are lifting 65% of your one rep max) i.e ability to lift x weight load for long
period of time ;-). LIHI legs, and upper body are designed for lifting heavy for muscle growth and strength.The ability to lift a certain weight load but not for a longer time===pure strength ( over 80% rep max and hypertrophy ( 75-85% one rep max).Different type of muscle fiber come into play.

To clarify,

If the weight lifted is < than 65% one rep, the workout is a circuit cardio.
It's a conditionning/toning workout.

I increase the weight loads on days I want more than cardio + toning.
For LB circuit, I use a 70-lb BB for all appropriate exercises (squats, plie squats, both sets of deadlifts, static lunges) and increase the DB weight by at least one increment for all other weighted exercises (e.g., 20s become 25s).
For UB circuit, I increase the weight significantly for the more straightforward/isolation moves like bicep curls and one arm rows (as Cafelatte notes, Cathe uses only 20 lbs for 1 arm rows for UB circuit). For the funkier shouldery-moves, like those lunges with arcs, I stick with Cathe's weight or add a pound or two. I don't want to tweak my shoulders.

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.