Rep count--do you like surprises or do you want to know the number?

In Cathe's 10/29/15 Mish Mosh Legs Live workout she said something that got me thinking. During the alternating pulsing reverse lunges, she said "I'm not going to tell you how many we have left because I want you to focus on the muscle and not the number." (I'm paraphrasing.)

My reaction--since I always talk back to Cathe--was "no, please tell me the number!" My mindset is that I do better when I count and know how many reps remain. If I know I have X number of reps to do, I can tell myself "just give it your all for X many more reps." If I don't know how many reps are left, I think I hold back because I don't want to burn out too quickly and not be able to finish the exercise.

What do you all prefer? I don't think there's a right/wrong answer, just curious how others feel about it!

Lisa

ETA: I'm referring to the higher rep endurance or metabolic workouts, not routines like Burn Sets.

Last edited:
Hmmmm good question! I think I agree with others! I start to poop out and form suffers if I think I'm going to go on forever. If I know the number, I can then concentrate on good form and my own counting along with pumping myself up for 10 more, 5 more aaaahhh! If the rep count is low I might try a heavier weight and see if I can actually complete that with good form.

In Cathe's 10/29/15 Mish Mosh Legs Live workout she said something that got me thinking. During the alternating pulsing reverse lunges, she said "I'm not going to tell you how many we have left because I want you to focus on the muscle and not the number." (I'm paraphrasing.)

My reaction--since I always talk back to Cathe--was "no, please tell me the number!" My mindset is that I do better when I count and know how many reps remain. If I know I have X number of reps to do, I can tell myself "just give it your all for X many more reps." If I don't know how many reps are left, I think I hold back because I don't want to burn out too quickly and not be able to finish the exercise.

What do you all prefer? I don't think there's a right/wrong answer, just curious how others feel about it!

Lisa

ETA: I'm referring to the higher rep endurance or metabolic workouts, not routines like Burn Sets.

I am way more likely to give up (it's all the mindset) if the reps start seeming interminable: largely, this is moves like legs lifts, fire hydrants, inner thigh squeeze with ball type moves.

So, I NEED TO KNOW!!!!!!!

Clare

What an interesting question. Normally I do not care & just try to do what Cathe is doing. I do feel proud myself if I can get all the way through her "surprise" or "gifts"! That doesn't mean that I don't curse at the TV. It does give a bit of the feeling that she is here with me asking to do that little bit more, so overall I feel I like it!
Now, though, due to issues that have come up again, I am going slow & have been ordered to keep reps to 11 or less with anything involving the shoulder or serratus (basically nearly everything), so I may just have to try modified paper programs for a bit.

I am one of those who want to know the rep range of programs --- It is just for planning purpose. That said, During the program I do not need to know:). As soon as I start thinking about counting, I start counting out loud, depending on the program if It is a standing move I would eventually walk forward and back:D:D:D. That is my way of avoiding thinking too much about how many reps I have left for those endless pizza press reps, partials, low pulses etc...:p:p That my way of managing the BURN:eek::D ---- I should say that is how I manage the endurance burn!

Last edited:
I agree with everyone here -- I want to know so I can count down (or break down into fractions, like Justine -- Cathe, take note -- please no rep counts in prime number amounts :p). I can count down from 64, but if I have no idea how much longer, I'm more likely to take a break (then find out we were almost done, anyways, and I could have just kept going and finished it out).

I've always counted and find it impossible to stop. For me, it's more of an OCD thing so I just always count. I cannot stand to do more or less reps on one side than the other. But I find it never distracts me from feeling any kind of burn. If I know the count, I know when I can go deeper or heavier during certain moves.

I also like to know the reps. One reason is as stated above - if there are "only" 8 more to go, I tend to finish, but if I don't know I am more likely to let form go or stop and get a drink of water. Also, there are a few moves I need to start a beat or two ahead of Cathe and crew because it just takes me a bit longer to do the move (I am much taller than Cathe and physics takes over...). If I know the total reps, I can separately count in my head.

I also like the count-down timers on videos - such as HiiT and Spin videos. Especially for spin I get worn out and want to stop, but when I look up and see I "only" have one more minute, I know I can do anything for one more minute! (In the words of Cathe).

I even like the count-down timers of the rest periods. Lets me know if I can keep walking around or get another drink of water, etc.

That being said, if she started with "We have 100 Pizza Presses", I might psychologically get annoyed! The very very high rep mundane moves, I would prefer X seconds. I know you would probably be uneven, but "60 seconds" of a move sounds better to me than "100 reps" of a move.

I agree with everyone here -- I want to know so I can count down (or break down into fractions, like Justine -- Cathe, take note -- please no rep counts in prime number amounts :p). I can count down from 64, but if I have no idea how much longer, I'm more likely to take a break (then find out we were almost done, anyways, and I could have just kept going and finished it out).
Prime numbers would be wrong on so many levels....doing 17 reps. No way! If a workout calls for 6-8 reps, I'll do 6 or 8. Never 7. The only exceptions? 2 and 3.

Ok, so now you all know how weird I am...

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I also like to know the reps. One reason is as stated above - if there are "only" 8 more to go, I tend to finish, but if I don't know I am more likely to let form go or stop and get a drink of water. Also, there are a few moves I need to start a beat or two ahead of Cathe and crew because it just takes me a bit longer to do the move (I am much taller than Cathe and physics takes over...). If I know the total reps, I can separately count in my head.

I even like the count-down timers of the rest periods. Lets me know if I can keep walking around or get another drink of water, etc.

That being said, if she started with "We have 100 Pizza Presses", I might psychologically get annoyed! The very very high rep mundane moves, I would prefer X seconds. I know you would probably be uneven, but "60 seconds" of a move sounds better to me than "100 reps" of a move.

Another tall person here (often start early, or go longer to get the reps in then rewind): totally agree on all counts, but especially, the "60 secs sounds better than 100 reps"!!!!!

It's all in the mind.

Clare

I want to know the rep count just to keep me motivated. When you get long repetition of lunges with dang pulses what make IMO like more reps just drives me nuts. I keep doing them cause I get a great leg workout but hate the looonnnngggg lunge pulses stuff. I prefer straight count weight work.

I always count my plies squats holding barbell in the front --- somehow I need to count to pick myself up phew swiftly
and carry on with the remaining part of the program:p:p

Lol pulses --- One of the best are pulsing hover squats ouch!! oh how about pulsing bulgarian squats elevated on
high step. This is one of the most excrutiating time which makes the counting not possible. My mind is just too
busy thinking how I am going to get out of the tension LOL.

Also, there are a few moves I need to start a beat or two ahead of Cathe and crew because it just takes me a bit longer to do the move (I am much taller than Cathe and physics takes over...).

Gobias, good point about the height factor. Every time Cathe does side walking plie squats (which she does a LOT in Cathe Live), I either have to start earlier or go longer to match Cathe's rep count, so for that reason knowing the total reps is very helpful. I don't want to cheat and do few reps! ;)

I don't necessarily need a countdown timer for rest periods (although I do like them in STS), but at least something like "we'll start the move in 8 counts" or whatever is helpful. It helps my focus and performance. If something starts before I'm mentally or physically prepped, I get winded faster and just don't do as well with it.

Lisa

I count everything; stairs, cars, items in my shopping cart, so it stands to reason that I would count reps. Cathe's reps are usually right on. She has class members count for her (myself included) in her "Cathe Live" class. So it makes sense, when an instructor says "4 more," I expect 4 more. Some instructors will say "4 more" then do 12 more. Some say "a couple more" then do 8 more. A "few more," turns out to be 2 sets of 8,more. I guess my point would be, if it's Cathe saying 8 more, it will be 8 more. Same with KCM. Most instructors are very good at counting. But, there are a few that, not so much

Last edited:

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.