Rebounding

runathon

Cathlete
I recently purchased an Urban Rebounder. I like it.

My question is: for those of you that use your rebounder, what videos/dvds/workouts/instructors would you recommend? I would like to get some dvds where the actual workout is about 60 minutes long and challenging.

Bita...I know you rebound every day..., and others...any suggestions?

Oh, and why do my toes hurt!?

TIA!

Blessings from our home to yours...Runathon http://www.handykult.de/plaudersmilies.de/lach.gif[/img]

Glad you like it! Which workouts did you get with your rebounder? There are few if any which are 60 minutes long. Jerry James has one called Champion Rebounding which is quite good. He is also releasing a new one I think next week. His first is on sale on his site at a reduced price. I would try that one for sure.

:)

I wrote a long reply to this earlier, but my computer at work went on the fritz before I posted :( Here goes again!

Of the current rebounder workouts, there aren't many that are 50-60 minutes long. I like the original Urban Rebounding workout, which is about 50 minutes long (including some ab work and leg (?) work at the end). UR "The Challenge" is good, but only about 40 minutes long. My current favorite rebounding workout is Fitprime's "G-force," which alternates cardio on the rebounder (wearing light weighted gloves) and weight work. I'm waiting for the DVD to come out, which will make it possible to skip the weight work and just do the cardio (with some repeats).

There are some new UR workouts out, but they are quite short. The longest is about 30 minutes, and there is even one ( "African bound" I think) that is only about 15 minutes of workout!!

More than using rebounder-specific workouts, I prefer to adapt other workouts to the rebounder. Though I never use her workouts the way they are set up (ie: as floor aerobics), I've collected a few of Leslie Sansone's 3-4 mile walkiing wokrouts (40-55 minutes) that I adapt to the rebounder. I try to tune out Leslie (she's quite chatty) and just listen to the music and follow the beat, and change moves when the class does. I substitute higher intensity moves for those in the workout. For example, instead of walkiing in place, I jog, or do high knee jogs. When they do side steps, I do jumping jacks (sometimes changing the pattern, like doing two jumps out, two in, one out, one in, one out, one in, repeat) or, when the music is too fast to do that, a side "skater's hop." When they do knee-ups, I do a high jog, or a sprint.

It's fun to make up moves, or use some of the moves I've learned in "G-force" or from the UR workouts.

Some other workouts that adapt well to the rebounder are Cathe's Maximum intensity Cardio (floor portion), and a workout called "Plyorobics challenge," that is designed to be done on a mat that absorbs impact (available from www.ployrobics.com I think!).

As for the hurting toes: don't bounce barefoot! If that's not the problem, then you might want to try bouncing so that your weight is more through the heels (that's how Tracie Long instructs in "G-Force") rather than the balls of your feet.

I'm constantly amazed at the different exercise video/DVD products that are out there. The plyorobics mat was another new one on me. Kathryn, you always have such good information and I'm always interested in knowing what you have to say on various posts and especially regarding equipment and videos. How do you find out about all these things--from fitness magazines or classes and certifications you attend? Again. Thank you.

Hi runathon,
If you want dvd, I really like the Urban rebounding basic, advanced, and challenge dvds. They are about 30-40 minutes each and you can do couple of them to make up the 60 minutes. I use 2-3lb each hand weighted gloves and that boosts up the intensity beautifully. If you want vhs, I also like the original urban rebounding, interval bound, sport specific bound, kick and bounce, keep on rebounding, G-force. Again, none of them are 60 minutes by itself, but I mix and match.
I didn't much care for the champion rebounding, but I know many like it. He is coming with some new ones also. I use tons of great music cds too and make up my own routine with my own desired intensity.
Your feet and toe muscles might be sore due to their different workload. Like any muscle soreness it should adapt and heal nicely. I rebound barefoot sometimes if I am not going too intense, but mostly I wear my w/o shoes.
Have fun!

Hi Runathon,
I just purchased a rebounder about a week ago. I haven't gotten any rebounder workouts yet but I've used MIC the floor work part, I got a great workout modifying circuit max,I've also modified cadio kicks. If you're creative and keep safety in mind, the rebounder kicks up the intensity and has a great sweat factor!!Have fun with it!:) :)

Wow! Thank you so much for your replies!

As always, Kathryn, you are full of information! I am so glad you saw my post and replied to it. ;-) Thank you, that was wonderful advice.

Bita, I was wondering what you did since you basically use your rebounder every day. Good idea to put 2 dvds back to back for a longer workout!

I asked JB from UR about longer workouts and he replied that as demand grew, they would consider an advanced 60 minute workout and to let everyone I knew about it.

If we all email him asking for 60-90 minute advanced dvds, he would do them. It all depends on the demand and on how his infomercial goes. BTW, I have never seen the informercial myself. His email is [email protected] for whoever is interested in asking him about it.

I have also considered doing MIC and CK on it but did not think I could do CM. Lately, I find myself disliking these particular workouts because of all the jumping and the impact. Could be I am getting old? :p I love running, though. Go figure.:D

I truly appreciate everyone who took the time to reply to my question.

If anyone else has more suggestions.....I am listening!

Thanks!

Blessings from our home to yours...Runathon http://www.handykult.de/plaudersmilies.de/lach.gif[/img]

runathon,
Mainly I do one hour of weights, interval training, aerobics, or step, then I do 20-40 minutes per day rebounding. For example now I am doing Cathe's December blast rotation, but I add 20-40 min., depending on how much time I have, of the rebounding. So rebounding for me is like a boost of fun! :)

Hedygs, I got the instructional one, the basic and the intermediate. They look good and I have kind of tried the instructional 20-25 minute workout. I had to stop to tend to the family! ;-)

Thanks for the suggestion on Jerry James. I'll do a search for his website and or go to collage for reviews, etc.

Thanks!

Bita, your routine sounds like mine, except for the rebounding. I am going to have to work it in! It is fun, I agree. When you try doing the same moves on the floor, you realize how hard the impact is when compared to the same movement on the rebounder. I am glad I decided to get it.

>Kathryn, you always have such good information
>and I'm always interested in knowing what you have to say on
>various posts and especially regarding equipment and videos.
>How do you find out about all these things--from fitness
>magazines or classes and certifications you attend? Again.
>Thank you.

Guess I'm just obsessive-compulsive, or maybe just got into the habit of doing thorough research while I was writing my dissertation. I read a lot of magazines,and books, and keep up with things on videofitness.com, and do a lot of experimenting myself. I also "collect" a lot of videos (100 is what I try to keep it at, but every time I do a clean-up and get rid of extras, I seem to have the same amount just a short time later!) and equipment.

I've never gotten certified in fitness, but one of books I've read is the ACE Personal Trainer's manual (the text that's used to prepare for certification tests). I've thought of taking the test "just because," but the technical info on how muscle fiber works doesn't seem to stick in my brain very well!

>I asked JB from UR about longer workouts and he replied that
>as demand grew, they would consider an advanced 60 minute
>workout and to let everyone I knew about it.
>
>If we all email him asking for 60-90 minute advanced dvds, he
>would do them. It all depends on the demand and on how his
>infomercial goes. BTW, I have never seen the informercial
>myself. His email is [email protected] for whoever is
>interested in asking him about it.
>

I would have liked to have seen multiple workouts on one DVD. With a little thought, they could have fairly easily combined something like "advanced" and "interval bounce" and "sports specific" (I only have "advanced", but the other two sound like similar types of workouts at similar intensities)on one DVD, with chapters that would allow us to make our own longer workouts (but I guess we can't expect all workout DVD producers to come up with great chaptering and premixes and combo DVD's like SNM does).

If UR is concerned that most people won't want 60 minute workouts or longer, this would be a wonderful solution!

>Some other workouts that adapt well to the rebounder are
>Cathe's Maximum intensity Cardio (floor portion), and a
>workout called "Plyorobics challenge," that is designed to be
>done on a mat that absorbs impact (available from
>www.ployrobics.com I think!).
>

Oops! That's " www.plyorobics.com " (can't edit my original post because it's past time :( )

Kathryn, you should email JB with that post!:p Couldn't agree more.

Runathon,
I don't know about Plyorobics Challenge on the rebounder but I believe that www.stagestep has it on sale for $15.00 instead of $19.95. They don't have the discounted amount on their site but I think you can call them for the deal. To find a phone number go to www.stagestep.com and check.
Hedy

Everyone,
How would you compare the rebounding to regular hi impact (i.e. using MIC floor)? Also, how much space does it take up?

>Everyone,
>How would you compare the rebounding to regular hi impact
>(i.e. using MIC floor)? Also, how much space does it take
>up?

Spacewise, rebounders are about 40" from side to side (you'd want to have about a foot of space around it in case it moves during the workout).

I don't know what aspects of rebounding/hiimpact you want to compare, so I won't answer that question yet.

Kathryn- how does it add up cardio-wise? Would you say its easier or harder than doing MIC on the floor? I'm always looking for a new powerful cardio workout that can pack a real punch. I can finish all of Cathe's step videos (sweating a lot, but I can complete them).
How would the rebounder workout compare?
Thanks!

>Kathryn- how does it add up cardio-wise? Would you say its
>easier or harder than doing MIC on the floor? I'm always
>looking for a new powerful cardio workout that can pack a real
>punch. I can finish all of Cathe's step videos (sweating a
>lot, but I can complete them).
>How would the rebounder workout compare?
>Thanks!

It's a bit hard to say. A lot of it depends on how much you put into it. I can't give my all to MIC on the floor because it will bother my knees, but I can give my all (and more) on the rebounder, because it cushions my knees. I can also do things on the rebounder that I avoid (like running and sprinting) on the floor. On the other hand, the cushioning effect of the rebounder, and the fact that it helps you a bit on the "up" movements, could decrease the intensity somewhat, but if you're putting more into it than you would on the floor (like I do), then it should about even out.

You can really add intensity to the rebounder by doing high knee jogs or sprint intervals (run as fast as you can for as long as you can). I love sprinting on the rebounder, because this is something I would never even try on solid ground, and it feels so powerful.

By the end of a "modified" Leslie Sansone workout, I'm sweating buckets, and I feel like I've had a good cardio workout.

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.