Question on gloves/pace weights/ rest time!

shanihib

Cathlete
Anybody having a seriously hard time getting the weights adjusted properly in the alloted rest times?

I'm finding the legs to be the hardest to adjust for some reason... and it is impossible to get to the increments I am supposed to use most times. I can go up to 2 lbs heavier per arm but after that I have to bump up to the next increment of 5. Taking a weight out of the weighted gloves (or putting them back) seems to take way too long especially if I'm adding a wrap around wrist weight too (the way I get to 2 lbs).

I'd love to hear how you are doing this successfully!

I have a pair of 1-lb wrist weights and a pair of 2.5 lb wrist weights. They allow me to go up in increments that work for me, and it doesn't take much time to put them on and take off.

I also have two pace weights (1 lb each, I think) but I'm limited in how much I can use them because I have rubber-coated dumbbells!

At first I was intimidated by the odd weight increments, but the wrist weight option seems to work -- so far.

Good luck!

Shani, yeah, I was having some problems with the first 3 discs or so, but then I got the hang of it. I have 1# weighted kickbox gloves, a pair of 1.25# plate mates and a 2# pair of ankle/wrist weights. These, combined, all allow me to get in between the 5# jumps. BUT....sometimes that means putting on all 3 of those things! LOL There are times, still, that I need to pause for an extra few seconds, but not long at all.

This is one big reason I love repeating the weeks (I'm doing the longer rotation) because the first time thru the disc is a little bit more 'choppy' as I get used to which weights to add on and when.

Gayle

Yeah it is all the gloves, and wrist weights (and taking weights out of the gloves) etc... plus a quick stretch and a drink of water (or wiping the sweat off my brow) not to mention blowing my nose (sinus problems and the workout clears my head LOL). I hope to get better. I know when I need something like 24, I'm just going to 25 to make it simpler and most times I can do it. I'm hoping for better increments as I go along! ;) I think I'll take a look at the 2.5# ankle weights I just bought to see if there is any adaptation I can make, or look for 2.5# wrist weights! Thanks all. I may have to look for some pace weights too since that looks easily the best and quickest option.

I've been having the same problem! I try to get my first few dumbbells set up before the workout starts, and then I constantly have to be thinking ahead to see what weights to use next. I end up having to hit the pause button a bit, but figure that it's better to do that than to have the wrong weights!

I've been using the Pace weights for smaller jumps, and 2-pound wrist weights for bigger jumps. If I keep the wrist weights velcroed (sp?) shut, I can slip them over my wrists pretty quickly to take them off and on.

It's nice to hear that some others are having the same issues! :)

I also paused the player during meso cycle 1. Haven't had to do this during the second meso cycle. I also was using the 1.25 lb plate mates.

I see that there are round 2.5 lb plate mates. Do these work well on the 20 and above pound hex dumbbells?

Many thanks,
Lorrayne

yep!

I'm also using pace weights, and I have had the same difficulties during the leg routines. The problem I'm having is having to add so many more pace weights to the heavier dumbbells to get the recommended amount.

I had to pause the DVD player several times during the leg sesssions.

However, the other mesocycles should be different, because there will be more a rest period. I did disc 1 of Meso 2 today and there were no issues.

I also paused the player during meso cycle 1. Haven't had to do this during the second meso cycle. I also was using the 1.25 lb plate mates.

I see that there are round 2.5 lb plate mates. Do these work well on the 20 and above pound hex dumbbells?

Many thanks,
Lorrayne

I have 2.5 lb round platemates -- they work fine with 15 and up dbs.

I'm using 5/8, 1.25 and 2.5 lb platemates... they do their job for transitions. I usually write down my weights in the terms of platemates, i.e. 8+5/8, 8+1.25 or 8+5/8+1.25, etc so I know exactly what I need to add on.

AWESOME! Thank you for the feedback. I'm going to pick up a couple pairs of the round plate mates. :D

I'm using 5/8, 1.25 and 2.5 lb platemates... they do their job for transitions. I usually write down my weights in the terms of platemates, i.e. 8+5/8, 8+1.25 or 8+5/8+1.25, etc so I know exactly what I need to add on.

I do the same thing. I print out my workout card ahead of time and write (or actually type) what I need to make each odd weight. I actually copy and paste the workout card information into Excel so I can type my weight info. For example, I will need 52 lbs. for barbell rows on Wednesday. Here is what I typed:

15 lb barbell; 2-10 lb plates; 2-5 lb plates; 2-2.5 lb plates; 1 lb in each glove (I also have the Cathe microload gloves).

I glance down when I am doing an exercise to see what is coming up so I can quickly transition to the next exercise during the rest.

I think we are going to get so used to the fast rest periods that we aren't going to know what do do for the longer ones like in Meso 3!

Carrie

Fantastic idea! I'll have to do that (sometimes the brain isn't cooperating when the body is so fatigued!)

Shanihib,

I have to stop and blow my nose a lot, too! Have you ever tried nasal irrigation before working out? I haven't, but recently discovered the technique when I had a bad cold. Hum...may have to try it myself!

I have four 1.25lb platemates (2 sets of 2) that work great, but I think I'm really going to need to get the 2.5lb set. Does anyone know where these can be purchased? I would prefer retail, but could order them online for the right price. Thanks!

Shanihib,

I have to stop and blow my nose a lot, too! Have you ever tried nasal irrigation before working out? I haven't, but recently discovered the technique when I had a bad cold. Hum...may have to try it myself!

Good idea! I have done it (years ago) and it is effective to help in general. I think if I were working out in the afternoon it wouldn't be such a big deal but because I've just woken up my sinuses still need to clear. (sorry TMI I know) I may give that a shot. Thanks GeoMom! (of course, exercise helps too! LOL):p

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.