Question for hair experts

rjroubi

Cathlete
Yesterday, I went to a new salon and had my highlights and lowlights done and my hair turned out reddish (just what I begged her not to do). Anyway....I paid and even tipped her (why? I have no idea because she did exactly what I explicitly asked her not to do). Needless to say, I hate the color and want to get them redone today by my usual place. Please tell me I can without my hair turning green or purple. My hair is in fairly decent shape so I think it can handle more damage. Can I do it? I really can't stand this color with my skin tone. Ick!

Sorry about the color being not right....:(...I would say as long as you let your usual hairdresser know exactly what product the new salon used on your hair you will definitely avoid green or purple!! But another process so soon can damage the hair somewhat...HTH

edited to add...no hair expert here, but I have worked in hair salons as a nail tech for about 17 years...:)

This is probably a question for a hairdresser but if you know the brand of color she used, try to contact them. I know Wella colors were used in my hair a few years ago and my hairdresser contacted them to ensure that she was mixing the colors correctly in order to get the correct shade (I hate red too!) Good luck!

When I went in, oct to have my hair foiled, she had to add some henna to my hair to get rid of the bleached look, and so when she went to rinse, she said she had to use cold water or the color would run. I guess meaning that dark red henna would have been all over my head. I wonder if thats what happened to u.
I would think it could be fixed without waiting, ask her.

Rhonda

I am not a hair expert, however, I would go back to the salon and tell them you are not satisfied and have them redo it for you. I am an expert at getting my hair cut and colored, and I do not hesitate to tell the hairdresser when I am not satisfied (in a mannerly way). Melissa

Yes, they can most likely get the red out. I had something similar happen to me recently. I don't highlight my hair since it damages it. I do get my hair lifted from a level 3 (dark brown) to a level 6 by mixing a 20% perioxide solution with the dye. This method normally leaves my hair a medium brown with shades of blonde highlights.

The only problem with lifting is selecting the correct tone. A golden blonde was used and the "golden" shade pulls red. My hair naturally pulls red, so my regular hairdresser uses a neutral tone. I went to my regular hairdresser a few days later and she fixed it by applying a level 6 ash tone. My hair is now darker than what it normally is after a typical color, but it no longer has that reddish/orange root color. Color doesn't take away color. You have to cover it with another color.

Keep in mind that it may take a couple of months to get the red out. I go back to the hairdresser in a few days and from the looks of it, she might have to add a touch of ash to my regular tone again.

Thank you so much!!! I went to my "old hairdresser" and the red is all gone. :) Angie, my hairdresser, did her magic (and forgave me for straying ;)).... she gave me new highlights and lowlights (to get rid of the ugly red) and I am "me" again....I know I will have to do a lot of extra conditioning in the coming months to come to minimize any damage. (To tell the honest truth the only damage I see is to my ego and my silly wallet.) Anyway.... I learned my lesson well......absolutely, no new salons for me!

To all you hair experts.....you truly are appreciated by your regular customers!!!:) You are the best, even if you are a bit of a drive. ;-)

Glad your hair is ok again. I am a ex stylist and you should try Redken Deep Fuel about every 5 shampoos to help keep a good balance of protein and moisture in your hair. Especially now that it has been color corrected. Stay clear of hot oil type treatments as they can strip your new color that corrected your red pigment. Red's can be very stubborn even though it is a large molecule color.

Isn't it great that an experienced hairdresser can fix bad color! I've strayed a few times and always go back to mine. She's good with color. Also, this salon is the only one around that uses Renbow Colorissimo hair dye and Loreal's Power Dose. I also love, love, love Loreal's Power Dose treatments! There's nothing any salon has ever used for my hair like it. They make one especially for highlighted hair. It makes my hair so soft. The only place besides in a salon that I've found it has been on ebay and a company from Malaysia. The ebay seller is from the UK and sells them in different quantities. I've been tempted to buy a case from the Malaysian company.

Glad to hear you got the red out.

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.