?Pullovers with the Barbell

R_A_C_H

Cathlete
Hi,
I was wondering if anyone can describe how to do the pullovers with the barbell? Don't have the GS series. I tried to figure it out myself but maybe I was doing something wrong because it was too difficult to get the BB down.
Could you also describe the new DEADLIFT that a lot of people seem to like with this new series? Thanks!!!

I do not use the barbell because I feel it's too clumsy and I will hurt my back. I use a 25lb dumbell, grip it on both ends (like in PUB) and then when lifting the dumbell over my head, use the greatest range of motion I can to make sure I can really feel it in my back. This seems to be doing the trick for me.

The new deadlift is done in reverse. Cathe has you on the high step topper. The barbell is near your toes at starting. Then you pull up slowly. She says this targets the "belly" of the hamstrings. Well, if my hamstrings have a belly, they've never been stimulated 'til now.:)

To add to what Candi said, you can use a dumbbell for pullovers. A 25-lb. db is quite hard for me to grasp. I wrap my 5-lb. ankle weight around my 20-lb. db because a 20 is easier for me to hold. But in GS I go heavier and need to use a barbell.

Pinky

Hi Rach~ I really like both of the new moves! The Pullover: I believe Cathe uses a 25# BB. While lying on your back on your bench, bend both elbows close to your side. Keeping the bend in your elbows, slowly lower the BB over your head taking it DOWN towards the floor, then, squeeze the arms (I concentrate on squeezing the triceps) pull the BB back up, keeping the elbows bent. Think of pulling with your elbows. She uses an overhand grip. She also does TWO new deadlifts: one is toes elevated on two 3# DB's. She says you do not want to go higher then that. (I think she makes mention that a soup can height is too high.) The other deadlift move starts in a bent over position while standing on a High Step topper. This allows the BB to go lower then your feet. I think she might use one riser with it also but just the HS topper will give you greater range of motion. Hope this makes sense. Let me know if I need to make it clearer.

Your-Friend-In-Fitness, DebbieH (AKA "Den Mother Debbie")http://www.handykult.de/plaudersmilies.de/wavey.gif[/img] If You Get The Choice To Sit It Out Or Dance...I Hope You DANCE!!!

Pinky,

I never thought of wrapping an ankle weight around my dumbells. Thanks for that tip.

I would add that the two new deadlift exercises place significantly more stress upon the back. Don't do them if you have any degree of back issues.

Clare

I agree with Clare. Both of these moves take a LOT of concentration. Be sure to keep your core tight on both moves!
Your-Friend-In-Fitness, DebbieH (AKA "Den Mother Debbie")http://www.handykult.de/plaudersmilies.de/wavey.gif[/img] If You Get The Choice To Sit It Out Or Dance...I Hope You DANCE!!!

Thanks everybody! One more question...when you say standing on the step with the barbell down at your toes and allowing it to go lower ...do you mean starting with the BB on the floor and bending over to pick it up and lowering it down past your toes to the floor?

No, the barbell never touches the floor. You start the movement in reverse, at the bottom, the barbell rests by your feet. Cathe says "lower than the top of the step. To do that means pushing the barbell slightly further away from the body, so I don't do that. I just let it hang down there by my toes and then begin the movement up to the knee area, then back down again.

It is not a particularly comfortable move really. My hamstrings are just fine since they are very flexible, but this move feels all wrong to me in the shoulders and back. After all, it seems to be a direct contradiction to most deadlifts Cathe does where she warns to keep the shoulders back and down and don't let them fall forwards. Well, how the hell do you keep your shoulders back and down when the barbell is down below the top of your step????

I am dubious and remain unconvinced by this particular deadlift variation.

Clare

>No, the barbell never touches the floor. You start the
>movement in reverse, at the bottom, the barbell rests by your
>feet. Cathe says "lower than the top of the step. To do that
>means pushing the barbell slightly further away from the body,
>so I don't do that.

Me neither. I go as far as the lowest part of my shins. That's it. I can bend lower and make the barbell go down to my toes but it's very stressful on my lower back that way. Just like Clare says, you do have to get the barbell away from you. I go down as far as I can without cracking my lower spine, and this means getting the barbell as close to my body as possible so my shoulders don't slump.

Pinky

I might be wrong but I don't think Cathe means to go BELOW your feet by taking the BB farther out. She (if I am seeing it right) takes it down to touch her toes or the TOP part of her foot, not OUT beyond her feet. She even makes mention of keeping it close to the legs. Does this make sense? I agree though that there is lots of stress on the back and you need to be very careful with your form.

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.