Problems w/pre & post-workout meals

KathyH

Cathlete
Hi Cathe!

I'm hoping you can help me with my dilemma. I workout every night at 7:30 p.m. When I'm weight lifting I eat either fish or chicken with some veggies before my workout & have a protein shake right after my workout. When I do cardio which is usually 2-3x a week I'll only consume a shake no meal. I eat 5 meals a day.

I've read that you should eat the meal at least 2 hrs. before working out so that when you do workout your tapping into your fat stores. My problem is I can't eat 2 hrs. beforehand b/c of work, etc. I don't get home until 6:30 p.m. & need to fix dinner for family to further complicate things. LOL I'm only tapping into the calories that I've consumed before my workout & not the fat store.

Can you suggest anything? No matter what meals I change/switch I never see any results. I'm 5'2" & weigh 110#s but I believe I have 20% of bodyfat. Would really love to decrease the bf%. HELP! Should I do more cardio?

Thanks so much! Maybe STS will bring down the bf%!!!! :)

Kathy

Cathe Please Answer!!

Hi Cathe!

I know this question is a toughy but could you please PLEASE give me some advice.

Also, can't wait to do STS w/you!!!

Thanks, Kathy :eek:)

Hi...not Cathe here but is there any way you could workout in the a.m. for cardio? That way you know you're tapping into fat stores after not eating all night. Also maybe try increasing the duration and/or intensity of your cardio workout to burn extra calories.

I've read that you should eat the meal at least 2 hrs. before working out so that when you do workout your tapping into your fat stores. My problem is I can't eat 2 hrs. beforehand b/c of work, etc. I don't get home until 6:30 p.m. & need to fix dinner for family to further complicate things. LOL I'm only tapping into the calories that I've consumed before my workout & not the fat store.

Try grabbing a Cliff/Luna or some other power bar when you leave work so that you are ready to go when your workout starts.

Those are both good suggestions, however, I would have to do cardio at 4:30 AM!!! Not gonna happen. I really have a dilemma here. My schedule is I wake up at 5:30 have 1 1/2 hr commute to work. Don't get home until 6:30 pm & have to make dinner & clean up for the family. There's just no easy way around it. Don't like to take protein bars as there's too much sugar in them. Tried it & I put on weight from them.

I think I'm just going to have to eat my clean dinner beforehand when weight lifting & take the protein shake & salad after my cardio days. I'll have to eat a larger meal at 3:30 pm at work in order to get in enough calories for the day.

Thanks everybody for trying to help me. Maybe once I start STS & shocking my body, I'll really see a difference. One can hope anyway. :eek:(

Kathy

UGH I'm having a similar problem. I had to work 3 nights straight this week, & my mtgs start too early for dinner but end too late for me to feel comfortable having a large meal (I'm snacking on a small yogurt & a few pretzels before bed). Plus I get home so late I can't get up early the next day for cardio. So frustrating!

Anyway, I have no advice but I feel your pain. :confused:

I'm sorry your going through this too Laura!! I sort of figured it out on my own what I need to do. I'll plan my meals this way for next week:

M1: Egg Beaters omelette w/red onion, pepper & tomatoes topped w/salsa & grapefruit
M2: McCann's fast cooking oatmeal w/protein powder & blueberries
M3: Turkey meatballs/sweet potato/broccoli/tangerine
M4: Chicken/salad
M5: Fish/asparagus
M6: protein shake

Now this will be eaten when I'm weight lifting. But now it gets tricky w/cardio days. I'll probably only be eating Meals 1-5 & will have to skip Meal 6.

The days that you have meetings Laura maybe you'll have to eat a larger Meal 3 in order to compensate. I'll try to come up with something for you.

Are you on any rotations now? What have you been doing? I've been doing Fitnessfreak's Jan. rotation which is kickin' my bootay!!! :eek:) But in a good way. LOL

Take care, Kathy

Great info, thanks Kathy! You made me hungry! :eek:;):D

You know me, I'm doing the same old. Three days heavy lifting at the gym, 5-6 days cardio (when my stinking work schedule allows) & one day circuit. I thought about doing a check-in but my routine is so, well, routine I figured I'd be too boring for everyone else. :p

There's nothing better than having your bootay kicked, in a good way. You go girl! :)

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.

Back