Pregnancy Check In -- 6/6/04

christy g

Cathlete
Hello Ladies,
Well, my last week was a bit slow for workouts. I had four days of walking last week. To be honest, I'm not really worried about workouts right now -- It's hard to get motivated about working out because I feel I have a billion things on my mind to prepare for the baby. I'm currently trying to get some projects at work cleaned up before maternity leave, plus, getting the last minute items for the babies nursery and packing my hospital bag. I've also been doing a lot of reading. I don't feel prepared enough for labor and actually taking care of the baby! The fear of the unknown right now. I'm sure it will be fine once I am there it's just kind of overwhelming right now because this is the first time for any of this.

I have a doctor's appointment this afternoon...I'm hoping I had more progress and baby will be early. :) I can't wait to meet him or her! It just makes me all emotional thinking about it.

Anyway, I think I will stick to walking again this week. It feels so good to be outdoors and work at a slower pace. I ordered P90x for post-partum workouts. Can't wait to try these workouts and kick up the intensity...not to mention getting my body back! ;)

Hope everyone is having a great week!

Christy - you're doing fine with the walking. You're so close I'm sure I'll be the same way when my due date gets nearer.

Unfortunately, I won't be checking in during the next few weeks. I've put myself on self-imposed foot rest! My husband and I went out of town for a long weekend. Despite being mindful of not walking too much, it still took a toll on my feet. So from here on out, I won't do any impact, not even walking, so that I can nurse these feet back to health, even if it takes until after the baby is born.

I'm not too happy about it but it's too painful to workout, even lightly, and I want my feet back! So I'm on my feet for only the necessary moving about. I'm looking at this as one of those life challenges that you're faced with and deal with. It'll give me a chance focus all my attention on the baby's arrival as well as catch up with some other things around here that have slipped.

I did do some light upper body weight training last week as well as Body Fusion. These beginner workouts are going to help me get back to it after the baby arrives and my feet heal. The day will come when I'm doing Cathe's IS again...IMAX2 and all!

Anyway, I'll be lurking to see how everyone is doing and posting on occasion, too.

Have a great week!
Diana
EDD 8/11/04

Hi! I hope you all are doing well. Christy, you will have plenty of time to workout after that sweet baby arrives. Walking is plenty… plus all the other things you will be doing until baby’s arrival. I ordered the P90X videos too! They just arrived today!

Diana, I am sorry about your foot. Yes, you will be back to your workouts before you know it. Even though you won’t have workouts to log, please let us know how you are doing.

Here is my week:
Sunday: PH
Monday: CK
Tuesday:
Wednesday:
Thursday:
Friday: CTX Step & Intervals
Saturday: Off

Lower body work is a struggle now, but I haven’t had to lower weight with upper body. In fact, I have increased weights with upper body. I sometimes sit rather than stand for some of the UB exercises though. As for the lower body, well I have decided our pregnant legs have taken on the weight of pregnancy plus the barbell/dumbbell weight we are using. I think we should factor it in, so I am lifting a lot more than before. :)

Christy don’t be discouraged if you haven’t progressed. With Sydney, I was dilated 1 and 75% effaced at my last prenatal visit (which was a Monday). It was a little discouraging. The following Sunday I went into labor. My contractions started about 1:30 pm. I didn’t go to the hospital until 3 am when my water broke. I was 5 cm when I got to the hospital. I was complete and pushing 45 minutes later. It wasn’t bad at all, and I do wish each woman had it as easy or easier than I. I’ll keep my fingers crossed for ya! As for being prepared, you are reading and have attended childbirth classes. You are more prepared than you think. YOU CAN and WILL do this!!!! It is completely normal to feel overwhelmed. It is new and there is nothing that prepares us except our own experience as children and what we can read and learn from other parents. The good news is your baby is new to this too and you will be his or her everything!! You will be great Christy!

Have a good week ladies!!

Autumn
EDD (Dates) 07-19-04
EDD (U/S) 07-15-04

Opps! It was posted before I was finished. I tried to edit but I couldn't.

Here is my week:
Sunday: PH
Monday: CK & Prenatal Yoga
Tuesday: Tamilee Tighter Assets Cardioblast & PUB (back, biceps, & abs)
Wednesday: PLB
Thursday: Cathe's Basic Step
Friday: CTX Step & Intervals & PUB (Chest, shoulders, & triceps)
Saturday: Off

Autumn,
I just wanted to say thanks for your encouraging words. I had my doctor's appointment today and there is pretty much no change. I am 1-1 1/2 cm dilated and 90% effaced. I guess I was expecting more and then to hear this had me a little bummed out. Plus, my cervix is still really high and it hurt to get checked -- it has not normally hurt to get checked. It was just a reality check. Oh well, I am less than 2 weeks away from the due date now, so, on the bright side, at least there is some progress and I am not sitting on my due date with nothing at all... My goodness, I hope my labor is as easy as yours. Lucky you! :) Are you going to preview the P90x videos? If you do, let me know what you think. After I saw all the postitive reviews and the 20% off discount I could not say no. ;)
I know what you mean about the extra weight -- we are carting around a lot more weight...I'm justifying that as an increased workout! ;)

Diana,
Please keep checking in and letting us know how you are doing. Enjoy your time off...keep you feet up and your spirits high. It won't be long until we are all in the post-partum check-ins. :)

Take care ladies!

Christy,

You are so welcome. My cervix was really high and posterior until I was complete... I hate vag exams anyway (who likes them?? :) but you are so right about the discomfort when the cervix is difficult to reach. I actually may have been dilated further than 5 when I arrived at the hospital, but the nurse could not reach my cervix well enough. I will keep my fingers crossed (and say a prayer) that you breeze through labor!!!!

Yes, I am going to preview P90X... probably this weekend. I'll let you know what I think. My husband says he is going to use these tapes, so I am waiting for him. He is in DC this week... his last week of travel until after the baby. I can't wait!!!!

Well, I am craving some Mud & Bugs cereal (nice and sweet kids cereal), so I am off for a bedtime snack. take care!

Autumn,
You know the P90x is the only workout series that my husband is half way interested in working out with. I am super excited about that. I think he could benefit from this as well. Can't wait to get these DVD's...the trick will be resisting the temptation to use them until after the baby arrives & I'm recovered. ;)

BTW - I wanted to say that your workouts are looking awesome. You are still working hard and that is impressive. Keep up the good work! :)

Thanks again for lifting my spirits with all your nice words. It really does hearing that you have experienced the same things ;) Thanks much!

Hello ladies!

I thought that I would let you know that on my last pregnancy my Dr. started my labor with a vag exam! They all aren't bad!
I still have been to sick to exercise. Yesterday was rough. It has been hard to keep hydrated. I am 8 weeks now so hopefully this will ease up soon.

Have a great day!:)

Hi everyone. I have not posted in a very long time but I always read your posts to help keep me motivated. Autumn when are you due? You are doing great with your workouts. What is the P90x workouts and were do you order? Here is what I have been doing. I go for short walks at lunch too when it is nice. I live in MI and we have been getting a ton of rain so it has not been that often.

Mon:LG
Tues:eek:ff
Wed:pS shoulders/bis and tris
Thurs: spinning class
Fri: Firm total body workout (forget the name of it)
Sat: spinning class
Sun: ME upper body and only 15 min walk.

I have a major sweet tooth so i need to start watching that and it is so hard. Every day i want at least something little.

Amanda

Due Date 9/22/2004
Waiting to find out what I am having but I am convienced it is a boy. We will see

Allison,
Good to know that not all exams are painful :)
Hang in there with the morning/afternoon/night sickness. I did not start getting into a routine with workouts until around 13 weeks because of my sickness. It should get better! And, like you I noticed I was thirsty all the time in the beginning - I took it as a clue that water is important now, more than ever! Our little babies need plenty of fluid to swim in ;)

Amanda,
The P90x series is available at http://www.beachbody.com. It is a new series designed for muscle & strength gains -- among other things. It's a tough series from what I am reading, but, well worth it. Supposedly, I will be able to do a pull up -- I can't even do one! Pull up weenie here!! There are a few trailers and some other fun things to sift through on their website. Also, on Cathe's Open Discussion forum and www.videofitness.com forum there are a number of posts about what is so good about it.
I live in Illinois and we are getting much of the same nasty storms you are getting. I'm so sick of rain! The mosquitoes are horrible now and we expect them to get worse, so, I can't even take walks in the evenings without putting OFF on.

Take care!

Hi,

I'm newly pregnant (for the third time) and new to Cathy's workouts and forums. I bought Maximum Intensity Cardio a few months ago and can almost make it to the very end now. It was a major feat just getting through the floor section. I love her workouts because they make me feel like I did when I was 20!

Anyway, I'm looking forward to hearing all your information on the other videos because they seem to be major plateau breaker. I've hit a major plateau lately but nows probably not the time to do something more about it.

Just wanted to say hello.

Allison

Hi Amanda! I am so happy you joined us this week, hope to see you next week! Thanks about the workouts. You are pretty awesome yourself... Spinning 2x's per week. WOW!!! I am due in 4 weeks (today) by U/S and 4 weeks 4 days by dates!!!! YIPPEEEEEEE!!!!!! Christy hooked you up with the P90X information at BeachBody, and there are several thread on the Open Forum about the series. I will preview these this weekend... I may take a sneak peak tonight... but I am really tired since I worked a full clinic today.

I completely identify with the sweet tooth... I try to satisfy with a sweet cereal... Mud & Bugs is my cereal of choice at the moment. But, I must confess, I have indulged often this pregnancy.

Christy,

My husband is the same way about workouts. He has watched me doing Cathe and said he may give it a try but he never has. He may try these workouts though, he actually read the nutrition guide that came with the P90X. I am shocked!!!!! :) I'll give him a break though... any free time he has is spent with Sydney. He is really busy with business, travel, home improvement projects, and classes (he just finished his MBA last night... YAHOOOOO!!).

I am with you on the waiting too. My uterus would probably put a stop to P90X. I have had to really decrease the intensity of cardio this week, because I start having contractions of moderate intensity when I do cardio. I couldn't even finish my cardio yesterday, I walked around the house most of the workout. :) Thank you for the encouragement regarding my workouts!!

I am glad my labor/delivery story lifted your spirits! You are very welcome!

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.