Please continue to consider the advanced level exercise...

jordan

Cathlete
Hi Cathe,

I posted these comments on a thread in the ask Cathe Forum but I thought they should also be in the Suggestions Forum. If anyone has similar requests for future workouts that are for advanced level exercisers, please chime in.

I've been mulling this over for a few days because I didn't want to make a request that offended anyone. However, I do feel that in order to make a decision you need all the input that you can get. If I don't speak up then I will lose. Simply put, I agree with Yen. (Yen, if you see this thread please repost your comments from the Cathe Forum to this thread.)

Years ago, there used to be FLAME threads that discussed Cathe branching out to the beginner/intermediate market. I used to see so many people against this idea. I was one of the ones that didn't see the harm. I wanted Cathe to branch out to others because she is such a good instructor. Now, I understand what all the concern was about.

I see a lot more requests for watering down the workouts and disgruntled comments about the complexity, intensity & power moves. More and more requests for beginner workouts and more modifications. It is hard to find a middle ground that pleases both the advanced and beginner.

I find BACKGROUND MODIFIERS DISTRACTING when I'm using a DVD workout. An extra chapter of modifications might be a solution. However, if it takes up space needed for something else on the DVD, I would not be in favor of it. Also, if an extra chapter adds more time to the production process, adds to the price or interferes with the playback of the DVD, I would not be in favor of this feature. Maybe a tutorial on the site would be nice. Again, if a tutorial section interferes with the time constraints of other projects, then I would rather do without.

I would just like to see Cathe workouts continue to fill the niche of the advanced market. I would like to see challenging, fun, advanced workouts that when used over and over don't get stale from excessive breakdowns, modifications or tifting.

Please keep this in mind & thank you for listening,

jordan

IMO I think a seperate DVD of tutorial moves and instruction be available for the beginner to purchase. I think that way everyone has a choice. just a thought duck

I have to say that when I was intermediate I wanted Cathe to produce those kinds of workouts. But now that I'm in-between I can see that continuing with advanced workouts is by far better.

I modify with Cathe's suggestions on all DVD's and getting stronger and therefore more apt to do her workouts. If she showed intermediate workouts (one way or the other) I probably wouldn't have pressed myself to get to this stage. As I get stronger my goal is to achieve the workout and then beyond. You can't set those kinds of goals with intermediate workouts. I don't mind lower impact or lower anything, as long as it is advanced.

I have grown into these workouts and even though I've requested intermediate workouts in the past, I would prefer advanced ones.

I totally agree with you Jordan! Please stay with the advanced market. That's what makes Cathe so unique.

Using the premixes will help with all levels, depends on what you want.

Janie

The idea is to die young as late as possible

www.picturetrail.com/janiejoey

0607_10008295321.gif

Janie, I made my own on meez.;)
But how do I make my picture BIGGER???
Janie, On your picture trail the (Reminder) that I am refering to is the Exercise poster. where did you get it?

Rockael,

For the animated picture, when Meez tells you to save then do that. Then transport your Meez. It will bring you to a place where you can adjust your picture to a bigger or smaller size. It also allows you to copy that into a forum. Like here at Cathe's.

For the reminder poster, I've forgotten where, but all you have to do is google for exercise poster, and it will come up.

PM me if you have anymore questions, and I'll do my best to answer them for you. Hey, Welcome aboard.

Janie

The idea is to die young as late as possible

www.picturetrail.com/janiejoey

0607_10008295321.gif

>Hi Cathe,
>
>I posted these comments on a thread in the ask Cathe Forum but
>I thought they should also be in the Suggestions Forum. If
>anyone has similar requests for future workouts that are for
>advanced level exercisers, please chime in.
>
>I've been mulling this over for a few days because I didn't
>want to make a request that offended anyone. However, I do
>feel that in order to make a decision you need all the input
>that you can get. If I don't speak up then I will lose. Simply
>put, I agree with Yen. (Yen, if you see this thread please
>repost your comments from the Cathe Forum to this thread.)
>
>Years ago, there used to be FLAME threads that discussed Cathe
>branching out to the beginner/intermediate market. I used to
>see so many people against this idea. I was one of the ones
>that didn't see the harm. I wanted Cathe to branch out to
>others because she is such a good instructor. Now, I
>understand what all the concern was about.
>
>I see a lot more requests for watering down the workouts and
>disgruntled comments about the complexity, intensity & power
>moves. More and more requests for beginner workouts and more
>modifications. It is hard to find a middle ground that pleases
>both the advanced and beginner.
>
>I find BACKGROUND MODIFIERS DISTRACTING when I'm using a DVD
>workout. An extra chapter of modifications might be a
>solution. However, if it takes up space needed for something
>else on the DVD, I would not be in favor of it. Also, if an
>extra chapter adds more time to the production process, adds
>to the price or interferes with the playback of the DVD, I
>would not be in favor of this feature. Maybe a tutorial on the
>site would be nice. Again, if a tutorial section interferes
>with the time constraints of other projects, then I would
>rather do without.
>
>I would just like to see Cathe workouts continue to fill the
>niche of the advanced market. I would like to see challenging,
>fun, advanced workouts that when used over and over don't get
>stale from excessive breakdowns, modifications or tifting.
>
>Please keep this in mind & thank you for listening,
>
>jordan
>
>

I share your concerns Jordan. So far, I don't worry that Cathe is going to stray too much from what she has always done best and that's why I keep buying her workouts. Having background modifers doesn't distract me and if that's an easy solution I'm all for it. I just want the high quality kick butt advanced workouts to keep coming!
Angela:7

RE: Please continue to consider the advanced level exer...

janiejoey:
Thanks, That meez is so cute I made myself and my husband too.
I will try and make my picture bigger.
That was so fun and neat.
Can you buy these as pictures? etc.
I am new to these sites and myspace.
My nephew just visited and he had a place on my-space.
My name on meez is:
Brookton.
I have been trying to change my name on Cathe's to my miaden name. I cannot seem to do it, it says it has changed but does not show the change.
i want to change my name to NashBrookton.
Any tips?
Rocky

> I don't worry that
>Cathe is going to stray too much from what she has always done
>best and that's why I keep buying her workouts. Having
>background modifers doesn't distract me and if that's an easy
>solution I'm all for it.

I agree.
Cathe should continue to cater to the advanced market, but a backgrounder showing modifications, or a separate chapter showing modifications for some of the moves (I'd say the torquey, pivoty moves as impact itself is pretty easy to modify) is a nice idea. Since the separate chapter idea may take up disc space that could otherwise be used for premixes, I think the background modifier is the best solution. Many other instructors do it, I don't see why Cathe doesn't (unless it's for some aesthetic reason of wanting uniformity).

Hi,
I agree and disagree.
I agree that Cathe is one of the few that does advanced workout so she should continue with this intensity level but there are some things that she's stated to change and that's good.
one of those things is the crazy high impact. not all of us has knees and goint of steel.
I do exercises videos for years and after a while you deffenetly looking for a challange.
Few years ago I tried CTX and hated it because of the impact and because some of the moves required a lot of space which I don't have.
it took me 4 years to give Cathe's dvds another try.
recently I bought KPC&LG and Gym Style Legs. I absolutly love them!
everything is great about them : the music, the quality, the challanging stability ball exercises,the challanging and fun cardio and alot more. unfortunatly most of her workouts is high impact or heavy weights .
So Cathe if you read this, please continue doing medium-low impact workouts !

I agree that Cathe should continue to cater to the 'advanced exerciser'. I also agree that I find background modifiers very distracting and difficult to follow. I like how Cathe shows you a quick modification, or low impact version of a move and then moves on to high impact (like the side legs sweeps in BM2). For pivots (I have a problem with them because I don't have the best workout surface), I just don't do them. A simple mambo usually subs quite nicely.

Carolyn

Just wanted to add that although I find background modifies distracting in cardio workouts, I would like to see more of them for weight workouts.

Carolyn

I agree background modifiers are disctracing in cardio BUT they do not bother me in weight lifting at all.....

I also agree - BRING ON THE HIGH IMPACT - the HIGH INTENSITY - the HOLY CRAP AM I ALMOST DONE feeling }( }( }(

If someone doesn't want the high impact - then for crying out loud - DON"T JUMP on all the moves! Every once in awhile I have to do that myself - but I sure don't want Cathe to start doing that. There are TONS of ideas for modifications but having the advanced dvds gives us something to work towards, plus its MOTIVATING to see Cathe and her gang of hot chicks doing the workouts fullout and COMPLETING them!

LOVE IT LOVE IT - keep up the good workouts!!!

I am all for ADVANCED workouts.

Jordan,

I agree with your sentiments to a point - but wouldn't you rather have an uber tough workout with someone showing modifications in the background as opposed to a luke warm workout?

This is why I love the original Imax so very much - because Cathe shows you the modifications BEFORE the interval starts and then you're left to work at your own level. I love it!!!

I understand that people have bad knees, bad backs, etc - but in my opinion, it is easier to modify a workout in terms of making it less intense than it is to make it more intense. I know you can add power to certain moves or use wrist weights or what have you - but sometimes, as with the Imaxes or MIC's hi/lo, you just wanna jump right in and be blown away by the intensity.

Just my .02.

Cathe:

I turn to you for advanced workouts because you are the best, barring none. I know there are other advanced DVD instructors out there - but nobody compares to you (their instruction, their cuing, their production, their premixes, etc. all pale in comparison to yours).

This may sound harsh, but if people want less intense workouts, there are a PLETHORA of them on the market. In my opinion, it is very hard to find advanced workout DVDs.

Please continue making intense/tough workouts.

Thank you.

>I am all for ADVANCED workouts.
>
>Jordan,
>
>I agree with your sentiments to a point - but wouldn't you
>rather have an uber tough workout with someone showing
>modifications in the background as opposed to a luke warm
>workout?
>
>This is why I love the original Imax so very much - because
>Cathe shows you the modifications BEFORE the interval starts
>and then you're left to work at your own level. I love it!!!
>
>I understand that people have bad knees, bad backs, etc - but
>in my opinion, it is easier to modify a workout in terms of
>making it less intense than it is to make it more intense. I
>know you can add power to certain moves or use wrist weights
>or what have you - but sometimes, as with the Imaxes or MIC's
>hi/lo, you just wanna jump right in and be blown away by the
>intensity.
>
>Just my .02.

Hi Jilly,

I’ve been so busy lately and I’m just now reading this thread again. In answer to your question about uber tough vs. luke warm, hmmmmm, I want the high quality, challenging, fun, & effective workouts that I’ve come to expect from Cathe. I think that Cathe does a good job with explaining or demonstrating choreography & modifications to the advanced exerciser. I have always felt that she struck a good balance for my needs. Over the years, I’ve seen her use several forms of direction from going over moves in the intro to showing modifications during the workout. I have always felt that Cathe injected ideas for modifications to her workouts given her target base.

Again, I like the way modifications have been handled in the past. Some recent posts got me to thinking that I should voice what I would like to see in future workouts. However, I am all for Cathe keeping creative control and doing what is best when it comes to the type of workouts & the need for modifications/explanations.

:),

jordan

I agree - there are TONS of beginner/intermediate workouts......on the market and I want Cathe to continue the advanced workouts!

>Just wanted to add that although I find background modifies
>distracting in cardio workouts, I would like to see more of
>them for weight workouts.
>
>Carolyn
>
>

Hi Carolyn,

I've never been distracted by modifiers in strength workouts like I have been in cardio workouts.

jordan

Jordan:

I, too, like the way the modifications have been handled in the past. I guess I misread (or misinterpreted) your original post. See, I was thinking that perhaps you were worried that Cathe was going to continue to make advanced workouts but have a modifier in the background. Well, I worry about Cathe watering down her workouts to suit a broader clientele and, for me, I’d rather see a tough workout with a modifier in the back than an overall less-intense workout. But I agree with your latest post – Cathe has always done a great job at explaining/showing modifications without having a ‘designated’ modifier in the background.

Jillybean :)

I really think that it would be advantageous for Cathe to appeal to the masses. Everyone can greatly benefit, be it Beginner to Advanced.
So many people are afraid and find step difficult etc.
I think that Cathe should make a Training Step Workout.
It would save beginners rewinding time etc.
Beginners have to start somewhere and for that I personally believe that Cathe is the best.
I wish that I had discovered Cathe years ago. I thought the Firm was the best. Cathe has made the biggest difference, because it is challenging and enjoyable.
After one of Cathe's workouts I feel so satisfied with myself.
Hope I don't make anyone mad with adding in my opinion.
Rocky

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.

Back