Periodization Series, et. al.

suzannaerin

Cathlete
Here are my votes:

1. Slow & Heavy Two, maybe working the negative? Or doing four counts up and four counts down to work the negative and positive equally?

2. A periodization series---Slow & Heavy tapes, Endurance tapes (along the lines of Pure Strength), and Recovery tapes. The premise would be a complete weight training program in which you use the Slow Heavy and Edurance tapes for 4 weeks each, and then you use the Recovery tapes for 1-2 weeks.The recovery tapes should be very light weight or just using body weight (maybe something pilates or yoga based?). I would love to see more floor work for the legs to ensure that all muscles are equally trained to protect against injury (instead of focusing on the "vanity" muscles, i.e., the ones that make us look like buffed babes!!!). This program could be an overall "balanced" strength program in that it makes you stronger, more fit, but also focuses on injury prevention in our all our activities.

3. Cathe, I love your cardio tapes but I can't do them any more due to a knee tracking problem which I'm nearly recovered from :-( I'm sticking to rowing, spinning, and the elliptical for cardio from now on because I want to make sure I don't screw up my joints from impact now that I'm 40. Whatever the other ladies want for cardio is fine, but I would suggest that you might consider something lower impact. Lots of your "target" population are hitting their 40s. Besides, you've done loads of high impact already, so a lower impact tape would be nice for variety. Even maybe a spinning tape (I'm now into Spinervals :)). I'd love for you to do a rowing tape (none's been done, to my knowledge), but I don't think it would appeal to the masses!! Maybe I could hire you to do one just for me? haha, just kidding. We could hook you up with Concept2 to produce one for the rowing crowd!!!

Thanks for asking for input.

Suzanne

I really like your recommendations, Suzanne.

I totally agree with the suggestion for a new tough/heavy weight series, and I also like S&H. If I had one suggestion, could it be made in two parts instead of three? Although I love S&H, it's harder to work it into my rotation because it's broken into three parts. Just a thought.

I'm intrigued by the thought of a formal periodization rotation.

I'd also like to see cardio that would provide an intense work-out, but not cause undue stress on the knees. I'd like to see a new kickboxing work-out, and I loved the punching drills. Those feel so great after I've worked my arms with weights.

Some general thoughts - if you're using a modifier, it would help tremendously if that person is positioned so that the camera can get both you and the modifier on screen simultaneously. Especially when you're starting a new move. For equipment, I'd prefer to stick with the usual props - the items used in the IS were fine. There are so many yoga work-outs out there, I'd rather not see a full Cathe yoga or pilates work-out - but to see these disciplines incorporated into your tape/DVD. Also, and no disrespect intended, the whooping factor in the IS was higher than I'd personally prefer. I'll be the first to admit, it doesn't take much to exceed my whooping quota. (I need a blushing emoticon here!) I tend to use your tapes regularly for a period of time in a rotation, and am already growing weary of the whooping. I am quick to admit that this is my idiosyncracy, and again wish to emphasize that there is no disrespect meant with my comment. I rarely post here, but enjoy your work-outs immensely. Your DVD chaptering definitely has set the standard for the industry.

I'm digging the periodization concept! It sounds like a great series could come from that!

Donna

Fitness~ It's a journey, not a race!

Idea for modifying "Periodization" series

Suzanne, I like the idea of a periodization series very much. I'm wondering whether it might be possible for Cathe to produce just ONE tape (since she is doing a short series this summer) with a series of strength-training exercises that would suffice for all three "periods" -- i.e., (1) for the slow & heavy period, do the exercises at the speed Cathe does it with a heavy weight; (2) for the endurance period, do the same exercises with lighter weight at twice Cathe's speed (thus doubling the reps); and (3) for the recovery period, do the tape with no weights at twice Cathe's speed. or with a very light weight at twice Cathe's speed. Cathe could have a crew member demonstrating each of the three "period" styles.

Just food for thought.

I also would like to second the request for more knee-friendly cardio. I've mentioned often on these Forums that I have one crummy knee, and now as I'm approaching 50 (and wow, does that look weird in print!) I am finding that my "good" knee isn't so good anymore after higher impact weeks (or even after heavy standing weight training for the legs).

Great suggestions, Suzanne!
http://www.clicksmilie.de/sammlung/sport/sport003.gif Kathy S.

I love the idea for the Periodization Rotation! That would be the best! Cathe, please consider doing this. What a great idea!

I also really like this idea! I sometimes think I don't rest enough.

And although I can still do Cathe's cardio, I myself just hit 40 and can see in the future that I might not be able to do this. An intense low impact tape would be fun. I think this is what Cardio Kicks was trying to accomplish (and indeed it did!). I just know anything Cathe does would be great.

Chris

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.