Pentagenarians & Beyond: WB 11/1

WD

Cathlete
Getting us started with a new thread. Not sure if I will do anything today. I only slept 5 hours again. I just wake up after an hour or two, coughing and mind all over the place for silly things and it is a struggle from then on.

Valerie, both of my slow cookers always boiled things to death. Sometimes I would check and with the large one on low I even had food burn on the bottom. I threw the large one away when I got the Instant Pot. I saw some dry beans at Sprouts, but not a huge selection. Cooking your own is so much better than canned.

Good morning. Diane Sue, thanks for getting us started today. This is my rest day, but I did Jane Adams Gentle Yoga, Morning Energy practice for 18 minutes. This short practice helps me move more easily during the day.

Hello to everyone and have a wonderful day.

good morning. woke up too early this morning tho I try hard to switch my internal clock to match current time it doesn't always work.
agree..... my slow cooker destroyed things. so far so good with the IP. maybe my expectations are different. I never felt OK leaving the house with a slow cooker running. things that were supposed to take 6 hours were overdone in 2 and maybe that's just how they worked. it didn't burn anything but it didn't cook anything slowly either.
I haven't seen dry beans since the pandemic arrived. some kidney beans but those are my least favorite. I'm OK with canned beans for small amounts, but for a bigger pot of beans I prefer to make my own.
a beautiful sunny day today but too cold to ride until much later. not sure it will happen.

This morning I did Live Fit Tower Light Total Body Weights. Second time I've done that one and I really like it though it's one I generally curse my way though! LOL Then I did Perfect 30 Yoga. For some reason my heart rate monitor on my Fitbit has been weird today. It stopped tracking my sleep at 4:10 even though I didn't wake up till my alarm at 7, and then it says it doesn't have any heart rate info for my workout even though it also give an ave bpm of 114 on the main exercise screen and under heart rate is shows rates for the whole workout. I hope it's just a temporary fluke.

I had great hopes for a good nights sleep last night. Woke up at midnight to go to the bathroom, laid back down and my phone starts vibrating. It's Nick "where's the insurance in the car?" Now I had told him where it was when I switched cars with him, but I'm also not shocked that he didn't pay attention. I told him where to find it, and he hung up. Checked his location and I can see he's out driving, no surprise since I could tell he got pulled over. Get a text pretty soon afterwards. He'd forgotten to turn his bright lights off. Cop just checked his info and told him to turn them off. Being a Saturday and Halloween, he was probably looking for drunk drivers. Nick had told me he wasn't going to any parties and the college had requested they not have parties anyway as large gatherings have been banned the rest of the semester. So what was he doing - he went to Meijer to get some vegan Ben and Jerry's ice cream as a Halloween Treat. Never mind that at that point, it was no longer Halloween. This morning I verified with Derek that he knew where the info was, though since he drove my car to work last summer, I figured he was more likely to know. Kind of surprised the cop had no issues with him calling me, but then in general the UP is more laid back about stuff than down here. When I texted Derek saying I wanted to make sure he knew where the stuff was, so that I didn't get a midnight call from him because he needed ice cream, his response was "Are you sure you know which son you're talking to? The one who isn't spending any money?" I pointed out that Nick hadn't done it till his senior year, so there is still time. Derek has decided to make it a challenge to go the entire semester without spending any money. Not really that hard since he gets all his food at the dining hall, and his dining money includes a certain amount that can be spent at other places on campus including one where he can buy toiletries and other odds and ends if needed.

Valerie you still have no dried beans there? That's too bad. We had things missing initially, but we've had a decent selection of beans for quite awhile. At Whole Foods, I can even still get bulk as the upper bulk bins that drop stuff down are still in use. The one thing I can't find are yellow split peas which I like for color. I never used my crock pot much, and years ago, the dog we had then managed to drag it off the counter with tomato soup in it. It actually landed upright and didn't make as big a mess as it could have, but the lid shattered. I still had a big pan lid that fit it, but it pretty much got stuck in a cupboard and when I tried it again last year it was dead, so it went in the trash. I very much prefer the instant pot anyway.

Diane Sue sorry to hear you had another bad night. Thanks to the time change an hour of my 3 awake hours included doing 1-2 twice. LOL

Carolyn starting off a rest day with yoga is always a plus.

I admit I haven't looked hard for dry beans. I've bought a few bags of lentils and have not noticed dry beans except for kidney. the bulk foods are back at one store but I haven't looked there although I could have. they ditched the one way aisles recently. I used to shop at a food coop but the close-by store closed and we have not gotten a whole foods or sprouts anywhere close. Not driving an hour+ each way. I haven't looked at amazon either so motivation has not been strong. will put it on on the agenda for this week. I used to buy bulk beans.

oh my a crock pot full of tomato soup.......... would have been monumental.... your sons sound like good kids...

I kept thinking that I might go do some sort of exercise, but wasn't feeling it. School children will be back tomorrow. I went out to water the sod and junipers. I gather reading that I don't need to water them as much as the new sod. I decided to run to Sprouts and get the things I did not get from Whole Foods. It wasn't that much to get though. Odd that Whole Foods were out of chocolate milk. (not for me :)) and chicken sausage links. I ended up picking a couple of more items and some Host Defense Stamet 7 immune defense mushroom drops. I also wanted to pick up the Chef Hak Organic Avocado Lime salad dressing. This has become a favorite and no one else seems to carry it. The first time I purchased it it was only in packets where the salads were. Then they got it in bottles in the refrigerated area. It seems to work well with salads with fruit in them and on ones that are more typical veggie salads. I found some packets on Amazon, but it was a pack of all different flavors.

Carolyn, I like that morning energy practice. It is great for getting the circulation moving and the joints warmed up a bit with some stretching.

Valerie, did you check Amazon. They have some. Sprouts had navy beans, black beans, garbonzo beans, and kidney beans. I always liked black beans and lima beans a lot and sometimes garbanzo beans. I used garbanzos for a meatless burger I used to make.

Cathy, maybe you need to shut the watch down and the app and try syncing again. Although mine said I had 4 hours of sleep when I got up, but it put my sleep start time to 1 am when I went to bed and then the wake up time at the time it would be because of the time change so I think I got 5 hours. I was awake a lot and kept trying to fall back to sleep this morning. Finally laid down upstairs later and just dozing when someone decided to start up their equipment to cut up branches for pick up. That was the end of it.
I bet it was hard to sleep after your son called. Even when they are somewhat approaching adulthood they can sure cause some worry. My granddaughter stayed in the dorms at OU at first and had meals there with options too. The second year she rented an apartment walking distance with some other girls where they each had their own room and bath. They are so funny sometimes. I remember my daughter saying she took her on one of her grocery shopping trips to stock her up on needs and she was insisting she "needed" a large mirror that went with her decor. Funny what is needs :) She did not get the mirror. Now she moved back home and travels when needed. Most of school has been virtual and she has been working at my daughter's doctors office. Funny what your son went out for. I think most police officers have a sense of the character of the person they stop. Highway patrol probably have a different attitude than street police since they are mainly tickets or accidents. Street work is more than tickets and have a sense for helping those in need of help, working domestics, and investigations. They are pretty good at putting together all of the surroundings and attitude and figured it was safe and okay to let your son use his phone to call you.

It turns out that the police officer took his license back to the patrol car while Nick searched for the insurance/registration and Nick quick called me, so the officer didn't know he was doing it. Valerie yes they are really good kids and I still manage to lie awake too many nights worrying.

Good morning ladies!

My son and his fiancé were married Saturday evening! So happy for them. They decided to elope and do it! They have been together for over 10 years, got engaged in Disney this past January, then Covid hit. They have been so stressed trying to plan a wedding during these uncertain times. They love Halloween, so they went to Salem, Ma with a couple of close friends and were married by her best friend. Her friend went on line and received a 1 day certificate to legally marry them. It was so sweet. Oh and of course they dressed as Gomez and Morticia from the Addams family! Loved It! We all watched it thru Facetime and it was beautiful. I balled my eyes out the entire time!! Lol!! Next summer they are planning to have a larger celebration, fingers crossed Covid is history.

Saturday I did a Perspirology Bounce that started off earlier with the high pikes. Loved this. Sunday was Upper Body Pump. This was my 2nd time doing this workout and I really like it. She cracks me up with some of the weights she uses...like that is going to happen with me! As I mentioned the heaviest I have is 20 and I am feeling this workout. I also did a 22 min bounce only from LEKfit. Then of course my 2 walks with GiGi.

Carolyn...I did not do the other yoga workout..going to do it this morning. Monday’s is my rest day (still walking though) but going to do it this morning.

Valerie....I love my instant pot and use it mostly every day. Speaking of beans, I am planning to make Boston Baked Beans in it. This is a favorite of mine and pretty much the only way I will eat beans. I will like the time change...will not be so dark when I walk GiGi this morning. Will be darker at night, but more activity. In the morning when I go with my head lamp on it is soooo quite and sometimes spooky. I have never felt unsafe it is just so quite. The walk ways by the lake and fitness trails have solar lights along them so you can see where you are walking but it is still really dark.

Cathy...glad all was fine with your son. Must have been scary at first to get that call! I bought that Live FT workout, and all the others. I have my fit tower but it is still in pieces from the move. I have made progress in the spare room, however, it is not quite there yet to set it up.

Diane Sue...Hope you had a better night’s sleep last night. I love boiled eggs in the instant pot...I set mine for 7 minutes, do an instant release, then immediate into an ice bath. Shells peel off and they are cooked perfect for my liking! I bought a few kindle recipe books but actually just get my recipes on line. So easy. we have done a few roasts and chickens, that have come out great.

Have a great day all...hello to Deb and Judy!!!

Attachments

• A1C0F23A-6CC2-401B-AE57-DC466D9F55BB.jpeg
    A1C0F23A-6CC2-401B-AE57-DC466D9F55BB.jpeg
    704.5 KB · Views: 11
  • 627FDD39-2415-442D-B303-A095E3F4AA57.jpeg
    627FDD39-2415-442D-B303-A095E3F4AA57.jpeg
    981.9 KB · Views: 11
This morning I did Live Advanced Step Choreography which I liked except for the Burpees. I was doing the burpees okay, but then my knee took issue with the jumping onto and off of the step. So I modified for a few rounds and then did them again at the end. Ave bpm 129, max 154 and burned 237 calories. Then I did the Mobility one.

Lori congrats! Love the pictures and how cool that her best friend married them. Great workouts! Yeah, I'm not using weights as heavy as Cathe for it, except for a few exercises where the weights aren' crazy heavy. Time change is certainly a plus for now in the mornings. It was especially nice when I was still driving kids to school as it meant a better change of seeing deer! They get really bad this time of year. In some areas of the state deer car collisions actually increase by 100% in October/November. Saw a lot of dead deer along the road when I went up to Marquette last week. Way more than I had seen the previous two times. Baked beans in the IP sounds good, I may have to search down a vegan recipe.

This morning I did High Impact HiiT + Pyramid Cardio HiiT + Extended Stretch. That was 49 minutes and 294 calories burned. Average heart rate was 124 and maximum heart rate was 154. I used a lot of modifications to make the high impact work for me but it was still a good workout.

Lori, congratulations to your son and new daughter-in-law. I can understand why they decided not to wait to get married. The pictures are great.

Cathy, great job with Live Fit Tower Light Weights yesterday, Live Advanced Step Choreography today, and the Mobility Basics.

Hello to Diane Sue, Judy, Deb, and Valerie.

Lori, Congrats to your son and brand new DIL! they are considerate doing a limited event with hopes to do a bigger party when the virus has settled down. having a big shindig now puts everyone in an awkward position. my husband and I "eloped" and I never regretted it for a second. never wanted a big production wedding, so we didn't. we did justice of the peace ceremony with friends as witnesses and were done with it! zero regrets.

hiked this morning, and it was totally different from last week. almost all snow was gone, in place was mud, yes lots of mud, and 70 degrees. saw a few mt goats far away, and a grouse. 3 hours up and back, steep but short and very muddy and slippery.

I like baked beans but DH is not much of a fan. haven't made them in ages. he would eat hard boiled eggs but ..guess what... I don't like them at all. I've read IPs do a great job on them.

Around here deer are much more common in the residential areas where they are not hunted, and that ends up putting them on roads regularly. we see occasional tracks in the mts but the numbers are way less, and they are WAY less visible than in the 'burbs.

Last edited:
Thanks all for the kind words. I am still on cloud 9 and happy for them!

Valerie...yes..no way did they want a large event and put people at risk. I know several people now that have had weddings, or get togethers with way too many people together for my liking!!! Crazy during these times.
I forgot you eloped. I remember you mentioning this at one point.

Cathy...you know my thoughts on burpees...does not happen for me. When she does the flies, with alternating legs, she uses way more than I would use. I have done this workout twice and both times I laugh!
I feel a little sore from the workout yesterday so ok with the weights I have.

Carolyn...I am the queen of modifications!! I now do all high impact on my rebounder. No dread and I usually love whatever workout I do. :)

Have a great night all!

Today I did Cathe Live #320 Hocus Pocus, 33 minutes as I wrote out the workout, 28 actual. Plus I had to apologize and snuggle my dog because I tried using a 5# bar for a broom and she came up behind me and I smacked her with it. I changed to just using a ball, but I didn't really need a prop. I burned 90 calories, heart rate 95/137, 1,355 steps. They are so funny and the faces they have painted on their masks. Cathe was a hoot. I thne did Kelly Coffey Super Sculpt step and drills mix, 19 minutes, heart rate 124/150, 96 calories, using 2 # dumbbells, 1,697 steps. I also did Kelly's Box Fit workout #2, weights, 36 minutes, 79 calories, heart rate 90/139, 732 steps. This was 88 minutes, 265 calories, 3,784 steps. I also did Perfect 30 Mobility Stretch mix, 23 minutes (actual 20 as added a bit), 26 calories.
Hocus Pocus 28:51 minutes uses a broom and 10# dumbbells
w/up
cardio
curl/arnold press/hi hinge curls 10# dbs
halo and hop on toes (I think she does this in the low impact perfect 30)?
curl/press/triceps extensions done 8 times 10# dbs
broom overhead jacks
front raise alternating/hip hinge reverse fly 10# dbs
jumps swinge broom overhead and side to side
7 upright rows/hip hinge 6 kickbacks, 1 shrug repeated 4 times 10# dbs
twisters moving side to side with broom
single deadlift/bicep w curls then finishing with 12 reps w curls 10# dbs
jump shoot (I think Cathe said candle shoot, hard to hear with the mask on)
arm combo shrug/ curl /overhead/ out and down 10# dbs ( I did drop to 8# for part of this)
grave diggers holding broom
side bends holding 2 10# dbs 20 reps each
hocus pocus pop squats 32 reps
1 arm row holding 2 10's together 16 reps each
no stretch on this

Cathy, I bet your boys are good and thoughtful because of parenting. Also you schooled them at home and spent time with them. It makes a big difference. It is hard not to worry. I like the Advanced Step Choreography workout. Burpees are tough enough without leaping onto a step and back down to a burpee. I like it better if you hop on and step off before you do something like a burpee. I am not a fan of burpees.

Lori, that is wonderful that your son and his fiance got married. I do hope that you all get to have a celebration soon. Love the clothing choices. At first I looked at the pictures and was wondering at the clothing choice LOL. What a cute idea. I bet that you ecstatic. We got new sod in our yard so have been going out with Gertie. I am not liking it getting so dark this early. I went out with a flashlight and she wanted to go back in the house. I just want to make sure she doesn't paw up the grass as it establishes. I take her out front and invariably other dogs start barking, or like the other day the neighbor who lets his wander in front when he is outside had his dog and someone else was out there with a second dog. No way was I going to get results with that out there and we had workers out there as well. Walking when it is dark is kind of eerie when you are alone.
A couple at my church got married and they just had family and the invite was for everyone to share and watch on facebook. So that is how we shared in the wedding. It was rather hilarious as they were making jokes wearing their masks and all kinds of antics. Lightened up the sadness of the covid virus anyway. We had had the wedding shower just before the virus came out.

Carolyn, nice work on the Perfect 30 Hiit high and pyramid hiit combo. They are good workouts when modified a bit.

Valerie, I had not thought of that with the deer. When we travel away from the city we rarely see any, but there are herds of them here in the city. Makes sense that there not being hunters in the city that they would feel safer. They hang in the wild life park and migrate to the lake area and park here. Although they get in our yards and eat foliage as well. Usually when it is night or early morning is when we see them. Occasionally one gets hit by a car though if it ends up on a main street.

Good morning,

I have been really slacking on workouts this week. Nothing really to report.

Diane Sue, sorry about your sleeping issues. 5 hours is about the max for me too. I wish we could find something that was not harmful, but would do the trick. I like my slow cooker for soups and stews.

Carolyn, good job on the yoga practice and the High Impact Hiit from Perfect 30!

Cathy, nice job on the Fit Tower Total Body workout. Kudos for sticking with it, even with the cursing! LOL. Funny that you got that call about the insurance card....Your sons really need their Mom! LOL

Lori, congratulations to the newlyweds! Was this a surprise to you or did they give you notice that they were doing it? Live the Halloween theme! :) Great pics! How is the new job going?

Hi to Valerie & Judy

Take care,

Doing groceries this morning, then to costco for new tires at noon along with more shopping. doing the whole weeks worth of shopping today. I'm assuming there might be some difficulties over the election outcome and I want to be able to stay away from public places for a few days. this could also be like Y2K and be a non-event. so I will have gotten shopping done a few days early. then of course the virus coming on strong again. this is endless!!
weather here is wet the next 4 days . will get a workout in later this afternoon. did Revd up rumble on sunday but didn't report it, in case anyone is keeping tabs.

I would be a seriously tired on 5 hours of sleep routinely. I get 7- 8 tho always interrupted by the midnight pee run. I usually get back to sleep fairly quickly. no question I don't sleep like I did when I was young. adjustments were made. separate room, quiet, very dark, go to bed earlier, no caffeine after noon. bed by 9:30 even if I read for a while. we do our TV watching time from 5-ish to 8. I can go to sleep earlier at night but the morning wake up is 5-6 no matter what, so to get more sleep.... I go to bed earlier. works for me.

Today I did Perfect Pump Upper Body, Bonus Core, and the Extended Stretch. That was 53 minutes and 302 calories burned. Average heart rate was 125 and maximum heart rate was 164.

Diane Sue, great job with Cathe Live Hocus Pocus, KCM Super Sculpt and Box Fit, and Perfect Flow Mobility Stretch. The clip from Hocus Pocus looked like fun.

Deb, don’t be so hard on yourself for not working out this week. Sometimes the motivation is not there. I usually try doing something that’s short and low intensity when I feel that way. We get this idea of what “workout” means, when we should just focus on movement. That might be a walk or playing with your dogs.

Valerie, you were probably smart to get your shopping done early this week. I have a dental appointment Friday, but that will be my only outing.

Hello to Judy, Lori, and Cathy.

This morning I did LITE Pyramid Pump Upper Body. It’s a great workout, but it is not easy. I did manage to match her weights though I might have referred to her in impolite terms a few times. Followed that with The Perfect 30 Bonus Core, second time I’ve done it and it’s okay, but not my favorite type of core work. Then I did the 20 minute premix for P30 Yoga.

Carolyn great workouts! The bonus cardio is the only thing I haven’t don’t yet.

Valerie the weather gets crazy this time of year. back in the early 80’s, the State of Michigan decided to increase the deer herd so that they could make more money on hunting licenses and they did way too good of a job at it. Within a few years the insurance companies and farmers were all complaining because of the increase in accidents and deer eating crops. Too late at that point. We currently have a deer population of about 1.7 million and only 100,000 are in the Upper Peninsula. Because of the different types of hunting season and licenses it‘s not uncommon for hunters to be able to get deer and it doesn’t make a dent in their numbers. New tires are always such a not fun thing to spend money on but necessary.

Lori my back has been behaving lately (stopped to knock on wood) so that was the first time I’d done burpees in a long time.

Diane Sue, I had to look up that workout! What a riot! I’ll never know for sure why the boys are so good, but I was definitely with them most of the time until they reached 4th and 7th grades and I went to everything they did. Derek, younger one, is far more likely to try to solve problems on his own and let me know afterwards. Nick is the one I get phone calls from. It was always like that and there were things Nick wouldn’t try until he saw that Derek was doing it. But, both of them feel free to tell me anything, and quite frankly some things I just really don‘t need to know.

Deb sometimes a break is just what we need.

No workout today. I got up and got showered and ready so that I could get the children started on school and then go vote. I left at 9 and it took 55 minutes from the time I left the house till I left the parking lot to come home, so not bad. I forgot my cell phone though and was thinking about getting out of line and going home to get it, but since I have been here to vote many times, I estimated the distancing and how long the line was and figured maybe an hour so I was close. I just figured they would have to wake my husband if something came up. They were both on media just like when I left when I arrived home.
I made my chicken curry soup in the instant Pot this afternoon. My granddaughter loves this one and I do to. It is a bit more time consuming with dicing and chopping onions, garlic, ginger and chopped kale, but yummy. I will get a workout in tomorrow. The school work is pretty much caught up. We are just doing extra work that does not need turned in till Thursday. I think since power was out so long they need to get things put up on the links and working. No video lessons of the teacher teaching the math.

Deb, it would be nice to find a natural way to get some sleep. I keep trying to come up with something. When it gets below 5 hours it is hard to function. I make soups and stews all of the time. Now I do it in the Instant Pot. I made stew last week for my husband that is meat and potatoes. I need to remember what I used in it because he came back for seconds which surprised me when I saw it was gone the next morning.

Valerie, it does help if I can get to bed earlier so I can allow for all of the awake times. Last night I had to make 3 trips to the bathroom and put another dry mouth lozenge or some gel in my mouth after getting a drink once every 1-2 hours and trying to get rid of the dry itchy coughing, but I would fall back to sleep. Once it gets light, no matter what time I go to bed, I am generally wide awake and there is no going back to sleep. Speaking of time, I need to go to bed now. I drink decaf most of the time, but do allow one cup of caffeinated coffee in the morning. I was reading a rundown on how long it takes a certain amount of caffeine to run through the system and variables that make it stay even longer. I wish I could drink more caffeinated as the flavor is better than decaf, particularly if I want it flavored.

Carolyn, nice calorie burn for the Perfect 30 upper with extended stretch and bonus core. I need to check out the differences in the Flow Core and the bonus core as I saw a mix on the yoga that added bonus core in place of the yoga flow core. I had an appointment for the arthritis center tomorrow and changed it. They made it for the same time December. I just did not feel like two outings leaving the grandchildren this week. The arthritis center is not around the corner.

Cathy, nice work today. The bonus workouts on Perfect 30 are short. I kind of like the pyramid cardio step bonus with a bit of modifying for the knees. It is good when our older kids feel they can talk and share things. It makes a difference. Funny, more than you need to know :)

I did a mile plus on the treadmill last night plus stacked upper body. still the best uncomplicated weight workout that fits when times is tight. I don't need to pull out every weight I own. I looked at the mobility workout while on the treadmill. looks great! yoga moves without more complicated poses. I will get DH to do this one. I am much more flexible than he is but he has resisted doing yoga more than rarely and maybe will
enjoy this one too.
suburban deer face different risks than those in the mountains but natural selection seems to be working in favor of suburban populations. the more deer the easier it is to find each other and reproduce ( often twins) every year. with landscaping plants and crops they have a steadier food supply in winter and less hunting access in fall. people feed them too. they have to learn to deal with vehicle traffic. a big risk. in the mountains, there is less risk of car collisions, but they are hunted and have a way less certain food supply, and tougher climate. natural predators are more. overall deer do well!

I've never been able to sleep when its light out. I have to bury the clock face so I don't see the glowing numerals. I seem to do best heading to bed as light is diminishing. I started going to bed earlier, getting up earlier. I never could fall asleep driving or flying no matter how tired I am, and sitting up is impossible..

I drink both caffeinated and decaffeinated and cant tell any difference in taste. I don't get the buzz with decaf but too much buzz is not a good thing . I sometimes have a second cup of coffee if we are hiking or riding. it helps me work harder and burns off the buzz.

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.