Pentagenarians & Beyond: WB 10/25

Today I did Walk Strong 3 Step Jam 32 minutes, 159 calories, heart rate 117/146, 3,358 steps. I then did Kelly Coffey Box Fit workout # 1 dvd, 32 minutes, heart rate 121/161, 172 calories, 3,609 steps. I finished off with Perfect 30 Flow timesaver mobility strength and flexibility strength, heart rate 84/103, 23 minutes(20 actual) 59 steps, 28 calories. Total time was 87 minutes, 371 calories, 6,996 steps.

Last edited:
Today I did WS3 One Mile of Motivation for 15 minutes and 110 calories burned. Average heart rate was 131 and maximum heart rate was 148. Then I did Perfect Flow Strength and Flexibility which was 32 minutes and 81 calories burned. My average heart rate was 102 and maximum heart rate was 133. I didn’t love this one, but I will try it another time to see if I like it better. I’m not sure what it was, maybe it didn’t flow together the way that I wanted.

Diane Sue, that’s good that those landscapers finally came to do your project. I heard back from the person who had not called. Our repair is now scheduled for November 9. This is warranty work on our front door. I was getting concerned since this company has always done excellent work with quick follow up.

Cathy, that’s very fitting that your husband experienced the same problem with the car that you told him about. I’m glad that you mentioned the Cathe calendar. I want to preorder mine.

Judy, great job with the Peloton ride, Perfect 30 Bonus Core and Extended stretch.

Valerie, nice work with treadmill and Perfect Pump Upper Body.

Hello to Deb and Lori.

Getting things back to normal today. I did Perfect 30 Hiit High Impact. Didn't have to modify quite as much as I thought I would, but dang was I breathing hard. Ave bpm was 130 and max was 169. Only burned 146 according to my Fitbit. Workout Manager said 232. That's quite a disparity. Then I did the Mobility Stretch premix. Would have done the whole thing, but I had to go to the bank and by the time I left here it was only 30 minutes till they closed.

Judy great workouts! I put Iron Legs on my schedule for this week.

Valerie some workouts do take awhile to get the weights down don't they. I have the small Instant Pot and I love it. I like being able to use dried beans instead of cans or even worse dried beans on the stove. I like to throw together soups

Diane Sue sounds like a great workout combo you had today!

Carolyn hopefully another go with the Yoga workout will be better. Sometimes things grow on you, and maybe that one will.

Did PP low impact HIIT. not that hard IMO. I will look at the higher impact one. usually the jumping is too much, I don't do angels and jacks except modified. maybe a spot in between the two levels, like higher impact with modification. also did a core workout, from LITE. did not get sore from PP weights from yesterday.

Cathy do you just grab ideas off the internet? I know there was a recipe index on the IP registration online, but I wasn't planning on using it for entire meals, just to more efficiently cook rice, beans, and maybe soup. I haven't looked around much yet, mainly made something in it to be sure it worked OK. this is a 6 quart. I donated my slow cooker years ago. I didn't ever like how it cooked things. the IP does work nicely.

Carolyn, what were those really good beans you talked about months ago. rancho gordo? I think they were back ordered then. I like to cook my own beans but haven't done it for a long time because they were not available much this year. on a cooking site I use, several talked about making polenta in it and how good it turned out without all the stirring. every time I've made polenta, the cornmeal bubbles and "bumps" so it spits out of the pot all over the place. this would avoid that issue.

Valerie, the beans are Royal Coronas from Rancho Gordo. They are out of stock right now, but well worth the wait. They are a type of gigante beans, and they cook up to be very creamy. I love them in this recipe from Bon Appétit—minus the egg on top:

https://www.epicurious.com/recipes/food/views/brothy-beans-and-farro-with-eggs-and-mushrooms

Rancho Gordo usually has a large inventory, but they have more beans on the wait list than in stock at the moment.

Valerie, I checked out recipes for different things that I wanted to cook with the Instant Pot on Pinterest. I did buy some cookbooks for Kindle, but have not used them a lot. I have learned a lot from trying different things and can transform things into instant pot dishes. Like yesterday I had a london broil that has been in the freezer for a long time I thought I should try to do something with it. I checked out some other recipes for time and cooked it in the Instant Pot after browning with the saute feature and using liquid smoke and mesquite steak seasoning along with worchestershire sauce. I then added a little over a cup of beef broth and barbecue sauce and cooked it for 40 minutes using the stews button. I got the idea for one for shredded taco meat that dumped picante sauce in the pot with the broth. Just changed seasoning. It was tender when I was done. I often use it for soup recipes because I can saute the veggies and add chicken, broth, rice and other ingredients and cook for 10-15 minutes. Makes great boiled eggs in 2 minutes that are easy to peel if I want to make a few. If I only want a couple I don't bother. Makes great cheese cake once you have that down. You have to be careful when you remove the lid so you do not drip too much condensation onto the top. Although I dab off moisture with a paper towel. I bet you find things that you really like it for. It has not worked well for me as a slow cooker. I keep wondering if I am just not doing something right. It just seems to keep stuff luke warm. Even when I push the button to make it the higher temperature. For slow cooker you leave the vent open. I bet polenta would cook well in the Instant Pot.
It seems the STS series had reps figured in. I can't remember, but so often Cathe changes patterns and reps and it gets hard to keep up and get the reps all written down. I don't recall Cathe having workout sheets for the older weight workouts at all. Most of them I have I got from someone's site or made my own.

Cathy, when I do the math for the met rate and my weight, it makes more sense as to why my calories are lower than the Workout Manager. Although now they are way below what they should be. For awhile I would use the met rate and figure it all out and could see if I was close or not. Too much work though and I quit doing it. You just cannot follow that as right. Besides metabolic charts really have a wide range for different types of work. I got 154 when I did Hiit High Impact Perfect 30.

Carolyn, there were some moves in that Perfect 30 Flow workout that felt like I had to get back into position or something. Maybe for me it was a premix. I have done them both and premixes almost every day since I got them. I hope that you can get your front door fixed soon. The landscapers came back to finish today. They had started to put the sod down when my husband got up and looked and he went out and told them to stop as they had not graded the yard so we would not have water back flow up our walk way. So they came back this morning with a rototiller. But, it is all done and I have grass now. Hopefully I can keep it and not have to live with a mud hole when we have wet weather. Sowing seed every year was getting old and did not give me much.

I'll take a look at rancho gordo anyway so that I don't forget the name, and maybe they have some other beans to try. local groceries have not had much, just like white whole wheat flour has gone missing too. I imagine this years bean harvest must be ready to see by now so if they're out. it will be next year. thanks.
the slow cooker I had boiled things to death no matter what you set it on. I never left it on when I left home, which defeats the purpose a little, but I didn't trust it. everything turned overdone mush or rubbery. i used it to cook beans a few times but it was easier to do stove top. this seems much more precise. I will try some soup since that seems like something that will work.

I did not go back to look, but I thought most of the older work sheets I printed gave cathes weight and the number of reps. I could be wrong on that but heavier weights makes me look first at how many reps. I will go heavier if its 10 reps than I would for 16. I wrote most of them in so thats a one time deal.

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.