Pentagenarians & Beyond: W/B 7/19

fox2star

Cathlete
Good morning,

Thunder and lightning most of the night and lots of rain..but we need the rain. I don't mind if it rains all night as long as the sun comes out soon. :)

Hope everyone is having a great weekend!

Good morning ladies!

Yesterday I did Cathe Live Compound Giant Sets. Absolutely loved this one and will certainly be doing it again many times. I followed up with SB advanced quick hiit. This was the challenge workout of the day and I was thrilled it was only 10 mins. Giant Sets was only 42 minutes but you move right along with hardly any breaks.

Deb...my HDL is 87, LDL 140, tri 62, total 239. With Diabetes my LDL needs to be below 100. Not an easy task and it keeps going up. I have eaten cleaner than I ever have in my entire life and was quite surpised that it went up. I guess it is what it is. Everyone's body is different. I need to do some research as this is the 2nd DR now that has suggested meds for me. That festival sounds fun. It is amazing how everything is cleaned up the next day. Like NYC after the ball drop. You wake up and it looks like nothing happened!

Lynda...have you tried the premix with the core work throughout. I actually like this better than the actual workout. Hope you enjoyed Jacob's Pillow.

We decided not to go out to dinner last night but plan to go for Brunch this morning then the pool for as long as the weather is nice. Suppose to get some rain later in the day.

Have a great Sunday all. Going to fit a workout in somewhere just not sure where and what!

Hi everyone--

This morning I did Turbo Barre (74:00). I guess I was inspired to do the whole thing after seeing those gorgeous dancers' bodies yesterday.

Lori, this was only the third time I have done the leg workout. Maybe I will try it with the core work next time. I wouldn't rush to get on some medication if you have doubts of any kind. Can you get a second opinion on this? I know my doctor says there is so much new thinking about cholesterol. Maybe Deb will be helpful here.

The Alonzo King Lines Ballet was excellent--especially the first half with two pieces, one to a Bach violin concerto for the whole company, and a second for 5 male dancers. The second half had its moments, but it was a very long piece set to "music from the biosphere" called Biophony. A lot of animal noises, sounds of rain, etc. Very confusing in conception. At times it felt tribal in mood. At others, the movements seemed to be mimicking animal movements, and then it would become very abstract and pure. The dancers were so beautiful though, so disciplined, it was hard to be critical. We also managed to get by with no rain. Another lucky day for us.

Valerie, I don't know if you read the New Yorker magazine, but you really might be interested in the July 20 issue. A long article on the Pacific Northwest and the Cascadia fault line. The seismographer who wrote the piece might be inflating the dangers, but there could be a catastrophic earthquake and tsunami he says, which would wipe out everything west of route 5. What was most alarming is that no one seems to be preparing for such a possible disaster, even though FEMA has projections for deaths and displaced people that are very bad. I thought what was most intriguing about the piece for me is how he gets you to demonstrate with your hands how the plates work. Anyway.....a very thought-provoking article. I love the New Yorker. The previous issue was jam-packed with great stuff about the families of the hostages and their agony, a wonderful piece about love poetry by Adam Gopnick (he's really good on Shakespeare's sonnet cycle), and a disturbing piece about our justice system and a black family in LA.

Hot and humid here, but hey, it's July.

No, I don't read the new Yorker. I read the magazine insert that comes with the NYT, but thinking that's not what you meant. Oh yes, they hammer us about the "big one" regularly. It's scary. we had a sizeable quake called the Nisqually quake maybe 10 yrs ago. It was not that big and still caused some damage. DH and I were off xc skiing and had sat down for lunch when it hit. it bounced us around a lot. we could hear a strange noise approaching and suddenly we were being bounced up and down. we were concerned about driving home and going over many bridges on the way but it was OK.
It's a hard thing to prepare for. I live east of I-5 and away from water. supposedly the "fill dirt" and glacial till in much of downtown seattle would liquefy.... DH and I have a plan for what to do if we're home. we have emergency food/water outside the house and a plan on how to exit. there are limits on what you reasonably do and. . Buying earthquake insurance is almost impossible. very hard to get,very expensive, doesn't cover much. this area has a history of some massive quakes, and if one hits damage will be very serious. I'm pretty sure I saw a reference to this article in the paper this morning. DH and I are fairly familiar with plate tectonics etc. we understand better than most and have preparation in place. we just replaced our emergency food supplies 2 weeks ago. If our house collapsed we have 2 sheds and a camper and probably at least one would be usable. if we aren't home, all the plans are good for nothing.

I forget if I said, rode 25 fast miles yesterday. done by 9:30. took us under 2 hours even with several bathroom breaks. too hot today, but tomorrow should be cooler.

Lori I think they are going off the deep end with cholesterol these days. current thinking seems to be that almost everyone should be on statins and so I question the wisdom there. my doc seemed to be testing my attitude about it, and I said that I would not take meds unless I really needed them. do you get an A1c done regularly? that is your best indicator for overall blood glucose control.

gotta do some kind of workout today, but will wait until right before dinner.

Where's Dawn ? I don't think she posted last week. vacation?

Last edited:
Deb, thanks for sending me the info. I look forward to reading it tonight.

Ate way too much at brunch today. Brunch is at our favorite local restaurant The Old Mill that has the awesome corn fritters and pecan rolls. No wonder my cholesterol is up!!! Lol...

I took Chester for a nice walk and have not worked out yet. I will do something just not sure what.

Lynda! Lol on Turbo Barre! The show all and all sounds like it was amazing to watch the dancers! Great no rain! Last night DH and I set up the projector outside and watched a movie. Was so much fun and we felt like kids at a drive in.

Valerie...how scarey being bounced around like that. I would have had a heart attack for sure. My A1C came in at 6.4 which is in great control. Was a lot higher years ago. Fasting was 122. I take 2,000mg of metformin daily and that seems to be working for me. Plus I watch my sugar / carb intake and try and stay very active as you all know!

Took a video of walking into The Old Mill. It was early when we walked in, so peaceful and quite. After we ate we fed the ducks. As soon as they see you with food they come out of the woodwork and then there are a million of them!

Last edited:
Hi Ladies -
Valerie - I haven't been on vacation, just slacking on my posting! There's not a lot of excitement in my life to post about either (but that can sometimes be a good thing). Scary to think about an earthquake happening and the kind of damage it would cause. Over the years, I've heard about the New Madrid fault here in the Midwest, but I've never felt an earthquake myself.
Today was X37. I had to stop for breaks (I made it to 13 minutes before a rest), but I saw something somewhere about keeping track of the point in time when you need the first break. So I'm keeping notes of how far I get with the more intense workouts I do. In a perfect world, I'd be able to keep up with Cathe and crew for their entire workouts, but it looks like that's not happening in this lifetime. I found a post about cardio endurance where Cathe said that every time you challenge yourself, you're getting an effective workout. So I need to start thinking that way.
Lori - I loved your video of The Old Mill - it looks so beautiful and relaxing!

I'm back.. did Flex training. most of it. skipped the section with the band walking and went light on weight. I'm getting tired of being afraid to do anything. I did some knee pushups, some kickbacks in plank position, most things went lighter on weight. I got serious cramps in my inner thighs immediately after doing some minor lunges. glad I stopped!. all the riding and hiking doesn't train for lunges. this has happened before, I need to do that movement regularly. Anyway, went well, will see if I get sore, and will just start doing regular workouts when we're not riding or hiking..
we live all the time with the threat of a serious earthquake. could come at any time, or never come. who knows?? the fault builds up tension and could snap or not. I could not live with the tornado threat, that drove me crazy. no hurricanes. very little thunder/lightning. no place is risk free. we have done reasonable preparation and will deal with it if it happens.

Hey Dawn. I was wondering where you were! you live with the threat of tornados, something I simply could not deal with.
Lori would tighter control of you blood glucose help with the lipid levels? I realize there's a point where it gets too confining and can drive you nuts and 6.4 is decent. both my sister & brother have T2 but I don't, at least so far. just wondering....... a diabetes educator?

Hi Everyone,

DH and I spent the weekend working on the condo. We replaced a toilet in one of the bathrooms and replaced a couple of closet doors. Also, put in some new light fixtures. We did get a lot done and I got a couple of short walks in. It was hot and humid, in the 90's.

Deb-could you send me the cholesterol information too? I try to read everything I can on the subject.

Lori-Diabetes runs in my family, on my mother's side. She had it as did many of her relatives. I watch my blood sugar pretty close and tend to avoid most sugar, and I don't eat much fruit. I do use energy gels when I work out but that's really the only sugar I eat. So far, my fasting levels are below 100, but seem to be slowly creeping up. I think my last one was 97 or 98.

It's late now so I will post more tomorrow.

Judy

Good morning,

A nice weekend, it even held off raining yesterday, and we got a lot of weeding and mulching done. I did KCM's Cardio Pump ( her pyramid weight workout).

I started watching Mad Men this weekend, with season 1 from the library...Yikes! Do they smoke a lot or what? I remember people smoking, but was it this bad?? I guess it's been so long that it looks so strange!

Lori, nice video, that looks like a relaxing place to have brunch.

Lynda, that ballet sounds great, I know what you mean about being critical, they are so dedicated and work so hard. It's amazing to see.

Valerie, I think you touched on something that I am starting to believe. The makers of statin drugs do NOT want any new ideas on cholesterol out there...they are pushing those drugs like candy...I know that sounds so cynical, but I am starting to believe that Big Business is in charge of our health, not the doctors. KCM as a great alternative move to lunges that I wish I could describe or show you. I like it better and I actually feel it where you are supposed to the next day. I will try to find it and see if I can describe it here.

Dawn, You are doing great with your workouts, and keeping track of your progress is the way to go. I like what you are doing, and Cathe is right. I hear you on the "perfect world" of keeping up with Cathe and crew....I have never been able to do that with those intense workouts and it doesn't bother me at all.

Judy, Nice work on the condo...this was the weekend to do it. We did our garden stuff early but it was so hot and humid we had to quit. I can send the report...not sure if I have your e-mail address. PM to me here...I have not checked my sugar levels...going back to my blood work report and seeing what it is...

As for the report. if anyone else wants it, let me know your e-mail address...(I have Lynda's e-mail and Valerie's)

Hi to Josie,

Take care,

Last edited:
Hi everyone--

This morning I did both low impact hiit workouts together (50:08). It was very humid this morning, so I really did end up dripping sweat. Phew!

Deb, we had thunderstorms yesterday evening and put the thundershirt on Max. It really seemed to help. He was still on alert, but lying down instead of pacing about. I put a youtube video on for putting the thing on and it was easy as can be. The Velcro placement is counterintuitive, which is why we had problems the last time. He didn't seem to mind having it on at all. Yes, Deb, I would love to read that piece on cholesterol. I am cynical as well about big pharma--all those ads on TV for drugs for everything. I love when they have an ad followed by an appeal from lawyers launching a class action suit on some drug or medical device. I also love the soothing voice that talks gently about side effects, usually ending with "may lead to death."

Lori, that place looks great. The sound of the waterfall reminds me of those white noise recordings meant to lull you into sleep.

Valerie, yes, that's what I read--the center of Seattle on sand that will liquefy. No, the New Yorker is a magazine, not part of the NYTimes. Apparently the last really big quake was in 1700 and a tsunami wiped out one whole Native American tribe. Also mentioned--some place with "ghost trees." killed by the land underneath sinking into salt water. If or when it happens, it would mean the total economic collapse of the northwest because of no drinking water, no electricity, no hospitals, and so on and on, for months and months. I guess it's just not in human nature to plan for something that hasn't happened in 400 years. On the other hand, it seems stupid to continue building schools, nursing homes, hospitals and firehouses in the area of inundation. There's one grammar school with the sea on one side and a bog on the other--no higher ground for evacuation. The school superintendent could not get the townspeople to increase their property taxes to build a new school in a safe place, even though it did not sound like very much money per property owner. Flextrain is such a great workout. Glad you felt strong enough to try it again.

Dawn, I must have sold X37 because I know I never did it. A lot of impact??

Hi to Judy and Josie!

Deb & Lynda I agree with you regarding drug companies. they would like nothing better than to convince everyone that we ALL need to be on statins!. talk about windfall profits! For many years the formula was to take the total cholesterol and divide by the HDL. so for Lori 239 divided by 87. you get a number 2.74. my last numbers were 209 divided by 75 for 2.78. I believe any number under 3.5 was considered very low risk for problems. However... a different approach is being used these days and I am assuming the studies were done by.... "TA DA drum roll"... the very drug companies who stand to profit from the results. the other thing that happens is when you put people on statins, they tend ( in general) to start blowing off the lifestyle changes they were using before, because their numbers get better no matter what their diet & exercise is. Not saying that would happen for everyone but I've personally heard enough people say exactly that! "I take Lipitor, so I'll have that steak and French fries". Statins can have side effects. Dh tried them but absolutely could not tolerate them. his lab numbers are pretty awful, but no one in his family every died of heart disease. so he eats well, plenty of exercise, weight control, and hope for the best.

Interestingly Lynda, a friend just this morning forwarded us the NYT article so I will read it shortly. DH and I have read a lot about it, have watched plenty of documentaries/specials about the potential level of destruction. it's pretty much a situation you live with because predictions aren't very useful. What can you do about it anyway? Can't build a house that would survive a 9.0 quake undamaged. there are coastal towns that are subject to under sea earthquakes that cause tsunamis. Crescent city Ca, was hit by a tidal wave a number of years ago. the coastal areas are flat and in the event of a tsunami , higher ground might not be easily accessible. thinking the school was out on the pacific coast.

I never would have thought I'd have been anywhere near a volcanic eruption, but we heard Mt St Helens blow up in 1980. so I hope it doesn't happen, we are as well prepared as one can be.

Rode this morning again 25 miles. I got some definite sore spots from Flex train, in surprising spots. my legs!. my shoulder did pretty well. Its not perfect but I'm just going to work it the best I can. there seems to be a small spot that gets tender but most moves don't involve it.

Good evening ladies!

Wow hot and very humid today! At lunch it was only 2 of us and we did 2 SB workouts. Bikini butt and Folder. By cutting out one of the stetches at end of one and warm up of the other we got them done in 30 mins. My glutes were feeling these! I did not sleep well last night so no workout tonight.

Crazy with all this cholesterol stuff. Deb, I never read the article. Will try again tonight. As soon as I started I pretty much fell asleep. Then woke up around 1am and tossed the rest of the night. I have not watched Mad Men but heard it is good.

Valerie..good job on Flex Train. Funny you skipped the fire walkers as those are my favorite! Love using bands around the ankles! I do agree with you ladies that someone is out there pushing meds and trying to make more and more money and not really caring about anything else. Wow! You heard St. Helens. Hard to believe that was 35 years ago!

Lynda...omg that quake in 1700 sounds horrific! So very sad. X37 is one of the premixes from X10...5 workouts all about 30 minutes. You could do one or string them together. I like it but have not done it in a while. The warm up in this is my favorite Cathe warmup. It's like a mini workout in itself!

Dawn...great job on x37. And yes keeping track and keeping with it is the way to go. One of the ladies I workout out with at lunch just accomplished a 60 second plank. She has struggled and just could not hold it but did it a little longer each time and then bam...she did one. We all hi fived her. Was very nice and we were so happy for her.

Judy...sounds like you did quite a bit around your home. I developed T2 when I turned 40 and it does run in my family. I do not fit the mold for T2 and whenever I start with a new DR they always comment with how did you end up with T2? I can't even remember ever being below 100 fasting. I used to be 150 to 175 but metformin has helped along with a healthy life style.

Have a great night all!!!!! Hi to Josie!!

Yes, Lynda, got it. I thought at first you meant the New York Times Magazine that comes with the newspaper because it has many in-depth articles. a friend forwarded the article from the magazine (the New Yorker) today. I will get to it shortly, no time today.

Lori I got very gimpy immediately after doing some squat moves early on in flex train. doesn't matter how far I can hike or ride!. so I skipped the firewalkers and am glad. I dread the toilet seat level right now!. still rode a hard 25 miles.... completely different muscle engagement.

DH and I were living in Seattle, mt st Helens is at least 125 miles away (as the crow flies), more by highway. we heard a loud KA-Boom and looked at each other and said "what was that?". thought it was a local construction project gone wrong. it was interesting because many people close by heard nothing, but many miles away the sound carried. it went on for a long time and caused a lot of difficulties for everyone. the ash plugged up car engines, got slippery, a lot of problems.

my non fasting levels don't go over the low 100's. my fathers family has T2, my sister and brother have it but so far I'm Ok.

Last edited:
Good morning!

A nice day yesterday, after a workout, (KCM Pyramid weight one) I worked at my cousins for a few hours. I help her do the clerical part of her real estate files, letters, forms, filing etc.

Lynda, so glad that the Thunder shirt is helping Max. :). You probably sold the DVD with X37...( so did I) I think it was the Tabata one.

Valerie, I will send you the report...I agree..it's the drug manufacturer's that are trying their best to see that everyone is on statin drugs. Very scary. There is a part in one of KCM's workouts ( I think it's Muscle Definition) that uses the band around your ankles that really hits the saddlebags hard! I don't think I have felt this area the next day as much as after doing that workout.

Lori, sorry about your sleep...it was Sunday night right? I think I will take that article to bed with me if it helps you fall asleep! LOL. :). Checked my last full fasting panel...my glucose was 87. Is that good? I have no idea as the only numbers I usually track are cholesterol.

Hi to Josie, Judy & Dawn,

A workout planned, something with total body weights I think...Maybe I should get Flex Train out, since it's been mentioned here a couple of times...

Take care,

Hi everyone--

This morning I did ba, rear delts, bis (52:28).

Deb, my glucose fasting was 85, and the range they show as safe or good is 70-100 mg/dl, so I guess it's fine. They always highlight if something is outside the norm. I didn't read all of that article on cholesterol, but the gist of it is not to be so crazed by cholesterol levels. I think family history is probably a better indicator than a lab test--like what Valerie says.

Went out to lunch with a friend today and splurged. A really good lobster roll and a vanilla cake with coconut ice cream. Yum!

Lori, I like the firewalker for the legs too. I also like the music there which Cathe says makes her feel like she's dancing. Yep--I sold that little sucker with the tabatas and was happy to do so. Knew I would never do them.

Beautiful here today.

Valerie, did you read that piece in the NYTimes Sunday magazine about the two sets of identical twins separated at birth and how they rediscover their siblings in Bogota later? That was fascinating. The whole nature/nurture debate because they were raised in such different places and socio-economic conditions.

ttfn

Lynda, I get the NYT from our cousin after he's done with it so I'm usually a few weeks behind. will watch for the twin article.

I read most of the earthquake article. I've read or seen most of it before....not that it makes it any easier to imagine! It gets covered in depth here ( If you choose to read about it) every time we get a slight quiver. It was a good summary and explanation of the large problem that could show up at any time.
DH and I pay attention but there are limits to what you can reasonably do to make yourself safer. Plus, no one spends their whole life in their house. our house is bolted to the foundation, emergency food, water, etc. so I don't LIKE it, but we live with the knowledge that it could go south in an instant.... or not for a few hundred more years.

that is correct on fasting glucose levels. if you ate or drank anything in the previous 8 hours, the fasting value does not apply anymore, although most people would be back to fasting levels in way less than 8 hours. Plain water, black coffee are Ok but if you add milk or cream, or a cracker, you're not fasting anymore. blood glucose levels rise very quickly. Depending on what you ate and when you ate it, up to 140 is probably OK but then "non fasting" numbers apply, those are higher. just a lot simpler if fasting samples are used.

Good evening ladies!

Again only two us today at lunch. Everyone's on vacation except us! We did 21D extreme lower and once again loved it. Came home and decided not to workout (didn't feel I needed too with the earlier workout) and took Chester and Nilla for a nice walk. We all enjoyed it.

Valerie...knowing you two I bet you have all the necessaties readt just in case. Let's hope you never have to try them out. Really great to be prepared. Guess you have to be given where you live. Lol on the toilet seat level! We have all been there.

Under 100 is a good fasting glucose level. My doctor seems to be thrilled where I am so guess all is good. I am just doing what ever I can to avoid insulin and so far it really has not progressed too much from when I was first diagnosed 14 years ago. So I am good with this.

Lynda...I love a good Lobster Roll. We are going to the Cape in a couple of weeks and we have a restaurant we go to in Dennis that has phenomenal lobster rolls. Very expensive because they are huge but boy they are worth every penny. The cake sounds good too! :)

Deb...very nice to help your cousin out. Yup sleepless Sunday nights. I have been pretty good lately but notnthis past Sunday. That is exactly why I love firewalkers. Gets you really deep in the upper outside thigh/glute area.

Hi to Judy, Josie and Dawn!

Not a real active day so I got busy and did Bi's and Tri's. did the full workout, and used reasonably heavy weights, like if cathe used 12's I used 10's. I still feel something is not quite right but I'm working around it. Moves where I move my arms vertically, close together, I feel like something overlaps and causes discomfort on the right side in the front of my shoulder. not pain, but not quite right. clicky sensation. I avoid that position, but it's not a common position to be in. Did the whole workout and didn't get close to it.
I've actually thought I may have aggravated the problem because I use a shoulder purse( when I use a purse) and I think I hike the right shoulder up higher than the left to keep it in place. I am working harder on making sure that side is not "hiked up", using a waist pack more often. did tricep pushups, planks with kickbacks etc. none of that bothered it, other than plain old "getting tired " because I've done so little for more than 6 months. I didn't have any discomfort and was pretty proud that I did the whole thing with decent weights without feeling like I over did.

my leg issues were not outer thigh at all they were groin/ inner thigh. better today but so weird because you would think hiking and riding worked that area thoroughly, but apparently not. I plan on doing "something" weekly to keep this area engaged.

that's it Lori... ready to use supplies we have on hand and ready but hoping HOPING we never have to.

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.