Pentagenarians & Beyond: W/B 6/26

Valerie, my daughter carries an epi pen and Benadyl with her all of the time. At work she has to avoid latex. There are certain foods that she cannot eat that cause a reaction the same as latex. She cannot eat Kiwi. I recently read of another food that has something in it similar to latex. We cannot play with balloons anywhere near her. Our parties usually end up with the foil balloons. Her son and I went to Sprouts the other day and he told me his mother could not come to that store because they have "death bombs" referring to the balloons. Generally I don't think balloons in a store would bother her too much.
That is too bad about your husband's teeth. I never thought about under garments and that sort of thing with maybe having latex. I know genetics really do play a big part in it. I am lucky I did not take after my mother's side on that. She had false teeth when she was 16. Some people seem to get away with poor dental hygiene and others can be meticulous and have dental issues. If I can ever come up with something to get my husband to the doctor I will. When he was working and had his men under him he would get the checks offered and flu shots etc. as an example. It has been several years now. One time when my husband's mother was alive and the family were all together she used her test stuff on everyone for blood sugar.

Deb, I will revisit Cathe live one of these days. Right now it is easier to use what I know since I keep needing to figure in summer activities and family around a lot. My youngest daughter, her husband and son, and her sister and her daughter are going on a mission trip to Haiti next week so I will have some of the younger children around. They are supposed to be starting drilling the well for water that my daughter raised money for there. Hopefully she sees everything going as planned. Many times the government takes the money, foods etc., or the people misuse what is given. I heard of one instance where they were given rabbits to raise for food but, they ate the rabbits before they produced more. Even the chickens that wander around are scrawny. I don't know why I haven't thought of another keyboard. It is a older Windows 7 laptop. I have a small wireless keyboard. I should pull that out and see if that works for me. The number 3 key on the laptop is broken as well I had changed the password to not include numbers so I did not have to mess with that key since it is off.

Lynda, I thought Muscle Max Live was somewhat easier than the dvd. It is a lot different and no use of the step. Although I kind of liked not getting out the step. Rabbits can do a lot of damage to a garden fairly quickly. I love pesto. I do not know why I am not growing basil this year. It goes well on eggs and fish and almost anything. Zucchini noodles are yummy with it. That is the one item I forgot for my salads when I went to Sprouts today so now I will have to use freeze dried. It won't be as pretty as with basil leaves.

Lori, I am sorry to hear about Madeleine. I will keep her in my prayers. That is great that the ladies enjoyed the JS workout. That is sad about the turkey farm. I keep trying to get my workouts up to close to 500 calories a workout but it takes a lot more work to do now than it used to.

Judy, I have been doing Kelly Coffey's workouts for so many years. I started with some earlier ones like the original step boxing which was before the 30 Minutes to Fitness workouts. I think she has just improved over the years even though I liked the first ones as well.

Good morning,

The funeral and lunch etc went well, very emotional. I am glad it is all over.

Valerie, glad your DH is ok. Now is the time for you to bring out all those hot and spicy dishes! LOL.,,,Let us know how that NG salad turns out. It seems to be a little skimpy on the ingredients, but that is what is great about salads, you can add or take away anything you want. I feel the same about blueberries, I would probably switch to strawberries. A wake is when the family is at the funeral home to accept visitors. The family can set the times and number of days...when I was young, wakes were 3 days before the funeral, usually 2 sittings a day eg from 2-4 and 7-9. The break was for the family to rest and have dinner. Now it is common for them to be 1 or 2 day, with a 4 hour block of time...this one was from 3-7 for 2 days. Then the funeral, which was exactly what you described, a last prayer at the funeral home followed by a procession to the church, mass, then procession to the cemetery. They had a full military thing with the 4 gun salute. Then a full blown lunch for 75 people afterward... All very emotional and exhausting.

Diane Sue, great workouts! I cannot imagine getting a workout up to 500 calories. The highest I have gone is 317 or so, and that is with the Phat workouts. That is horrible what they are doing with the $$ in Haiti...those poor people. John's cousin and her daughter went for a couple of weeks to help with a group...she said it was so sad but they felt they really did help the people. We buy a basil potted plant each spring, just keep outside the kitchen door and I can pick it fresh whenever. I love it on anything with Italian sauce..

Lynda, mmm..Live Muscle Max...I never saw that one on the list. Another total body workout to try out....rating? maybe a 3 or 4? Is the J.K. Rowling thing a new book? Have fun at Jacob's Pillow. Sometimes I think Cathe's side of streaming has issues....or maybe it is just our internet connections failing at times.

Lori, is the workout actually done barefoot? That's horrible about the turkey farm and the poor chicks...I think I will do that workout from this Thursday tomorrow too.

Judy, nice ride! I do hope to get the bikes out this weekend...I want to take them to an actual trail..not just on the streets.

Hi to Josie,

Agility class this morning, and HouseMax for me....I have let a lot go this last week...

Take care,

FYI...posted over in the Open Forum"

Cathe mentioned in her live FB post today that there would be new pre-sale DVD's announced in a FB live broadcast during the RT in July. One of the DVD's will be an advanced Fit Tower workout.

I really do not want any more DVD's, unless it's a PHAT type....

It was drier than expected yesterday, so we stained the deck. DH had power washed it a few weeks ago. you need a dry, not too sunny day to stain. so that was the "workout". plus a little garden work. Deb, I do the same with basil, buy some plants and keep them on the deck near the kitchen. basil I love fresh. I have mint too and like it in a few things but DH doesn't care for it. Realized that our broccoli is ready... hadn't looked in a little bit, and all of a sudden, there's enough for a small city. home grown broccoli is better than commercially grown. almost not the same vegetable. I may try that salad with more flavorful berries. so many to pick from right now. I like fruit on greens with vinaigrette.
thanks for the wake explanation. never been to one. interesting how many different approaches there are.

the genetics of bad teeth....DH's sister has the exact same problems he has and has spent a fortune on her teeth. even the same problem teeth. she is getting implants now. his other sister has problems but will probably go the denture route since she won't spend the money or put up with the process. not sure about his brother. my mother is 95, still has all her teeth, so I have a good chance too.

I think I am done with new workouts. we have the older tower. after the soundtrack from ICE, I don't think I would buy another set. If there were a new spin workout, I might go for that.

I think latex is the natural product, while elastane / spandex are artificial. I think I am having issues with the artificial. so weird, the itching is under the back of my bra only on my back. cotton bras are REALLY UGLY but I may try one to see if it helps. I don't wear metal hooks because I'm sensitive to nickel.
the last Consumer reports ran an article on the prices of medicine and price gouging. epi pens were mentioned. I knew they were expensive but > $500 each? and if you have a serious allergy you probably want several around. I suppose they out date every year.

still working thru the sopranos. starting season 3, they dropped subtitles. we got closed caption to work . DH agrees ..the series is much better with dialogue you can read. we both missed a lot before.

Today I did Ice boot camp circuit no upper body mix. 35 minutes, 211 calories, heart rate 115 avg. /145 max. I then did Les Mills Pump Step 30 mnutes, 225 calories, heart rate vg. 128 max 154. I finished with 21 Day Fix Extreme Pilates, 33 minutes, 131 calories. Total time was 98 minutes, calories 567.

Deb, I saw that Cathe mentioned new workouts but I thought it was just the tower workouts. I did not watch her whole talk. I think that it is good for y teen grandchildren going on these mission trips and seeing how some people have to live. It helps them appreciate what they have. My husband used to take ours to the Jesus House downtown and have them work sometimes.

Valerie, I a lot of patty pan squash, zuchinni, cucumbers, and carrots from y daughter's garden the other day. I need to do some extra cooking so none goes to waste. My daughter finds it frustrating when trying to get patients the best medical treatments within their budgets. It is ridiculous the prices they charge. I have an itchy patch were my hooks on the back of bras . I had not thought about I being from bras.

diane sue I switched to bras with plastic front hooks a long time ago. It started with earrings making my ears itch and swell right after I had a second hole punched. haven't been able to wear earrings now at least 15 years. That is most likely nickel. I also had trouble with jewelry making black marks on my neck, wrist, and fingers. no itching. I don't wear much jewelry.
I never wear rings sleeping, and wear stainless steel watch with a Velcro fabric band. the itching has been going on at least a year, maybe 2. it's a very specific area though, across the mid back. there is similar elastic on other garments and they don't bother me, so doctors keep saying 'dry skin". I'm not sure I want to go thru allergy testing and am going to try a cotton bra. if that reduces the itch, I'll think about testing at that time. I thought most bras had a layer of fabric between the skin and the metal hooks.

The CR report details a number of drugs where there have been horrendous price increases, often old drugs. Remember a few months ago when the Shekreli guy increased the prices of an old drug by about 100x? Daraprim. I think it was. that same kind of exploitation goes on elsewhere. I was amazed that epi pens were so expensive.

I am very sorry about your uncle, and I had a load of trouble getting on here. Hello to all the wonderful ladies. I was away visiting Frank from the 22nd to the 30th, and I used his exercise band for my upper body. I held a heave jar of bleach to do squats, lunges and plie squats. I had to order another Polar FT 4 heart rate monitor but I ordered it not from Ebay but from Heart Rate Monitors USA, so, at least I can return it if something goes wrong. Today I did the MMA kickboxing with all the jumping and the bands. I will work up to harder leg workouts.

I am due to move about August 2nd.

Valerie, it seems like they would make some sort of laws on pricing medicines like the epi pen that are needed by so many people. They know they need them and hike up the price to make money. I have one pair of earrings that always leave my ears with black marks. I don't wear them often. Earrings are my favorite piece of jewelry. My younger daughter and one of my granddaughters are allergic to a lot of metals so they cannot wear nickel. They are okay with silver and gold and some plated earrings. It depends on what the posts are made of. My younger daughter's ears would ooze and get swollen. I just got new bras. I would not have spent so much but my husband took me to the store and insisted I get what I liked. I generally get no underwire bras. This time I got one no underwire Wachol, I think that is the name. It is the favorite of the 3 I got but was pretty expensive at 60 dollars. Thankfully I don't buy them very often. I got a front hook Spanx that has lace on the back which is nice and works with t back tanks. The third was a Calvin Klein underwire. It think the least favorite on comfort. Still it is way better than the Victoria Secret no underwire I have been wearing. They had too much padding and I did not like how they looked under soft knits. Also it is just too miserable when it is so hot.

Caitlin, I found that the FT4 gave me way low readings. I bet you burn way more calories than that one gives. Even the reviews that I read had complaints on it. I am sorry you had problems with the first one and could not return it. I bought the one I have when I was short on funds and the one I had been using was not working. The MMA kickboxing is a good workout. Still I never enjoyed the jumping over the bands. I ended up just doing it on the floor.

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.