Pentagenarians & Beyond: W/B 3/26

Today I did Legs and Glutes from the Body Blast series. Cathe uses ankle weights in the second part of the workout and I used 1 1/2 pound ankle weights.

Diane Sue, Silver Sneakers is a fitness program for "Boomers and beyond". It is available with many health insurance plans and provides free gym access and other types of fitness classes. I have it through my United Healthcare Medicare Advantage plan. I have been looking for classes with balance and flexibility that my husband and I might do together. My older sister, who lives in Chicago, does water aerobics and yoga four days a week. A gym would never be my main workout program at this point for the reasons we already discussed.

Lori, The American Experience, The Great War airs in 3 parts on PBS April 10, 11, and 12. My daughter's book, Freedom Struggles (published several years ago), is about African Americans and World War I.

Deb, that's awful about your computer! I hope it's fixed soon.

Valerie, was yesterday your birthday? It's great that you were able to get in a good ride. Which polar model did you get?

There was a huge fire here in Atlanta yesterday underneath one of the major freeways. It burned so hot that it caused a collapse of the freeway. Fortunately no one was injured but a portion of I 85 will be closed for months in both north and south directions.

Waves to Judy and Caitlin.

Today I did not have a lot of time. My Fit Bit had a firmware update that was supposed to take 10 minutes and it took way longer. I ended up using my Polar for the warm up. Then somehow I turned the Fit Bit off 27 minutes into the workout so I am glad I used the Polar and the Map My Fitness App still picked up my heart rate and calories. We had our appointment and then went to Home Depot. It took so long there. They had to go back in the back and pull down the toilet we wanted for the bathroom. Then there was flooring to pick out. |
Anyway, I did Suzanne Bowen Bounce, after a warm up from Ice Metabolic workout, arms and abs, cardio, total body, and stretch, 61 minutes total with the warm up 288 calories. I really like the SB workout, I really wanted to do the whole thing but no time today. I started with 5's and used them for most of it but I did drop to 3's for a couple of those shoulder segments.

Valerie, Happy Birthday. I am okay with the chest straps but when I am all sweaty I am anxious to get them off. Does the watch not keep the stats so you can look at it at the end of the ride? Like heart rate zones and how many minutes in them , average and maximum? I like the Fit Bit because it is just push the button and go. The Bluetooth picks up everything and I get graphs I can look at on the dashboard.
The shower and get ready and shower is what I would be doing and that is something that I do not think that I would like doing.

Lori, It was a 350 Jump Sport that I had put in my Amazon wish list. That is why I was asking.

Deb, I hope they get your computer up and running quickly for you.

Carolyn, I am not sure if our City insurance Medicare Advantage program is Blue Cross or United Healthcare.. I just switched from United Healthcare to the Blue Cross PPO so that we did not have so much taken out of the retirement check. I need to decide which programs I want and get that started around the end of May because my birthday is in August and I will have to go on Medicare. I remember seeing different health club membership programs offered through medical insurance.

Does anyone else use the workout manager and have problems getting it to work the last couple of days? I keep trying to figure out if it is the internet browser or Cathe's. Also I did the Firmware update on my Fit Bit this morning and it is taking away calories from my workout for steps m

thank you for the birthday wishes. yes, yesterday was 69! wow.

It's a very simple Polar one, don't think it keeps records of anything. I don't know what the model number is, you would think it was on the watch but I can't see it anywhere. looked at polar and it didn't match any picture so will look for the paperwork. DH has it somewhere. it shows heart rate, time, how long. Not complicated. most of our equipment gives calorie burn if the heart rate tracks consistently so I can use that if I want. I need to download the manual that didn't come with it. it's a very basic model. I used it today too, on a road ride 26 miles 2 .5 hours.

this was a surprise. even riding as hard as I can, 20 mph, a fairly flat trail with minor ups and downs and a breeze, the most I could get my rate to was 126, with much of the time remarkably steady at 110-116. My legs get fatigued, but I was surprised my heart rate was so low. we are going to have DH wear it next time and compare, since my heart rate is always lower than anyone elses. still I was very surprised. I get tired, my legs mainly, but maybe I am not getting as effective a workout as I thought. I had read that about cycling, but I feel like I work hard, and it's usually for longer than 2 hours. part of the fatigue was riding 2 days in a row. mt biking yesterday was more like interval training with a lot more range in heart rates.

Deb, hope they get your computer back on its feet.
Carolyn that is fascinating about your daughter. I never appreciated history when I was young. I do now. wish I'd paid more attention when I was in high school. I thought it was all the "'past" and not relevant to the present. dumb, huh?
I didn't realize you were in Atlanta. we watched the footage of the freeway fire last night. what a mess that will be. we had a bridge collapse on the interstate a couple years ago. it got fixed a lot faster than expected because all focus was on it.
I have United health care as a medicare supplement. I see promos for silver sneakers in their magazine and newsletter but never paid much attention.

Last edited:
Valerie, I purchased a Polar Watch when my other was in storage when we moved. It was more basic and it was terrible with the heart rate. This also made the calorie burns very low. A lot of the reviews on Amazon complained about the low calorie burn. I would be jumping around like crazy trying to get my heart rate up and decided I wasn't going to injure myself because the watch just doesn't work well. I have 3 working polar watches and the Bluetooth device with a strap. My favorite is not broken. It is just a model they no longer make and it is not user friendly for changing the battery. You have to send it in for a battery change. I am always thinking I should send it in for another battery, but now I have the Fit Bit so have not done it. The FT 60 is pretty good. Then I have an F7 that I was hoping would be as good as the F6. Anyway. They all seem to go bonkers at some point till I leave them sit awhile or change the batteries often. Sometimes I will start around a 59 heart rate and end up with a 225 heart rate while I am doing yoga or something. That is why I started looking for something else. I contacted Polar many times trying to get help with their products. I did get a new strap the last time. One thing about the more basic one is it never gave me a crazy high heart rate. If you get basic information from it it should help you have an idea of where you are at performance wise. All of my watches came with some sort of manual. It seems anymore you have to look that stuff up on the internet. They will give you a paper with quick start and nothing else. The name is usually small on the back of the watch where the battery compartment is or around the edge of it where you just about need a magnifying glass to see it. Polar's site has all of the information you would need. After all of the complaining I still like the Polar better than all the others I took back to the store. The Nike had such a huge strap I had to fold it and pin it. I never got another one. I picked one up at Walmart and cannot remember the brand but I took it back .

I went back upstairs and did put in the Barre Amped Bounce dvd and did the Thigh bounce segment and burned another 47 calories in 13 minutes. I had to take Gertie upstairs to get her out of the way while my grandson and husband unloaded some things from my grandson's truck so took the opportunity to do a bit more. My barre is so wobbly on my Urban rebounder. It works but I definitely would feel better with something sturdy to hold on to. I really liked the thigh workout. I think I would like it with ankle weights. For the bouncing today I did a lot of jacks and high jumps even while they would stop for a bit. I could definitely feel my legs while doing this one.

Good evening ladies,

This morning I sub'd in SB's Lower Body Lower Body Mixed Cardio for today's scheduled workout. I then did her streaming Barre Amped Bounce. Total time was 38 mins / 234 cal.

Caroyln...I loved Legs and Glutes and have done it many times. I remember really liking the music too. Thanks for the PBS info. You must be a very proud mom!

Diane Sue...I am so glad you like the SB Bounce DVD. Funny how you said you used 5's and dropped down. It is amazing to me how her workouts do that! I love them. Hope you figure the pullups out as they are great. The issue I am having is with a 350 but the new matt they are sending me is also from a 350 so I guess it depends on the model. My issue was with the 350i.

Edited to add: Diane Sue...ankle weights and bouncing are a must with me. I do my SB workouts with 1.5# ankle and 2# hand weights. I may look to see if I can find 2# or 3# ankle to try them out. Don 't think I would go more though. I can see me easily thowing off my balance! When I power jump I need to keep at 1# ankle and 1# hand. The movements are fast so you need to keep them lighter.

Valerie...that is a great idea for your DH to wear the monitor. One way to see if it is accurate. It did sound low for what you were doing. I hope I am half as fit as you when I turn 69!

Deb...oh no computer issues again! That stinks!!! Hope it gets resolved soon.

It is snowing here. Going to to get 8-10 inches. I really thought we were done with this!! Ugh!

Last edited:
Lori, I wouldn't do really high jumping with very heavy ankle weights on, but the bouncing that they do I could see it being okay. I would be afraid it could hurt the ankles and knees. I have a pair of 5# each ankle weights that have weighted bars in them so you can adjust the weight. Right now I have them at 3# each because when my stuff was in storage I bought a pair of 5 # ankle weights. I think that each has 10 weighted bars in them at 1/2 # each. I have had them for about 18 years and they are still good.

Last edited:
Happy Birthday Valerie! I agree with Lori, I hope to be half has fit as you when I am 69.

Carolyn-I just looked your daughter's book up on Amazon. I'm getting the Kindle version. It looks like one I will like.

Lori- I can't believe it's snowing there again :(

Deb-I'm sorry about your computer, I hope it gets fixed soon

Hi to Diane Sue & Caitlin!

Judy

shit oh dear ...Lori 8-10 inches? that totally sucks canal water. can't believe you can get that kind of weather in april, but then I lived in Wisconsin for 20+ years so I know it happens. doesn't mean you have to like it though!.

ha ha... I just keep on keeping on.... nothing is fun if you are out of shape. you guys will do fine!
diane sue you are right, all I got was the quick start guide. will look up the manual tomorrow. went out to dinner at a friends tonight, tired and no more tonight.

My heart rate is normally low. too low sometimes, and that's how I ended up being paced. the pacer only clicks in if I drop really low, like if my heart stops for 30 seconds. it doesn't happen often. I luckily seldom need it, but when I do it's very effective. DH always runs higher heart rates, resting and exercising. will see how he does. we could switch during a ride but he didn't want to today. I'm more concerned that I maybe need to be working at a higher level. I have exercised for a long time and heart rate doesn't go that high... I can get a lot of work done at 126... and drop down very quickly after. but it might mean road biking as we're doing it is not intense enough for weight loss. I can't in reality ride faster than that. 20 mph is already faster than is allowed on the trail. I know my rate goes higher running, on the elliptical, and spinning but I can't do those for 2 hours either.

Good Morning,

So many posts!! LOL...Yesterday I did Ice Muscle Meltdown Shoulders. This is on the To The Mat DVD, no Blasts included.

Lori,that is great that they are sending you the new mat. Good customer service.

Valerie, Happy Birthday! Are you going out to celebrate? I love my Polar HRM;s and would probably not switch unless there was something that I felt would do more. I really only wanr heart rate, workout overall time and calories and these seem to give that. Even the least expensive Polar gives averages, and a training log. Yes, get the downloadable user manual. I think mine is an F4..or FT4. I had an F7 and never used all the "bells & Whistles so went back to the F4 the last time I biught one.

Diane Sue, so exciting getting a bathroom remodel!

Carolyn, that fire sounds horrible, were there many people injured? Atlanta has bad traffic already, this will cause a lot of problems. Your daughter has accomplished a lot!

Lori, oh no!! 8 - 10 inches of snow...ugh! Maybe it won't stay aroung too long.

Agility class this morning,

Take care,

Deb, DH and I did the mountain bike ride to celebrate. plus I got an "all clear" on my mamm report monday. DH was going to make me lasagna for dinner to celebrate rather than go out but our ride was late because of rain in the morning, and we ran out of time. 4: 30 is no time to start cooking. he can make me lasagne over the weekend, since it's raining again today. Lori I feel for you with more snow. endless rain is almost as bad but still no trade.

Deb, I also don't need a lot of features on the monitor. I will only wear it occasionally outside. got the info I needed in one ride. we like the ride, no way, really, to make it much harder. we do other rides with more hills, but clearly cycling does not get my heart rate that high. I can't go 2 hours at 145 either, so calling it what it is, endurance and leg work. make sure I get something shorter & more intense regularly. the mt biking turned out like I thought, like interval training. I will try the monitor on the spin cycle. I expect it will pick up my heart rate right away and will give me more accurate info about heart rate and calorie burn on the spin bike screen. my older straps only work intermittently and are too old to send in for battery replacement.

Carolyn I will look at your daughters book next time I shop amazon. our niece lives in Atlanta and was groaning about how much worse her commute will be. she drives past the fire scene every day but was in CA that day. what a mess!. and if they are arresting people it sounds intentional or at best a bad accident. we have huge problems with homeless people living, camping under all the bridges and freeways here, and they build campfires and cause all kinds of issues. a couple weeks ago we had a propane truck roll over on the I-5freeway downtown, it started leaking and this is exactly what emergency response was worried might happen.

Judy & Lori.. DH and I have always liked activity. what we do has changed over time but we always find something. once you get the habit, you modify and work around problems. we don't run much anymore and backpack less but ride more and do more home workouts. I decided that being inactive made "doing something" too painful.... like going on a hike and then barely able to walk for 5 days after. the solution is to do 'something" all the time and not get badly out of shape. works for us.

Today I did Cardio Slam with the abs followed by Barre Amped Bounce Booty Bounce and stretch, 87 minutes, 563 calories. Got to run. I will try to check back later.

Hi Everyone,
I decided to take today as a rest day. I had a couple of appointments this morning and did that instead. It's such a beautiful spring day here that I was shocked to see the forecast for the northeast. Lori, I hope you don't get too much snow.

My daughter (she is number 2) is a great storyteller which I believe is one reason that her students like her classes. She makes history come alive instead of just events and dates. I am reading the book again since it's been several years.

I have a Polar FT60 and it worked fine for me. My first Polar was the F11 which needs to be sent to the company to get a new battery. That was too much trouble. I will probably stick with Fitbit now because it is so easy to use and to monitor my fitness data.

Valerie, if you are active and enjoying what you do then that is the most important thing. I try to do a variety of workouts since I have never been an outdoors exerciser.

It was amazing that no one was injured in the interstate fire and collapse since it was rush hour. Traffic is terrible here and that's a heavily traveled route.

Have a great day everyone.

Good evening ladies,

This morning was Cathe Live Fit Body Boot Camp. I really liked it but the floor workouts were way too shoulder intensive for me. So I needed to improvise and still felt I got a great workout. I then followed up with 2 Bellicon Bounce Streaming workouts. Total time was 82 mins / 662 cal.

I am so sick of snow. It is a really heavy snow too. Made it so hard to shovel and snow blow. Thank goodness Nicholas was here. He did most of it for us. We must have about 10 to 12 inches and it is still snowing. Ugh.

Diane Sue...Bellicon offers a free 30 day trial and you do not have to enter your cc card information. I did the two workouts by Daisy and loved them. They were fun to do after a weight workout. Nothing crazy. I like that the BarreAmped Bounce DVD are in segments. Makes it easy to mix and match. We could really use a bathroom makover! Funny I have a pair of 5# ankle weights that have the weights throughout and can adjust. So I should use these and adjust to 2#s for bouncing. I have never removed the weights! They are blue and have a Velcro strap. Like yours they are old I think I bought them before my son was born and he is 25. They are still in great condition considering their age.

Carolyn...oh to have a beautiful Spring day!!! Enjoy the weather and your rest day! I put the book in my wish list. It sounds really interesting.

Valerie....omg you crack me up! Never heard of sucking canal water!! Lol!!! Well you are right though. It is so miserable here today. Well at least GiGi is enjoying it.

Deb...you are doing great with the Ice workouts. I am loving all the pictures of the new workouts. I am looking forward to them!

Hi to Judy and Caitlin.

Today my son came over and they pulled all of the carpet out of the bath area, the cabinets in the area we are remodeling, and my son put turn off valves on the pipes that were under the sink so they could remove the sink and cabinets dust everywhere because tile in the smaller bath area where the shower had to be removed so the pipes can be accessed. I had something going most of the day. My granddaughter called and asked me to do her makeup for her senior pictures, then I went to Hobby Lobby with my youngest daughter because she got a sewing machine and wants me to teach her and my granddaughter 9 to sew. Now I have the 9 year old and almost 3 year old here overnight. The plumber will be here at 8 tomorrow morning. I am going to have to get everyone to bed and picked up so I can get up early and get a shower before the plumber comes since I am not sure if he will be cutting off the water. I will have to check back tomorrow when things are quieter.

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.