Pentagenarians & Beyond: W/B 2/7

Today the schedule was either Max Hammer Strength or Hammer Build Up. I was really on the fence on which to do. Hammer Build up hits arms and abs while Max Hammer Strength does not. I finally chose to do Max Hammer Strength , 38 minutes, 168 calories, then I did Hammer Build Up rnd 5,6,7 which was biceps, triceps, and core 16 minutes, 76 calories. I finished off with 15 minute leg hammer which was suggested with Build Up. Total time was 72 minutes and calories burned 372. This is my last week of the Hammer and Chisel rotation. Sunday of course is my rest day so 3 days next week.
Max Hammer Strengtb
each exercise is a 30 sec pre-fatigue and then an 8 rep heavy
reverse lunge R 27 rep
reverse lunge right heavy 27.5# each hand
repeat left
push up 33 rep
bench press heavy 27.5# each hand
squat 28 rep
shoulder squat heavy 31.5# each hand(holding the weights at shoulders kind of limits how much I can lift)
pull up 22 rep (I used heavy tubing and door attachment
pullover heavy 40#
good morning 20 rep
stiff leg dead lift 40# each hand
chin up tubing 30 reps
1 arm row right 40#
1 arm row left 40#
stay low sumo 46 reps
sumo squat heavy 43#
band military press 27 rep
military press 20# each hand
split squat right 29 rep
step up right 20# each hand
split squat left 28 rep
step up left 20# each hand
ledge calf raise 38 reps
seated calf raise 40# each hand
Build up
rnd 5 20 sec standard curls 20# each hand;
20 sec hammer curls 20# each hand
15 sec concentration curl right 20# the 15 sec concentration curl left
rotation curl 30 sec 20# each hand
rnd 6 all moves 30 sec dips 16 reps
kickbacks left 15#
kickbacks right 15#
skull crusher 20# each hand
rnd 7 all 30 sec
med ball plank hold
med ball mountain climber
windshield wiper with med ball right 8 reps (this goes to the side then middle tap with ball in feet. I used 5# instead of 8
repeat windshield wiper left

I have two of my younger grandchildren on the way so will se how many personals I can read :)
Deb, I bet if you search you model of phone you could find cables to stream. I put in my specific model when I searched for one. I hope you don't catch the cold. When my husband had the respiratory virus I took extra oil of wild oregano and zinc lozenges with extra C. I still got it.

Josie, it is hard to imagine it being too hot :) Riding the coast would be fun. I usually workout 6 days a week unless something comes up and I take an extra day.

Valerie, sorry the scale didn't budge much for you. At least it was something.

Lynda, I purchase a rent a lot of movies that are still in theaters through VUDU. My husband has had us move when at a theater if we had a noisy group in front of us. My son and my daughter who is now a doctor both worked in a theater for awhile. We saw a lot of movies when before anyone else and sometimes by ourselves. They still had it where they threaded up the reels so they would test it out. Plus they had employee screenings.

Back again, doing a light workout today. just therapy and some upper body. very wet today, not an outdoor day. I haven't taken a rest day in a while and did a lot this week. I'm sure I get 500 cal for dinner, but try to keep the main dish in the 300 area. when you read calorie counts for restaurant meals they seem to average about 1200-1500 even on lighter sounding dishes. no wonder it's hard to lose if you eat out often.

That's what I like about matinees, less noise / distraction. Used to be half price too, but seems to be full price these days. I'm hoping to see Spotlight before the AA's. on the 28th.
Deb, hope you dodge the bullet with the zinc. we have fewer colds here now that DH is retired. He used to bring viruses home. hard to avoid even with all the hand washing etc.

Nobody here since yesterday afternoon? Wow. Hope everyone is OK and it's just due to the holiday weekend, winter weather, etc.

Deb, I'm assuming that you aren't feeling well.. sorry if that is the case. so odd not to see your morning post. maybe weather has knocked out internet service. Hope you check in later today and are feeling Ok.

we did some routine shopping yesterday afternoon. Missed getting caught in a massive traffic jam by a few minutes. some very hard rain squalls with poor visibility... spray and a downpour .... a huge wreck with a rolled over truck and umpty-dozen emergency vehicles . we missed it by a few minutes, but were headed home and saw it from the other side of the freeway. .

I did x train chest, back, sh. along with therapy exercises. calling it a rest day. wet again today.
we're gearing up for carpet install on Monday. hard to get all the furniture out of the way when we are doing almost the entire upstairs. we need to move furniture back and forth as they complete rooms. our internet connection may be down for a day depending on how the installers do things.

Good morning,

Well I caught John's cold and I feel like just staying on the couch all day and sleeping. UGh....

Josie, good luck on the ride tomorrow. When you are doing the "real" ride, how many miles do they go in one day? Did you say "too hot"??? It's 5 degrees here right now.

Valerie, hey, a loss is a loss, and I think it's more important that your clothes are looser. Yes, got here late due to sleeping on the couch....I am taking those night/day cold tablets that knock you out. How would carpet installer affect your internet connection?

Lynda, I had some zinc lozenges, not Zicam....maybe they were a knock off that didn't do the trick. Next time I will look for the real things. I cannot stand when people go to a movie or other show and chatter through the whole thing...GO HOME!

Diane Sue, wow.....that is a great workout! Thanks for the tip on the phone cable...I will go over and Google it. I know I can get one for my iPad but they are really expensive.

Hi Judy & Lori,

No class today, the trainer cancelled because of the frigid temps. I wouldn't have gone anyway with how I feel.

Have a good weekend!

Deb, our Internet connection comes into the house thru my office. I used to have a separate phone line/number up here for work for my home office. It's one of the rooms that will be re-carpeted. will need to get the cables out of the way, take down the computer. I think DH's system will still work Ok but we'll see. it will only be a day or two at most. I can't type on his keyboard. we're responsible for moving furniture for the carpet people.

It's so funny about movies.... sound systems are set so loud!!!, but someone whispering behind me I hear every word.

Diane sue...meant to say........ I'd love a dermatologist relative. DH's family has a lot of skin cancer issues

Last edited:
Hi Everyone,

Thursday I did a segment of Core Max & Medicine Ball Abs from Ab Circuits. Then I did MM Shoulders & Triceps and finished with a 30 minute spin. Yesterday I did a Spinerval and today I am taking a rest day. It is very cold here, single digit temps and wind chills below zero.

Deb- I'm sorry you caught John's cold :( I hope you feel better soon. I don't have a Roku, I just stream Cathe directly on my iPad or PC.

Josie-have a great ride tomorrow! I can't wait until it warms up here and I can get outside again.

Valerie-I hate being sick too. I always get a flu shot in the fall.

Lori- next week I think I will do the leg workout from 4 DS then add TTM after. I really like the combination of standing and floor work in 1 long workout. I feel like my legs are getting stronger from this.

Lynda-Bonking is like hitting the wall, or running out of fuel and having a hard time finishing a run or bike ride.

Diane Sue-Nice workouts! It's great that your daughter is a dermatologist. You must be very proud of her.

Have a great weekend!

Judy

Good evening ladies!

Yesterday was a complete rest day. My DS came to visit and stayed the night. Been nice spening the day with him today. I was able to get in a workout since he sleeps a lot later than me so had plenty of time. :) I did SB's new fire sculpt again using 2lb ankle weights. I liked the total body section a lot better with the weights but still no intense burn. However, the planks, bridge and core makes up for the light leg work. So all and all I like this section. The second portion is thigh and seat work and I love this section. My legs are screaming towards the end. The pretzel work gets you deep in the glutes. Then the light weights section had my arms on fire and I used only 3lb weights! I have mentioned before I crack up that when doing Cathe workouts I use such heavy weights yet SB fires me up with such light weights.

I was unsuccessful with getting the dishwasher going. I took it all apart, cleaned it, put it back together and still it is the same. It is old so we decided to replace it. I feel better knowing I tried!

Valerie...glad I did not hear you scream! A little weight loss is better than nothing. And great you are noticing it with your close. I am the same way. Just a little weight off and my clothes immediatly fit better.
A free month of WW works!

Deb...yes I love SB equally as much as Cathe. Completely different but they balance things out for me. You should be able to find the right cable to stream from your phone. I think you would like Cathe Live. As you know I love it. Yes exactly why I do not need the demand since I have most of here DVD's or downloads. Hope you are feeling better soon!

Josie...yes I plan to start and get serious with 21 day fix on Monday. Going to do my own workouts but will follow the meal plan since it worked so well last year for me. I bet riding on the coast is so beautiful. Very envious!

Diane Sue...as always great workouts. The H&C workouts do sound great. I am going to start incorporating a couple in throughout the week to try out. Enjoy your grandchildren today.

Lynda...it is sooooo cold here today. I do not think it ever got above 10 degrees. No way did I take Chester for a walk. He seems disappointed but I know he would be miserable. My son just mentioned Apple TV today to me but I really do not need it since I have hooked an older computer up to my TV in the workout area. This works well for all my streaming needs. Plus all my downloads are saved for easy access. Have a nice dinner tomorrow.

Judy...as always amazing workouts! I need to try out the 4DS leg workout. Everyone always says 4DS workouts are great. Glad TTM is workoing for you. I just could not click with it. I do like the live version better but will not be a go to favorite.

Have a great night all. DH is working all day night today and tomorrow. Hoping this will be the last VD weekend alone I will have! :)

Today was Chisel Cardio, 38 minutes, 221 calories. It also had 15 minute glute chisel, 17 minutes, 92 calories. I also added on the bonus dvd Masters Cardio 17 minutes, 115 calories. I think I have only tried that one once. It is generally the second choice if you don't want to do Hammer Plyometrics or Chisel Agility. Total time was 72 minutes, 428 calories. I got my Polar HR7 transmitter back today. I am wondering if they did anything to it. They sent a not saying try wetting the electrodes possibly electromagnetic interference. Since I always wet it and do what it says that seems silly. Plus it was working fine at first. I guess I will see when I use it again. Funny today I was adjusting things after I finished Chisel Cardio, since glute chisel just needs a med ball. We had a pretty strong earthquake for Oklahoma. My weights were rattling together and blinds clattering. The whole room was shaking. We have had a lot of smaller ones lately. There has been a lot of stuff on the news here about it and what is causing them here. Gerite, my dog got up and took off downstairs :)

Valerie, you are probably getting a workout preparing for new carpet. Nothing feels nicer than having new carpet. We need it upstairs. It looks very old. We have so many projects we want to get done here. Downstairs has fairly new carpet. they left the receipts but, I want flooring in most of it and no carpet. I am not a fan of carpet. But it is a sound barrier upstairs. Our last home had all brick, tile, and wood flooring except the workout room. I loved it. Brick was a little tough for cleaning though. When my daughter first started in her office I volunteered for letting her practice on me with their new laser. Great for hair removal. They got rid of it though. Really she prefers taking care of patients that need it and not cosmetic stuff. They took on a PA that only stayed a few months and wanted to do Botox. When she quit they decided that they did not want to do that procedure. I don't know if I was disappointed or not because I told my daughter I would let her practice on me after she went for some training on using it. She is really good and has a good eye for things. I had an itchy spot on my back and she checked it out and it ended up being a skin cancer. I had a horrible burn on my back once when the sunscreen went out in a boat with the guys. I got a lot of spots after that. They have a pool but she makes her children slather up often. My granddaughters get in trouble if they come in pink :) OR even with tan lines.

Deb, I have two ipads that are older. One almost obsolete that won't update any of the programs anymore. I bought a cable for the newer one. It seems to work sometimes and sometimes it doesn't want to. I had two. One off brand that someone recommended that worked for awhile and then I put out the money for the apple one. Still didn't always work. I got tired of dealing with Apple and them seeming to have the attitude that you were stuck with their product. So, I got a Galaxy Note Pro 12 tablet and a Galaxy s5 phone. I like my android products a lot.
I hope you get over that cold quick.

Judy, nice workout. I have my rest day tomorrow. I get my flu shot every year too. I have watched my husband with the flu a few times when I did not get it. Then again here is a couple if times I got the flu even with the shot but, I think it was a bit milder because of the shot. Was supposed to get another pneumonia shot last year but didn't want to go back into the office with all of the sick people to get it as flu was big at the time. This year the doctor says there are new guidelines and I will be doing it when I am 65. Yes, I am proud of my daughter. I am proud of all 3 of my children. All have done well and are hard workers.

Lori, that is nice that you got to spend time with your son. I bet you really enjoyed it. Sorry, the work that you did on the dishwasher was unsuccessful. Mine is working great now. The only thing is that I forget and put the dishes in the sink :) It will take some getting used to having one again.

Diane sue you're right about the noise level. I would prefer a hard surface but our upstairs is LOUD already, so we decided to replace carpet with carpet. we are now about 65%hard surface, 35% carpet. it is cheaper and we wanted carpet on the stairs for better traction. suddenly, it seemed so much simpler to just re-do carpet and not worry about transition areas. besides, when we need to move, this is a com[promise and a new owner could go either way.

Lori, sometimes your best efforts don't work out. dishwashers get hard use and they never last as long as I think they should.
we're working on the hot tub ....the breaker box on the outside wall got fried for no particular reason. we get a lot of brief power outs because of the nearby construction, can't predict it or control it. will go ahead and fix it and see what works out. costs a few hundred to even try, but it's expensive to have it removed too.

did 30 on the elliptical and therapy for another 20 or so minutes. Saturdays are tough finding anything to watch while working out. .

Valerie, I am hoping we don't need to move again. It used to be we would move in and everything was put in it's place within a couple of days. I dread the thought of ever doing it again. The last move was from a large home with front stairs and back stairs, 3 baths, office, 2 living areas 3 bedrooms and a game room, and n oversized garage. We downsized to a detached townhome so we got rid of tons of stuff. Seriously, our garage was packed to the brim with things we probably were never going to use. But, with pets and cleanliness I love non carpeted floors.
I have watched you tube videos on topics I am interested in , or listened to podcasts when using my equipment. Sometimes when I use one of Cathe's spin workouts I listen to a podcast at the same time. Just using cardio equipment with nothing to occupy my mind leads to very short workouts. I get bored quickly.

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.