Pentagenarians & Beyond: W/B 11/12

fox2star

Cathlete
Good morning,

No workout yesterday except for my agility class with Kylee. We did 6 runs...so at least I was up and moving around for an hour. Then we had to tear down the course so that was some lifting. :).

Judy, that restaurant looks really nice. I think RWH is one of the harder Cathe series too. Great job doing shoulder presses with 15's. I think 10's are the heaviest I have ever done for those. I don't remember KCM having a DVD called Abs & Core...not sure how I missed that....I should go look at it over at her site...maybe I do have it.

Carolyn, it seems like we are all on a KCM kick. :). I had the original 6 Firm workouts in Beta format! LOL. Then got them again when they came out in VHS.

Lori, ugh...snow tires...yes depressing. We don't use them, but I know how you feel. My thing that defines winter is putting my Saab in storage. That will be in a couple of weeks. I have not had a flu shot since the early 70's.

Valerie, great that you are back to hiking and riding. I can see why you would not get a kitten.....it makes sense...as they are probably the first to be adopted, so getting an older one is really a nice thing to do and if it works well for you that is even better.

Diane Sue, I hope your grandson is okay. That must be hard sitting there and watching. Yes, the Firm workouts changed when the original owner sold the company. They were my introduction to using weight too.

A workout, then HouseMax for me...

Take care,

Good Morning Everyone,

Yesterday I went for a short walk with Chris. It was cold, but not as cold as Friday. We might get a little snow this morning.

Deb-Thanks! I think 15 is the heaviest I have ever done for shoulder presses. KCM has the Abs & Core DVD on her site for $9.99. I'm not sure if that's a sale price or if it was always less than her regular workout DVDs. Agility class sounds like a workout to me.

Lori-That is a depressing thought :( I hate to think of winter and snow but it looks like it's here. I can't believe all the workouts that 2Lazy4Gym does, then she reviews them in such great detail. I love her blog!

Valerie-I am the opposite with temperature. The older I get, the harder it is for me to handle the cold. I feel like I function much better when the temperature is in the 70's-80's.. I regularly used a sauna when I went to a gym that had one. I've thought about hot yoga, maybe I will try that this winter.

Diane Sue-Thanks for reminding me about KCM's Abs DVD. I'm going to pull that out and do as many of the sections as I can this week.

Carolyn-Great job with Step Boxing. That is one of the KCM's that I haven't done yet.

Have a great day!

Judy

We are pretty acclimated to cool and wet. what we get much of the year especially in the mountains. even down here, 70-80 is OK for riding but getting too warm for me to do anything else. road riding and mt biking are ok but that is approaching my top temp limit. we keep our house set at 62. the basement is always cooler. I used to think I didn't drink enough water. I sweat little and quickly overheat.
I like winter sports although we don't ski as much as we used to. got priced out of downhill long ago. so many areas aren't accessible with roads closed, like the one we walked yesterday. some winters the snow starts at the road, then we start from there. other years we used to drive to the snowline and park and ski from there. we used to have a 20 places at least, but one by one they've become inaccessible, or taken over by snowmobiles. the right clothes are the key to managing cold especially if you're active. some trial and error involved. I have trouble with wool and stick with synthetics. wool seems to have rotated back into favor but it's a lot more expensive. I get itchy. the trick is to wear enough to be warm but not too warm so you sweat. if you are sweating a lot, you will feel cold. it's why so much focus on venting and the fabrics breath enough to remove moisture. I use polypro in some form as a base layer. I wear for home exercise also.
yes, we put on the snows 2 weeks ago.

15 on shoulder presses ... I'm wary of things over my head. I think I do 12. I do more on chest presses. going to start working on ICE today probably starting with metabolic total body.

Good morning ladies!

This morning was SB’s newest 2 bounces. The first one was upper body and the second was a lower. Both were great. My legs were shaking during some of the lower barre moves. This workout is an amazing quad workout. I then did a 35 min premix of Ride then a gentle bellicon bounce. 90 mins total. I was sweaty!

Deb...Yes agility and packing up is a workout. Your body is moving and lifting! Good to know I am not the only one that does not get a flu shot. I am not against them. I just never get to it.

Judy...I won’t go more than 15 for overhead presses. That is plenty for me. A while ago I did do 20 but that was a rare occurance and during STS. 21 degress here today. Yikes!

Diane Sue...wow hope all is good with your grandson.

Valerie...funny I was just having this conversation at work about what everyone keeps their house set at. At night it is 65 for us but during the day it needs to be at least 68 when we are home. When it is really cold I will set it to 70 for a bit. :) When we leave for work it stays at 65. Several people at work (most actually) keep it at 62. No way could we do that. I wish but not happing. My husband likes it warmer too. We hate the cold!

Hi to Carolyn!

A little house max and then some football later today. No other plans.

Hello Everyone,
No workout today, this is my rest day. Our weather is more mist and drizzle, “mizzle “, so a good day for watching football. We keep our thermostat set to 68 during the day and 62 at night. However, on a day like today I keep moving it up a bit :).

Enjoy your day.

Another rest day and family day :) My soreness is subsiding so I think the two day break was a good idea.

Deb, the agility sounds like plenty of workout with the lifting to put up things. Yes, I remember Anna Benson selling the Firm and I think she tried to do something else for awhile, but nothing was ever the same quality to me.

Judy, I am not looking forward to ice and snow. It has been chilly here, but those of you that live north would probably think it was nice. I thought it was going to be upper 50's today, but it did not feel like it and it was windy. I had to come home from church and get a jacket and warmer clothing before we went to my daughter's. It seems like doing hot yoga in the winter would leave you extra cold when you went outdoors. I already have the heat running this year. Usually I manage to keep the settings around 68 and dress accordingly, but lately I can't seem to get warm enough.

Lori, my daughter's in laws just moved to Oklahoma from Florida. He is a native of Florida so the change in temperatures ought to be interesting for him. We were just visiting with them today. I used to never get a flu shot, but after a couple of bouts of feeling like I wished I could die, I was so sick, I decided to keep up with the flu shot. Also I nearly lost my husband after having the flu and picking up pneumonia from eating out in a run down state. No way will I go without again.

Carolyn, I think it feels much colder when it is cloudy and wet with the temperatures. If it is dry and no wind it is much more tolerable. I would like to get an electric blanket for winter. Although I might not want to crawl out of bed. I do lower the temps at night also.

I didn't even write about night time!. we turn the heat off. I don't care how cold it gets. house often drops into the mid fifties. I can't sleep with the furnace on, I wake up every time it cycles on and off. I like cold for sleep. I have an awful time in motels because you can never cool the room down. never could sleep when it's hot, like anything over 65.

I have not had the flu in ages now.... got flu shots most years. DH always was required to get one. as a doc or anyone in health care, it would not be kind to transmit flu virus to your patients. f;lu shots have been mandatory in clinics for a long time. so he got one and so did I. I used to get flu as a kid and thought I was going to die. I don't miss that feeling.
ETA I did 20-25 spin from S&S, 100 knee pushups and core from high reps. I'm doing in 4 sets of 25 each. time got away from me today, and shopping was miserable and crowded. about 40 min total but a good workout with limited time.

Last edited:
Good morning,

Yesterday I did Live Strong Total Body.. 45 minutes, 244 calories.

Judy, I find sometimes a walk is perfect for clearing your mind. I do have that KCM...it is opened but I don't remember doing any of the workouts on it. I need to check it out.

Valerie, I went downhill skiing once, and didn;t care for it. Same with CC skiing....I liked it better but not enough to be out in the cold that long. Do you ever snow shoe? We have 2 zones, we keep the downstairs at 68 and the upstairs at 66.

Lori, great workouts and 90 minutes of that stuff has to be killer!

Carolyn, I like the term "mizzle"...

Diane Sue, sometimes your body just needs that break. I think the toughest Firm was the Susan Harris first one. John has an electric throw....smaller than a blanket, and great for sitting in the recliner. The dogs love it and jump right up on him when he has it on.

Puppy class this morning, then taking my friend for her treatment. Only 6 more days for her on this. I pray that it does some good.

Take care,

Valerie, that was a good quick workout last night. I do not like shopping on weekends, but it has to be that way sometimes. With Christmas coming up and Thanksgiving it will be that way no matter what. I need to start getting up and going first thing in the morning. I would have went to Sprouts after taking my grandson to school this morning, but I needed to get back and fix my husband breakfast before he goes to work. I cook him breakfast and he skips lunch since he gets off at 4. I have not had the flu for a few years now. After my husband being in Iraq I had the tlu and several weeks later pneumonia. The flu shot that year did not cover the flu strain I got.

Judy, I looked at Kelly's abs core dvd on Amazon. I think I will check her website and Total Fitness first. They ad varying prices and years listed on that dvd on Amazon. I wondered how that could be. I would rather not pay 12.99 and end up with a knockoff or something.

Deb, I could see the dogs loving the electric throw. I have seen those. It seems most of the breaks that I take end up being due to extra activities. I could have probably made it happen though. I have finally made myself understand that an occasional break does not make much difference and can be a good thing. I always feel a bit stiff though. I need a good warm up this morning.

I liked downhill skiing when I was in my 20's. I was OK at it but leveled out at decent intermediate. I am a little pigeon toed, could never get parallel. equipment and lift tickets jumped :eek:in price, and plastic boots came in to popularity and I could never get them to fit. expensive and they hurt! I switched to xc skiing. we did thousands and thousands of miles of that. still do some but like I said earlier , places to ski are not as available any more. we liked to set out own track. machine tracks are too wide. I get sore knees trying to ski in them. Talk about a great calorie burn!
snowshoeing is ok but slow. with skiing it's slow going up, fast coming down. snowshoes it's slow both ways. I have the same issue I had with skis, my feet set down close together. it's hard to find snowshoes narrow enough. the first ones were a disaster, but shoes are more narrow now so I wasn't the only one with a problem! snowshoeing is fine for bad snow conditions, or terrain too steep for skis.

we still xc ski and snowshoe just less than we used to. it's like hiking for me.... I don't appreciate crowds and loud rude people. we always did it to get away to peace and quiet, animal tracks and animals in winter and now it tends to be a 3 ring circus. snowmobiles and other "big tire" winter vehicles are more frequent and chew everything up with their noise and stink. we try to get away from the zoo but it is becoming harder to do. snowmobilers don't want to pay to park their vehicles so a few try to use quiet roads instead and once they take over a road, it's not safe or pleasant to ski or snowshoe there anymore. a bunch of obnoxious yahoos. Montana is a good place in winter for that reason. same things exist there, but not so many people so you can get quiet and solitude and not get run over. snowmobilers run over skiers tracks and skiers if they can. If a snowmobile has been up a road, you can smell them for weeks. really. I have zero tolerance for them.

Like hiking, you need to carry enough gear to be safe if conditions change, or you have an equipment failure, like breaking a ski. we like to ski in Yellowstone and surrounding. people are spread out enough so usually they are not running over each other. Tracks are so interesting, as are the animals.

we have some down throws that we like to sit with. cats find you quickly when you are wrapped in one.

Poor DH was overrun and overcome at Costco yesterday. I'm used to it and ignore crowds, screaming babies, just run in, get my "stuff", and get out. found someone's credit card at the checkout. was able to get it to the owner before he left, my good deed for the day. Today is his birthday so going out for lunch with cousin and wife. stopping at REI to look for light weight, low hiker boots for him. need to try that kind of thing on, can't just buy what looks nice. I'm a big fan of low hiker boots ( or trail runners) for fall and winter instead of tennies. more tread, waterproof, and look fine with casual clothes. I have some Oboz ones I absolutely love.

Flu can lead to many bad things, pneumonia being one, and I hate to get knocked out of the game for several weeks. I used to end up with a head cold but never had pneumonia. I make a point now of getting the shot. I used to be a skeptic. now I just do it.

Mizzle ... we get that a lot. funny, the sound of the word tells you what it is.

Today I did Jessica Smith’s 30 Minute Fat Blaster Walk from her 30 Day Plan. I wore my 1 1/2 pound gloves and burned 223 calories. Average heart rate was 134 and maximum heart rate 164. After that I did a Barre Amped Cardio Bounce from the SB dvd and the stretch. That was 21 minutes, 85 calories, average heart rate 109 and maximum heart rate 131.

I started getting flu shots about 8 years ago. The Health Department would come to our office to do it and it was covered by insurance. Now I get one every year. Valerie, it’s the same here with the pharmacy workers trying to get us to get our shots there. I prefer to get mine at my doctors office.

Diane Sue, it’s good that you took a couple of rest days regardless of the reason. Grocery shopping this time of year can be very stressful. I went out this morning and missed the crowds, but many things had not been restocked after the weekend. I went to two stores and still didn’t get everything on my list.

Deb, one of the female weather reporters used the word mizzle by mistake once when she was talking about fog, mist, and drizzle. She laughed about it at the time and now will say it intentionally. I picked it up from her.

Lori, I really like the SB Bounce dvd. Thanks again. I followed both Jess and Suzanne depending on the move.

Hi to Judy.

Today I did Kelly Coffey Boot camp workout #1, 30 minutes, heart rate average 127, max 162, 199 calories, 1,836 steps. Last week I just did the cardio only from this workout. I then did Kelly's Power Sculpting from the Lift dvd, 39 minutes (I had so many stop times that I wondered if I was going to be able to finish), heart rate 109 average, 147 max, 181 calories, 732 steps. This one is more metabolic and seems quite active with no rests. I remembered it as all weights, but that was all I remembered about it. I started with 12 # dumbbells, soon lowered to 10's for the heavy's and at one point I dropped from 8's (in lieu of Kelly's 7.5) to 5's with the front push moves that were fast paced. I did not do the warm up for this one. It should have been around 29 minutes actual time. Total time was 69 minutes and calories burned 380.

Valerie, my son had one foot that turned in when he would try to run when he was little. He would trip over his own feet. We took him to a doctor that set him up for prescription wedges in his shoes that helped correct the way he turned his feet. It corrected it well and no problem again. I often have a limp problem that I don't notice but others are glad to point it out. One leg and hip is slightly off and I think it makes me walk odd. One knee is a tad higher than the other. I hate trying to run through a store quickly and people just stand there and block the aisle. I find myself turning around and coming in from the other side. People do not want to make their children move either. It is annoying. I try to be kind though. Funny, I wanted something off of one of the shelves at Sprouts today and a girl was standing on the ladder trying to move things on the top shelf. I was just about to go on and forget what I needed when she came down and jerked the ladder to the side and looked at me like, get what you want, now! I picked up the box of crackers and told her thanks. She must have been having a bad day. I used to be kind of a skeptic on the flu shot , till my husband kept skipping the shot and getting it and I didn't get it. I was the one running to the store for flu meds. I always remind him of the sinus infections that seem to show up after it is all over and the dizziness he gets. I think that helps encourage getting the shot.

Carolyn, I have found going to the store during the day on Monday's usually does leave me with the leftovers from the weekend. They are all running around restocking. I still have a couple of things that I am going to have to drag myself to the large Walmart store for. I really do not like to go there.

clinics have reasons for requiring flu shots. first, they deal with sick people, so all their workers will get exposed. time and time again. if a worker gets flu, they transmit it easily to more healthy patients plus other clinic workers and that is sick time and down time for everyone that costs companies money. it is a good place to break the chain of transmission. besides, shots are usually free. even if you happen to get it anyway, you will probably have a less serious illness. it reached the point here where clinics could not get a supply of shots because the pharmacies grabbed it all.

yes, the cart and child brigade that blocks every aisle! and the food sampling stations at the end of the aisles. I don't like shopping on weekends either.
legs are not so uneven that I need a corrective devices, but a small angle at the foot translates into more of a problem over the length of a ski. I could have gotten wedges in the boots to straighten it out, but I was losing interest at that point anyway. It's less a problem with xc skis especially when we make out own track. the machine tracks are hard for me to use as they are wide apart and straight.

Hi Everyone,

Yesterday I did Jessica Smith Gentle Yoga and today I did KCM Cardio Pump, (part of the cardio workout and all of the weight section), then a segment from KCM Abs & Core and some stretching. Total time was 81 minutes.

Deb-yes, walking is so good for clearing your mind and thinking things over. I've only gone downhill skiiing once and I didn't really care for it. I've never tried cross country skiing. I hope that the treatments are helping your friend.

Diane Sue-That is weird that Amazon shows so many different years and prices for Kelly's ab DVD. I just looked and they show 4 different listings with dates from 2010 to 2015.

Valerie-I hope your DH had a nice birthday!

Hi to Lori & Carolyn!

Reactions: WD
Good evening ladies,

This morning was Jessica’s 20 min arms followed up with Cardio 2 of BBS’s new Bounce dvd. I love this bounce DVD. It is receiving mixed reviews over on VF. I am used to her style and it is exactly what I expected from her. Total time was 40 mins. Tonight I did the barre portion of Cathe’s LBB plus a Bellicon gentle bounce. Time was 31 mins.

Diane Sue...I completely understand why you get your flu shot. Very scary with how sick your husband was. I am so not looking forward to xmas shopping! It will be here before you know it. You are really getting thru your KCM! Good for you! I know you had mentioned earlier you were disappointed with the shorter cardio of Cathe’s new workouts. They are perfect for me. I like that I will be able to string a bunch of different workouts together. How is your grandson? Hope all is good.

Deb...I do believe that is the Firm Tape I started with. I loved that workout. I actually rebought it on dvd a few years back. The styles are hysterical. I remember thinking she was beautiful! I should try it out just to see if it stood the test of time.

Caroyln...I like that Jessica workout and have done it a few times. I am so glad you like the SB dvd. I like you can make it as easy or as hard as you want. Jess is in amazing shape. In another workout she has shorts on and wow her legs are so toned. I love mizzle! :)

Valerie...you turn your heat off at night? We could never!!! Good for you! I never liked downhill skiing. I was always afraid to jump off the lift. Not sure why but I would get really anxious. We live 2 miles from Mt. Wachusett and I have never skied it. My husband has and we have had friends come to spend the weekend then go skiiing for the day. I like cross country and have been a few times. Been a while though.

Hi to Judy!

Judy, I checked Kelly's site and that abs core workout was 9.99. I will probably get it there. I haven't looked at Total Fitness yet. I thought that workout compilation was done more recently than 2010. I thought it was really odd. Cardio Pump is a good workout. I am going to do the older kickbox one tomorrow and probably add abs to it.

Lori, I just figure that I will do more than one workout :) I just would have liked to see the cardio and weight segments a bit longer. When you get done with the warm up and stretch you are only getting a very short cardio workout. I string workouts together all of the time anyway.

Valerie, I could see the ski machine not working as well. I too, do not think I could turn the heat off at night. I would have to have lots of covers to be able to sleep. My problem is I start out toasty and then the heat cuts in and I am sweating and kicking off covers only to add them back. It is a bit frustrating, but I wouldn't be able to sleep if it was cold.

Good morning,

No workout yesterday.

Diane Sue, I agree, a break is a good thing. :). I would feel better as well getting that DVD from KCM's site or Total Fitness. We went to Walmart last night...ugh....not my favorite store. I picked up an electric throw for my friend...she is always cold now, probably due to the treatments.

Valerie, I can understand why you would want to move to Montana, with the large vast areas and the quiet trails etc. Great that you were able to get the CC back to the owner. I bet they were happy! Happy Birthday to your husband.

Carolyn, I am not looking forward to grocery shopping for Thanksgiving....good for you for getting out there early.

Judy, good workouts. I need to look at that KCM Cardio Pump to see what premixes there are.

Lori, I am amazed at how you and others string different workouts together. It would take me so much time to figure out what to do, that I would probably give up and not do anything. LOL...Yes, Susan Harris was beautiful, and had this sort of sexy and throaty voice....John used to laugh at it whenever I was doing that workout ..:)...did she wear ankle warmers in that workout?

A workout, then class with Kylee...then off to a "distress session" at the university with Kylee. The students love to have the dogs there.

Take care,

Deb, i am sure with your friends treatments that things are not working right with her. That is so nice that you got her an electric throw.
Susan Harris was beautiful. I liked her in her other workout as well where she was with another instructor. I believe she had on a yellow outfit with the leg warmers. She wore pink in the other one. I wish I had them to do again. At one time we had an 8 mm player and I had dubbed them off the vhs to 8 mm. Then the 8 mm was fast going off the market. I managed to get family movies off of the 8 mm to disc but not the Firm workouts. Every movie we purchased in 8mm went in the trash as they were useless.

I just looked at Total Fitness and they are 12.99 for the Kelly Abs and Core. It says release date 2015. That really makes the Amazon copies suspicious.

Yep, heat off at night. Keep in mind it does not get as cold here as some areas. mostly 30's or 40's, sometimes 20's but the house may get down to mid fifties. the noise of the furnace coming on and going of plus the hot air wakes me up every time. I like sleeping cold. whoever gets up first turns on the heat. I don't need a lot of blankets or clothing, just a very warm sleeper and always have been. the downside is if I stay at someone's house, or a motel, I get zero sleep because you can't ever get the rooms to cool down and it is a real trigger for insomnia for me.
I started downhilling in Wisconsin, and did it out here in WA for a few more years. I did a few ski vacations in Idaho. Suddenly it did not appeal anymore. It got expensive, didn't like plastic boots. so switched to xc skiing.

I did 30 min on the elliptical yesterday. DH's birthday. went out to lunch with cousin & wife, did some shopping for boots for him. it was very windy rainy, expected a power out. but didn't happen. had to get dinner ready early. expecting to use the barbecue or the camper. today looks less turbulent.

Deb the card belonged to the customer ahead of me. he set it on the counter and it blended right into the advertising there. I felt it when I set my bag down. the checker and bagger didn't know which person he was. I stood behind him for several minutes and knew. I'm glad we caught him. losing a card is such a PITA.

Hopefully today will get back to ICE .

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.