Pentagenarians & Beyond: W/B 10/30/2022

Traildoggie

Cathlete
good morning.

a dust up with my sister. she makes monumentally stupid choices and stubbornly refuses to listen to reason. I am insisting ( I'm cant be there to check) she carry a small sling bag to the store and medical appts. about 8"x 10" with several zip pockets. I bought it for her several years ago. she takes only her wallet and keys that dont all fit in her pockets. she wants a new wallet. this is wearing out. she wont even look at the bag I already bought her.
she walks or rides with various ride services, not people she knows. she has lost her wallet and checkbook before.
she has unexpected seizures. she lives in an iffy neighborhood. She won't take her phone with her! she "hates it". I have tried reason. I have listened xx times about ride services who didn't show up, left her standing out in the cold and dark after the medical office closed. ride service can't contact her to find her! she cant rely on someone else calling and probably doesnt know the number anyway. she could have a seizure, get mugged, fall on ice and break an ankle etc. What could possibly go wrong here.... ???

I haven't seen a pay phone in years. I take a phone with me or DH has his. I'm not paranoid about danger but this is a disaster waiting to happen. she can barely use the phone but probably could call 911 if she had to. please tell me if I'm being unreasonable. I am trying to head off a disaster. I'm not buying another wallet. she digs out the sling bag and carries it or I'm done here. the agency that provides the free phone requires one call a month, so I know if forced she can semi use it.

Last edited:
This morning I did the recent Live Muscle Mash Up. Compound exercises, more noticeably upper body, core focus, but using the legs. 10-15 lb weights though I grabbed 8's for one thing. She's clearly gotten used to using heavy weights during STS 2.0 and while the class normally uses the same weights she does, very few of them were matching her on this workout. I certainly wasn't!

I also went and walked at the zoo. Last day they are open for the season. Normally I don't go on Sundays. Was cool enough (43) to keep some people away at least till afternoon, and I was second in only to the ,older than me, guy who walks every day. He's says he's only missed about 10 days in 17 years. I head straight to Africa and can do quite a bit of it before other people show up, since most people to the area in the original zoo first. Weather permitting to get there, Fort Worth will be the next zoo I go to.

Valerie I'm sorry your sister is causing you so much frustration. There are no winners in the situation, and you are left with no way to help and real help not being accepted anyway. As long as my Dad Is around my Mom will be okay, but there are so many things she can't/won't do herself. Should something happen to him, she won't be as bad as your sister, but there will be a lot of issues and none of us have the patience to deal with her. He's a saint for what he puts up with.

Caroline great job getting your yoga in.

Today is a rest day. I did Raw Athletic Stretch #2 again and added 5 minutes with the foam roller for upper back shoulder area. Total time was 34 minutes.

Fortunately, we have only had one break in and that was many years ago. Thieves took some things out of our apartment, and we did not notice for a
while as they were odd things and old collectable things we did not use or get out often. Once there was attempt on one of our homes, but my husband had put a steel plater 1/4 inch thick in the door frame with very long screws. No way could they kick it in or try to widen the frame to get the door open. It was a side garage door.

Valerie, I am sorry your sister is so resistant to change and doing what she needs to do. You are right it is unsafe for her. No pay phones around anywhere as far as I know. They would probably be vandalized anyway. I remember having to walk to find a pay phone with my 3 children in tow when our older used cars would break down. Not a pleasant position to be in or safe even back then. It is much less safe now. She needs to use that cell phone!

Cathy, Cathe can lift some incredible weights for arms that I could never match anyway. I sure used to try. After first round of STS I could do 25# dumbbell curls and occasionally get a couple of reps at 30#. Sure cannot do that now. It seems compound moves would be hard with heavy weights. Nice job on the zoo walk.

Carolyn, enjoy your rest day. I woke up late and did not make it to church so after I did my morning Bible study at home I got in a stretch workout. I love doing yoga and mobility type stuff.

I did 15 min on the spin bike and my therapy exercises for 45min. tomorrow I revisit the therapist. hoping for harder exercises but fewer repeats. it takes a long time to run through so many repeats but since its therapy, I feel uncomfortable making changes.

cathy it's been ages since I've been to a zoo. a wonderful place to get in some mileage.

Cathe is incredibly strong. diane sue that is impressive. I remember getting to 20 lbs but never 25 that I remember. my hands and wrists are arthritic so that was likely the max for me. oh yes, cars are so reliable these days..easy to forget how often they didn't work in the past.

sigh... she always was belligerent but then wants help with everything because she doesn't know how to do anything. then won't do simple self protective things necessary in the world today. she's had epilepsy almost her entire life. she has seizures, can injure herself when she falls. that alone is reason for a phone. all I can think of is Groundhog day, same thing over and over again. if she needs to call 911 she needs a phone to do it. if her ride doesnt show up, she needs a way to contact them, or for them to contact her.

I apologize for getting off on another rant here but it's so frustrating. I fully understand how her ex and her kids and almost everyone else who knows her stops contact. cathy its like dealing with dementia. your dad has a tough job ahead.

Just finished MY IMAX workout and I definitely need to tweak it. I've got step combos followed by blasts that don't get my heart rate as high as the combo did. I also thought of an idea for an IMAX that would be easy to throw together, so I'm going to do that later. My current rotation takes me through the day I leave for the trip to Fort Worth, so out of curiosity I plugged STS into the workout manager calendar. It would take me through the first week of March to finish it, but I figure it's my best shot for being really ready for STS 2.0. And all they are saying about shipping for that is first quarter of 2023. That's a lot of disks to edit especially since she's said they are doing a lot of premixes. Have a few weeks yet to decide, but I know me and the only time I consistently lift heavy is when I'm doing STS.

Diane Sue nice job with the stretch and foam roller. My most memorable car incident needing help was when I was in about 6 grade. Our road was turning to mud, and soon after everyone stopped using it for a month, but my Mom had all three of us in the car when it got stuck and she had to go up to the corner out of sight and across a main road to the gas station to find someone to tow us out. She sort of jogged, but we thought it was more duck like and got great fun out of laughing at her Donald Duck run while she was gone and to this day, 50 years later, it'll still sometimes get brought up.

Today I did Strong and Sweaty Bootcamp, rounds 1-4. That was 32 minutes and 202 calories burned. My average heart rate was 130 and maximum heart rate was 156.

Valerie, the situation with your sister is very different. I hope that she will at least try the phone for emergencies. Is there any kind of social services agency where she lives that might help? Maybe Senior Services. Someone to assist her with transportation would be better than relying on strangers.

Diane Sue, rest and recovery days are very important. I see that Cathe has built them in to her upcoming workout series.

Cathy, nice work with Live Muscle Mashup and your IMAX.

Hello to Judy and Lori.

Carolyn, she works with Medicaid/ senior agencies. part of the program provides her with the phone and free service since they consider it vital even for medicaid people. they also provide rides thru different groups for different purposes. low income programs she is a part of. church groups, volunteers do most of the driving. some are limited to medical appts, or grocery shopping. she keeps track of rides pretty well ( a reason I don't think dementia, just stubborness) but once she leaves the house she's out of contact. she has no idea who is the driver or what the car looks like. she could be at one end of a building looking for a car while they could be parked at the other end, waiting. I long ago gave up on her using the internet but I hoped she could do simple phone calls. I have concluded the only way for her to use the phone is if she is forced.

30 on the elliptical, and therapy work for 40 min.

Last edited:
Today I did Perfect 30 Low Impact HiiT and the Extended Stretch. That was 36 minutes with 205 calories burned. My average heart rate was 124 and maximum heart rate was 149.

Waving hello to everyone. Have a wonderful day.

I did Live To the Mat: Legs, Glutes and Core. My lower back was tight, so I skipped the core. It’s a good workout, but a lot of reps. Uses green and pink elastic loops, green fabric loop and stability ball.

For some reason my passwords aren’t working for certain things on different devices. I can‘t Get into the forum on my laptop, but got in on my iPad going to the workout manager first. I know I someone ended up with two sets of things linked to my account, but all the saved passwords had been working so I have no idea what happened. I’ll have to go through 5hings later and try to figure out what is working and relog in other places.

Carolyn great job with P30 Low Impact Hiit and stretch.

Yesterday was a rest day. Today I did 90 minutes of Peloton rides. I did about an hour of higher aerobic riding and then a 30 minute scenic ride at a very easy pace.

Valerie-I'm sorry about your sister and the frustration that she is causing you. I can't imagine going anywhere without a phone and in her situation it sounds extremely unsafe for her to be going out without one. I haven't seen a pay phone in years either.
Nice job with the elliptical and therapy work.

Cathy-Great job with Live Muscle Mash Up, IMAX and Live To the Mat: Legs, Glutes and Core.

Diane Sue-Nice job with Raw Athletic Stretch #2 and foam rolling.

Carolyn-Great job with your yoga, Strong and Sweaty Bootcamp, rounds 1-4 and Perfect 30 Low Impact HiiT and the Extended Stretch.

Hi to Lori

Just finished Cardio Box: Arms and Abs. It's a newer live and may be my new favorite boxing workout. It's 49 minutes, and even with the abs and stretch, I got 76 zone minutes and my average bmp was 130! Discovered this morning that while I had figured out my password for the forum and workout manager, I had to give up and get a new one for streaming. I still don't understand how I ended up with a different one for that, but I wrote it down and saved it on my devices. and what's really weird is that from streaming with the different password, I can access the forum with my account. Two passwords, same account, so confused. LOL

Judy great job with the long Peloton rides!

thanks, I feel I'm realistic about importance of a phone now. not trying "to boss her around" like she says. she is at huge risk to get into a bad situation. if she has a seizure walking to the drug store, she could lie there for hours before anyone would notice. she should be able to call 911 if conscious.

cathy I'm careful about user ID and passwords. occasionally one won't work for unknown reason. I keep a typed list, some I have the site remember for me. An issue we have (in this house) is DH chooses not to recognize the difference in upper and lower case letters. he will record a pw with mixed letters. if I type it as written, it's not right for case sensitive sites. he's not consistent about it. he will write "D" when he means "d". and so on, thru the alphabet. he can't spell either. he's a very smart educated guy but he didn't pay attention in 2nd and 3rd grade. I can barely read his writing. he can read it, but he's the only one.

did 30 on the elliptical and went to PT yesterday getting a harder series of exercises and fewer repeats.

I had an early medical appointment today, so no workout. It was my annual oncology appointment which I get a little nervous about. Everything is fine, but I tend to focus on the “what ifs” before the appointment.

Judy, nice job with 90 minutes of Peloton rides and taking a rest day.

Cathy, great job with Live To the Mat Legs, Glutes, and Core and Cardio Box Arms and Abs. It’s odd that your passwords stopped working like that. Having two passwords for the same account is confusing.

Valerie, I’m not surprised that the PT changed your exercises. It was time and you were doing very well. I write down passwords and I make sure that it’s clear when I use capital letters.

Hello to Diane Sue and Lori.

Yesterday I did Raw Step and Pump and a CDorner Mobility mindful movement workout. It was one of those crazy days where everything went wrong. They came to the door early to mark the electric lines, I was on the phone for an hour trying to get an appointment to get my real id for my drivers license renewal. I had called the one tag agency 3 months in a row and yesterday I started as soon as they opened as they said call on the first. Well, it stayed busy till 10 minutes later and then said they were full of appointments call the 1st of next month. So, I tried another in the city next to us and they were nice. I got an appointment set up for January. They were booked till January. Then I called the eye doctor to find out if my glasses were in as it had been 5 weeks. The lady went to check and came back and said she had to check into what was going on and would call back. I have not heard anything. I paid for them when I was in the office. Then we went to early vote and ran into all kinds of road work, traffic blocks and found out we were a day early. Then on the way home we got blocked in a school parent line trying to get into the school parking lot to pick up their children. One lane only as the other was blocked for road work. It was a nightmare. Got home and then right after it got dark the power went out. My husband had to manually open the garage door to go to work. So, I did not accomplish much at all yesterday.
I am really liking Kelly's Raw Stretch #2. It sure helps loosen up the tightness in my low back and hip flexors. The music is fun as it has Eagles, Carly Simon, Elton John etc.. I want to sing while I am doing a stretch LOL

Today I did CDorners live step workout #248 Cardio Step Live and also did a 4 minute Raw warm up while waiting for the live workout to stop. This was 36 minutes, heart rate 114/138, 153 calories, 3,814 steps. I finished with Raw stretch #2 29 minutes, heart rate 78/100, 47 calories. Total time was 65 minutes, 200 calories. We went and early voted today. The first group of tables was set up for us to fill out a form with our info and sign saying we did not mail in vote prior to coming in and early voting. They had a really good organized set up and plenty of places set up to fill out the ballots before putting them in the machine. It was a pretty quick in and out as we went before people were off work and schools out. They said they had a pretty good turnout already for the first day. I had the fun of getting woke up by the electric company wanting to get in my yard to dig to the box to set up for the house behind us. I had to throw a t shirt over my pajamas to answer the door. I am really tired of having them showing up early. The guy said I could let my dog out because it would be a while. Well awhile was like 15 minutes and she was crazy because they were on the other side of the fence preparing and the neighbor's dogs were going nuts. Then one of the guys came into the yard while we were still out there. He sort of ducked because Gertie was barking, but she minds well. I told her to go in the house and she did. She did not get to finish her outside business though and I was pretty annoyed. She ate and kept trying to let me know she needed out. No accidents, but I could not do anything. If I took her out on leash she would not go.
Tonight, I might get some work done. Dog gets a bath today.

Valerie, I used to feel like I could not let the instructor outdo me. Sort of a competitive thing. Even doing the Body Beast workouts with men, I tried to keep up with the guys working with Sagi. No way could I compete with him. The guys with him were going much lighter than he did. Even just before I had the first time going to PT with the neck and shoulder issues I think 3 years ago? I picked up a 25# dumbbell and would do a few biceps curls just to make sure I still could. I have wrist arthritis and hands, feet. It seems almost everything, but lately my wrists are having some pain from just doing planks and push ups. Even too much time on my hands doing yoga and mobility workouts can cause me pain. Most arthritis sites say you can lift weight and do exercises, but best not to do it when the areas are inflamed and painful. I rarely have a completely pain free day lately. I have learned I need to be careful about pushing too hard. Doctors say to do some strength work, but I do not think they realize even though I have told them I do that, that I lift a decent amount of weight. I bought new lifting gloves that have more wrist support in them which is somewhat helpful. My arms feel kind of weak after all of the rest they had over the last year and a half or so.
Your sister is lucky that she has you to help her. I hope she realizes that at some point.

Carolyn, nice work on Perfect 30 Low Impact yesterday. I understand worrying about those appointments. I go back to the Breast care center to have an ultrasound on the cyst they spotted on the mammogram last visit. I think I worry more so because I have that pain in the rib cage/sternum area and behind the left breast, which is not the one with the cyst. I still think all symptoms sound like costochondritis which us usually on the left side where the pain is. Also, I read that it can be a part of rheumatoid arthritis. But still it makes me anxious.

Cathy, I have to keep a password log and I have been afraid to destroy my older ones because over the years a lot of my passwords have changed and there are those that my computer and devices remember so I never look at them to remember them anymore. I have two on Cathes site. My log in for the forums is different from the one for the workout manager and account for shopping and doing live workouts.

Judy nice work on the Peloton ride. I hope that you had a nice rest day.

who could have imagined decades ago that passwords and email addresses would become as huge a factor as they have? sometimes web sites change their criteria and you need to reset and sometimes I think thats where the trouble comes in.

diane sue, I have a lot of oasteoarthritis in my wrists and hands and feet. so far not so much bigger joints. my knee issue is not great but not really arthritis related. I used to challenge myself with heavier weights and the wrist support does help some, but I would rather regularly use more moderate weight and not tax the joints too much.

my sister has a pattern of being reasonable for a while and then getting testy and mouthing off and offending people who helping her. she resists any and all changes. I cant list the things people have gotten for her that she shoves into the corner. she won't even try to learn. sewing machines, alarm clocks, can openers, cell phone. ETA even shoe laces... she cant use continuous loop shoe lacesthat tighten by pulling or pushing a device further onto the lace. she finally threw away VCR and tapes because I told her to. she never used it so it sat there since 1985 or so. I am 3 yrs older. she was the person who annoyed everyone and was unable to make or keep friends. watching this go on for 70 years. no chance it will improve. still, I don't need to make it easy for her to do stupid things. times have changed, she needs a phone with her. until she agrees, I am withdrawing services.

had our neighbors over for wine and snacks last night and to discuss her finishing treatment for breast cancer. she is doing great and looks great. so happy for her! her hair has grown in silver and gray and very thick and wavy instead of straight. she lost weight and I told her she makes me think of jamie lee curtis.
did therapy yesterday but that was it. I got upgraded on exercise difficulty and less repeats. I am almost ready to start upper body work again. wish I knew what happened except that it was definitely not during a workout. it is the right shoulder and has very slowly improved over many weeks now. I miss those.

Last edited:
Shopped today, but woke up early so I did Live Yoga and Mobility Stretch. I still have done the other mobility live. It's another gorgeous day here. I will absolutely take sunny and almost 70 in early November.

Diane Sue that truly is a really bad day you had the other day! We used to have to shut up our dog when people came to do things because he just knew they were really only there to see him. We didn't with the neighbor when he did stuff for us because they had been over the fence buddies from the time we got him.

Valerie great that your PT is progressing to more difficult moves.

Hi to everyone else!

Today was another medical appointment, this time for my husband. This week’s appointments were rescheduled from an earlier date at the physicians requests. I’ll be glad to get back on a normal schedule.

Diane Sue, you’ve had a lot going on the last few days. I got my real ID compliant license when I renewed several years ago. It was relatively easy to get an appointment then, but I had to make a second trip because I didn’t have all of my documents. I wasn’t even aware of Real ID at that time. I hope that your glasses are ready soon. I had that happen once and it was very annoying. The delay was caused by some type of supplier issue. Great job with your workouts.

Cathy, great job with getting up early to do Live Yoga and Mobility Stretch.

Valerie, I’m glad that your therapy exercises were upgraded. That’s great news about your neighbor. Definitely something to celebrate.

Hello to Judy and Lori.

Yesterday I did Live #309, Push Pull Total Body Heavy Weight and today I did 40 minutes of Peloton rides.

Carolyn-I'm glad that everything went fine at your doctor appointment. That's always a good feeling.

Diane Sue-Nice job with Raw Step and Pump and the CDorner Mobility workout. I plan on doing Kelly's Raw Stretch #2 this weekend. It sounds nice and relaxing. I'm sorry your week has been so busy and chaotic.

Valerie- It's great that your PT is progressing so well. That is really good news about your neighbor too.

Cathy- Great job with Cardio Box: Arms and Abs and Live Yoga and Mobility Stretch. I will have to try the Cardio Box one, it sounds like one I would really like too.

we have a slightly different drivers license thing, ours is called "enhanced drivers license". I think its like Real ID. we pay about $30 extra. so far DH and I have used passports instead but I think when our renewal comes up we will switch to enhanced. our renewals go for 7 years.

Judy it was so good to see her. we haven't seen her in almost a year. she had an obscure but potentially bad type of breast cancer so opted for surgery, chemo and radiation. she's had a tough year. it was so good to see her looking and feeling so good.

some nasty weather arriving today with potential power outs with wind and heavy rain. it wasn't long ago I was complaining about how dry it was. things have changed dramatically!

I go my second knee injection yesterday so only did therapy work for about 40 minutes. today I can get back on the elliptical or spin bike. it seems sensible to me to let the injected liquid settle into place for a day without a lot of long vigorous movements.

Last edited:

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.