Pentagenarians & Beyond: W/B 10/26

fox2star

Cathlete
Good morning,

Today I did Gym Styles Chest & Triceps, ( Timesaver premix). It felt good lifting weights again.

Valerie, I read about the tribal triangle, that is so sad... your sentiments regarding quarantine are agreed on in many places...NY, NJ and now Illinois :

" imposed a mandatory quarantine of 21 days — the incubation period of the deadly virus — on travelers who have had contact with Ebola patients in the countries ravaged by Ebola — Liberia, Guinea and Sierra Leone. A similar measure was announced in Illinois."

Hi to Lynda, Lori, Judy and Josie,

Lots of HOuseMax for me today,

take care,

Hi Deb, Josie, Valerie, Lori, and Judy--

This morning I did SB's BarreAmped (61:00). I didn't do the final stretch.

Valerie, I heard about the shooting on MSNBC yesterday. Very sad to die so young. I don't know about the quarantine. If I were a health worker volunteer returning to discover I would be imprisoned for 21 days, I would probably not volunteer my services to begin with. The nurse now in quarantine said she was treated like a prisoner and that she had committed some crime. It's like the old saying, "No good deed goes unpunished."

I think I will go to the Bill Murray film this afternoon--St. Vincent. The weather here is ugly, so not a bad time to go to the movies.

Hi to Lori, Judy, and Josie!

we (here) will be hearing about this shooting for a long time to come. so sad that this type of shooting has become so common that it is hardly even a surprise anymore.

I agree that it might deter people from volunteering to go to Africa if they know there are restrictions on their return. I find it disturbing though, that the people who are as knowledgable as possible and appropriately geared up for prevention...and definitely strongly motivated to do things right.... that several now have come back with the disease in a latent state.... and they don't know how they were exposed. I agree with questioning and temperature checks, but it would seem some kind of home quarantine would be a reasonable idea, rather than having them out mingling freely in public places. maybe something step wise? I haven't done the math but it seems most people have gotten sick in way less than the 21 days. this is a hard one to call. we certainly don't want to make it harder on the health care workers but this is something that's better to prevent than play catch up afterwards.

did about a half hour on the elliptical yesterday and core 1. not a very intense day. my foot is better each day and is not uncomfortable walking anymore.

Good afternoon ladies!

Friday was SB stopwatch plank. Wow! That was a tough one. I then did cathe's live kickbox and barre without the barre. I am doing enough barre with SB's challenge. Saturday was SB lower body barre 2. Then swimming and biking. Today I managed to get in Cathe's live kickbox again before we left for home. Ride was nice however it was beautiful when we left the Cape and here it is just dreary!.

Valerie...I saw the shooting on the news. I immediatley thought of you. Then shortly after I saw a breaking news about sherifs in california were shot then there was a attack on 2 police men in NYC with a hachet!! The other day there was this teenager who killed his mother, father and sister becuause he owed a loan shark $3,000 and thought by killing them he would get some inheritance. What the heck is going on in this society? So very sad.

I do not know how I feel about quarentine. A part of me likes it then a part of me says wait...we can't be doing this!

Lynda...looking forward to your review of the movie. I like BarreAmped but favor the boot camp one a little more.

Deb...good job on the gym style workout. No house max for me even though I should but too tired from all the driving and I have decided just to sit and watch football with DH. Go Pats!!! :)

Have a great evening! Hi to Judy and Josie!!!

Lori thanks for thinking of me.... this one is really close to home, and especially sad and preventable. I don't think kids are any different these days except it seems more have ready access to firearms, and after Columbine, they've been shown the way to do it. guaranteed to be front and center on the news. I'm not real clear on the exact laws that would apply here since I don't have any children and if I did, they wouldn't own guns. this was done with a large caliber hand gun and I am not clear it would be legal for him to have this weapon.

everyone here is one step away... this is a prominent family in the marysville area. . . DH took care of many people with these last names.

there was a triple play kind of thing with 3 terrible events almost simultaneously. I admit I didn't know about the teenager/loan shark story but sometimes if it's not 'local" I don't read every sad story. and the further away the less likely the local paper carries it. I am not a religious person but I simply do not "get" what benefit there is to ending things like this. you kill ( or try) your friends, and then kill yourself? what is the upside here? I'm not really asking for an answer here but I just don't understand the thinking, or lack of it.

did a harder 30 ( faster, more resistance) on the elliptical and then a core 2 workout. it was different from the one I'd been calling core 2 and tougher. I have trouble with side planks , that's where my foot is sore.

Good morning,
It's Monday...again...I did a Cardio Coach this morning, even though I woke up every hour last night. At 4:00, I just said heck with it, I'm getting up.

Lynda, I don't go with the "prisoner treatment" that the nurse claims they did to her, but if she has any compassion or a sense of responsibility as a nurse, you would think that she would be happy to make sure she is ok before going out into public. Not like the other doctor. How was the movie?

Lori, nice little vacation!

Valerie, glad to hear your foot is better.

Hi to Josie & Judy,

Work, then late class tonight...I hope I can stay awake.

It figures officials would go overboard on the quarantine idea.... we can't throw these people in the equivalent of jail!. I think a home based period of confinement allowing family, close friends, with monitoring would be reasonable and would make things a lot less complicated if anyone else turns positive. with all these health care people traveling back and forth, there will likely be more positives. the doctor ranging widely in public made people reconsider I think, that health care people will automatically make the best choices.

think we will road ride today. it's dryer than the last few days although not sunny. we don't get many sunny days in winter. not too cold though so we will road ride as long as we can.

Deb, that is hard.. if I get up at 4, I would find it hard to work out. Strong work!.

This morning I did Jazzercise Dancin' Abs (58:00).

If you like Bill Murray, you will manage to get past the schmaltz in St. Vincent. If these were other actors, I don't think I would find the film very appealing. It gets pretty crowd-pleasing sentimental and there is also a totally implausible medical emergency. The little boy Oliver is really good and Bill Murray is Bill Murray. Overall, a B-.

I don't know, Deb. If I were asymptomatic and confined to a plastic bubble tent for a whole weekend after being chaotically handled by TSA agents at Newark airport for several hours who didn't know what they were doing, I would be really angry and feel bullied. She couldn't even take a shower.

Lori, I like BarreAmped Bootcamp a bit more than BarreAmped as well, but what pleases me is that they are different in terms of the exercises you do. My problem with P57 is that all of the workouts seemed to be the same. It looks like we will be having a couple very nice days of warmer weather.

Valerie, my experience with two teenaged boys is that they are impulsive and hormonally inclined to exercise bad judgment. They need a lot of sleep and a lot of close watching when they are awake--and a lot of physical activity and food to wear them out and build them up. They can also be a lot of fun, and they kept telling me I was lucky not to have daughters, whom they regarded as much more difficult to understand or cope with.

Good evening ladies!

Today is my rest day. Slept horribly last night.

Deb...good for you working out on a monday morning. Great job! Yes the mini vacation was really nice. We shopped, biked, swam and ate some wonderful seafood. It was my DS's bday on sunday so we celebrated with a little cake for him. He really appreciated it. Oh and we toured the Cape Cod Potato Chip Factory. If you knew me well you would know that I was in heaven surrounded by all those chips!!

Lynda...Yes I also agree about the BarreAmped DVD's. They are different which is nice. I liked Bill Murray in Groundhog Day and What About Bob and I think that is about it. Can't remember him in anything else that I liked!

I think the nurse was treated terriblly. I saw on the news she had an attorney which I do not blame her at all after how she was treated.

Valerie...hope you had a great ride!

Hi to Judy and Josie!!

I think the quarantine idea will get honed down to reasonable. agree, the nurse was treated badly, wrong place at the wrong time, after the doc came back and didn't live cautiously as you'd expect someone would do after his exposure. he saw what ebola can do! this is a virus and it can kill and spread quickly. civil rights need to take somewhat of a back seat to preventing this from getting established . we lucked out in dallas , but with people coming back and forth they need to be monitored. a virus is not something that can be reasoned with.... viruses will spread via the way they spread and don't care about social conventions.

we did a 25 mile ride today. pleasant, and not as cold as it seemed at first. the sun came out and we appreciated it. my yga studio has made their public announcement so it will all get sorted in the next couple weeks.

Good morning,

It's almost like summer outside right now. Very warm. I like it, except for the rain part.

Regarding the quarantine, troops coming back from any of the Ebola countries are being quarantined for 21 days. Huh. I wonder why they don't just let them come back and go out into the public doing whatever they please? They're not even health care workers.

Valerie, is your foot still improving?

Lynda, what is the age difference in your sons? Your "recipe" for raising them worked!

Lori, I have that same potato chip obsession, only mine is for Lays.

Hi to Judy, & Josie,

Take care,

We all have our food quirks, don't we? DH is in love with corn chips.... Costco organic ones. I cycle thru different things but right now low fat popcorn is my love. we pop a bag before we do a hike or ride, and when we get back it's in the car and believe me, it disappears. I got going with it on weight watchers, which I'm thinking about signing up with again. it's true that when you track your food and your exercise, you are more committed.
my foot is pretty normal now. still am supposed to wait a week before doing anything that stresses it too much, and then carefully so I can back off if it gets tender.
Got the definite news on the yoga move. yes, it's happening. I'm not happy because it will change my whole well routed shopping in addition to the class splitting/ moving. will have to see if I like the new place and if it's too far to drive so early in the morning. changes in mid november.

Deb, I had not heard that about the troops. depends on what they were doing exactly, in Africa. maybe with the military it's easier to quarantine everyone rather than separate out ones with close contacts. If they were involved with active ebola cases... like trucking out contaminated debris, then it may be warranted. if they were clerical or patrolling borders then probably not needed., but military tends to go with blanket kinds of policies.
off to yoga.

This morning I did XTrain ch, ba, sh (51:16).

Lori, I think my favorite Bill Murray film is Lost in Translation, but for laughs, Ghostbusters is probably the best (There's an unforgettable moment when his girlfriend, played by Sigourney Weaver, is possessed by a demon and she growls at him. He thinks it's sexy!). He's very funny in Caddyshack, too, and I absolutely loved him on SNL, especially his louche and smarmy lounge singer. Cape Cod chips are a bit too greasy for me, but when we went to the Jersey shore, we always had a bag of UTZ chips around. I also get a small popcorn whenever I go to the movies.

Interesting interview on NPR with someone who has written on past epidemics--the 1918 flu, Bubonic plague. He said that the term "quarantine" is from Italian and refers to the 40 days ships were not allowed to disembark in Venice during the Bubonic plague. He also said that in public health terms, "isolation" is what you do with someone who is sick, but quarantine is limited movement and contact--I guess like what happened to the contacts in Dallas.

Deb, enjoy the warm day because it sounds like it won't last for long. My sons are 32 and 30. They fought like animals when they were young, but are very close friends now. Love'em to bits!

Valerie, that's too bad about your yoga. How far away is she going?

Hi to Judy and Josie!

Lynda you & DH must have done a great job on your boys. they sound happy, successful, well adjusted. it is good they like each other besides.
You are the only person I know who liked Lost in Translation outside of critics . I liked it a lot and thought it was bill murray's best work. but.... I have been all alone with my opinion for a long time.

now all the squabbling has begun with how the shooting aftermath was handled..... mostly about which hospital they were taken to and how it was done, and how many helicopters were flying back and forth and not utilized. has to do with ages of victims, and what level trauma center they were taken to. sort of like how the lawsuits have started to emerge related to the disastrous mud slide back in march.

my yoga class is moving to about 20 miles away. existing class is only about 12 miles, but it's a road with schoolbuses & traffic lights ,whereas the new location is all freeway. the other half of the current teaching team is moving to a location maybe 5-7 minutes further than currently, but I have not taken classes with that instructor much. I dropped my "autopay" this morning and will go to a less fixed payment method until; I decide how this works. I guess the most annoying part of these changes is that currently I go to class, and then easily stop for groceries, bank, coffee, PO, pharmacy, hardware etc on the way home without driving 1 yard out of my way. this will cease when I drive to the new location as there is not much in between.

Hi Everyone,

We had a beautiful weekend, sunny and in the 60's. It was in the 70's yesterday and still in the 60's today. I think
the winter like weather will be starting up later this week, as the forecast is calling for highs in the 40's next weekend.

Yesterday I did Core Max workout 1 and Muscle Endurance. This morning I did a 1 hour Spinerval.

Deb-great job with the Monday morning workout! I did a lot of housemax this weekend too. I feel like I am finally starting to get caught up on all the things that I neglected the past couple of years that we were taking care of FIL's house and yard. I downloaded this book, "The Life-Changing Magic of Tidying Up: The Japanese Art of Decluttering and Organizing", and that got me motivated to work on decluttering the condo.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00KK0PICK/ref=oh_aui_d_detailpage_o00_?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I like the way she thinks and am trying to use a similar approach. It doesn't seem as overwhelming now that I have more time.

Valerie-so sad about the school shooting. It's very difficult to understand what prompts a young person to want to do something like that. From what I read, the shooter was a popular student, so that makes it even harder to understand.
I'm sorry about your yoga instructor moving.

Lynda-I agree about the quarantine situation. I think the TSA agents handled it badly, didn't know what they were doing, and were probably acting like she was a criminal. A quarantine like that should have been handled by the CDC. If I was young and considering volunteering overseas, I would probably reconsider after seeing that.

Lori-great job on the workouts! I am going to have to try the stopwatch plank. That sounds challenging!

Hi to Josie,

Judy

Good evening ladies!

This morning was SB cardio barre and tonight I felt like cathe's live kickboxing. Love all her live kickboxing. I think they are so much fun on top of a great workout.

Valerie...again so sad about that shooting. I heard this morning he invited them by text to sit at his lunch table then shot them. We never had to deal with this when we went to school. Stinks about your yoga moving 20 miles! That would be way to much for me. I have never worked out in a gym. Just never had the desire. Can't imagine driving 5 miles to one never mind 20! Hope your foot is still improving.

Lynda...believe it or not I have never seen any of those movies you listed. My DH can not believe I have never seen Ghostbusters. It's weird I go to the movies once in a while but that is about it. Hardly watch TV at home even having all the TV's that we have....if you remember a while back we discussed this. I will admit I will try and see a movie if it is a book I read. But with that said I have yet to see Gone Girl!

Judy...I so need help with organization. Our house is small and I owned it before my DH and I were married. Between his stuff and my stuff the house is crowded. We need to declutter. We have a room in the basement that is pretty much a catch all. Good luck finding anything down there!

Deb....my potato chip obsession is pretty much for any brand. If it is a potato chip I will eat it. If you can believe this I have potato chips pretty much every day. Could be first thing in the morning, lunch, or my favorite time is after work when I walk in the door. Most times I don't eat many but have been known to polish off a bag in one sitting. If you ask my DH and DS what do I eat everyday? They will most certainly answer potato chips! Funny story....when I was expecting my son I developed gestational diabetes. So I needed to cut starch and carbs which of course I did. The day I gave birth instead of flowers from my husband I asked for the biggest bag of Wise potato chips he could find along with a hot fudge sundae. Lol! And he did show up with both. The nurses thought it was hysterical.

Have a great night. hi to Josie!!

Good morning,
I got up at 3:45, did one of the shorter premixes from Gym Style Legs. Forgot how hard Cathe's leg workouts are compared to KCM. Yowza!

Valerie, I would be annoyed to if the change in yoga class location was that far, plus the shopping places you go to no longer on the way home. Are any of them staying in the old location? As for the military coming back and going into quarantine, they were not with sick patients, but will do as their told, because that is what they do. No complaining I bet.

Lynda, Bill Murray was really good in Moonrise Kingdom. That is the one that our friend's Wire Fox terrier was in. I agree with Valerie, you and your DH did a great job with your sons!

Judy, thanks for the link. Let us know what you think of it. I could use some de-cluttering around here.

Lori, no, I can't believe you have potato chips every day! With all the exercise you do, it probably doesn't matter. I am still on the fence on joining that Nourishing Guru session. I need to do something. LOL about your story after having your son....reminds me of my friend, when she had her first baby, ( 30 years ago), the first thing she asked for in the recovery room was a cigarette...and they gave it to her! That was when it was ok to smoke in hospitals. Seems so strange now.

Hi to Josie,

Nothing much here...work, home, etc etc...

Take care,

De cluttering should be my priority. we have a big house and therefore little pressure to thin things down. I don't have that much sitting around visible, but behind those closed doors... tons of outdated and unused stuff. if I buy a new "thing" I often keep the old one "just in case". Judy, that is a motivator. sometimes DH and I bring out the worst in each other..things I'd discard in a heart beat, he wants to hang on to, and vice versa. end result is too much crap.

Lori, my yoga instructor was straightforward about why they need to move. the rent at the current location is too high to support their client base. it's a lovely place, convenient location, but it is costing them too much. they were very clear that if their costs were lower, they'd stay, but it is not working financially. so change had to happen.

I like potato chips but seldom have them. only a few after a hike. there's one kind of Lays chips I like ( very picky here) and although I always have them here, it can take us a long time to get thru the bag.

I worked in a hospital for my first jobs, and yes we used to smoke everywhere! so funny.. I quit a long time ago, but people used to smoke in planes, movie theaters, stores, hospitals, restaurants, absolutely everywhere. how times have changed....and for the better.

This morning I did RK with 1 lb. gloves (55:16).

Valerie, that is disappointing that the yoga class is so far away. There was a wonderful boutique here that closed when the rent skyrocketed. Now it's a Subway. I really miss the boutique and have never been in the Subway. I hope your yoga instructor is successful at her new location and doesn't lose too many clients.

Ahh yes, decluttering! We finally cleaned out our sons' rooms last spring and sent each of them boxes of baseball cards and other assorted detritus from their younger days. There are a couple areas I need to clean up--my sewing room, and a chest of drawers with a ton of things about dead relatives.

Lori, I don't have any potato chips around, but we do have peanuts, and I will occasionally measure out a quarter cup as a salty snack.

Deb, I think Bill Murray is in a lot of Wes Anderson's films, starting with Mt. Rushmore. I rented Moonrise Kingdom from Netflix, and then I never watched it.

Hi Everyone,

Today was another Spinerval and more housemax. Looks like the nice weather is over. In the 50's today and dropping from here on. It might snow this weekend.

Lori, it's the same here, we have a very small condo, 1100 sq. feet. It was DH's before we got married.
Great job doing the SB workouts! I love Cathe's live classes!

Deb-you are really getting your workouts in early! You are on my old schedule! That's funny about someone asking for a cigarette in the recovery room. Yes, things have changed a lot. I remember the smoking section on my first flight.

Valerie-I do the same thing, when I get something new to replace something I keep the old one as a back up. DH grew up in a hoarding environment and it is hard for him to let go of some things. I do think that what he went through with his father has helped him to not want to hoard and he is getting better about it. I have never been a hoarder (although I feel like I am hoarding workout dvds now) but we are just running out of space and definitely need to start getting rid of things. I still have hopes of having a basement gym, but not sure when.

Lynda-I love peanuts too. DH likes potato chips but we don't usually have them around.

Hi to Josie!

Judy

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.