Pentagenarians & Beyond: W/B 10/23

Deb, have you ever read the Peoples Pharmacy? they have different ideas sometimes, and a lot of emphasis on home remedies especially for people trying to get off rx medicines. they seem to think coconut water helps with reflux. there are a number of comments plus input from everyday people. these ideas are usually not provable in a clinical study. I've tried a few things from their column and was not impressed, but as long as the meds are not 100% effective..maybe there is something here that will help. what have you got to lose? coconut water is everywhere. people try all kinds of approaches and some contradict each other.
https://www.peoplespharmacy.com/2016/06/13/can-you-conquer-heartburn-with-coconut-water/

Now things that might give me an upset stomach are greasy, spicy things, like sausage or pepperoni. Long ago I used to eat it sometimes and always burped it back up for hours. I could not get the flavor out of my mouth, even brushing my teeth. haven't eaten anything like that in decades.

we are too far away for an indoor antenna to work, tried and returned one. the roof antenna is way above our chimney, dialed into the angle where the broadcast towers are. we have a signal booster connected in between, and will add the new one for PBS ( different frequency) soon. we can't use dish either because we don't have a clear view to the southwest, where the satellite signal comes from. it didn't improve on Monday, but we did get one channel clearly.
yep, I have an ear worm. getting better slowly. no don't give me another song!

Lori she is absolutely adorable. no such thing as too many puppy pics.

Last edited:
Today's workout was Step Moves, 45 minutes 312 calorie. average heart rate was 144. That is all I am doing today. Maybe I will get the laundry and housework finished today.

Valerie, I just watched a Dr Axe Webinar yesterday and he was talking about foods for detoxing the body he said to drink coconut water. His detox was really just eating completely healthy for a short time . Avoiding toxins. Foods that help eliminate toxins, gluten free, and what to avoid. Also gut health. I used to use it all of the time but came to the conclusion it was a bit sweet and for some reason I just was not feeling any sweetness in my drinks. It is great for smoothies. Thanks for that link. I will be looking it over :)

Today I did RWH Circuit Upper Body. This is just the second time that I have done this workout, but I liked it quite a bit. I tried a RWH rotation when I first got the series, but it totally exhausted me.

Deb, do you have a list of low acid foods that you are selecting from or is it trial and error? I am starting to realize that I avoid many of the foods that some of you have mentioned as I get older. Chili, pizza with pepperoni, and ground beef are some of the foods that cause me discomfort.

Diane Sue, the Dr Axe webinar sounds similar to the NG's fall cleanse with a focus on really clean eating and avoiding the foods that are problematic for a wide variety of people like gluten and dairy. I like coconut water in smoothies but not as a beverage on its own.

Valerie, your outdoor projects are very strenuous. You are definitely getting your workouts!

Hi to Lynda, Judy, Josie, Lori, and Caitlin.

Good evening ladies...

This morning was heavy bag tabatas followed up with a quick heavy rope workout. At lunch we did the first Country Heat workout which was Country Swing. Only one of the ladies did not like it. She always wants to do the same workouts. Hoping she will eventually go with the flow.

GiGi is a cutie pie. She is doing so well with Nilla...providing we get her walks in twice a day to let some of her energy off. If we are unable to walk her due to weather she is off the wall. Very much like Chester with her energy. Must be a Lab trait!

Valerie...I hate when I have a ear worm. Drives me crazy! I'll try to get better posting more pictures. You must be exhausted after working outside. Cucumbers always stay with me all day.

Carolyn...I hear you on a RWH rotation. Same here! I was exhasted! I like Hiit or high impact workouts...just not every day. That is why I liked the jumpsport dvd. Was nice to see someone that was not young enough to be my daughter. I am really enjoying rebounding. I have downloaded from YouTube a few workouts that I plan to customize using my Ipad. I love making the perfect workout.

Diane Sue...I need to look into Dr. Axe. I have heard of him but know nothing about him. Very nice going back to Las Vegas every year. I have never been. One of these days I need to get there.

Deb...It's always good to lose weight but not that way. Hope the painter is feeling better to be able to get the job done soon!! How was the doggie halloween party? I bet it was hilarious!

Josie...sounds like you have been keeping up with your workouts. Astro was the name of the dog from the cartoon Jetsons? Or am I wrong? The aids ride will be here before you know it!

Lynda...now I can't wait to try out shock circuit. Have fun with your friend! Awesome you will be going to her gym...as you know I always workout while traveling!

Hi to Judy and Caitlin!

Hi Everyone,

I woke up yesterday with a bad cold. I don't feel that sick and I don't have a fever but I am coughing and sneezing. I've taken a couple of rest days and hope to get back to working out tomorrow.

Deb-The doggie halloween party sounds like fun! Did you get any photos?

Diane Sue-It's great that you are feeling better and working out again. The photo of Harvey & Mudd was adorable!

Carolyn-Thanks, the challenge was very motivating. I am an introvert too but I like online group challenges and activities. I get sinus headaches also. Eucalyptus oil does help.

Josie-Hope you have a great time in Las Vegas! Yes, I think the challenge would get me ready for the Aids lifecycle ride.

Lori-Gigi and Nilla are adorable! Keep the puppy pics coming! I am really looking forward to the advanced tower dvds too.

Lynda-Have a good trip!

Valerie-That sounds like a lot of work. Definitely counts as a workout.

Hi to Caitlin!

Judy

We did a little more on the wall this morning, but ran out of raw materials. DH went to get more gravel and blocks. we will end up using at least 150 blocks for this, probably more. plus, all the gravel as a base layer and back filling behind the bricks. I will not take the credit here, DH does WAY more than I do but I do heft these blocks , shovel gravel, and act as the gofer. 60 lbs is just on the edge of what I can manage.
later today I did a 36 minute spin premix from Ride, haven't done one since last spring, and core 1. supposed to be wet and windy tomorrow so will get more supplies for another step on the wall. we are trying to sing the Pink Floyd song to make it go easier.

Deb, I have no idea if there is any "credibility" to coconut water, but it seems popular and probably would not hurt to try. if it doesn't work, nothing lost.

diane sue, glad you are feeling good enough to work out again. would be good to ID what this was, especially to prevent it happening again, but getting better is most important.

I haven't eaten red meat in 30-40 years. never liked it, and it caused digestive issues for me. I love spicy/ heat... like Josie and her jalapenos... I love spice, heat, curry, chilies, you name it, but just not with meat.
Judy, sorry you have a head cold. I always get way sicker than I should with those, so I am fanatic about avoiding them.

Good morning,

No workout yesterday, I guess you could call it a rest day, although I have had more of them than not lately. Spent a good portion of the day at the dog club waiting for Verizon to fix the phone system. Then John and I went back and put in a new phone with a built in answering system.

Diane Sue, I hear you on pizza....but amazingly enough, John brought home a Little Caeser's last week and I ate on small slice. I took off the sausage, and it didn't really bother me. I think theirs has the least amount of sauce on it that any others.

Valerie, thanks for that link! I will try the coconut water and any other "home" remedy that may help. I hope you solve the antenna/channel issue. It sounds like you have all the info you need to get the right one to work. I was going to ask you what Pink Floyd song but I don't want to know! LOL.

Carolyn, I have been avoiding any acidic foods, no coffee, no tomatoes or anything with tomato base etc. I have not tried avoiding all gluten...it is hard because I can't get even 1000 calories a day with eating some bread products, hence the weight loss. I did look at lists of low acid foods, more that I look at the high acid list and avoid them. Maybe I should have done the NG Fall Cleanse.

Lori, definitely a Lab trait! I see lots of them in training at our club...yep, they have a lot of energy and need to burn it off some how or else! :). Maybe in the spring when she is a little older, you can start running outside with her. The dog costume parade was fun, I should have taken some pictures to post.

Judy, hope your cold is just minor and gets better quickly. Are you considering doing the Aids Life Cycle next year?

Not sure what workout today. Agility class tonight...

Take care,

I did some of the stretching from Barre Amped last night before bed. My lats and neck were sore. I guess maybe tension or too much time on the computerr.

Judy, I am sorry you have had a cold. I hope you are feeling much better. I have been fighting one the last two days.

Valerie, that sounds like a big job. I am sure it will be nice and rewarding when it is done. 60 pounds is a lot of weight to be moving repeatedly. That is funny that you are singing Pink Floyd.

Deb, you might try gluten free oats like Bob's Red Mill, tice, and purchase some gluten free bread. Ezekiel bread is usually pretty good. I have made sandwiches using Food For Life brown rice tortillas. My husband always gets thin crust pizza, light on the sauce, that makes it a bit better when I pull off the pepperoni.

Tee. Hee. Yes,we are sInging "The Wall" (..... just another brick in the wall....) It replaced my " Don't stop believing " ear worm although maybe I have competing ear worms now .

Deb I've never looked at a low acid diet so should look it up. I'd think rice, oats, quinoa, farro and corn based products would work if you are testing out if wheat is an issue .

Last edited:
Today's workout was Kelly Coffey Split Sessions Lower Body and bonus floor work, 45 minutes, 207 calories. It must e very long sice I have done this one because I really do not remember it. It as lots of work with the loop band as well as weights and hits he hamstrings and glutes pretty well. I then did Great Glutes disc, ball, and bonus chair with the stretch, 30 minutes, 120 calories. Total time75 minutes, 327 calories.

Valerie, I think I would worry about corn products unless they are organic. Corn is one of the worst gmo products. I always loved corn bread and grew up with my mom's love of mush with sorghum on it. Indian pudding is awesome too. I have had neither one in years. Two ear worms would soon eave me running around pulling my hair screaming. LOL.

Last edited:
Agree, you need to be aware most corn now is gmo. if it says 'organic" I'm not sure that means it's not gmo. soy products also, I buy non gmo. but then, I make my own rules. too much rice can cause problems because of it's arsenic levels. so I focus on not too much of any one thing, great variety. plus I love dairy. would never ever give it up, unless of course, it was making me sick. a meat based diet made me sick. I now supplement with a little chicken and fish, but that's it.

I am also proud to say I completed my ballot today and for me it's all over. mailing it today. Done! we had a very long complicated list of issues to vote on so DH and I worked thru it yesterday.

Today I did a JS 30 Minute Pyramid Power Walk followed by 20 minutes of Gentle Yoga.

Deb, the foods to avoid from the NG's fall cleanse included the following: eggs, dairy products, gluten (wheat, barley, oats, unless gluten free), soy, processed grains and corn, processed foods, sodas, sweetners, sugar alcohols, nitrates, and potatoes, except sweet potatoes.

I plan to vote early later this week. We also have some state-wide issues to vote on. In fact one was discussed on public radio's This American Life last week. Act 2 , Judges with Grudges is a Georgia issue.

Greetings to everyone.

I hope that I am in the right place. My new Rykas came today, and I used them for kickboxing. I am still on a Kindle tablet so I have trouble typing

O

Valerie, I have no idea why I called you Theresa. I have not talked to a Theresa in a very long time and happened to see her on Words with Friends. I guess it stuck in my head or something.
Organic is supposed to be free of GMO. But, there are loop holes, like corn starch that may have been used in a product or the casings used on sausages may have some GMO in them. There are certain items USDA allows and they may have some GMO in them and they may not. I believe if label says 100% organic no gmo then you are safe. I do not see many products with that label though. I think white rice is supposed to have less arsenic than brown. I love dairy too and still enjoy some grass fed butter, ghee, organic sour cream, and organic half and half. The half and half is the only thing I use every day and that is because I put it in my coffee. Occasionally I will use a little grass fed cheese. I use grass fed organic kefir and yogurt once in awhile. So many additives and sweeteners are considered generally safe, but are not meant to be consumed by the huge amounts a lot of people eat. You are wise to switch it up and not too much of one thing.
Good for you getting your out already. I think I will just go mid morning on election day. That is what I did for the primary election. It was not crowded at all. My husband works that day so he will have to go early or later.

Carolyn, that looks like a lot of the lists of don't eat foods I have seen. We have a lot of issues to vote on here too. One for a sales tax hike for schools. I swear they have put out stuff so many times to get money for the schools and saying it is earmarked for the schools. It always ends up somewhere else and comes with loopholes. We need teachers badly. They have way to many superintendents and district leaders they are paying. There are other ways to get money. I have seen the deceit too many times. Then something with the farmers. I have to read up on because both sides on television sound good. Then the against sounds bad. Hmm. Wine sales allowed in grocers. I could care less.

Good evening ladies...

This morning was a rebounder workout. It is a compliation of jumpsport workouts I found on youtube. There were different sections of jumping then strength. I downloaded, then using my ipad edited and created a nice under 30 minute workout. Calories burnt was 255. Not bad for a shorter workout. I have been using my Apple watch for HR since my upgrade. Should compare with my Polar to see if any difference. At lunch we did 21 day barre legs.

Judy...sorry that you have that cold and hoping you are spinning soon!

Deb...yes I agree Labs have so much energy. They need their exercise! Gigi is the sweetest after her walks. :). Working at a place where our #1 carry out is brick oven pizza, I have plenty of it. We are always having food brought in to the office. Our closest restaurant is only minutes away. Most of the time I scrape off the toppings and toss the crust to keep the carbs down. I do indulge from time to time though. Hard not to.

Valerie...wow that is a long time without meat! My favorite meal is a juicy steak! My son for the last few months has given up red meat. When he first mentioned he was I did notbthink it would last long but he has stuck with it. I am now singing The Wall!!! We are thinking about voting early tomorrow. I like they have this option.

Caitlin...I had Rykas for a time and liked them alot but always go back to rebok. They just fit me perfectly.

Dianne Sue...you have really opened my eyes about the foods we eat. Seems like you are still doing well with your workouts.

Hi to Josie and Lynda!

Good morning,

A bad day yesterday, no workout, no class. Felt horrible. Not sure what kicks off a day like that....the painter is better, he started the repair work in the hall and up the stairs and the hall upstairs.

Diane Sue, thanks, I do have Bob Mill's steel cut oats which are supposed to be gluten free, so I will start having those for breakfast. Maybe I will stop a health food store and see if they have that bread.

Valerie, sometimes I get radio commercial songs as ear worms and it drives me nuts!

Caitlin, you are in the right place. We start a new thread every Sunday. Did you get a new high step?

Carolyn, thanks for the info...that list of foods is the same one they use for the Mega Energy program.

Lori, Yes, "a tired puppy is a good puppy"...that's is what we always say! I am amazed at what you can do with your iPad....never knew you could edit an existing workout!

Not sure what is on tap for today, except I need to go to the paint store and have my favorite colorist (Joe) mix a paint for the dining room and possibly the hall and upstairs. I want to match the color that is already in the dining room, but have no idea what it is. The painter took a couple squares of the wall and Joe has a way to match it and mix the paint.

Take care,

Deb...hope today is a better day. Yes ipads are wonderful to edit downloads. All you need is the app Imovie and make sure your video to edit is in your photos. Amazing what I have created. If there is something I do not like...it gets cut!

that list is why I skipped the NG to begin with. If you add meat to the list of foods you avoid, it's extremely limiting. I eat a lot of fruit and vegies as it is. I have this "gift" of a twisted tortuous colon. when I eat meat, everything grinds to a halt. that is probably TMI already... so I won't elaborate. when I grew up, I realize how abnormal I was. I need a+ lot of complex carbs, beans, lentils along with fruit and vegies.

do DH dropped the ipad yesterday and cracked a corner. I keep it in a case, he takes it out. maybe he will listen to me now. still works OK and doesn't cross the visible part of the screen. not sure if we need to do anything. anyone know what the process is? I assume apple will fix at fairly significant cost.

had another event yesterday when someone drove into our development who did not belong. I was right behind them but this time I followed from a distance after going into our driveway, and changing my mind. went after them, got their plate and stopped behind them to ask "if they were lost". they gave me a BS story about a broken lug nut. I took a pic of them ... being obvious about it ... from a reasonable distance. they parked right in front of a friends home so I drove up their driveway, alerted them, and called 911 with the plate number. they were of course gone when I came back down the driveway. so much for a broken lug nut. it was 2 women in a junker car. saw a sheriffs car drive by later so no idea if they were caught. I can't wait to get a entrance gate. meanwhile I will be proactive from now on. not risking my life but not ignoring this kind of stuff either.

Deb hope you feel better too. I like steel cut oats but like the regular oats better. I was thinking oats were recommended on a low acid diet. matching paint is so hard.... colors look different in different light. just getting close is all you can expect. King Arthur has all kinds of GF baking products. many stores carry their products and they have premixes you can bake yourself. Have you been tested for celiac disease? I believe it's now recognized that some people react to gluten even if they aren't celiac. you don't want to limit your diet in ways that you don't need to and that may not help. I'll put in a KA link in case you aren't familiar with them. I
http://www.kingarthurflour.com/shop-home/index.html?go=Home

Deb, I am so sorry that you had a really bad day. It is hard to understand what causes it. I was just reading something on acid reflux yesterday. You might be interested in this. Here is a link http://balancedbites.com/acid-reflux-what-causes-it/

I am back from my lymph node biopsy. It was really like some sort of torture. First off I think they hit a nerve when numbing me. I nearly flew off the table when it felt like electric shock in my shoulder. They did 5 of what felt like punches. One that she wanted to get deeper, I think the 3rd time, I felt in the back of my neck and they had to numb some more. Before this point I was already almost ready to pass out and pouring sweat. They put cool rags on my head. I was lying down so passing out I guess would not have been too bad. Anyway, no working out today. They don't even want me to go to the store and pick up things. Just rest. My daughter took me through Starbucks and got me a mocha latte and a Panini sandwich. They had said to eat as soon as I get home and take some Tylenol.. I can already feel some pain coming. My neck is swollen. I was so glad that my daughter was there. Bless her heart and I feel for her first patient because she left my house at 10:10 and the first appointment was at 10:15. She won't be real late but I would say it is a good 20-25 minute drive for her to work. That and fog was bad this morning for visibility.

I will check back in awhile. Think I need to lie down. I was awake at 4 am today.

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.