Pentagenarians & Beyond: W/B 10/11

This morning I only had time for a very short cardio workout. I was working on something and had forgotten that this was WW meeting day. I did JS 15 Minute Fat Blaster from the 30 Day Plan. My average heart rate was 135 and maximum heart rate was 146. My electricity flickered briefly 15 minutes into the meeting and knocked me off of the Zoom meeting. It was somewhat frustrating to have such a mixed up morning.

Cathy, nice job with Live Low Impact HiiT and Live Total Body Band and Glide. Lean Legs and Abs is a favorite lower body workout for me too.

Valerie, that’s great that you had an enjoyable hike in the park. Roundabouts have become very popular here all of a sudden. Last year I drove home from an appointment using a road that I hadn’t been on for about 2 years. I went through 5 roundabouts on that 15 mile drive that had all been recently added.

Lori, that’s a good rebounder kickboxing workout. I meant to watch a few minutes, but ended up watching the entire workout. It looks like it would be fun and effective.

Diane Sue, I’m sorry that you missed your workout yesterday. I’ve had a few days like that. Hopefully today is better.

Hello to Deb and Judy.

one big reason we don't like to travel with two bikes on a back hitch is if you have any car issues, like a flat tire, it doesn't make it easy to access things in the back of the car. unloading the car to access the jack would be a huge PITA. we got duplicates of bike accessories too, like helmets, and gloves, packs. we ride enough that forgetting anything is really inconvenient so best to have a second set at each end.

another hike today, bunsen peak. way busier than we liked but still a nice destination. pretty high , about 8900 feet but a nice trail. extremely cold and windy but still fun. about 4 hours RT but we didnt hurry and stopped quite a few times.

a double round about? I don't know what that is. it's hard to know where the turn off you need is, but if you just continue around you get chance after chance!. Ive been surprised when I knew where I was going but didn't recognize the actual street name.
taking tomorrow off we think at this point.

enjoy the trip Lori. Ive gotten pretty good at keeping myself busy while DH is driving and it makes the time pass quickly.

This morning I did Flex Train which was 60 minutes with 276 calories burned. My average heart rate was 113 and maximum heart rate was 154. This is a good total body workout that I often overlook. It’s not part of a series which might be why I don’t think of it.

Hello to everyone and have a wonderful day.

Good morning. taking the day off hiking, and will do an upper workout when DH is finished with rowing. hiking tomorrow if weather is ok. snowing on and off today.

carolyn flex train is a nice one. I agree easy to overlook single workouts when there's a series sitting on top of the pile. I'm going to try pyramid pump shortly. I think I brought all I need for that one and I have loads of time today. we had an appt with a local person to install some security cameras here. we have a small camera now but it would help us to have better visualization of our driveway so we can get the driveway cleared if needed before coming in the winter. we added more snow fence this year too but have to wait see how well it works.

Yesterday I did Cathe live express your step, 44 minutes 180 calories, heart rate 111/141,3209 steps.
Today I did Coffey Fit Raw step and legs, 45 minutes, heart rate 125/159, 231 calories, 3,780 steps. I followed this with Raw Body Fit doing the warm up, 1 round of the 10 moves, and cool down stretch, 18 minutes, heart rate 125/161, 90 calories, 1,282 steps. I love step and legs, it is just such a fun workout and the music is fun stuff and older stuff.
I used 2 lb sand weights and 15's for step and legs. Kelly uses egg weights for this one and 15s. I did use 20# dumbbells for the first squat move, but then Kelly does side to side stuff and it is just kind of uncomfortable wit 20# Bowflex weights.
TOTAL was 63 minutes, 321 calories, 5,062 steps today.
I have landscapers that will be here. We are having the back leveled, so the water doesn't run off and out the back fence into the street, and sod laid. Also getting our front planter made smaller so when I open my car door I have to be careful of hitting my car door on the brick planter. Then they will put junipers in it and get rid of the rock and put down cedar mulch. It will look a lot better. I will be back hanging outside with Gertie on leash again.
Fall break for the grandchildren so I took the opportunity to go to Walmart today. It was a quick reminder of why I don't like to go to Walmart. You would think earlier on a Thursday they would not be so busy. Not only do you not find an empty aisle, but you are dodging workers filling pick up orders. This was just the Walmart Market. Planning family dinner for Sunday and wanted to get stuff for tacos and make a large salad. I picked up two boxes of rice mix and when I got to the register they were not the same rice mix so I left the one I did not want. One will not be enough for 17 people. I will see what the girls want to bring.

Lori, Cathe posted clips the total gym workouts she did for the Total Gym streaming service when she did it. That and one of my friends husband was showing me his and it looked like it would be fun and a good workout. He had the top of the line one. Boxing bounce workouts are fun to do. I wondered if someone could replace that foam padding if they had to. I just do not want it to get worse. I looks kind of like the foam they put around the pipes for air unit insulation outside. Probably a bit different though.

Cathy, I have multiple tubing strengths. I have noticed that band and tubing gets used interchangeably by fitness instructors. A lot of the time I would rather use the bands. I am not sure what round a bouts are. I just know I never liked those circle roads that has different streets running off from it. There was one in California downtown area that I hated because if there was traffic and you managed to get on the inside lane, getting across traffic and able to turn on the proper street was difficult. They don't sound pleasant to me and I am the type that would spend the extra time even if it was out of the way to avoid it. My grandson loves playing and lying on my rebounder while he watches television. It is getting kind of warn. I have had it quite a few years.

Valerie, it is always weird to think it is snowing there when the weather is warm here. It has been beautiful. We could use more rain though. September into October there is usually more rain. nice work on the hike yesterday.
Carolyn, it is unpleasant having things turn into a whole unexpected turn of events. Sorry you had problems with zoom after starting it. I guess the teacher was having problems with zoom yesterday when we could not get on. Then my day was turned around when I quit my workout earlier than planned, as I wanted to add on some lower yesterday, because they said they were having zoom science with another class at 12:30. Then when I got all put together I try to get on and the teacher has left a message saying sorry there was an error it is 1:00. I wish I could figure out why I cannot get zoom on all of my devices to work for my grandson's clever account. I set up his google so I go into his google and they have a zoom link you click to get on. It only works on his school tablet. I did find I was able to get on to the library one though as I had to open zoom and put in the meeting number and password. Otherwise, they just give a click the link. I will probably figure it out about the time they get to go back to the classroom.

I did pyramid pump yesterday and it went pretty well. I don't have a weight bench here. the ball I have needed air. then we got too much air in it and I couldn't lean on it without it scooting across the room etc etc. I had time and got thru PP with about 20 interruptions, and did the ab workout too. I didn't bring my worksheets along so guessed what I did last time. I'm a little sore this morning so must have been close.

I know round -abouts have big benefits. keep traffic moving, and avoiding long lines at lights, and T bone crashes where someone runs a light. still they require some getting used to. I find I know where I want to go but don't always recognize the street names on the exits from the circle. like everything else, there's a learning curve.
it takes a little brain adjustment to snow. its an issue right now. still WA has a much milder climate and I didn't bring enough warm clothes this time, since 2 weeks ago it was shorts and short sleeves. almost all my pants for hiking or riding are black, they all look the same and I didn't bring what I thought I did. have one pair of wind block tights that are getting a lot of use this visit.

This morning I did Step Sync, combos 1 and 2, which was 33 minutes and 244 calories burned. My average heart rate was 132 and maximum heart rate was 165. I followed that with Step Boss Chair Stretch for an additional 16 minutes.

Valerie, nice job getting Pyramid Pump done despite the interruptions. I see the benefit of the roundabouts, but we went from never having heard of them to encountering them everywhere. It’s a learning experience for drivers here.

Diane Sue, great job with Live Express Your Step and Raw Step and Legs. I’m sure that both you and your grandson can appreciate this fall break.

Hello to Judy, Cathy, Lori, and Deb.

Really not amused. I had typed my whole post and Safari kicked me out. :mad: Bad Safari.

Yesterday I shopped and Whole Foods was out of a lot more stuff than usual. Was weird.

Today I did Kick, Punch and Crunch which is always a good workout.

Carolyn I forget about Flex Train, too. I always wondered why Cathe never put those videos into a series, same with the other times she released multiple workouts together and never named them. The groups released cover enough areas to be a series. Step Sync is always fun!

Valerie great job on Pyramid Pump! Was snowing today in the UP though not where my sons are at. Pics are pretty, but it's too soon.

Diane Sue really good workouts you did! Hope things went well with the landscapers. We are into natural here. The birds have planted about 98% of our backyard and in 23 years we have a lot of trees and thickets now.

That's all shorter than I originally typed, but I have to go do something else now.

I did get in a good workout today despite, changes in my day and having to mess with youtube and getting charged for a gaming subscription my grandson happened to purchase. Found that the restricted you tube was no longer on restricted. Someone is messing with my youtube settings. He should not have been able to make a purchase without my authorization either. I did some more cleaning, fixed my floppy kitchen sink handle. It just needed me to get an Allen wrench to do it. Ordered the rest of what I need for Sunday from Whole Foods. Ordered Amy's refried beans and they were expensive since I ordered 4 cans. I just hope they do not have chunks of onions or something in them as some of the family including my husband will not eat them. Neither will I as I won't eat the beans. I read ingredients and they sound like traditional refried beans with healthier oil added to it. I was hoping my girls would let me know what they were bringing, but that often happens the day before the event and I don't have time to run to the store. Will make cookies tomorrow when my order comes. I guess the landscaper had some reason to go out of town and it will be sometime this next week. And I will be doing school and walking the dog I guess. Ought to be a challenge again.
I did Coffey Fit Raw Shadow Boxing #1 and loved it. It was 42 minutes, 219 calories, heart rate 126/162 (which I am surprised at since I started out with my heart rate at 59) and 3,676 steps. This is not impact and just boxing with egg weights or dumbbells. Kelly uses 2# egg weights and slows it down a bit for form with the weights. She does do some ducks, side steps, and movement while boxing. No kicks. The music was good on this one as well. Since my neck and shoulders were not spasmed or anything from this(which I was worried about) I went ahead and did Walk Strong 3 Barre Sculpt 31 minutes, 59 calories, heart rate 86/128, using 2 and 5 # dumbbells and a non weighted ball, 648 steps. Total time was 73 minutes, 278 calories. 4,324 steps.

Valerie, sorry that you got there without some warmer clothes. I think it is cooling off here. I turned the fan off when I went to bed last night and when I got up I was considering whether a cup of hot coffee would warm me or I needed to put on a hoodie or something. I hate to start that too soon. We have had some winds and leaves are blowing all over. I went out the last two days and swept, since I hate having it end up in front of the door and come inside right after I clean. It was back again this morning.
I get interruptions through most of my workouts and they end up logging in at longer than they actually should have been. My husband's cell phone is downstairs, but he has it as loud as it will go and every time someone calls it or messages it sits there and bings till I open it and check it out. I monitor, as I do not want to wake him for something unnecessary. I paid for extra call protect plus, but he allows one thing on his because he may get calls from people in his contacts. Somehow even though we have political blocked he gets tons of that kind of stuff and others. It is annoying when I am working out and it is that sort of thing.
I only allow contacts. If I have a service that I am working with at the time, I add them to my contacts list. So, I get very few of those calls.

Carolyn, you know I did not really care for the Chair Stretch the first time I did it. Then it just grew on me. It really is a nice, but relaxing stretch and I have done it a lot. I use some of the moves when I am just sitting in the mornings with my Bible propped up on my stand reading. So, I read and stretch at the same time :). Nice work today. I am enjoying having some peace. I need to think about how I can get out a few times in the near future though. I need to go get a flu shot, but usually like to wait till the end of October or early November. I plan on going out to vote and guess I will leave my two grandchildren here. My husband will be here, just sleeping if there is something serious. She is almost 13, she can handle her 6 year old brother for awhile.

Cathy, I do hate when I type out a whole post and it disappears on me. Sorry that that happened. When I come back it is usually the condensed version and everyone doesn't have to deal with my long post:p.
Saturday my Whole Foods order was missing quite a lot of stuff. I hope I get everything I ordered this time. It is really hard to get back out to the store again. I already suffered through Walmart yesterday. Note to self, stay away from Walmart. Why are there so many people there shopping in the Market on a weekday? Plus my husband gave me another mask that is not quite as heavy as the one I usually wear that I had purchased for allergies a few years ago. I put it on and it slid down my face on way into the store so I had to switch on the way in. He got them from his work. I need to sew those straps up I guess. Mine allergen one has two elastic bands that go around the head, not the ears and is lined.
We have a small back yard and the trees are on the other side of the back fence. From there I get pecans and acorns dropping all over. Those things are a mess to clean up. The leaf vacuum does not pick up those and the rakes take forever bouncing over the top of them. They sprout little trees all over. There are trees all around us, one of the neighbors drops seedlings that point into the ground and sprout quickly if you don't clean them up. I get trees grow in my flower pots. The people that lived here before us put in a big brick planter between the two driveways (ours and our neighbors) it was gull of morning glories and he had a bird bath sitting in the middle on top of a tree stump. It looked ridiculous. We got that out and my grandson dug out the stump. We pulled the morning glories out every winter when they died off and they came back like weeds every year. You only enjoy the flower in the early morning. We finally killed it off, and filled in with rock planning to add some sort of evergreen.
We couldn't just let things go here. I try to plant grass seed every year till this year. I gave up. I worked hard on loosening the top soil and working the seed in last year when I was having the major pain and shoulder problems. Just did not want to do that this year. But, it is a mess as our dog has to hope over the water to find a spot in the river when it is flowing in the back yard from rain. I put stepping stones out there so I could avoid the mudd. She does not like stepping in the water. She is not your normal lab.

diane sue I'm doing OK with the clothes I brought,but need to do the wash more often. I have windblock tights that work for mt biking and hiking. turns out I like them better than the normal winter pants. I could kick myself for not looking closer. all my winter biking and hiking clothes are black. bike clothes, even the summer ones are almost exclusively black. wake up call to do a better job packing. easy to make mistakes when everything is the same color. a lot of the trails are "horsey" so mud has some degree of manure mixed in.

I hate that when I lose a post after typing it. I usually hit a button wrong and gone. I think two step verification might be part of the issue too.

I did Live Circuit Works Plus Barre and Core this morning. Good overall workout, though she does those darn sit up/pushup combo things during core. She does 5 I do 4! :D It's 53 minutes, ave bpm was 121 and I burned 210 calories. It moves fast.

Diane Sue great that you got in a workout when you didn't think you would. Hope it wasn't too big of a hassle getting the unapproved video purchase dealt with. I had an experience once with Xbox that left me spending tons of time digging through their site and finally finding a way to talk to a real person to get something cancelled. That was a misunderstanding though and not really Nick's fault. When he did an initial purchase, he and I didn't realize it was set up as a renewal and not one time. Once I got it taken care of I removed my card from the account. He's been on his own for stuff for a few years now and that it just dandy.

Valerie I really need to look into getting some wind block tights. Have you considered just keeping clothes both places?

I decided to take a rest day today. I was dreading the workout that was scheduled for today, Circuit Blast, then I didn’t want to do anything that I considered. That was my cue to take a day off. I made a quick trip to the grocery store this morning, something I try not to do on a Saturday. My husband decided to eat salads with his lunch this week which caused me to run out of salad greens. Since he never wants salad, I only buy what I will eat during the week. That didn’t work this week.

Diane Sue, that’s great that you got a good workout yesterday. I need to look at the Barre Sculpt again. I don’t remember that one.

Cathy, nice job with Live Circuit Works plus Core. Cathe does like those sit ups/pushups combinations!

Hello to Valerie, Judy, Lori, and Deb. Have a wonderful day everyone.

Today I did Cathe Lite Cardio Party, 43 minutes 223 calories, heart rate 124/164, 4075 steps. I then did Cathe
Live Iron Legs, 43 minutes, 116 calories, heart rate 98/138, 1,146 steps. Total time was 86 minutes, calories burned 339, 5,221 steps.

Cathe Live # 318 October 1, 2020 Iron Legs 42 minutes
6 inch high step, weights 10,12,15,20,25# dumbbells, loop band
warm up 5 minutes
no weight forward leaning lunge
loop angled tap back then side to side steps
Squats 20#dumbbells 16 reps 2nd set 25# 16 reps
elevated lunges 15# dumbbells 16 reps and 7 pulses
Deadlift 25# dumbbells 12 reps 3 and 1 count second set 8 reps
using step crossback lunges 12# dbs 12 reps and then 15 pulses repeat other leg
uneven pulse squat 12# dbs
front/back lunge 10# dbs 10 reps right then repeat on left
side to side squat pulses using loop band and 15# dumbbell 10 reps
calf pumps 3 sets 24 reps I used 15# dumbbells not sure what Cathe was using
close grip sumo squat 20# dumbbells 10 reps second set 25# dumbbells 10 reps
side to side pick up lunges 12# dumbbells 4 reps starting on right then 4 reps starting on left
reverse lunge to stiff legged deadlift 20# dumbbells right then second set left 10 reps
push dips with high step 12# dumbbells 12 reps right 2nd set is left
body weight mat hip dip/clam 20 reps right then 20 reps left (I think I got the count right)
Pizza press with band 40 reps each side
stretch

Valerie, I choose blacks and greys in most of my fitness clothing anymore. It saves needing to color match. Not that under usual circumstances anyone sees me, but you never know. I used to buy different colors. If I want color I can put on a colored tank or t shirt. At least you have the tights with you.

Cathe, I am not fond of those sit up push up combos. I also do not like the superman with the step riser as reaching out holding the riser really stresses my upper back and neck. I just so it with my arms to my sides and no riser. I had to fill out a request on Google for the youtube purchase as an accidental unapproved purchase. So, I will see. Fortunately when I checked out the subscription it was just for the month of October ending November 14th. I did see that they have recurring purchases, but fortunately he did not accidentally push that. I knew when I got an email from paypal showing the purchase. I unsubscribed to the gamer site and made sure all of my settings were right as it should have required authorization and also for some reason the restricted setting was taken off in settings. Wondering now if that was the almost 13 year old as she has a youtube channel where she puts memes with music. Anyway, I sometimes have a real distaste for all of these apps and trying to keep up with things the pull.

Carolyn, it sounds like you need a break. Isn't Circuit Blast the one where Cathe jumps over the step and uses a med ball in part of it? I remember I rarely wanted to do it. I try my best not to go shopping on Saturdays and have tried to find ways to make it less stressful since I have grandchildren week days. That is the only reason I have been getting Whole Foods deliveries. I did not want to go back out for those last needs for tomorrow. It ends up I got stuff to make chocolate chip cookies, but my daughter volunteered bringing a dessert. I will put the stuff away for another day. My husband sometimes will decide to change his diet and I am having to make quick changes which requires store trips. I think he is starting to get rid of his sandwiches at work. I don't have to worry about him and salad. He would never touch a salad. I had shredded iceburg lettuce delivered today for tacos so I won't need to chop that up. I always end up with some left and just mix it into my other salads. I am not a fan of iceburg lettuce though.

Cathy.....I keep clothes at each house but I don’t have duplicates Of everything. I think I left my hiking pants in the camper, location #3! Didn’t realize until we got here and couldn’t find them lurking in with all the other black pants.

Wind block tights are sort of hard to find. I have two pair but one has a broken ankle zip so is “back up” mainly. I’ll look for another pair this year. We can usually ride all year in WA but riding is close to finished for the year in MT. Snowed a lot this morning when we did grocery shopping probably 4 inches. Not everywhere though.
I have favorite things that go back and forth (hat gloves, jacket , rain pants, ten essentials) in my day pack. I have boots and poles, socks, undies, jeans, shirts and sweaters. Delivery is not fast so I seldom mail order here.

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.