Pentagenarians & Beyond, W/B 1/28

Today I did Fit Split Cardio Shred only timesaver, heart rate average 132, max 155, 208 calories (Polar)steps, 2,577. I followed this with Ice Low Impact Sweat Blizzard Blast, 10 minutes, 75 calories, average heart rate 139, max 156, 991 steps. I then did the Fit Split Bonus abs, 13 minutes, 69 calories, 173 steps. Total time was 52 minutes, 358 total calories. I used the Fit Bit as well today. Of course it was lower on the calories and a bit lower on the heart rate, but not much. I guess I should be happy my heart rate doesn't run that high. It is supposed to be healthier, but I like to see something for all the work I put in :)

Valerie, even if the devices give a scrap of paper, you have to go online to get the manual or other information. I would bet it would be the same with the television. It is all to save cost and paper I would imagine. I had to look up the 3D Sony TV I have in my exercise room and have not idea if my Dad had a manual or not. It has a whole typing key pad on one side of the remote which I have not used. I have a cousin that posted that article on Facebook. She used to be in the military. I would think any devices with wifi, Bluetooth, and location services could be located. My husband said they are required to shut those things completely off and ignorant for someone to have them out there. I get am rather obsessive with my stats on my workouts. My husband thinks it is rather funny.

Carolyn, I am going to try to do the rotation as laid out. I am not looking forward to a second day of Shred tomorrow though. Ab wasn't so bad two days in a row. I think I am getting used to it. It is still hard though. I do not like the piston plank move. I could understand not wanting to switch watches when you are using yours with WW. I did the Push and Pull together premix the week before I started the rotation. It was not bad doing them both together.

My DH also said that the military should have known better about the tracking info on those kind of devices. I would not have thought of it. It was funny to see the maps. talk about an open invitation to location based data for people who should not have access to it. I have become quite the news junkie.

some appliances still come with manuals, like washers, dryers, refrigerators, ranges. they are bigger than previously because now in many languages. the TV was pretty much all by itself unless I missed something in the packing.

we did a mt bike today, 2 hrs. it was supposed to clear off, but it started raining hard about 3/4 of the way through the ride. right in the most open clear cut area!. it was windy and 39 degrees but we were working hard and our clothes worked well. we have helmets and helmet covers, and the hoodie shirt I love so much. fairly comfy, but muddy and dirty.

Good evening ladies,

This morning was xtrain legs. When the series first came out I was fresh off of STS. When I did Xtrain Legs for the first time I did not like it at all. Where were the heavy weights I thought? I have not done it since. Today I figured why not and I liked it. Since doing Barre I am familiar and like high rep workouts. Glad I decided to give it a try. 50 mins / 285 cal. Tonight was a couple of Bellicon Bounces 34 mins / 255 cal.

Deb...I usually like weights first too. I have been doing the rotation as is but my choice would be weights first. Coming from someone that has 8 TV’s (used to be 9 when I had my space in the basement) I find it funny you only have one! That is why I edit my videos. I will not chance hurting myself and I hate seeing a move I no longer do! So out of sight out of mind! :D I feel I work out enough so missing a move here and there really does not matter in the grand scheme of things.

Diane Sue...I don’t blame you for not wanting an apple watch since moving away from apple products. I love Apple and it works for us. But it is not for everybody. You too are doing awesome with the FS workouts!

Valerie...I am looking forward to one of the Burn Set workouts. Not sure if they are in the rotation I am doing. Will need to look. Hope so. I just looked and no Burn Sets are on the rotation. Oh well. Unbelievable about the Fitbits!!! I saw this on the news. Glad you were comfy with all that rain. You guys are prepared for everything.

Carolyn...Apple watch does connect with the WW App. My steps and workouts show up under the activity. I take the calories and HR with a grain of salt with these devices. I know they are not completely accurate but it motivates me so that is a good thing!

Have a great night all!!

Good morning,

No workout yesterday.

Diane Sue, I have accepted that the FitBit has limitations. I like it for the sleep function, the step measurement, floors and the goal of moving each hour. I have it set to measure 10 hours.

Valerie, whenever I watch a TV show on our old laptop, the commercials are really loud, and I have to always turn the volume down, then back up again when the show comes back on. That info on the fitness monitors showing the location of the military is really scary! I hope they stop issuing them.

Carolyn, I feel the same about the cardio in FS....I like them individually ( maybe except for Shred Cardio), but not attached to the weight workouts.

Diane Sue, I like the idea of the timesaver premix for Shred Cardio, I have to remember to use that one.
I don't do Apple either, except the iPad, which I really love.

Lori, isn't it funny how we can hate a workout, then years later pull it out and really like it? I remember buying Slow & Heavy in VHS, and hating it. I sold it on Ebay, then years later when I was really into heavy weights, I bought it again on DVD and really loved it.

Take care,

when you look at pics of military bases, you have to stop and wonder.... what were they thinking. Now to get everyone to turn off their fitness trackers. We haven't had the volume problem on our TV for a long time. Its a plasma that is at least 15 yo so if we had to adjust any settings, I don't remember anymore. Lori that is one heck of a lot of TV's!

Not feeling too sharp again today. DH went off to try to xc ski but I feel headachy. not sick.... but not right... so I skipped going. feel more like going back to bed than anything.

I never sold my older DVDs, even ones I didn't use. I'm now re- looking, especially if they have pre mixes. for unclear reasons,it took me a Iong time to look at premixes or bonuses. I started looking closer after we got the spin bike and realized that a shorter pre mix was a better option than stopping in the middle of a workout if I didn't have enough time or energy to do the whole thing. I find I prefer cardio first, and then weight if I am combining the two.
I remember Cathe on Fitness TV, a long gone channel from cable days. the show would appear at unpredictable days and times so I never could use it to work out but it introduced her to me.

Today was Cardio Shred again and I used 1 riser this time. It was so much easier after yesterday. This was 29 minutes, 191 calories, heart rate average 141, max 174, 2,665 steps. This was odd as I compared it to yesterday(one reason for separating this from push) and my heart rate was lower using two risers, less steps, and higher heart rate for Fit Bit yesterday. There was an update yesterday for Fit Bit and my sleep stages did not show up today. This is a weekly thing lately. I then did the push workout 32 minutes, and used a met value of 4.5 175 calories as Fit Bit is always over half as many calories at 81. Map My Fitness said 193, and Cathe has a 7 met value. I figured 4.5 met was a safe calorie burn. Total time 61 minutes, 366 steps.
Weights
Bench Press 20# dbs x 10,8,8 reps superset with chest flys 15# dbs 10,8,8 reps
Knee tap push ups bodyweight 10,8 reps
plyo push ups 20 reps (10 wide 10 close)
alternating close grip bench press 20# x 16 , 12,8 reps superset with lying extension 35# barbell 10, 8,8 reps
dips 35# barbell 32 reps
shoulder press 30# barbell 10,8,8 reps superset with goal post 15# dbs 10,12#dbs 8,8 reps
front squat 40# barbell 12,12,12 reps superset with high tight ( I used the fit tower instead of the step) 64 reps at 4 sets of 16 reps of lower and shallow
calf raises 20# dbs 48 reps

Valerie, I hope you aren't coming down with something serious. My granddaughter and daughter have both been sick, but still going. My granddaughter had to be there for her cheer team yesterday with 101 fever. She is of the pyramid holding thing cheer leaders do. I remember Fit TV. A lot of the time it was not full workouts. I really do enjoy the Pre-mixes on workouts. It works out when I want to combine different workouts or skip something I do not like. Sometimes it is just convenient when pressed for time.

Deb, Fit Bit does have some nice functions and it would be hard for me to give those up. I manage with calories, okay with adjustments. Today my Fit Bit and Map My Fitness stayed within 5 calories of each other. That happens more often with cardio. I thought that I would not want any other tablet than an ipad, but I really do love my Galaxy Note 12 tablet. I don't think I would go back to the ipad. There were some adjustments, but it is easy to use.

Lori, I tried to push a bit heavier on X Train for legs. I really felt that the legs workout seemed a bit light and easy. Then the cardio legs just seemed like a cardio weight circuit to me. I see you do get something out of the cardio. The premixes are nice to make it what you want it to be on those. That is too bad no Burn Sets are in the rotation. Maybe you will just have to throw some in when you are done. I like those better than the other upper workouts.

Today I did Fit Split Low Impact Cardio only for 28 minutes and 195 calories burned. My average heart rate was 129 and maximum heart rate 151. I worked out later in the morning at 11:30 which is rare for me. I didn’t feel like getting up earlier to workout before going out.

Deb, I kept the cardio first in this rotation because I was still trying to lose the last 2 pounds for the goal I had set for myself. I have read that your goal helps to determine which you do first, weights or cardio. I have lost 3.5 pounds this month so I think it worked for me. I also feel like my body responded to the change in my workout format.

Lori, now that I know that about the Apple Watch I might look at it again. I haven’t done so since the initial release and it didn’t work with WW then. X Train Legs is a nice workout. I recommended X Train to someone just this morning.

Valerie, I hope you feel better after resting today. We have several older televisions too. It’s actually hard to get rid of them because nobody wants to recycle the older models. They all work and my husband thinks that we need them “just in case”.

Diane Sue, I’m trying to stick with the rotation as written too for the reasons that I mentioned above. This last week is harder because I’m ready for more variety. I might try your strategy of taking parts of different workouts.

Judy, I hope you’re having a relaxing day with your massage.

Hi to Janet and Melanie.

Judy, I kind of thought my husband and I may have had the flu when we felt so bad and weak for about 3 weeks. I told my daughter it felt like the flu without quite all the aches and fever. We both had the flu shots and they say it can make this strain less severe even if it is not the right flu shot for this year.

Valerie, did you get the flu shot? For some reason I thought that you did. There are so many viruses going around.

Carolyn, nice calorie burn for the Low Impact today. I am thinking I may do it twice using Lori's version. I can't believe how much easier Shred was today after doing it yesterday with two risers and no modifications. I was really having to push myself to get started. I am ready for something different. When I did Kelly's Build and Burn I added to it and it went fast. This one has some dread factor and is so intense that I have not felt like adding much to it. I usually do cardio first because then my muscles are warmed up well before I hit the weights. I know it should have the body revved up into fat burning mode for when you hit the weights which generally have the heart rate in the fat burning mode as well. The metabolism is working overtime by then. Nice job on the weight loss.

I'm here... just feeling a little under the weather, like I might be coming down with a head cold. Tired, throat a little scratchy, headache. Haven't had a cold in years now, so past due. I got my flu shot in October... I get it every year without fail... but I'm pretty sure nothing like that. just enough to make me snuggle down in a blanket and take a nap. I took an anti histamine and some zinc lozenges and fell asleep for a while. taking the day off for sure. I have been fortunate to dodge colds with this strategy before. not always but sometimes.

Carolyn totally right on the TV..we have the old sony that still works but it's not a flat screen and can't even leave it at Goodwill. The dump might be the only place we can take it. congrats on reaching ( exceeding?) your goal.

Good evening ladies,

This morning was FS low impact followed up with metabolic conditioning. I really like the core work in the metabolic workout. Only a few moves but felt they are so effective. I finished up with a quick BBS bounce. Total time was 53 mins / 339 cal. Tonight I did a couple of Bellicon Bounces for 30 mins / 246 cal.

Deb...too funny I bought slow and heavy when it came out and I have yet to do it!! I need to do it so I can at least say I did!

Valerie...until I started buying the downloads I never looked at premixes other than the original BootCamp workout from The Intensity series. I always chose the premix with no abs. :p Other than this I always did the workouts as is. Hoping you feel better tomorrow. :( we have this large projection TV in the basement. It works fine just huge and old. Have no idea what to do with it. When my workout room was downstairs it pretty much was my TV stand for a newer flat screen!

Diane Sue ...1 riser was perfect for me with cardio shred too. I did use a little heavier weights in xtrain legs than what Cathe chose. I felt I could do more so I went with it. I have been enjoying the rotation I am doing and glad I selected this one.

Carolyn...congrats on the weightloss! So far I have adjusted well with cardio first. I have my annual physical on tuesday and will be the first time I have been weighed in like 8 months. I decided last year to go by how my clothes fit instead of the number on the scale. Looking at the WW app for yesterday it shows my steps and my 2 workouts. For today it only shows my morning workout. It must sync later in the evening.

Have a great night all!!!!!

Lori, nice work today. I agree, there is some nice core work as part of FS metabolic conditioning. Yes, 1 riser is plenty for Shred. I have tried both more than once and 1 works best for me. That is funny that you have never done Slow and Heavy. I do not have a workout that I have not done. I will go through them soon after they arrive as possible. I may not pick them up again much afterward though :) One like that is Mindy Mylrea's Tabata Trek. I have done it maybe, 5 times. It is tough. I like it for the lack of equipment boredom that it presents, but it is tough!!

Good morning,

No workout yesterday....looks like I am taking a rest "week".

Valerie, I hope you are not coming down with a flu and feel better soon. I remember Fit TV too! I could never get schedule down either. Premixes are so convenient, and Cathe does them the best. It's like having more workouts.

Diane Sue, that's strange that you actually got a better workout with Shred using 1 riser. Maybe you were not as "careful" because of the lower step and put more into it. Did you ever do Beach Body Piyo? I saw the infomercial when we were away. ( probably watched more TV is those 2 days than we have in the last 5 years)...it looked kind of interesting...

Carolyn, great job on the weight loss. You have figured out what your body needs and that's the goal.

Lori, I completely "get" not doing workouts, but feeling compelled to purchase. Especially Cathe. Slow & Heavy is really intense weight work.

Judy, how was the massage?

Take care,

Hi Everyone,

Tuesday I did STS Squat Rack Legs and yesterday I did Barlates Drop Sets Upper Body, Chest & Triceps. This is the first time I've tried this series and I really liked it. I think I'll stay with this for upper body and sts squat rack legs for lower body for the next week or so,until I decide what rotations I want to do for February and March. I'm planning on doing a round of STS starting in April.

Deb-The massage was nice. I scheduled another one for next Friday, then I will try to get them once a month. Taking a rest week is a good thing to do. I need to do that more often.

Lori-I need to revisit Slow & Heavy. I also have a few workouts that I haven't done yet. I have a list of them and am trying to work my way through. I'm going to do your version of Low Impact/Metabolic Conditioning again this weekend. I really like it!

Valerie-I hope you feel better. Chris has been feeling much better but he still has sinus congestion. He's been taking claritin d for the past few days and it's helping. There is so much going around this year. I've been carrying hand sanitizer with me and using it before and after I go into any place where there are other people.

Diane Sue-I got the flu shot in October too. I think it helps. I did seem to pick up a lot more things when I was working at the health food store and so many sick people would be coming in during flu season. I got the flu the first year I was there, 2008, and I was sick for a couple of weeks. I started getting the flu shots in 2009 and I haven't been that kind of sick since then.

Carolyn-Congratulations on the weight loss!

Hi to Janet & Melanie!

Judy

ps-I was going through old photos and I found a couple of Chino when he was a kitten. I thought I'd share them. He was so little and cute!

Attachments

• photo 5.JPG
    photo 5.JPG
    45 KB · Views: 6
  • Chino2.JPG
    Chino2.JPG
    44.4 KB · Views: 6
Deb, I think I did do the jumping on and off the step a bit faster and those straddle jumps because I wasn't concentrating so much on trying to get higher and keeping knees over feet where they should be. I have Piyo. I have n0t used it in quite some time. It is a pretty good workout series. I have the extra dvds as well. It is lower keyed and I don't get much of a burn with it. The workouts are not long. I think that is the set with a 20 minute low impact turbo fire on it that I have used quite a bit. No weights in these. The bonus abs workout is pretty tough. Lots of plank work. Lower body is pretty much like a lot of yoga that is movement. The abs are good. The cardio ones do get your heart rate up some. I reserve them for lighter workouts or add on. I like the extras with the gliding discs. I think that is where I got my blue gliding discs. I have 3 pair of them now. I purchased the purple original gliding discs when doing Amy Bento years ago. I like that no matter what Chalene does she is motivational. Maybe I should do a Piyo and bounce rotation of sorts :) I am thinking over what I would like to do next :)

Judy, I wouldn't mind doing another STS, but I am going to have to get some more weight plates. I gave my husband my 25# plates and purchased him two more 10's when I got him his weight bench for Christmas. I also gave him my 15# bar. So, I need more weight plates for upstairs. I think I have enough to take my 5# bar up pretty high at around 80#, but that requires a lot of smaller plates and loading and unloading. Although I don't know if I would go that heavy again. When I first started doing STS I had my deadlifts up to 110 lbs. I just don't think my back can take that anymore. Nice workouts so far this week. Chino is so cute. I always loved watching cats play :)

I am back among the living this morning. I went to bed early, slept over 10 hours. this morning headache, sore throat, and the irritated nose/throat feel of an cold coming on are gone. I will get in a weight workout today, but skip cardio. Not sure what it was, but I've had success with taking an antihistamine (judy.. Claritin D.).. took one yesterday morning, some zinc melts, and basically hibernating for the day and night. usually I take some vitamin c too, but my supply was badly outdated. Maybe it was just an off day, but I sure felt bad yesterday am. so glad I didn't go skiing with DH. He didn't go too far. always risky driving off the grid like that with only one person. nobody to help if there's any sort of problem. I follow him with the iPhone until he turns it off (no signal) but I know where he is and could get help.
Kitty pics are adorable. I sure miss Puss.

I never bought the slow and heavy series. I didn't get serious about weights until STS and used that. didn't like the long waits between exercises was it Meso 3?
Deb, I agree with your idea about the risers. when I have 2 risers , I'm more cautious about catching a toe & tripping so I slow down a little. I've enjoyed the full size step a lot. use it regularly. I have arthritis in my wrists and hands. using the bench avoids getting totally flat on the ground for push ups. same way with the weight bench. I can grab the floor supports and do push ups off them. maybe 2 inches high changing the wrist angle helps although it doesn't make the push up much easier. it's helped move forward from knee pushups.

I got the idea of mixing workouts from all of you. I used to think I had to commit to a full workout whatever I chose, but I like doing a shorter cardio and a shorter weight workout often using the premixes I ignored for years.

I used to watch Fit TV while I was on the treadmill or elliptical. they would change the schedule all the time. you could turn on what you hoped was Cathe, and get something else. I couldn'ot stand a few of the people. Gilad, with all the skinny models in sync. Sharon someone. one program with 2 men, 2 women who did weights Rick and Kenny super or special K? I don't remember the womens names. it was better than watching cooking shows. Our cable was like Springsteen said, 57 channels and nothing on. they would switch times and shows so you never knew what to expect and one day I turned it on and it was all gone and something else substituted.

Today I did Fit Split Boxing Bootcamp and Legs and Glutes. My total time was 1 hour with 370 calories burned. Average heart rate was 121 and maximum heart rate 152.

I reached my goal weight several months ago but I had this number in my mind that I wanted to reach. That was the personal goal that I achieved this month. These days I am more concerned with my overall health than how I look. However, it’s nice to go down a size in clothes and to feel like a fit person.

Lori, I never looked at premixes unless Cathe included them in a rotation. I spend more time exploring my dvds now. I have done Slow and Heavy a few times because it was on a rotation :). If I don’t want to do the current month’s rotation, I look back through Cathe’s previous ones until I find one that appeals to me.

Judy, great workout!

Valerie, I felt the same way about some of the shows on Fit TV and Exercise TV. I could never make myself do a Gilad workout.

Waving hello to Deb, Diane Sue, and Janet.

Today's workout was Fit Split Mixed Impact Cardio mix cardio only, 29 minutes, 192 calories, heart rate 137 average, 164 max, 2,668 steps. I then did the Pull only mix 42 minutes, 219 calories, 114 average heart rate, 170? max, 1,044 steps ?, the steps and high heart rate end seemed off. Total time was 71 minutes, 411 calories.
Fit Split Split Pull weights
one arm rows 30# x 12, 10,10 reps
pull overs on stability ball 15# dbs x 8,6,6 reps done slow
overhand row with 15# dumbbells and med loop x 10,10,10 reps
Deadlifts 50# barbell x 10, 10 reps
upright row 35# barbell 10,8,8 reps superset with rear delt flys 12# dbs x 10,8,8 reps
lateral raise 8# dbs 10,8,8 reps superset with external rotation 5# dbs x 10,6,6 reps
giant set-
barbell curls 35# 10,8,6 reps
w curls 12#,12#,12# dumbbells 10,8,6 reps
sweeper curls 15# dbs 10,8,6 reps
Hamstring roll ins with stability ball approximately 86 reps
regular 16,16, toes turned out 16, 4 count lift 10?, roll in pulse 7 4 times

Valerie, that is great that you are feeling better. I used to use my perfect push up stands. Sometimes I will used some dumbbells or now the Fit tower on low when doing push ups to give my wrists a break. I know when Cathe says they will get stronger after awhile, I think no way, not with arthritis, that is never happening. I used to do my own weight workouts and watch some of those fitness shows. When I used to run on the treadmill I watched cooking shows. Some of those were okay and some, I just did not like. If I stayed at a slower pace, I would read, but could not concentrate while running.

Good evening ladies,

Poor little Nilla was not feeling well this morning so wanted to give her extra love. I did do the scheduled Chest Back and shoulders but only a premix of rounds 1 thru 6. That is all I had time for. Tonight I did a few of Bellicon Bounces for 43 mins.

Diane Sue...Shred Cardio is up for tomorrow along with FS Bonus abs. Will be subbing in FT core work for sure. I bought Slow and Heavy when I really wasn’t doing any weights. I always bought whatever Cathe put out thinking some day. Once I fell in love with weights there seems to be so many workouts to do. Perhaps I should make it a point to do a rotation of some sort after the rotation I am doing. I think I just made a plan!

Deb...speaking of workouts owned and never doing...Plyo is one of them! I received this set from a friend and there it waits for me to do it. Sometimes you just need to take a break. Nothing wrong with that.

Judy...when I had my barbell I did Squat Rack legs a couple of times and liked the workout. I like Linda Woolridge too. Very down to earth and no nonsense workouts. How many times have you done STS? Chino was adorable! Hard to remember our animals so young. Very cute. :)

Valerie...wow 10 hours. You must have needed it. Hope you are feeling better soon. I love mixing and stringing workouts together. I love the variety! It has been a while since I have used 2 risers for cardio. I have never watched FitTv!

Carolyn...again congrats on your personal goal. You always do great with Cathe’s rotations.

Have a great night all!!!!!!

I'm doing a 30 day trial of streaming on udaya.com and today I tried Gentle Yoga by Travis Eliot. I really liked it. I felt like I got a good stretch and it was relaxing too. I also did Walk Strong 3 1 Mile of Motivation and Add on Abs.

Lori-I'm sorry that Nilla didn't feel well this morning :( I hope she is feeling better now. I've only done the full STS program once.

Valerie-I'm glad you are feeling better. Are you thinking about getting another kitty?

Diane Sue- 110 is really good for dead lifts. With my low back issues I'm not sure I could ever get that high. I did 45 lbs this week and it felt pretty good, so I could probably go a little higher. It is fun to watch cats play.

Carolyn-I think you mentioned that you have the Ultimate Yogi series. After doing Gentle Yoga today, I think I may end up putting that series on my wish list for next Christmas or my birthday.

Reactions: WD

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.