Pentagenarians & Beyond: W/B 1/14/2024

Thank you for starting the thread Carolyn. We lost our power twice in the last few days and this is my first time online since Friday. I'll post more later.

This morning I did STS Disk 13 to start Meso 2. This afternoon I've done two rounds of shoveling. Derek is out now. About 3/4's done, just the area closest to the road left. That will have some pretty heavy stuff thanks to the plow. It's all heavy though as it got a nice crust to it. Sun has been out most of the day, but it's so cold that it doesn't help as much as usual. We've managed to get all the way up to 5 with a -10 windchill. Was -20 when I got up. We aren't going above freezing for over a week.

Carolyn sorry your meeting was so challenging. Nice job with the yoga.

Diane Sue great job with CDorner Burning Biceps and Triceps, Raw TBTS Sculpt: Box and Tone and the stretch and mobility workouts.

Sorry to hear you lost your power Judy.

Hope your temps are better today Valerie.

We got very cold again and had another near miss with freezing pipes. 9 degrees. our kitchen has two sections of outside wall for water to the sink, and it froze or was very close to freezing. we got out a space heater and a fan to blow the warm air into the cabinet and it started flowing ok in a couple hours. way too close for comfort. most of the plumbing is protected but one section is not and is inaccessible. cant get to it to wrap it or anything simple. we are looking at getting it rerouted since this is not the first time we had a close call. leaving cabinet doors open is not good enough. judy sorry you lost power. cathy sorry you need to shovel nasty heavy snow in subzero temps. so far we havent gotten snow but this will kill a lot of outdoor plants that usually overwinter. usually if we get this cold we've gotten snow first to cover them but not this time our hummingbirds are still hanging out and doing ok.

we are done with the worst of it, and its up to 29 degrees now so I'm going to go walk outside. decided yesterday was my day off. walked for 40 min uphill and down.

Last edited:
Just finished doing a workout I put together and really need to rename as I called it Low Impact Step. Has the warmup from Intensity, which is one of my favorite warmups, but then the low impact floor hiit, followed by the bonus step from Low Impact Circuit and the second step segment from SJP. I skipped the stretch, and went to STS 2 Mat Yoga, using the time it took me to set up for a cool down. We were at -6 when I woke up this morning. Nick, who was at the farthest hospital he works at last night, said there was a little snow so he was shortening his drive with the toll road. ie. the bill will come here, since the car is registered to DH. They had a crazy night. He had to wait in his car as the police weren't letting anyone in when he got there, a girl with a warrant had come in, and when she heard from family that police were coming, committed suicide in a bathroom. Staff was unaware of the warrant, etc. Then the had a fire in which someone was killed, and the treated other family members for smoke inhalation. Then middle of the night a guy tripped out on meth comes in and runs through the ED ripping out his IV. He said it was the craziest night he's ever had. Staff was all fine.

Valerie you are warming up far more than we are as 8 will be our high. At least we may see some sun again. I'm just glad Derek was here to help shovel as my husband should NOT be shoveling, and it would have taken me much longer on my own. It's the first time all winter we've had to shovel, so overall we've done well in that area.

Hi to Carolyn, Judy and Diane Sue.

This morning I did LiTE Cardio Party which was 39 minutes and 283 calories burned. My average heart rate was 133 and maximum heart rate was 156.

Cathy, great job with STS disc 13, your blender step workout, and STS 2 Mat Yoga. That was an unbelievable night that Nick had at work! One serious event after another.

Valerie, I’m glad that the temperature is looking better there. Our freezing weather with some precipitation is coming in today.

Hello to Diane Sue and Judy.

cathy, the michigan version of cabin fever? crazy!! luckily staff is ok. health care has to absorb the worst of the crazy behavior.

we froze hard again, in the teens. hasn't been above freezing for days now. this is very unusual for here. should be moderating now into tomorrow but then we might get some rain/snow mix that will liven things up badly. I would not want to be a plumber or HVAC person here for the next few weeks. we are prepared and careful so if our pipes were freezing it has to be happening commonly. damn builders should not build with exposed pipes in outside walls.
streamed "Killers of the flower moon" last two nights. yes this was a terrible thing that happened to the Osage at rhe hands of white males. does not mean this is an enjoyable movie! its 3.5 hours long and it feels like it. so far batting zero . those are my feelings about award "winners" so far.

Today I did CDorner Hiit Style Step that was filmed a year ago and put up today, 22 minutes, heart rate 131/149, 1,385 steps, 123 calories. I then did CDorner Full Body Strength at Home from today, 54 minutes, 184 calories, heart rate 113/159. I finished with CDorner Day 8 Full Body Post workout stretch, 14 minutes, 24 calories. In this one she holds the stretches for 30 seconds. Total time was 90 minutes, 331 calories, 2,226 steps. One minute on the weights seemed long and it was harder to do heavy weight.
It is freezing outside. It got up to 14 not counting wind today. I will be back to read your posts. This is going to be a busy week for me. Lots to do.

Cathy, nice work yesterday on STS disc 13 meso 2 and today's Low Impact mix that you put together. That sounds like a good mix. Snow shoveling is a workout by itself. All of that hospital activity does not sound good at all. The sun came out today, but temps did not go up much. I think tomorrow we will be better. I stayed in all weekend. When I got up yesterday and looked outside there was a bird hopping around on the patio and snowflakes coming down. It was so windy and cold.

Carolyn, nice work with the Sunday yoga and today's Lite Cardio Party. I think we are good for a few days as far as precipitation. Maybe a something this weekend. My ladies group changed the get together twice now so we are doing it Thursday this week hopefully.

Valerie, we have HVAC and it worries me after my PT told about one of the recent cold spells freezing pipes in his attic and thawing and dumping water. He wrapped the pipes once he knew which ones. I think most pipes are not on outside walls. Even our sprinkler system cut off and pipes are in the closet in the garage where the tankless hot water heater is. We had a house once that every time it would freeze the drain pipe to the washing machine froze and consequently it overflowed when we washed clothes. We finally wrapped a pipe coming out that side of the house and put a drop light under a box to keep it warm when the weather got below freezing.

Judy, I hope your power stays on. Stay warm.

Just finished STS Disk 14 (Legs) and Step Boss Lying Stretch. It's been pretty cold in Fort Worth, Nick got a taste of winter with single digit temps and some snow. Of course, they will be warming back up more than us. Though next week we could see 40, and rain. Can't have 40 and sunny. LOL At least we are sunny again today. I had planned to go to my parents tomorrow, but I so just want to hibernate. I have no excuse though and I need to get a tire rotation. Nick got us the Barbie movie for Christmas. He and Derek have both seen it, Nick at the theater. He actually dressed as Ken from the roller blading scene for Halloween! :D It was both quite good and very weird.

Carolyn nice job with LiTE Cardio Party. I hope your cold weather doesn't cause you any problems.

Valerie I hope your weather improves fairly soon so you can out again.

Diane Sue great job with CDorner Hiit Style Step, CDorner Full Body Strength at Home and stretch.

Hi Judy.

in climates that arent usually cold, builders don't pay a lot of attention to water pipes it seems. we wrapped insulation around obvious ones, along the wall in unheated garage and to the outside faucets. Our kitchen is the exception where the pipes run along an outside wall for probably 10 feet. we cant access it without tearing out a wall. we opened the cabinet doors under the sink to let warm room air in, but it was cold enough long enough that we had to keep water dripping all night to prevent freeze up. the rest of the pipes are protected but the whole system doesn't need to freeze to cause issues, just a couple inches will do it. there are no exposed pipes in MT. our builder covered all the possible cold exposure spots and didnt put pipes on outside walls. its routinely below zero there. still below freezing here today but it will warm during the day and then we will get rain late maybe freezing rain. Blech! we plan to be home before that happens. what a nasty stretch for so many people.

cathy I have hopes for Barbie. havent seen it yet.

attics are usually not insulated but usually contain insulation for the living areas below. any pipes there would need to be wrapped with insulation, just like in an unheated garage. expensive lesson to learn.

Today I did Total Body Barbell. My time was 57 minutes with 188 calories burned. My average heart rate was 107 and maximum heart rate was 139. I used both dumbbells and the barbell. I don’t use the barbell for anything that requires it going on my shoulders or for biceps.

Valerie, I have been put off by the length of both Oppenheimer and Killers of the Flower Moon. I saw the Barbie movie and actually enjoyed it. I was pleasantly surprise. My youngest saw it in a theater shortly after it came out and she thought it was good. I would like to see The Holdovers with Paul Giamatti.

Diane Sue, great job with CDorner HiiT Style Step, Full Body Strength, and Stretch. We are very cold, but only had rain, no frozen precipitation. It stayed slightly north and west of us.

Cathy, great job with STS disc 14 and SB Lying Stretch. I agree with you on the Barbie movie, it was strange but good.

Hello to Judy.

yesterday I did 20 on the spin bike, and 15 on the elliptical. this morning 20 on the bike and 30 on the treadmill.

carolyn we broke flower moon into 2 nights. there is a lot of very relevant historical material in the movie. the Osage and the Tulsa massacre in about 1922, but its just too long and slow. maybe there are folks who like that but I'm not one of them. DH was not thrilled either. Oppenheimer was also long but the back and forth time sequences were hard to follow. the actual parts about the bomb itself were good but a lot of it diverged into the communism scare. there was nobody to like in either movie. seems to be a factor for me. I thought I'd like both but didnt. I like paul giamatti too and hopefully less hyped movies will be more watchable. also saw the May December one and even though it was a sort of "local" story I didnt care for it either. so Im on a losing stretch here! saw Nyad and liked it a lot.

Yesterday I did 45 minutes of easy-moderate rowing and today I did a 45 minute Peloton ride and 10 minutes of Arms & Light Weights. The weekend was pretty rough with the power outages and extreme cold. Our power went out around 5 pm on Friday. It came back early Saturday but went out again Saturday night for several hours.

Carolyn-Great job with yoga/mobility, LiTE Cardio Party, and Total Body Barbell. I want to do Total Body Barbell later this week.

Cathy-You definitely got more snow than we did, but we got more than I expected. That really sounds like a crazy night at the hospital for Nick.
Great job with STS Disk 13, the blender workout, Mat Yoga, STS Disk 14, Step Boss Lying Stretch and all the snow shoveling.

Valerie-Great job with the spin bike, elliptical and treadmill.

Diane Sue-Great job with CDorner Hiit Style Step, Full Body Strength and Day 8 Full Body Post workout stretch.

Today I did Raw High:Low Cardio 2 for 12 minutes, and then went on to Step Boxing, 43 minutes for both, heart rate 142/169, 257 calories, 3,431 steps. I finished with CDorner 30 minute mobility flow stopping at relax part since I was running out of time, 22 minutes, 43 calories. Total time was 65 minutes, 300 calories, 3,527 steps. I am hoping to get in something tomorrow if I can get up early enough as I have the gas guy coming out. Maybe a timesaver will work. I do not remember doing the High:Low Cardio before. I should look in my notes. I just did not want to spend so much time on my hands today. It ends up that today's mobility was on hands. It was her latest. More movement from down dog to other moves and yogi squat.

Just finished doing Live Cardio Crush. I found it really kept my heart rate up. First section is pretty much low impact floor, then a section with the fire walker loop and there were a portions where she used the mat and resistance tube for markers (I don't.) Followed that with P30 Extended Stretch. Still cold here, but sunny. Opted not to go to my parents today like I'd planned. My Dad said their streets are still bad, our road still has drifted areas, and a lot of schools are still road. Just checked the traffic map and west side of the state still has a lot of road issues. A lot of plows out over that way. I have to go shopping tomorrow and really not excited about it. I'll be getting a new phone, last month it's been slowly having more issues and the last few days have been crazy with the weird stuff it's doing. Not what I prefer to spend money on.

Diane Sue great job with Raw High:Low Cardio 2, Step Boxing and mobility.

Carolyn nice job with Total Body Barbell.

Judy great job with the Peloton workouts. Winter power outages are horrible. Ours pop up as memories on my FB page regularly. We've had several that lasted for days in Nov/Dec. Thankfully not for years though. It seems like the greater Detroit area has a lot of winter outages.

Valerie nice job with the bike, elliptical and treadmill workouts.

bad weather today, with rain after the freezing for 5-6 days. might have been freezing rain but all surfaces are cold so it froze as it fell. some slop now but also probably sick spots but I dont need to go anywhere. would like to exercise this morning but DH had a dentist appt and I cant turn on any of the machines. spin bike is ok. why do they put the switches basically under the base section of treadmills and ellipticals? never thought about it until recently when I need DH to turn them on/off for me.
I'm watching some college lectures that I'm enjoying a lot. most of us probably didn't learn about plate tectonics in school since the information wasn't available until the 70's. probably took a while to work its way down to Grade/high school levels. I have no idea how its taught today. not hard to understand and it makes how the planet works so much more understandable. I always wondered how come it looked like all the land masses looked like they would fit together. I remember it getting brought up in grade school by another student and having him shut down by the teacher. just look at south america and africa and north america and how if they floated freely, the edges fit together. or madagascar to africa or saudi arabia against egypt. there is so much more.
if on on a treadmill, elliptical or bike its very watchable. did 30 on the spin bike and 15 on treadmill.

Last edited:
Today I did JS Stride and Step. That was 30 minutes with 190 calories burned. My average heart rate was 124 and maximum heart rate was 141. It’s very cold today with temperatures in teens and single digit wind chill. Definitely a day for staying indoors.

Valerie, great job with the bike, elliptical, and treadmill. Your course sounds interesting.

Judy, great job with rowing, Peleton ride, and arms with light weights. Total Body Barbell is a high rep workout, something I didn’t realize ahead of time. It was a good workout.

Diane Sue, great job with Raw Hi-Low cardio, Step Boxing, and CDorner Mobility flow.

Cathy, great job with Live Cardio Crush and P 30 Extended Stretch. Good luck with getting a new phone. I hate going through that process.

Today I did a 45 minute Peloton ride, 15 minutes of Peloton Core, and 30 minutes of Yin Yoga.

Diane Sue-Great job with Raw High:Low Cardio 2, Step Boxing and CDorner Mobility.

Cathy-Great job with Live Cardio Crush and P30 Extended Stretch. Yes, we have had several winter power outages since 2017. That was the first bad one and it seems like they are happening every winter now. Last February and March we had 3 separate outages. It is getting quite frustrating. We have accepted this as the new normal with DTE as it appears that it is more cost effective for them to pay linemen to fix outages than it would be to maintain and/or improve the infrastructure of the power grid.

Valerie-I’m sorry about your bad weather too. Freezing rain is horrible. I enjoy watching programs while exercising too.

Carolyn-Great job with JS Stride and Step. I really like Total Body Barbell. It is higher rep and has more of a cardio factor than I had expected.

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.