Pentagenarians & Beyond: W/B 09/25/2022

Good morning ladies! Wow been so long! Glad to see our little group is still going strong! It has been a crazy couple of years. I know Judy filled you in so I won’t go into too much detail about his illness. In Nov 2019 he developed a nasty case of Pnemonia that came out of the blue. I was still posting here so you may remember. Shortly after he started with persisted Afib. He seemed to be feeling better right before we moved. Then once we got here all random stuff was happening to him..he needed a pacemaker and then a cornea transplant….a list of things, then his kidneys were showing high levels then eventually his liver was failing. I could go on and on. Several of his doctors asked if he ever had covid and we said not that we knew of, but when we mentioned the pnemonia in 2019, some thought he had it and but didn’t know it back then. We will never know what started the decline, but all is now in the past and today 10 months post surgery we have been riding ebikes all around town!

Now for me….I have put on 20lbs and I hate it. Last year, after Bob being in and out of the hospital sometimes 2 weeks at a time and then when he went in on 10/9 and did not leave until 12/17. I lived on fast food and hospital food. I pretty much went to work only when I needed too and lived at the hospital. I was exhausted and there was no time or energy for exercise. Then post surgery he needed round the clock care. The past couple of months I have been working on me and trying to get back in shape but it is a slow process. Taking one day at a time. I am back to bouncing and barre - two of my favorites. I am far from the intensity I was at, but I am moving forward.

I am going to go back a little and try and catch up a bit with you amazing ladies!

Hope all have been well!!!

Last edited:
Good morning. Today I did Jane Adams Gentle Yoga Morning Energy practice for 18 minutes. My lower body is really feeling the effects of Boss Loops Glutes and Core from yesterday.

Judy, thanks for starting us off this week.

Lori, it’s so good to hear from you! You and Bob have been through so much over the last few years. I am happy to know that he is doing better. As far as your workouts go, just take your time and do workouts that you enjoy.

Valerie, I hope that your drive back to Washington is uneventful.

Hello to Cathy and Diane Sue.

Did not get as good of sleep as I wanted, but it could have been much worse. Slept for two hours, awake for one and then slept three more. Up at 4:30 and out of the garage at 5:00. Drive up was uneventful other than it kept raining lightly on and off until the last hour. Derek and I hit a good weather window for our hike! I checked into my hotel and chilled for a bit and then was going to go hike along the bay and it's raining. Forecast is now looking worse for tomorrow than it originally did, so it looks like if I want to go out, I'm probably going to get a bit wet. Going to try and add some pics. Ugh! I have no idea why they are sideways.

Carolyn nice job with the yoga.

Lori so glad that you are back. Very glad to hear that Bob is doing so much better. Doing workouts you truly enjoy is the best way to get back into the swing of it.

Attachments

• 3D2D2762-A787-401E-8325-ED22B055CF96.jpeg
    3D2D2762-A787-401E-8325-ED22B055CF96.jpeg
    36.9 KB · Views: 7
  • 443DD97A-39CD-4861-9927-BD5323186FF7.jpeg
    443DD97A-39CD-4861-9927-BD5323186FF7.jpeg
    39.4 KB · Views: 7
  • D9B5FBCC-F0CB-4D69-A9CB-60A38B0385BD.jpeg
    D9B5FBCC-F0CB-4D69-A9CB-60A38B0385BD.jpeg
    42.3 KB · Views: 7
Last edited:
Today I did a 1 hour Peloton ride and got caught up on housecleaning.

Lori-I'm so glad you are back! You and Bob have been through so much. I agree with Carolyn, do the workouts you enjoy. I remember how much you liked bouncing and barre. Those are great workouts.

Carolyn-Great job with the Gentle Yoga Morning Energy practice.

Cathy-Sorry about the sleep. Hiking sounds like fun! I hope you don't get too wet. It's been raining here most of the day. Great photos!

Valerie-I hope your trip is going well.

Hi to Diane Sue

we got back last night after a 12 hour drive. Ugh. no way to make it fun.

Lori so good to see you back here! wow, bob has had a tough road, and that made yours pretty rough too. the caregiver sure ends up doing a lot! now you have a hurricane to think about besides. Modern medicine is amazing in what can be done. time to get back on that trampoline. fast food and restaurant food in general is a calorie overload but in that situation there aren't many options. fitness comes back quickly if you do the work regularly. Do you still have your gorgeous lab, Gigi?

cathy my pics are always sideways too. my desktop doesnt have a photo program so I cant do much with pics.

my knee however is not ok. it feels like it is "disconnected". I'm pretty sure I lost a ligament and have an appt tomorrow with orthopedics. I expect I will need to get this fixed but will brace it now to remind me to step carefully and see what tomorrow brings.

This morning I did Cardio Slam, the no mat cardio premix. That was 34 minutes and 225 calories burned. My average heart rate was 131 and maximum heart rate was 160. I used low impact modifications.

Cathy, I hope that the weather allows you to get in some good hiking. The pictures are nice.

Judy, nice job with your Peloton ride. I’ve been trying to get some heavy cleaning done around here, but it’s going slowly.

Valerie, I’m glad that you made it back safely. I hope that your knee doesn’t have major damage. I’m always amazed at how easy it is to get a knee injury.

Waving hello to Lori and Diane Sue.

Thank you ladies for your kind words. I have never not worked out and be this out of shape. It has been hard. But I also know, it was for good reason and I try not to beat myself up. It does feel good to be back here!

Yes now we are on to the storm! Bob is leaving today for Navarre to be with his parents. They are 80 and 90. The hurricane could very well shift into the panhandle and he needs to make sure they will be ok…putting the storm shutters up and getting the house ready. I will be alone! I have plenty of friends in our place in Lake Mary so I will be fine.

The past 3 weeks I have planned 3 mini conferences for our company. This week was the last one. I just received word it is being postponed, so I am thrilled about this!

Valerie, we no longer have GiGi. While going thru everything we had been, GiGi got sick and her kidneys failed. It happened so suddenly in March. One day she was fine, less than a week later we were saying good bye. It was terrible. She was a very special dog and got me thru Bob’s illness. She was only 5 years old which made it even harder to say goodbye. We do not know why this happened to her :( We now have Newman, a lab hound mix. Shortly after GiGi passed my friend sent me a link to him. He was from Georgia and 1 1/2 years old. chained to a tree his entire life, no shelter from the elements. Some of his siblings had their collars embedded in. He was so underweight and sad, we had to help him. We believed GiGi would approve. So we did! We healed him and he healed us. He has put on 25 lbs and turning out to be a great dog. He came with the name so we kept it. Kind of suits him. We also adopted a black cat and named her Olive Oyl. She keeps me company when Bob goes back and forth to Navarre.

I was playing with Photoshop shortly after getting Newman and made these. Made me smile.

Attachments

• DD79751F-BBEF-4A8E-B04D-CCAEA921E734.jpeg
    DD79751F-BBEF-4A8E-B04D-CCAEA921E734.jpeg
    323.8 KB · Views: 10
  • 82970652-E1D8-45BC-AD0C-738CB00EA8F5.jpeg
    82970652-E1D8-45BC-AD0C-738CB00EA8F5.jpeg
    125.8 KB · Views: 10
Lori that is sad about gigi. very young passing for a healthy looking doggie. so unfair how life can be. so cute how you morphed the pics together with Gigi with wings! Newman looks like a handsome guy. and a kitty too! I am so slow to move on this, keep saying I want a kitty but I don't want the burden of car travel with a cat, and its hard to leave them alone for a week or two... so I haven't done anything.
Hope all goes well with the oncoming storm. we need rain so badly here it almost ( not quite) makes a hurricane sound like a good thing. batten down everything and hope it comes out ok.

I did P30 Low Impact Hiit this morning. Rain moved in yesterday after Derek and I hiked and it hasn't left except for very brief periods. I did go walk early afternoon. There's a place in the middle of Marquette called the Fit Strip that I'd never been to and it turned out to be a completely wooded area, all natural paths and the outside path I took was a little over a mile long. It's used for walking, jogging, biking and cross country skiing. They even have the ski trail lighted at night in the winter. Later I drove along the bay and out through Presque Isle Park. Was quite windy and pretty decent sized waves. There were at least half a dozen people surfing in one of the coves. But it's a cove open to a pretty aggressive lake when the wind is up. Some surf in the winter until the bays freeze. At the time, the real feel temp was 40 and that wasn't along the water! I've seen pics of the one guy, Surfer Dan with his beard frozen, icicles hanging from it. Bonus fun for the trip, my tire light came on yesterday. I checked the tires and all of them were low, so I went to Discount Tire and got air in them. Ironically, I have an appointment Friday for a rotation.

Lori I hope Bob's parents don't have issues with the hurricanes. My sister's place near Tampa is in the current path, and she's in NC, her husband on the road for work and her son was flying home tonight. Hopefully he can get the shutters up tomorrow. I'm so sorry to hear about Gigi. How wonderful it is what you've been able to do for Newman and he even has a kitty friend.

Valerie I hope that your new isn't as bad as you think it may be. Hopefully, your appointment tomorrow goes well and you find out what it will need to heal.

Carolyn great job with Cardio Slam.

Judy nice job with the Peloton ride.

Lori-I'm so sorry about Gigi. That is very sad. It's great that you rescued Newman and a kitty too.
I love how you made the photos with Gigi and Newman. I hope that Bob's parents don't have any problems with the hurricane.

Valerie-I'm sorry about your knee. I hope your appointment goes well tomorrow.

Carolyn-Great job with Cardio Slam.

Cathy-Great job with P30 Low Impact Hiit. I've been wanting to visit Marquette. It sounds like a beautiful area. One of these days Chris and I will take a trip up north.

Hi to Diane Sue

Today I did CDorner Cardio Step Aerobics that she did today, 35 minutes, heart rate 123/154, 173 calories, 3,492 steps. This one she said she used from a Basic Step she recently did, but changed it to be more intermediate. There was some cha chas in it. I liked it. She was discussing why she does not give a calorie burn for workouts because everyone is different. They compared burns today. She says she is 5'4 and over 140lb. She said when she goes to the doctor and they weigh her they give her a look like, what? She said bmi is not right and I agree there. She does not look like she weighs that much. I then did Cathe Pyramid Pump Back bonus 10 minutes and finished with CDorner new morning stretch which is filmed on the beach and she does voice over as she does not talk, I suppose because of the sound of the beach and waves in the background. Nice little stretch though for 11 minutes, 19 calories. Total time was 56 minutes, 222 calories.
I have had that crazy knot in my left trap area for several days now. I sure wish it would quit.
Yesterday was a rest day. Today was give Gertie a bath day. We have a vet appointment for vaccinations etc. I wanted her to be all spiffy clean and nails filed before we go. Not that the vet probably cares.

Pyramid Pump Back (I went light and did not go far back with the pullovers) I don't want the shoulder to start in again. When I did those light pullovers in PT I would hurt a lot afterward. This evening I have had some crackling in the back of the surgery shoulder and in the arm pit area. I am supposed to work on strengthening the posture areas, but I sure feel it.
pullover 5'sx12; 8's x10; 10"s x 8; 8's x 10; 5's x 12
1 arm back fly right 5# x 12; 8# x 10; 10# x 8; 8# x 10; 5# 12
1 arm back fly left 5# x 12; 8# x 10; 10# x 8; 8# x 10; 5# 12
pyramid this for 3 rounds

Lori, it is great to see you back. You and Bob have been through a lot. I am glad to hear he is on the mend and you can go out together on ebikes. I hope the storm is not bad there and you stay safe. My brother lives in Defuniak Springs, Florida. They moved there from Nebraska to take care of my sister in laws mother who has dementia. Newman is a lucky dog and I am glad that you found him. Sorry about Gigi. It is painful to lose a pet. Your photo shopped pictures of the dogs together are cute. I don't know why people get a dog and leave it tied up outdoors. They are not really a pet if they are not around their people.

Cathy, I do not know how you could make a trip with that little sleep, let alone go hiking. That looks like quite the climb. That would figure that you had to get air in the tires just before tire rotation. It cooled off a bit here and my tire pressure light came on so my husband put air in mine the other day. Our air compressor quit so he used a small pump he keeps in the car charged up for emergencies. We need a new compressor.

Carolyn, nice work doing Cardio Slam. Those Boss Band workouts really do a good job on the lower body as well as upper.

Valerie, I hope the knee is not something really serious. When I had mine catch those two times, I read that sometimes that happens when a piece of loose cartilage gets caught in the joint when it moves.

Judy, nice work on the Peloton ride and house cleaning yesterday.

My knee feels a lot better today but I absolutely am keeping that appt. diane sue I'm hoping it is something fairly minor like a meniscal tear or a severe sprain although its not clear how that happened. I have gotten on a bike millions of times and this was no different as far as I remember. will see later today. I'm getting on the elliptical later this morning to see how that feels. if you tear the meniscus, a loose bit of cartilage can cause big issues. my other knee had that when I tore the ACL decades ago.
we have a compressor in our garage to air up tires. we have a hand pump for bicycles. we tried some of the Fix-a-flat spray tire fixer when we had a flat a month or two ago. it didn't work at all. Dont rely on that working like the ads. maybe it will but maybe it wont. we changed to the donut tire. the tire was fixable at a tire place but we could not find the puncture.

ETA Did 30 min on the elliptical at level 8 and not too fast. felt really good. then x train core without the plank moves. last week I had trouble with those with my knee so not until I see what the orthopod has to say. I am still close to 100% sure I lost a ligament and expect the ACL. it feels like the motion of my knee isn't controlled.
Best to you Lori, riding out the hurricane by yourself.

Last edited:
This morning I did LIS Upper Body Trisets. My time was 59 minutes with 212 calories burned. My average heart rate was 108 and maximum heart rate was 148.

Lori, I’m sorry about Gigi, but glad that you have Newman. Those pictures are nice. I hope that you and Bob’s parents are safe during this hurricane.

Cathy, great job with P30 Low Impact HiiT. That’s a good workout that’s not too intense.

Diane Sue, great job with CDorner Cardio Step Aerobics, Pyramid Pump Back, and CDORNER stretch.

Valerie, I hope that your appointment is going well today.

Hello to Judy.

Today I did Raw Boxing and Legs #2, 41 minutes(extra time as I wrote notes on it) heart rate 112/152 heart rate, 2,137 steps. I then did CDorner Cardio Barre and Boxing from today. I did not complete all of it as I ran out of time and wanted some stretching. This one was different as it was more like ballet moves for a cardio segment followed by a kickboxing segment. I kind of liked it, but the ballet showed how ungraceful I amo_O I did the first two barre and kickboxing segments and started into the third kickboxing segment which had more kicking in it, but had to move on to the cool down. This was 34 minutes, heart rate 127/168, 171 calories, 2,605 steps. I finished with CDorner Flow Mobility from today stopping at 24 minutes as it was 35 minutes long. This was 45 calories, heart rate 83/ 99. Total time was 99 minutes, 367 calories, 4,742 steps. I found it interesting that Chris mentioned when doing the mobility today that the scapular muscles get loose because of all of the sitting leaned over. I guess that is why we need to work on them.
Coffey Fit Raw Boxing and Legs 2 35:29 minutes
requires on pair of moderate to heavy dumbbells and can use egg weights
Kaitlyn, Kelly, and Jayne
Boxing cross cross hook uppercut adding on a squat/ jack jab
Weight squats followed by single squats(faster pace) 15# dbs
Boxing angle step/hook/up adding side lunge/knee/side lunge
Weight side lunge hold 15# dbs
Boxing sidestep/ upper cut add reverse lunge/kick
Weight reverse lunge small turn(twist for obliques) 15# dbs
Boxing cross/uppercut/ sidestep
Weight all weight moves done together squat; side lunge/pulse; reverse lunge twist 15# dbs
Boxing jab/hook/uppercut/bob and weave
Cooldown

Valerie, I hope it is something easy to take care of with your knee. When I tore my miniscus I was still working out thinking it was the workouts. Pain would lighten up because I concentrated more on upper and as soon as I went back to cardio the pain got worse. I remember trying to do side planks with P90X2 and raising the top leg when in that position like Tony. It put so much pressure on that knee and hurt terribly. I finally gave in and went to have it checked out. It took 2 and a half months of tests and authorizing tests before I got surgery done. That knee still has issues sometimes. Although it is the opposite knee that got out of place or something.
We have had two air compressors that we kept in the garage. The first one lasted many years. This other one is probably 8 years old. It just decided not to work. So it is on the shopping list. The pump my husband used is one you can plug in to a USB or car cigarette lighter. My husband keeps it on hand when out and it has helped several people at work.

Carolyn, nice work with LIS Upper Body Trisets.

Hi to Judy, Cathy, and Lori

I got back home about 6 yesterday, and my watch says I was in deep sleep just after 9! I didn't do anything yesterday as the rain never left for more than a very short time and the winds continued to be crazy. When you head east out of Marquette you drive along the bay and I've never had winds push on my car that much! Finally drove out of the winds around Munising. Even in the areas where there were decent sized woods between the water and the road the wind was strong. Had rain the first couple hours, then none for the middle part of the trip and then rain almost all the rest of the way. Thankfully never heavy, a lot of the annoying kind where you barely need your wipers, but you need them. This morning I did Live Cardio Quick Fix and I just finished Boss Bands Glutes and Core. Mopsy apparently though stepping on my stomach when I was on my back doing core was a good thing. :rolleyes:

Judy if you decide to go to Marquette let me know and I can provide info. If you do, I'd come up or go back through Munising as there is also lots to do there at Pictured Rocks.

Lori I hope your family comes through the Hurricane with no damage. My nephew and his GF live in my sisters Florida home and they've got it shuttered up ready to wait it out. They aren't in the direct path, but will still get a lot of wind and rain. Neither my sister or her husband are there right now.

Carolyn great job with LIS Upper Body Trisets.

Valerie I hope things go well at your appointment, so you know what your dealing with.

Diane Sue you continue to put together an excellent flow of workouts. The Cardio Barre one sounds really interesting. I'm actually rather amazed at times at what I can do on little sleep, and I have this amazing ability to NOT sleep, the night before a long drive. The biggest reason I'm not looking forward to the drive to and from Fort Worth in November. I can always have Derek drive, but it's not like I'd relax enough to sleep. LOL

This morning I did KCM’s Cardio Quick Fix workout one, which was 25 minutes and 175 calories burned. My average heart rate was 130 and maximum heart rate was 144. Yesterday I went to Kroger’s but they had very little of the fresh produce that I needed. They seemed to be in the middle of clearing things out before stocking up for Wednesday specials. Today I decided to go to Sprouts where I knew they would have fresh vegetables. I keep a couple of bags of frozen vegetables for emergencies but I prefer fresh. I was able to get what I wanted at Sprouts.

Diane Sue, nice job with Raw Boxing and Legs and CDORNER Cardio Barre and Boxing. Barre and boxing sounds like an unusual combination.

Cathy, I’m glad that you made it back safely. Driving in rainy and windy conditions is never fun. You were obviously tired and needed that deep sleep.

Hello to Valerie, Judy, and Lori. Lori, I’m thinking about you during this hurricane event. I hope that you are doing okay. Have a good day everyone.

my knee is Ok, it turns out. ligaments and meniscus fine. I have a rough surface under my knee cap, chondromalacia, that I've had for a long time. all ligaments are intact. I most likely chipped off a bone spur or the patella caught and released on the rough surface because of slightly odd angle. I am so relieved!! it helps explain why the knee itself never swelled or got sore and why the discoloring and swelling was all down around my ankle....gravity in action. I got a cortisone shot because maybe it will help healing. it should improve by itself. I'm wearing a brace on and off to remind myself to be careful as it settles down. I can go back to riding. the best exercise for this anyway. what an enormous relief! this would be easier to diagnose but my pacemaker means no MRI. I have some exercises to help with knee cap alignment.
Cathy we get that kind of rain all the time. the intermittent wipers you can adjust speed are the best! that is pacific northwest rain, light and intermittent for days in a row.

Yesterday I did a 30 minute Peloton ride and 40 minutes of Peloton strength and stretching. Today I did Live #276, All In Upper Body. We have a couple of home projects we are working on. I'm painting the trim around our stairs and along the baseboards on our first floor and Chris is painting the garage floor. We also plan on replacing our dishwasher later this week or next.

Valerie-I'm so glad your knee is ok. I bet you are very relieved!

Carolyn-Great job with LIS Upper Body Trisets and Cardio Quick Fix workout one.

Lori-I hope you are all safe and doing ok during the hurricane.

Diane Sue-Great job with CDorner Cardio Step Aerobics, Pyramid Pump Back bonus, Raw Boxing and Legs and the CDorner Cardio Barre and Boxing. I'm going to try out the Raw Boxing and Legs. Thanks again for posting the breakdowns of the Raw workouts. They are very helpful.

Cathy-Great job with Live Cardio Quick Fix and Boss Bands Glutes & Core. I'll let you know if we end up going to Marquette. Munising and Pictured Rocks sounds interesting.

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.