Pentagenarians & Beyond: W/B 09/11/2022

Traildoggie

Cathlete
good morning. doing this saturday night since we hoped to ride in the morning. the smoke from fires has been awful all day and now it sounds like sunday will not be any better. air quality is terrible, irritating and we have ash falling. fires near and far. its so sad to see this happening every year in more and more places. there are fires everywhere right now. in case its better in the morning we will go but looks unlikely.

Valerie I'm so sorry you are being impacted by the fires. It's horrific how frequently they are happening.

My plans the last couple days haven't actually gone well. I did workout both names, but not everything I had planned. Yesterday I did RWH Low Impact Hiit 1, and this morning I did X10 Step Low Impact and Step minus the weight work. That's a DVD that I rarely ever use.

I found a container of old CD's containing pics, band and baseball stuff and I've started going through them. Lots of fun stuff. It's going to take me quite awhile to go through them all.

I don't want to be overly whiny since we have been free of smoke and fire issues all summer while so many people have dealt with it for months. we will have clearing off by sometime later today into tomorrow. it's such an unusual pattern with the remnants of the hurricane that hit california circling offshore. its ugly this morning. we got a few drops of rain, we could have counted them if we wanted, so not actually useful. there is a new ( yesterday) fire not far east of here that is causing a lot of our local problems, but there are fires everywhere and the air flow circles things around and around, and interrupt the normal west-to-east flow of the jet stream.

we have loads of CD's around. don't use them often. we use Sirrus on long drives. my old car has a 6 cd changer. none of the local stations play music much. most current material is not very listenable anyway. Cathy, that was funny about DH and his one foray to the grocery store. once must have been a good lesson. it takes a few trips to locate the things you want and work the store efficiently. I have 3 stores I use regularly, but if they do a shelf reset, its chaos for a while. we are transitioning from exclusively checker/bagger to more self checkout, bag- your- own with the bag you brought with you. more hurdles for the novice. all the systems are "the same but different" so its not always smooth.

did stacked upper body and abs from x train.

Last edited:
This morning I did my weekly Jane Adams Gentle Yoga Morning Energy practice for 18 minutes.

Valerie, I’m sorry that the smoke is impacting your area. The ongoing fires are very frightening and they seem to be all over the place.

Cathy, nice job with RWH Low Impact HiiT and X10 Low Impact Step. I like the strength workouts from RWH more than the cardio although I don’t mind the low impact cardio. The HiiT is too much for my knees. I never choose X 10 when looking for workouts. Looking at old pictures is fun.

Hello to Judy and Diane Sue.

Yesterday I did Coffey Fit Raw Arms (new workout). I liked it as it was slower paced and no long rests. Oh, and not terribly long, but arms were worked well. This was 25 minutes as I did stop to write a little bit. More like 22 minutes actual workout. heartrate was 94/119 and I burned 67 calories. I then did CDorner 30-minute step class from 2 weeks ago, 33 minutes, 172 calories, heart rate 128/156, 3,679 steps. I wanted to do some abs but had lawn people coming out to do work. Total time was 58 minutes, 239 calories, 3,679 steps. Today is a rest day. I thought I posted yesterday. I get sidetracked so much lately. I guess keeping up with different things at the same time. I keep having to deal with technology which wastes so much time. I am really disliking T Mobile and our new phones. I still have not figured out why the call forwarding did not work. It was thew reason we purchased a third phone for when one is forgotten. I tried calling the phone my husband had that I had forwarded to from his other and it popped up for me to put in a code?? I spent hours reading stuff and still have no clue so I guess it is going to be another trip to T mobile as there is no help or online chat that I see on their website. Anyway, just venting here. I hope Kelly gets the other Raw workouts that she is doing up soon.

Raw Arms 21:59 minutes
Biceps and Triceps of 4 exercises 10 reps each done in 4 rounds and then a finisher round at the end
Kelly uses 20,'s 15's and 10's (mostly 20's for biceps)

Front curls 15# dbs x 10r/ 12# dbs x 10 reps/ 15# dbs x 10 reps/ and I think 15# dbs x 10 rep(Kelly messed up and forgot the triceps extensions and when she went on and added two sets, one after rest, I did not remember the other front curl)

Overhead triceps extensions 8# dbs x 10 r/ 10# dbs x 10r/ 10# dbs x 10r/ 10# dbs 10r

Hammer Curls 15# dbs x 7 reps and 17.5# x 3 reps/15# dbs x 10 r/ 15# dbs x10r/ 12# dbs x 10r

Kickbacks 12# dbs x10/ 12# dbs x10r/ 12# dbs x10r/ 12# dbs x10r

Finisher round was supination/press back wide to curl/press down 10# dbs Garmin says 24 reps and I did not count

Stretch

Valerie, that is sad that there are so many fires around you. I hope things clear up soon for you. I used to take my own bags when I shopped at Sprouts. They gave me 10 cents for each bag I bought to use. It was tough finding a place to spend that 10 cents LOL. But, really I liked it because they held up better than plastic or paper (we had that choice) and easier to haul into the house. If they were really busy I would start bagging myself to help the checker along. I do not go to the grocery store very often anymore, although it would save frustration when I really want something and I do not get it and have to do a work around the item. I hope I get what I ordered to come today as I need the fresh fruit and stuff for my upcoming ladies group breakfast Tuesday. I am making Quiche and will have fruit and other options for the ladies. I already purchased the eggs and cheese etc. I ordered the lean center cut bacon to cook and use in at least one quiche. I am hoping they do not sub something else.

Cathy, it takes a long time to go through pictures and videos of family events. We have so many. Once I went through all of the family vids that were on VHS and transferred to dvd. I think my husband put a lot on external drive. I have totes of pictures, way to many picture albums. Even stuff I inherited from my Dad after he was gone. It got to the point where I just did not have time to reorganize. When I am gone I am sure my kids will have fun deciding what to do with all of it. One of my daughters put's all of her stuff on a website that holds it for you. I never was trusting enough for that. It is fun to watch old films though. One Thanksgiving we put in family videos that were playing in the background the whole time. It was fun listening to comments. I plan workouts and they almost never get done as planned. I get up and am no longer in the mood or feel up to what I planned. Actually wonder what I was thinking when I planned a tough workout.

Carolyn, nice work on your Saturday Morning Jane Adams Daily Energy. I wish I could get myself up earlier on Sundays to do some yoga or stretching. I barely get up in time to feed the dog and get ready for church. I have a couple of CDorner's stretches that I am really liking and they are more relaxed without the down dog up dog balancing stuff. One hits back and neck well and the other hits some neck and shoulders, but mostly lower body. It has been so long since I have done any of X10 that I have forgotten what it was like. I am sure there is a reason I shy away from it though.

I didn’t have time to do a workout today. My husband had a doctor‘s appointment and that took up our morning.

Valerie, great job with Stacked Sets Upper Body and XTrain Abs.

Diane Sue, great job with Coffeyfit Raw Arms and CDORNER Step. It’s hard to get up earlier for a yoga workout. I usually drink coffee and read the newspaper when I get up. I take a little of that time for the Morning Energy yoga. Since it takes no time to set up it’s an easy thing to do. Jane’s Evening practice uses a chair for down dog and some other poses usually done on the floor. It’s a good modification and is easier on the shoulders.

Hello to Judy and Cathy.

no workout today, medical appt that I was nervous about, then shopping. will ride tomorrow as the bad air has not cleared out as quickly as expected. better today so tomorrow should be reasonable.

I always take my own bags shopping. I hate those awful plastic t shirt bags that don't stand up or hold anything. I keep a set of fabric bags with paper bags inside in each car. folded down flat they fit in a seat pocket. the trick is remembering to take them into the store. we are charged for bags if we don't have our own. its to minimize single use plastic pollution. used to refund a nickel per bag with your own, but now there's a direct charge. with self check out, a lot more people bag their own. I have two boxes that live in my tailgate, so bags stay upright. I hate to see decent paying jobs disappearing as grocery checkers/baggers used to be a decent job. I put myself through college doing that. I'm a very efficient bagger. it is handy because so many stores don't have anyone who does it decently.

This morning I did RWH Low Impact Hiit 2 and Wicked Lower Body & Core. I shop at two stores. At Meijer I do Shop and Scan and bag as I go and then it's a quick checkout as everything transfers to the register and sometimes they have to scan a few items and sometimes they don't. Random so you never know. Whole Foods does .10 off per bag and hey just subtract it from your bill. I'll help bag there, too, if I get my stuff all on the belt and they are still scanning. I pack my bags much heavier than a lot of the clerks do. I swear some of them only half fill a bag.

Valerie I hope you are able to ride tomorrow. Nice job with Stacked Upper Body and abs.

Carolyn nice job with the yoga, I hope your husband's appointment went well.

Diane Sue great job with the Raw Arms and step workouts. I have a box in the storage room with a ton of old loose pics that I need to go through at some point. When the boys were little I did scrapbooks and then it got to the point where Derek wanted to make executive decisions involving the layout for his pages and he was not really helpful, so I set them aside and so some are partially finished and have been sitting for 15+ years.

Today I started with CDorner Total Body that she did today and got through 9 minutes and the moves we would be doing with a barbell or dumbbells. First move was squat press with a barbell, I had loaded with 10# plates at the start as she said about 12# plates she would use. Got through several and then just did squat, then she mentions next move was lunge with overhead and quit there. This was 28 calories and 9 minutes, 95/113 heart rate. I then did Raw Shoulder and Neck Limitations, 36 minutes, 112 calories, heart rate 99/120. I finished with most of CDorner Basic Step from today, stopped at second break and forwarded to BPM bonus and the stretch, 37 minutes, heart rate 125/146,. TOTAL 82 minutes, 318 calories, 4,091 steps.

Raw Shoulder Limitations
3 rounds

Squats 15# dbs 13 reps
Single
Biceps Curl 15# db 14 reps
Reverse Lunge 15# dbs 14 reps
Single Arm Kickbacks 12# db 15 reps
balance knee up and circle
Scap squeeze/ leg kickback 12# dbs

Squats 15# dbs 12 reps
single arm biceps curls 15# db 12 reps
reverse lunge 15# dbs 12 reps
single arm kickback 12# db 17 reps
balance kenee up circle
scap squeeze leg kickback 10# dbs 10 reps

Squats 15# dbs 13 reps
single arm biceps curls 12# db 12 reps
reverse lunge 15# dbs 12 reps
1 arm kickback 12# db 16 reps
balance knee up crunch
scap squeeze leg kickback 10# dbs 10 reps

Carolyn, I have done one of Jane's segments with the chair. It seems I used it a lot the first time I had went to PT for neck and shoulders. I should pull it out. I think I have all of the segments except one. I often forget I have some workouts on Amazon video that I have purchased. Jessica Smith has some that use the chair also.

Valerie, I hope that your medical appointment went well. Walmart has the worst bags ever. Most of the time they have holes in and I cannot use them for cleaning up after my dog. They are so bad that when they deliver my groceries some of the bags have only one Item in it. Whole Foods brings the groceries in paper bags with cardboard in the bottom to make the sturdier. They even use some sort of puffy paper wrap for insulation on frozen stuff. They used to use foil insulated bags but quit using them. Since I get delivery now, I rarely use my shopping bags. I threw one away when we went out of town and I realized it was tearing at a handle. We took our own food with us. Whenever my husband and I go to a store we go to a checkout with a human working at it. Rarely will we use self-checkout.

Cathy, I have had some sackers fill bags so full of really heavy things and I really do not know what they were thinking. I would carry them into the house from the bottom being afraid all of those heavy things were going to come out. Sprouts always had employees that were pretty careful how they packed the bags. I have scrap books that never were finished too. I was working on a couple of different ones for my husband with all of his travels and adventures. I think one can get tired of it move on to something else. I got it out a few months ago, went through my scrapbooking stuff and put it back in the closet. My daughter used to keep up with her scrapbooking and finally gave up on it.

Hi Everyone,
I need to get caught up on posting. I'm taking some time off HD so I can get caught up on things at home and help Chris with some projects we are doing. I really need to time off to recover from all the hours they were giving me too. When I go back, my availability is going to be set so I don't work 8 hour shifts and I won't be working more than 2 days in a row.

Sunday I did a 30 minute Peloton ride, yesterday I did a 45 minute Peloton ride and an upper body circuit at the gym and today I did a 1 hour Peloton ride.

Valerie-I hope your medical appointment went well. Great job with stacked upper body and xtrain abs.

Carolyn-I hope your husband's medical appointment went well. Great job with Jane Adams Gentle Yoga Morning Energy practice.

Cathy-Great job with RWH Low Impact Hiit 2 and Wicked Lower Body & Core. That sounds like a challenging combination. One of our projects this fall is organizing some of the things we have accumulated and reorganizing our basement.

Diane Sue-Great job with Coffey Fit Raw Arms, Raw Shoulder Limitations and the CDorner workouts.
Thank you for posting the breakdowns of the Raw workouts. I plan on doing both of those this week. Now I have a little more time I can start doing more of the workouts that I didn't have time or energy to do before.

Today I did Total Body Giant Sets, no round 5 premix. My time was 47 minutes with 223 calories burned. Average heart rate was 118 and maximum heart rate was 142. My husband’s appointment went well. It was a routine follow up and the neurologist made some slight changes to his medication.

Cathy, great job with RWH Low Impact HiiT Two and Wicked Lower Body and Core.

Diane Sue, you were smart to switch workouts when the first one was not working for you. Great job as usual.

Judy, great job with the Peloton rides. I’m glad that you are taking some time off from HD. You have more than earned it.

Valerie, I hate self checkout and I’m a terrible bagger! I know how I want my food bagged, but I’m very slow with it. I try to always use a real cashier.

Have a wonderful day everyone.

No workout today as I went and walked at the zoo. First cool morning doing it as it wasn't 60 when I got there. Leggings, turtle neck and a sweatshirt worked to begin with and they I ditched the sweatshirt as it reached the mid 60's. Still only around 70, but we're going up to 80 Saturday. It's the fun time of year when clothes change levels day to day. Had I said that I really shouldn't go to Marquette, well I reworked my budget and I'm going to do it. It's the best time of year and should be peak color and I really don't want to miss it.

Judy the new work schedule you have planned sounds good. Great job with the Peloton rides and gym workout.

Carolyn nice job with Total Body Giant Sets. Glad your husbands appointment went well. Checkout clerks are all over the place on their bagging ability. And I think especially the younger ones look at me and don't think I can handle heavy. LOL Sometimes I'll just tell them to go heavy. My bags are pretty sturdy and can hold a lot.

Diane Sue great job with the total body, step and stretch workouts. I keep telling myself I need to get the scrapbook stuff out, but it doesn't happen.

Valerie I hope you were able to ride today.

we did the planned ride today, just under 2 hours and nice. the air is better now although there are some fires burning not far from here, but wind is blowing the smoke east. we will finally be getting some rain as the week progresses although it still sounds pretty light, its cooler now and humidity is higher. every year it gets dry but this has been especially dry.

my medical appt went pretty well yesterday except that I am getting some not good news on age starting to interfere with activity. the doc was impressed with the good shape I've stayed in. good muscle strength, range of motion, flexibility but there are structural things I can't fix. one leg is shorter than the other. not noticeable but it causes imbalance issues with age. having back aches a lot and probably causes the bursitis I get. i am going to see a special PT person and hopefully stave off some of the deterioration. I dont want to hang up my shoes yet but some slow down is inevitable. its really hard to look at this.

those pathetic t-shirt bags stores use are beyond worthless. cause plastic pollution by getting into water and blowing around. at least paper bags can be reused especially if put in a canvas store bag.

what I see happening is stores don't schedule enough checkers. the lines get long, people end up in the self check out. we end up doing all the work for free. the stores probably lose a little due to "shrinkage" but they do anyway. I've learned how to do the self checkout process fairly efficiently because it will be the main way grocery stores do it in the future. I am good at bagging but it helps to have a decent bag. I pack them fairly heavy, with all cold things together etc, and I'm fast at it. all those years of practice!

No workout today. I hosted my ladies game day and we had a fun time. For some reason I could not sleep last night. The last time I looked it was 2:40 this morning and I got up at 6:45. I ended up with terrible neck pain and headache this afternoon. Not sure what is up with that. I should sleep well tonight.

Judy, I hope you get the recovery you need. I sure getting things done will feel good. Kelly put up a back workout on Raw, but I have not done it yet. It is another 23-minute workout. I will post when I do it.

Carolyn, nice work with Total Body Giant Sets no round 5. I am glad that your husband's appointment went well.

Cathy, I would call the walk at the zoon a workout.

Valerie, I am glad you got your ride in as planned. Age does seem to slow things down even though we do not want to do that.
I will stand in line before I do self-checkout.

cathy we posted almost the same time. I prefer to have 2 heavy bags vs 8 of thos silly plastic things that spill everything you put in them all over the tailgate.
there was a time when I didnt think I could schedule my own travel, but I learned to do it along with everyone else. same with medical records.
it's the same with groceries. the systems work pretty well but you have to go thru several times of feeling totally inept and stupid before you get the hang of it. I started with a couple items when it wasnt too busy. the systems are not all identical and alcohol ( beer/wine) needs checking by an attendant. that slows things down. some produce needs weighing. if no bar code on the item you need to tell the system what item it is. each store is a little different.
I feel bad. a lot of people( women especially) are losing decent jobs because fewer checkers will be needed . probably saves stores money for wages and benefits so I don't see this trend changing.

Last edited:
This morning I did Jessica Smith’s Steady, Ready, Go. That was 31 minutes and 210 calories burned. My average heart rate was 128 and maximum heart rate was 158.

Cathy, great job with your walk at the zoo. We are having a few days of cooler weather and it feels wonderful.

Valerie, nice job with your 2 hour ride. It’s the produce that gets me with self checkout. Kroger’s is one of those places where you have to look up each item if it doesn’t have a barcode. It’s very stressful for me. You are right about stores not having enough clerks. At one location they only have self checkout open after 11:00 a.m. If I want to shop earlier in the morning I will go to a different location that is a little farther away.

Diane Sue, I’m sure that you enjoyed the Ladies Game Day. I have a headache this morning and I’m sure that it is because of the changing weather.

Hello to Judy.

This morning I pulled out 4DS Boot Camp Cardio only. I hadn't forgotten what an aggressive workout that is. She even does burpees in the warmup! Then I did Upper Body Pump. That ones is high reps and uses 5-15's and the stability ball. I found it pretty challenging.

Valerie I'm glad you were finally able to get a good ride in. It's definitely hard to have to admit that physically there are some things you can't do anymore, though I certainly won't go down easy. Not that that's necessarily wise, but it's just my personality. I don't know about other areas but around here the lack of check out clerk goes back many years. Nick did it in the summer his first year of college and absolutely hated it and the turnover was continual. It's definitely not an easy job when it comes to dealing with people. Along with not wanting anyone else driving when I'm in a car, I also have control issues when it comes to shopping. LOL

Carolyn nice job with Steady, Ready, Go. I love the cooler temps, but this time of year makes it hard to figure out what to wear. When I leave to go shopping tomorrow it'll barely be 60, but by late afternoon it's going to be around 80. I hope your headache went away.

Diane Sue glad you had fun with your friends. I hope that your neck pain and headache are better.

Carolyn one of my main stores is QFC, which is Kroger in the west. I dont consider myself an "early adopter" when it comes to tech things, but I ease in. I always have the horrible example of my sister, who can't do anything, as an impetus to go ahead and try. what's the worst thing that can happen? you make a mistake? I've used self checkout at all 3 groceries, drug store, lowes, and HD. actually the Albertsons I use in MT has self checking too, and I've used it there. sometimes the line for the regular checkout is looong! I like the option of using whichever works best for me. if I don't learn to do it.... I don't have a choice.

I did a premix to x train bi's and tri's. and core 1.

I am not planning to fold up like a lawn chair as I age, and as long as I have good balance I will ride. Hiking is where I see the biggest slow down. I dont want to hike for 8 hours anymore! I do shorter hikes. I don't go as often. I might do an overnight backpack but I would not do a multiday trip. havent in years.

cathy I see young men as checkers sometimes but they dont seem to last. it's an area women do better at. I wasnt crazy about the job but the hours and locations worked for me, and the pay was decent. back in the 60's there were fewer options for women than for men.

Yesterday I did a 45 minute Peloton ride and an upper body circuit at the gym. I have a hair appointment this afternoon so I will probably do a short workout this morning.

Carolyn-Great job with the Total Body Giant Sets premix and Steady, Ready, Go. Thank you, I really need some time off. I didn't realize how much I was working until I had a chance to step back and look at how hectic my schedule has been the past year. I really needed to get it under control.

Valerie-Nice job with the 2 hour ride. There are definitely things I've had to change as I've gotten older. I used to do marathons and long bike rides. I was training up to 20 hours a week back in those days. I could not keep up with that kind of training now and wouldn't even try. When I run now it's no more than 3-4 miles. I've shifted more towards indoor cycling and a greater focus on strength training than I had previously. Balance and mobility is so important and I try to do workouts that help with that.

Diane Sue-The ladies game day sounds like fun. I'm sorry about your sleep. I hope you feel better today.
Kelly has been doing some good workouts lately. I'll have to look at the back one.

Cathy-Great job with 4DS Boot Camp Cardio only and Upper Body Pump. There are a lack of checkout clerks around here too. That's a job I would hate because I don't like standing in one place for so long. We've been using self checkout for years now. I don't really mind it.

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.