paleo diet

fitat49

Cathlete
Hi ladies, i've been reading some posts on here about this diet. I'm very interested in trying it. Can anyone tell me where I can get the information about the diet, what to eat, what foods to buy etc. do I need to purchase the book? Please help!! Thank you, Lori. :)

Thank you! I'm so at a loss of how to get started. I really want to start ASAP. Anyone who can offer more insight would be greatly appreciated!! :)

Here is an easy read, quick start book (condensed version of Primal Blueprint) that you can download.
Amazon.com: The Primal Blueprint 21-Day Total Body Transformation: A step-by-step, gene reprogramming action plan (9780982207772): Mark Sisson: Books

Mark's blog-
Primal Blueprint 101 | Mark's Daily Apple

I have several cookbooks but this one is my favorite because the recipes are basic everyday food.
Everyday Paleo from Sarah Fragoso - Paleo Recipes and Paleo Talk Podcast

She has few cooking youtube videos
Everyday Paleo Breakfast Pizza - YouTube

I've made this tasty recipe several times in the past few weeks.
Paleo Taco's - YouTube

I've made this fritata several times too! It's so good! I make a big pan, cut it up into single servings, and reheat when I'm on the go.
Breakfast | Everyday Paleo

My favorite Paleo pancakes. Though, if you have weight to lose, pay attention to your fruit intake.
Almond Pancake Paleo Breakfast Recipe - YouTube

Last edited:
The easiest way I understand it is to eat whole foods, no grains or legumes, no dairy, and basically nothing processed. You can eat lots of healthy fats, protein, vegetables, and fruit. Some people in the paleo community work on keeping their carb load down, some do not. Some eat root vegetables for carbohydrate. As far as I can tell, there is nothing really wrong with it. Many find it difficult to get enough carbohydrate content. I've done that style of a diet before, I didn't notice any change for me personally. It just depends on your own body. I do just fine with some quinoa. You wouldn't have that on paleo. I do ok with some sprouted bread, again, you wouldn't have that on a paleo diet. I like some hummus. The beans would be out. But, I really like the principle, recognizing the fact that we are humans and are not that different from 30,000 years ago is something I can bend my brain around.

I think it's very important that you read about the diet. It's basically an elimination diet. You will need to go through a detox stage and the book will explain the what/why this happens. I've seen a few posts on another forum stating the diet didn't work for them...but they were eating grains once a week. :confused:
If you eat the typical American grain-laden diet, your body is a sugar burner. You will need to give your body a chance to switch over to burning fat for fuel. I'm not going to lie, this stage stinks! You will feel like crap but after 2-3 weeks, the energy will switch on, your food cravings will disappear, and you'll see the difference in the way your clothes fit. I lost scale weight a lot slower than I lost inches.:)
Mark Sisson was a world class triathlete for several years and he talks about his high grain diet during those years, and what that did to his body. I think he does a great job explaining the what/why to this lifestyle. Mark is 58 and his wife is 56 and both are living examples of how healthy this diet is! I was reading the reviews on Amazon and someone said Mark was married to a woman half his age. LOL He's not, she's 56 but has the body of a 20 something year old. :cool:
Anyway, I feel it's important to understand the diet fully. Primal is a bit more relaxed version of Paleo, but it is Paleo.
Dairy is considered a non-Paleo by Dr. Cordain (85/15 rule), but is considered a "grey" area by Mark Sisson. You will need to eliminate dairy at first, and reintroduce it later to see how you respond to it. Many people have problems with dairy. Dr. Cordain believes it leads to cancer.
I eat a small amount of dairy (cheese, fage yogurt) and it doesn't bother me.

Here are some great podcast to listen to-

Rob Wolf and the Author of Wheat Belly-
The Paleo Solution – Episode 95

Podcast

Last edited:

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.