Oh my! So many workouts what's a girl to do??

wonderwoman

Cathlete
Since I started working out with cathe back in 2006 I have collected quite a few DVDs. That's actually an understatement. I have ALL of Cathe's DVD, numerous beach body programs. I have Jillian Micheals Body Revo. And some others. I have The Firm, Michelle Dozois, Zuzuka, Kelly Coffey and some others I can't think of at the moment. My question is does anyone else have a lot of DVDs? If so how do you choose which to do next???

The last time I counted my collection, I had over 500 workout dvd's. That was last year:p Not to mention all my downloads??? Never counted them, lol! Now these day's I am getting a little pickier with what I buy. When College Video closed, I bought a lot of workout dvd's, they still in shrink-wrap :( I can't do high impact workouts anymore or very little , so I don't buy them. I just open my Xtrain set, bought it when it came out. I been doing it 2 weeks. Love it. I know, I can't do Hard Strike every week or AOLI every week, so I will sprinkle some Turbo Fire, Less Mill Compact and Michelle into the mix. OH, on Black Friday I bought Turbo Fire ( I wanted that set since forever:D), Slim in 6, Less Mill Pump. P90:D I know, I find a way to add them with Xtrain. I am following 90Day rotation. Not sure, if I take a break after 4 weeks and start Less Mill Pump. Talk about muscle confusion:p Just have fun! Mix it up:) There is a reason you bought all those other workout dvd's, right?

My husband just looks at me and shakes his head. I have so many DVDs. I've got to start making rotations to use all of them. Sometimes, I just shake my head as well. But, for me it beats paying a monthly membership fee to an over crowded gym. Happy wife, happy life!! Right, sweetheart?

Yes you ladies are right!
Definitely will be starting with Cathe's new DVD's come Jan 01. Then each month I'll take it from there. I guess I'll put some papers in bag and pick what rotation will be next. LOL!
I love it! My most precious are my DVDs. Besides my daughters of course oh and the hubby too!!!!

I love this!! I too am getting picky about what I do. I've been at this for long enough to know what I like and don't like. I DON'T like to waste money either. I DO like a good return policy! ;)

I used to think I was good with about 15-20 dvds (after many years of vhs). Now I have ??? Well.....140-150ish. I love them all!! I have given some away after graduating to tougher ones. I keep thinking "I have enough". Then I see something new or different and think "Oh....I would enjoy that"! Its an investment in myself......right?

Oh.... I forgot to answer your question of how does a person pick out a workout. For me.....I take some time on the weekend to see what dvds are up next on my shelf. I try to mix cardio, toning, circuit, Kickbox etc. I just pick a mix I think i can handle and keep the longer ones for days when I'm not working (80 min or longer). I try not to work the same muscle group 2 days in a row. Pretty basic plan I suppose but it works for me anyway. And yes....I do rotate all my dvds.....I physically move them from shelf to shelf. o_O

like tlc, mine is a physical system to help me choose.... When I do a workout, I put the dvd back at one end of the shelf, and I choose the next from somewhere around the other end! On Demand has sort of messed the system up, though!

Went back to Tracy Anderson with a different centric, gotta love Black Friday. At less than $10 for Metas, I think they still had some at BB & B if anyone is interested. She can always get me back on track. both with workouts & eating healthier. It works for me.

I still feel kind of new to video workouts, and haven't really tried that many different instructors. I revisit the same ones regularly. Turbofire & Chalean Extreme were new this year. Still interested in T25 but haven't taken the plunge on that, maybe next year.

I do more cardio than weights, and more body weight than lifting. That's how I choose. and sometimes I just run.

This is a huge problem for me. I have an enormous workout DVD library and like TLC93 when I think I have more than enough (and I seriously do) something new comes out by an instructor I love or I just discover something new. I recently discovered Mark Lauren through his EFX series and OMG. Now I MUST HAVE EVERYTHING HE HAS CREATED. See? It's a serious problem. In a perfect world I would do them all, all of the time because I love them all. but unfortuantely some get neglected for long periods of time. But I do always return to the favorites eventually.

Right now I am in a period of trying all new workout and I have so many new workouts this will take some time. But I have dreams of creating these amazing rotations with all of my wonderful challenging workouts...

You're problem is not a problem for us. I read your detailed review of JMBR, whoah, nice. Looking forward to your other reviews and new ones! Thanks.

I think I'm heading for a Tracy Anderson A to Z myself. I really like combining workouts and finding new and interesting combinations with instructor collections, it's fun.

Currently Metamorphosis, Beginner Mat ( 2nd one standing) or as a sub Perfect Design II, Cardio Dance warm up, Dance + Cardio finish (cardio only). I have designs on mixing in Precision Toning there and the standing work from 30 day Method. There were quite a few things I missed the first time around I want to go back & explore.

Jengollf
I was hoping you would respond to my post because I know that you too have a hugh DVD collection. Sometimes I'll be doing P90x3 for 1 week and then I read something on here or video fitness forum and think oh maybe I should do that instead. I have been very consistant with PIYO though.
Will now that the holidays are here everything's been very inconsistent. With all the parties and food....Oh boy!

Jengollf
I was hoping you would respond to my post because I know that you too have a hugh DVD collection. Sometimes I'll be doing P90x3 for 1 week and then I read something on here or video fitness forum and think oh maybe I should do that instead. I have been very consistant with PIYO though.
Will now that the holidays are here everything's been very inconsistent. With all the parties and food....Oh boy!

Did you go through the entire Piyo schedule? do you prefer to follow a system?

I didn't follow the PIYO rotation the way it was layed out. I did my own thing. I felt the rotation was a bit easy. So I used all the PIYO DVDs and did my own thing. I also had the 3 extra DVDs so that worked out well.

112toGuru--that is a good question. I do follow systems but I don't really prefer to follow them. It depends on a lot of things. I have workout ADHD--so systems are hard for me to follow. I get bored and want more variety. But if I feel there is a real benefit to following one and real results will only happen with the kind of consistency following specific training method for period of time will give, then I will follow it. That's why I followed STS, Body Beast and PiYo--because I wanted the kind of results that I would get from sticking to those systems. Other systems tho, I followed and I feel I could get similar or even better results from creating my own rotations using the workouts within the system but including lots of other elements. Insanity and TurboFire are perfect examples--both contain excellent workouts, but to do nothing but the system rotation is missing a lot of important areas of fitness, IMHO.

In the end, I want to create my own rotations in which I switch off between periods of metabolic strength workouts and periods of heavier/hypertrophy strength workouts; but I also want to incorporate adequate HIIT, kickboxing and flexibility throughout. I have so much to choose from I could create endless variety within an ongoing rotation. And like I mentioned before, I just discovered Mark Lauren's EFX and now I feel I MUST include more bodyweight training. I was already really getting into bodyweight training from Weider Ruthless, PiYo and BodyFit 360--but he takes it to a new level. BTW--I'll be posting the review of EFX on Friday. ;)

I have workout ADHD as well. I need variety. So, I need to really feel like I am gaining something from a ninety day rotation, or it's not going to happen. I usually add in my own mix, just for the variety.

Agree, I will follow a rotation/schedule the whole way through if I have a goal, even if the goal is just to do the entire system/plan. I don't seem to stay as consistent without some plan, or just winging it. So it's it's more like a plan, with options. I like variety too.

My new goal for 2015 is the food plan, like jengollf mentioned in the JMBR review, calories are key for me too. I go overboard when just running, mainly because I need more carbs and I can get away with more cheats; but without a lot of cardio, I just can't. Funny, I generally stick around 1500 calories too for weight loss w/ a 50-50 cardio - strength rotation. That was one other thing I noticed, over time (a few years) my workout length gradually increased from 30 minutes to 90 ( or more ) so I tend to add other workouts.

Not always. But when doing less, and less intensity, the calories are usually or need to be less too.

If so how do you choose which to do next???

Good question.
I personally like to mix things up although I am more a pure lift lover;).

That being said I do not go with the flow.
I set a purpose/goal to my rotation and choose the workout accordingly.
I am pretty spot on what I want to do.:):)

Great thread;)

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.