Noise while doing step....

SheWolf

Cathlete
Here's my problem. My workout room is located in my basement right underneath my bedroom, now I work out early in the morning and on days that my husband is trying to sleep in, I drive him crazy with the pounding of my feet hitting the Step. Is there anyway to stifle the noise some? Some trick? I hate trying to be "quiet" because then I feel like I can't go all out and get my heartrate up. I also posted this in the Ask Cathe forum.

Thanks,
Linda

I'm not sure how feasible this is in your situation, but when we built my workout room (it's in the basement also, but a finished basement) we insulated it with extra insulation everywhere... all 4 walls and the ceiling. There is a guest room right next to my workout room, and a bedroom right above it. Nobody can hear me at all... even if I'm running on my treadmill.

If there is any way to add extra insulation, that should help your problem.

Taking a different tack: what about DH wearing earplugs?

Also, putting down puzzle mats in the workout area.

My basement is half finished, the section where my workout area is the part not done yet, so I am thinking if we insulate the ceiling there that will help. I have refurbished wrestling mats on the floor.

And my DH does wear earplugs but says he can still hear me, when I am jumping around.

Linda

How late does he try to sleep? My DH would sleep 24/7 if he could. I don't make any major effort to keep quiet, especially if I'm working out at a reasonable time of day. IMO, if he's tired enough to sleep, he can sleep through noise.

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.