New job advice

bestican

Cathlete
Hello everyone...so I got a job offer, and I just do NOt know about it...the $ is there, for sure...benefits ok...I would be working in an office alone as bookkeeperr/secretary, but would be taking a job that is taking 3 other positions condensed into 1....the lady working there now is retiring after 30 years...BIG shoes to fill, and I just don't know if I could do it. 2 kids at home and the husband owns his own business...I am torn....of course we need the $, but what about the boys...9 and 3 years old...I'm afraid I will be putting in longer hours than they are letting on...especially since they are condensing the positions....it is for a church/parish....any advice?

thanks-BestICan

Bestican,
Can you talk to the 3 people? Find out things such as how many hours they were putting in. Also, if possible, make a judgment on how driven (wired, energetic) each of them is. It may be that you work faster and more efficient than they.

I did take on a job (a long time ago) that was a combination of 2 positions, and it was fine -- but I didn't have kids at home.

Have you ever worked alone before? Some people LOVE it, and others HATE it. This should also be a big factor for you to consider.

Good luck --
Jane :)

Go for it. Honestly, what's the worst that could happen? It's not for you so you resgin! I think you need to atleast try b/c if you don't you may regret it!

I recently went back to work f/t after being a SAHM to my son for 4+ years. It was scarey and I had my doubts for sure but honestly, I am happier and that makes everyone in my family happier. It can be tough at times when I feel like there isn't enough time in the day but everything gets done somehow. :)

Last edited:
Can you negotiate with them to work from home one-two days a week? I am a little concerned that you think they're lying to you about what they expect. Not a good sign as to what you can expect as an employee and shocking because of the nature of the organization.

I agree with Wendy; def give it a go! Sometimes we mark things up to being a bigger deal than they are in our heads and we never give things a chance. At the worst, if you don't like it then you can stop working there. But you never know until you try! I also like Morningstar's idea of working from home a couple days a week; even if you could get 1 day, that would be great and would take a load off.

I currently work the job of 3 people and it sounds more daunting than it actually is. My company streamlined a lot of their processes, so they don't really need 3 people to do what 1 can. That's happening a lot across for-profit and non-profit companies these days, esp with the economy being the way it is. I hardly ever work past 5PM and never come in early, and I still get all my work done with time to spare. So check it out and try it!

You should be somewhat certain before starting a new job. The reason is that if you were to quit shortly afterward, your next prospective employer will look at that negatively. It's very important to show that you consistently stay at jobs for a reasonable length of time. A new employer doesn't want to invest time training you if they suspect you'll quit soon.

If you did quit, it's possible that you could leave it off of your next resume/application, but I would be particularly careful in a situation with a parish where you have a lot of people who know a lot of other people.

I'm not at all trying to discourage you from trying it out. I'm just saying that it's good that you're taking your time to make your decision.

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.