NEW!!! Gaining Control (End of Overeating): 1st Thread

thank you all for the support and your wonderful stories. i ended up doing CC vol 6 this afternoon and it felt good to sweat out all the toxins and burn off some of the carbs. I"m back on track and tomorrow is a new day. This binge was smaller than previous ones so thats progress and i'm finding that i'm not beating myself up over it. I'm thinking that mabe i need to eat more each day, like 1800 cals instead of 1500cals which i have been doing. I don't know why i just can't let myself have a craving if i want it and it is so all or nothing.

Becky - Heavens NO don't think you killed the thread! Keep talking!! I'm dying to reply to you, Laurel, Kariev, Dawn, Beth and Dixiedog, but I have this thing called a Work Schedule. No time for long posts until the evening, unfortunately. Right now, while I'm working, I've got the Month 2 Insanity Plyo workout in my computer. I'm half-watching. I have to do this in an hour. Looks intense.....

Coming back later tonight for a full report....
Sandra

Same deal here -- work, kids, etc. You're not a thread killer!

I skipped ahead in the book and read two or three chapters on trying to fix this problem -- I like it! I've been way more conscious all day..... do you guys know about reasonablediet.com? She has podcasts on itunes (though not sure it's updated regularly) and her approach is basically to get back to reasonable thinking about food -- making conscious choices and set yourself up for success by agreeing to do what you know you can do.... don't set yourself up for failure by trying to live up to impossible things for yourself. Anyway..... I lived (and ate) with thought and intention today -- so far, so good. And if I want to eat something that I just shouldn't, I have veggies cut up and must eat them first. That's part of my strategy!

Off to clean the house, figure out dinner, etc......

Hi there! I've been reading this book and just saw your thread. Hope you don't mind me joining in. I'm finding the info on how food is processed and we are manipulated by it, to be fascinating. How wonder there is such an increase in obesity. Haven't gotten to the strategy section of the book yet, but Bitmover's post reminded me of the Beck Diet. Has anyone read that? The author advocates and practices cognitive coaching, along with goal setting, for weight loss.
Okay, my goal is to eat healthier. More specifically, clean. I've been noticing a difference when I eat the whites and dairy. My energy levels decline and my allergies were going crazy when I was consuming these two. To help achieve this, I borrowed a couple of different cookbooks from the library. My weight has been about the same, give or take a couple of pounds, for years. I just want to have energy to get many things dones, like working out and reading forums.
Cookie

Have you tried the "Sabotage Self Sabotage" mp3 from Renee Stephens of the IOWL (inside out weight loss) podcast?

Thanks

Alisha

One more thing, there is supposed to be a way to avoid cravings by eating to target your RDA of all your nutrients. I don't know if that would help any of you. just a thought. . .I kind of feel like a thread crasher.. . :eek:

Good evening everyone. Big yaaaaaaaaawwwn!! I'll have to keep this brief and to the point.

The mental rehearsal technique worked very well for me today. I came home from shopping and immediately poured myself a big glass of water (I was very thirsty and feeling tired), brewed a green tea, put away some groceries, then prepared and ate my 3rd meal of the day. I got through the danger zone! I used the technique again as I came home from the kids' swim lessons tonight. I've noticed that "coming home" is a huge cue for me to eat a treat. I feel like it helps to relax me, transition me into being home, and reward me for whatever it is I just did. Apparently I find leaving the house stressful! :rolleyes:. So, this will be something I have to condition myself out of: walking in the door, and away from the kitchen!

My homework is to continue to practice this technique, while I try to read another chapter and find another technique to incorporate.

Laurel - THANK YOU for writing out your experience! Wow!! This stuff really works, doesn't it? It's great to know that you've been successful, although still have your struggles. I imagine it will be that way for most of us. Just like an alcoholic has to accept that s/he can never have just that "one" drink, we have to accept that we will always have to exercise some degree of self-control around food. That's just the way it is. I hope you keep sharing your experiences with us.

Kariev and Becky - I'm sorry you both had binges recently :(:(. Eating that much food at once must feel really unpleasant. Why do you think you do it? Every behaviour that we repeat frequently has some kind of reward for us; something that reinforces it and makes us want to do it again. Is it an emotional charge from eating the food itself? Is it a means to avoid something else? Keep in mind that we've only just started this process, and that it won't be fixed overnight. There's going to be a lot of trial and error before we get better habits firmly planted over the old ones. Becky, thanks for the detailed intro. I'll try to do the same another day, when I'm not half asleep.

General idea to the whole group: A good starting point, when you're ready, is to pick an eating behaviour that you want to change, and focus on that behaviour for the next while. Instead of making this about losing a certain number of pounds, make it about extinguishing bad eating habits. Make a list of the ones that you're currently aware of, and start setting yourself behavioural change goals. You are what you eat.......change how and what you eat, and you will change who you are.

Welcome to all new members!! Thanks for the podcast suggestions. They both sound very interesting.

G'night everyone........zzzzzzzzzzz

Good Morning,

Great suggestion Sandra, about chosing a specific time to focus on. For me it is when I am at work. I don't think about junk food until I get there and the vending machine calls to me. I am going to work on that today. From 5-7 I find myself picking at chocolate of chips. If I could focus my energy on something else, I could stop this bad habit, because that is all it is, a very bad habit. Have a wonderful day everyone, I'll check back later.

This thread is timely...

I'm so grateful for finding this thread and the empowering sharing everyone is doing. I've been reading and and applying Tom Venuto's Body fat solution for the past couple of months. I love how much time is spent discussing the behaviour aspect of food in this text, while offering real strategies. I've struggled in the past with diet induce binge eating due to eating too low of a caloric intake for my body/activity level. Books similar to Tom's (i.e. Alwyn Cosgrove etc.) made me realize that I didn't get how important it was to be strategic with how one should modify food intake to not set the body in panic mode. For a person my size and weight I've learned how to properly calculate my nutrition needs, and I'm floored at how much less I fixate on food and the fat loss, energy I am experiencing in the process. I've also learned how to incorporate free meals and now truly believe in the calorie in/out formula. Although I used to read and hear this information all the time, Tom's book just clicked with my consciousness. I look forward to remaining accountable here, while getting to know you all on this thread. Justine:)

Good morning! I realized I never mentioned my goal(s). Mostly, I just want to quit over-doing the yucky stuff! It's such a slippery slope. It would be a big bonus to lose 5 pounds, but at nearly 48, I'm not going to hold my breath on that one -- I'm pretty happy with how I look, I just really want to not feel out of control so much.

Dinner last night was chicken that wound up waaaayyyy too salty, and guess what? I was really wanting sweet afterward. I think trying to go a little blander, in addition to fewer processed things, would help me, so I'm going to try to focus on that.

A thought occurred to me this morning...I've heard it said that Insanity is the process of repeating the same actions while expecting a different result...or something like that! :p I have ALWAYS focused on workouts first, then nutrition. I use the workouts as an excuse to cheat. I've also never gone cold turkey off trigger foods basically because I don't want to!

So, I'm going to back off my workouts a little. I just finished Week 1 of INSANITY so that is going to be my main cardio focus, along with running. I'm training for a December half marathon so I have to keep running. I was trying to do P90X along with INSANITY which is just INSANE! I'm still going to work in weights a few days a week, but enough of this 3+ hours a day. I'm tired! :( And my body is screaming at me with all sorts of aches and pain.
The time I've been devoting to all the extra workouts is going to go to studying nutrition and re-learning my eating habits.

I'm still undecided about the cold turkey, but I'm hoping I will read or hear something soon which will give me a clear direction about that.

So my goal for this week is to come up with concrete goals...beyond the pounds/inches side of things!

Have a great day everyone!

Becky

Hi,
I don't have too much to add since I'm a purist and have not skipped ahead in the book. :eek: However, all of your posts here have helped so here's a big air kiss to you all. MWAH! :)

My preliminary goal will be to stop the pre-dinner snacking. That's usually when I am hungry and grab my unhealthy choices. If I start dinner right away after getting home from work it's usually not a problem, but then the DH complains about how we always need to eat "as soon as I get home, no matter what time I finish work, and how it's ALL about MY schedule and his doesn't matter". :confused: I can see his point, but a little support would be nice. :(

Sandra, I like the tea idea. I think I will make myself a cup of tea when I get home to try and replace the snack habit, and then do something to clean the house if the DH isn't ready to eat yet.

Okay so I had more to add then I thought. :eek:

Good morning everyone!! I've just read the new posts from this morning, and you all have me very excited!! I'm thrilled to see some specific behavioural change goals being posted! Creating the goal and coming up with an alternative action is exactly what we need to do!! It supposedly takes at least 21 days for a behaviour to become a habit, I'm not expecting this to feel normal for a few weeks; the next few weeks will require total commitment. But hey, I used to eat potato chips every day at 4pm, then eat supper a couple hours later. If I can break THAT habit, then I can break this one!

Justin - welcome!! How great to hear your success!! Thanks for becoming part of our group!

Becky - I'm am most overjoyed to read your post!!!! YOU ARE DOING THE RIGHT THING!!! And yes, as I heard it: the definition of stupidity is to keep doing the same thing and expecting different results. My amateur guess is that you do soooo much exercise so you can reward yourself with eating all you want. If you begin to reign in the eating, and reducing your exercise expenditure, you will likely find that your appetite decreases, too. There may be a lag of a few days before that happens, but typically I find that to be the case. I know you're getting a lot of emotional gratification from the foods you're eating. Don't just depend on your "willpower" to make you stop eating in excess. Focus on the behaviour modification techniques in the EOE, and the cognitive tools in Body Fat Solution. You need to completely revamp your relationship with food. But don't expect to do it over night. Think of it as a weaning process. Set yourself a long-term goal for 1 year from now: where do you want to be in a year? Then set an intermediate goal for 12 weeks from now. Make that goal be a step towards the one year goal. Then set yourself a goal for the end of this week. And finally, set yourself a goal for today. Make all the sub-goals be contributing steps to get you to the final goal. This is advice that Tom gives in BFS.

Okay, the schedule says I should be working now. You guys rock! I'm very motivated by all of you! BBL!

:eek: Gee, Sandra, thank you! I'm going to need the encouragement as I go through withdrawal!

WOW! I needed to get some housework done, so I put on my headphones and started listening to EOE! OMG!!! I made it through Chapter 7 about the opiate respones. (and the floors look really good! lol!) I am understanding soooo much. Are you kidding me?!?! Rats would work nearly as hard for fat/sugar as they would for cocaine!?!?! I guess that asnwers my dilemna about going cold turkey on trigger foods, doesn't it?

I am going to go eat lunch now. Then I am going to hop in the shower (why does cleaning make you feel so dirty? :confused:) and spend some time with THE BODY FAT Solution and getting ideas for ways to apply what I am learning!

Can't wait to keep reading what y'all are learning and how you're taking action!

Becky

Well, honestly 5 pounds in two weeks may not happen, but I DO know what I weigh now and I have not known for a while. The truth hurts. I have not set specific goals for how I'm going to accomplish this. Goal one is to finish reading the book and keep on working out b/c of the many health benefits. In the fall/winter it will help me to have a hot drink to relax with. I may buy snack packs b/c I don't know if I can quit cold turkey but I don't want a snack pack to leave me wanting more all the time. I'm trying to figure out what foods I can eat that will satisfy and how to resist the urge to eat emotionally. I'm actually trying not to put a specific number on total weight loss b/c I don't want to obsess and don't know what my body can lose as it has been a long time since I've tried to diet. I'm taking a nutritional supplement to help me sleep better and I started taking a green food complex in addition to my regular vitamin program to try to get a sound nutritional base. I must find a replacement behavior for eating and it can't be a constant workout...LOL!

Intuitive Eating sounds interesting. I'm not planning to purchase another book at this time, but I may hang out at Barnes & Noble and take notes.

Just finished a cross training workout at the Y and I took a babystep towards conquering the *exercise = eating free for all* The spin instructor said during a particularly tough segment, *just think of all the calories you're burning right now!* And I told myself...*that's not the point, getting stronger and healthier is the point!* baby step, I know!
Going to shower then walk the dog and listen to more of EOO!

Becky

Becky - THAT was more than a tiny step.....that was HUUUUGE!!! The first step is often the hardest: EXCELLENT JOB!!

It's been very quiet here the last 24 hours. Does anyone else have any thoughts/comments/successes to report? I've been doing well with using the mental rehearsing technique. My next technique to employ is to quickly and firmly say "no!" to a tempting food, before my brain has a chance to start thinking,"well, maaaybeeee....." According to Kessler, if we take any time at all to allow some uncertainty to come into our brains, we're done. The "no" has to come immediately and assertively. No time to think about it. "No!" Then walk away.

I'm off to a fitness retreat until Sunday afternoon, so this'll be my last post for a bit. I hope you're all busy reading and becoming motivated to implement new ways of thinking about food. I'm going to bring EOE with me for the long drive down and back.

This thread's getting pretty long. If anyone wants to start a second one, feel free.

Have a great weekend everyone! This is a tough time for most people to stick with the healthy eating, so put yourself on high alert for all the cues that trigger you. Every weekend it'll get easier, as you become deconditioned from the association of weekend celebration and food (this is what Kessler tells us).

Cheers!

So I had a major "ah ha" moment today. I was in an all-day training and the facilitator for the training is a very fit man about 42 years old. He wasn't a body builder - but he was slender and had a nice phsyique. So I was sitting next to him at lunch - and I noticed what he ate. He ate MUCH LESS THAN I DID. He stopped when he had enough, didn't go right for the sweets, and left food on his plate. So what dawned on me was how crazy I am with my portions - what I perceive as a normal portion and what I have accustomed myself to is way off base from what is truly required. I mean - I'm not saying that I know exactly the circumstances of this man, but I do know that what I was eating as "normal" was far more than what he was eating as "normal." And he is slender, and I am not. . . . So there must be something to it all. . . .

I really want to become more conscious of what I am actually doing to my body. . . .

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.