Need your efficiency tips for work!

Govtgirl

Cathlete
I have decided that as much as I love my job, I need to keep it from 9-5:30, and just do things for me and my husband at home and on the weekends. Like this weekend, it's all I can do to NOT check my work email!! :) I think I'm pretty efficient at work, I get a *lot* done, and always have multiple projects juggling, but I need to streamline even more, and decide what can wait, or what even can be blown off.

For instance, I would love to put 100% of some files I have in an electronic database, but I just don't have time, to either learn the software, or keep it up if I have learned it. Also, I am not an adminstrative person and do not want to become one; I want to focus on my artwork at work. So, is it such a sin in this technological age to keep well-organized paper files, and just enter the most basic info in a database, like the name of a person, then go to the paper file to see age, address, email, etc?

Also, I get a lot of email from outside people related to a certain subject, and it takes a LOT of time to answer them all. I was thinking of tagging all these emails to be anwered on Friday, that way I can block out a few hours of time and do it all at once, instead of constant interruptions to my daily work. None of these people are clients or vendors, and they're all general questions, nothing urgent, so I think for them to wait 3-4 days for a response may not be so bad. Or is it??? :p

All in all, I'm looking for tips and your best advice on how to be even more efficient, and keep my sanity. And getting someone to help me at work is *not* an option!

You can put your email on automatic answer that all emails will be replied to on Friday, that way they aren't constantly checking for your answer.

As long as you are the only one who needs your art files I see no need to put them on the computer.

I check my email once in the morning when I arrive in the office and my last hour of work. I do not answer the phone unless I know recognize the number and it is a call I need to take. Otherwise, if they really need to speak with me they will leave a voice mail. I have made it a point NOT to be a slave to email and phone calls. I also close the door to get my work done. I am lucky that I have an assistant who can help with any questions or problems while I am locked in the office ;)

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.