Need advice on a DVD player

SRP

Cathlete
Well, last night I was getting ready to start my workout, and my DVD player went PFFFFzzzzzzt and died. I tried unplugging it, replugging, whatever. I finally had to take the entire thing apart to get my CD out (it plays CDs too - and I had a brand new CC in there!!!).

So, I need a new one. I'm going to start shopping around, but I'd appreciate any recommendations. I don't want anything hugely fancy, but it's got to be better than the one I just had!

Mine was an Emerson - probably mid-range from Wal-Mart. I doubt I had it two years, the stupid thing.

Thanks in advance, everyone!

BUMMER!!! i never had good luck with emerson. our latest is a samsung dvd recorder/vhs player combo which has been a dream. its a little picky if there is the sligtest smudge on the dvd but thats not totally a bad thing.

we also have a JVC that is about 2-3years old we got for a gift that has been VERY good as well. its also a dvd/vhs combo. the samsung was about $200 b/c of the recorder so you could probably find a non-recorder one for way less. i wouldn't really go with those $20-40 deals b/c we have had bad luck with those as well. my mom got one and it won't play any of the dvds we burned for her,but it works on the more expensive brands.

i have heard ppl recommend sony as well,although i have had no expierence to comment on those so mine would be samsung or JVC.

ETA:i like kristen's recommendation for maganavox. i know wal-mart sells them now but i hope they still live up the quality they usually are known for. i am leary of ever buying anything from wal-mart again. their customer service is horrible when things break too.

kassia

http://www.picturetrail.com/ldy_solana

"And do what thee wilt as long as ye harm none"

http://images.meez.com/user03/06/01/04/060104_10010099873.gif

I have not been spending huge amounts on the DVD player that is in my workout room. It gets used quite a bit and technology changes so fast that I hate to spend a ton on them.

I had a Cyberhome brand that I loved. It finally died about a two weeks ago and I got a cheap Magnavox from Walmart. I figure if I get two years out of it like I did the Cyberhome then it has done it's job since I paid less than $30 for it.

I got a Sony 5 disc DVD player last year and love it! Great for A-Jocks mish moshes. I also like putting in a couple of DVD's when I am doing various parts of workouts so I don't have to keep changing the DVD. Saves time for me. I got mine at Radio Shack, and it was not real pricey, about $135....:)

Carol, does your Sony play VHS too? I have some that I need to copy to DVD before they stop making VCRs! So I'm definitely looking for a combo player. Thanks.

No, my Sony is only for DVD's. I do also have a Combo DVD/VHS player from Zenith. As I have some VHS workouts too! You can get Combos fairly cheap. Check Best Buy or Circuit City.

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.