My new aerobic floor!

jodijodi

Cathlete
By popular demand, I have uploaded my photos of my new aerobic floor. We used Chris's instructions, as well as the instructions at http://stagestep.com/StageStep_Installation_springstepii.html to put it all together.

Here's one picture to start with, and you can click on the link below to see the rest of them with my comments:

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3095/2494397745_436e2a4541.jpg

Click here to see the whole set:

http://flickr.com/photos/jodijodi/sets/72157605075252731/detail/

We did hire someone to help us with it, a handyman who has done work for us before (he put in the old carpeting and the drywall that you see in the photos). My husband did all of the layout work, figuring out how to cut and arrange the plywood, and where to glue the blocks.

The cost of the floor without the labor charges was about $400. The floor is 12 feet by 10 feet.

I have to admit I am just a little disappointed that it doesn't feel nearly as bouncy as the floor at Cathe's gym. However, it does "give" when I jump, and I can definitely feel a difference when I am doing jumps and plyo moves. I feel like I can jump higher, and it definitely feels better on my knees and other joints. While IMAX2 definitely didn't feel "easier", I felt like my stamina was better because I wasn't fighting with the floor. It does feel a bit harder on the balls of my feet, however, because the old floor was padded. The new floor has no padding between the carpet and the plywood, so it is a firmer surface.

Overall, I am very happy with it, and I think it will be a very good thing for my knees!

Let me know if you have any questions!

Oh, I think this is fantastic! I'm so glad you shared this with us. I've been wanting to do this for a very long time. This looks really good by the way.

Janie

4760884_bodyshot_175x233.gif
[/url]

The idea is to die young as late as possible.

Hey Allison, are you drooling on my new floor?? Somebody get that gal a towel! :D

Thanks ladies! Like others who have re-done their workout rooms, I knew that people here would appreciate how excited I am!

Jodi -- your room looks FANTASTIC!!! I'm so happy for you -- I just wish my room looked like that! Maybe soon ---

Thanks for posting all of the details. I'm going to have my husband look at your pictures (since he will be doing it for me!). I do have a question, however, because I was wanting my floor to be like (or close) to the floor at Cathe's gym. That was a hard wood-type floor and didn't have carpet. I wanted to get away from the carpeted area (because I currently workout barefoot on carpet, but would love to be able to workout with shoes on a floor). Anyhow -- just wondering about that. Did you choose to go ahead and carpet the area, or was that an option?

You have such an AWESOME workout area -- mine's not as big or nice. I'm hoping to change that soon, however. Have to do it one step at a time. Hope you keep enjoying the new floor!!!

Thanks! Julie

We decided to go with the carpet because it was still in great shape and we figured we might as well save a little money and keep the carpet out of a landfill by reusing it. We didn't really look into other options. I think Chris mentioned that you could use vinyl or pergo in one of the other threads. You might want to go back there and read what he said, because once I decided on the carpet I didn't pay too much attention to the other ideas.

HTH! Thanks for the positive comments!

Jodi

I have the link with Chris' comments. I will probably try and go with the Pergo flooring (I like the hardwood floor instead of carpet!). I'm looking forward to getting my floor the way I want it -- it will take a while. I absolutely LOVE your setup and would love to try and duplicate it --. I just want to be able to work out with shoes instead of barefoot!

I'll let you know what I do -- I'll let you know in July!

I always wear shoes when I workout; I have to because of issues with my foot. The only thing I have to be careful of is pivoting moves. I either don't do them, or I shift from one foot to the other instead of spinning. It's hard to explain, but I've been working out on carpet for so long now that I'm pretty used to it.

Where I work out now, the room used to be my oldest daughter's bedroom (she's now in college). And of course when our house was built 9 years ago, we put in all the extra padding, etc., so that is what I am working out on. When I do step or kick boxing workouts on carpet, I just can't maneuver very well and I'm afraid I'm going to hurt myself (at my age, I don't want that!). That's why I usually workout barefoot for kickbox workouts and just socks for step. I, too, however, have had issues at times with my feet (plantar fascitis!). I know a new floor would be great!

Again -- thanks for posting your pictures -- I really love your workout area! You are very lucky to have such a great setup!!

See you soon!

Thanks for posting the picture of your new floor, Jodi. Your workout room looks great! :)
I think I'm going to try the floor with nothing on top of the plywood first. Then I'll try the puzzlemats that we have now. And then, if I don't like either one I'll have to decide which to go with--carpeting or pergo.

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.

Back