My first 5K

nivipa

Cathlete
Well, thanks to Cathe's challenge, I have signed up for my very first 5K! I am not a regular runner (I do DVDs almost exclusively), so I don't know too much of what to expect. For something as short as a 5K, should I "carbo load"? What kind of a breakfast should I eat, and when? Do you walk for a few minutes before the race starts to warm up? What should I wear, and what should I expect to see and experience there?

Thanks for any/all advice you have for a newbie!

Nicole

Hi, Nicole!
I've been doing 5ks and shorter races for the past 4 years, first as a speed walker (my very first race, a 2 mile walk, was one I just heard about 3 days prior, and I had no idea I'd be as fast as I was compared to others, in spite of some goofs, like taking my MP3 player and assuming the fast musíc I'd chosen would help, when it ended up being slower than my race pace, and slowing me down, especially when I tried to adjust it). That race lead to a 5k in which I won the walker's division, which started for me what has become a healthy addiction, and I've been winning or placing in races (walker division ,though sometimes getting age-group awards against runners in some races) ever since.

Here are some tips that may help you:

When is the race? Usually, 5k training programs have several weeks of prep if you aren't regularly running/walking at least close to that distance. (I had been walking 4-7 miles a day for 3-4 days a week before I entered that first race). Look up 5k training programs online ( www.runnersworld.com has some, for example) and see if they will work for you. Since you are not a regular runner (I'm not sure how much running that means you do?), don't plan to run the entire race. You will most likely need walk breaks. IMO, you should work up to doing a few run/walks at 5k distance (3.1 miles) before 'the big day,' to get used to the distance.

Some tips :
Try to get a good night's sleep the night before (not always possible, because you'll be excited and nervous: I often use "Moon Drops," a homeopathic sleep aid, the night before a race to help me sleep better.

Also, pack a race bag the night before, with the clothes you are going to wear and anything else you need (a Garmin? anti-chaffing lube? a Spi belt to hold your ID/key?)

Dress as if the temp is 10-15 degrees warmer than it actually is (depending on how much you heat up when running). Otherwise, you will get too warm after you start. If it's in the 40's or cooler, you might want to take some sweat pants and a top to wear during warm-up and to put on afterwards. One mistake I see quite a few slower runners doing is overdressing a LOT, like wearing sweat pants when it's 60 degrees. They look miserable after a very short time. (If you are driving to the race, you have the advantage of being able to take extra clothes "just in case". There are several times I've been happy that I don't clean my car out too often, as I've needed a jacket at the last minute when the weather turned.)

I've done (speedwalking, now racewalking) 2-3 5ks per month this year. In my most recent one, two weeks ago, it was about 50 degrees and windy at the start. I wore long compression tights, a long-sleeve wicking top (I do NOT wear the race tshirt, which is usually cotton, which absorbs moisture and doesn't wick. I've seen plenty of people this summer near the end of the runner's pack who were sopping wet at the end of the race because they wore the race cotton T), which I adjusted by pushing the sleeves up or bringing them down, depending on how cool/warm I felt at the time.

I also wore a buff head scarf (I first had it as a headband to cover my ears, but when the wind picked up right before the race, I changed it to a neck warmer, balakava configuration. LOVE those things! I wear them whenever the temp is below around 50, in whatever configuration works best).

I also wore a pair of light gloves (glove liners), both to keep my hands warm, and to use as nose wipers! I took a pair of sweat pants and a zipperer hoodie that I put on over my race clothes for warm-up, and to put on after the race. As always, I wore my Garmin to have my own 'official" time.

The runner's world site has a feature that you can input temperature and how you like to feel (somewhat cool, neither warm nor cool, warm), and it will give suggestions for clothing.

For food, you should not do anything 'new' on race day. Try out your food and what you are going to wear beforehand so you know what works for you. My typical pre-race fueling is a smoothie made with 1 frozen banana, a scoop of Vega pre-workout performance enhancer, a spoonful of chia seeds, and water.

Carbo loading isn't necessary, especially for that distance, but eating a healthy, higher-carb diet in general a couple of days before the race can be helpful. Also make sure you hydrate well in the days before the event.

Definitely take some time to warm up. As with everything else, you should try out your warm-up before race day. I'd recommend at least 10 minutes of an easy jog or walk, followed by some dynamic stretches. (I race for time--I like to win--and find that a longer warm-up o 15-20 minutes works better for me, especially to get my hip joints warm and flexible, but I'm 54, and definitely need the prep. I also make sure to stretch after the race, whiich many other participants dón't do).

Don't go for speed your first time out, just enjoy the experience and take in everything.

One thing I see a lot of beginners (I assume) do wrong is start out too fast. The adrenaline and excitement can get to you. Those are often the people who run a short distance, then start walking, and I pass them. ;-p As with everything else, try out your pace before race day (you will often be faster in a race than in training, because of the adrenaline rush and the thrill of competition--or maybe that's just me, LOL!--but you shouldn't be a lot faster than you usually run).

HTH!

Have fun!

Last edited:
First of all, congrats on taking on a new challenge. When it somes to fitness, I think creating goals and challenges are a great way to change things up and overall, improve your fitness and health in a whole new way.

Anyway, I have been a runner (on/off) for 30 years. What I have learned is, don't over think it too much. A 5K is a great start and believe it or not, doing workout DVDs will help a little in preparation...but you still need to work on the mileage/endurance to get your body used to running for 30-40 minutes. It's that constant motion for long periods that is hard for most people, especially for your legs.

Yes, I think some of the tips that Kathryn explained are good...but relax!! If your goal is to just finish (especially this being your first) take your time. Plenty of races ahead of you. This is a 5K, so you probably don't need carb loading. I usually eat a banana before a 5K, the night before, some carbs but no need to overdo it. I sometimes even do Yoga 2 hours before...but I have been doing this for years and I know what works for me (which doesn't typically work for everyone). Point is stretch a good amount before and after the race. I do some jogging before to get the body warm. Try and keep your pace consistant....don't worry about others runners, like Kathryn said, a lot of people go out too fast. I tend to go out too fast, but if I concentrate on just beating my best, then I know how to hold back.

Like I said, what works for me might not work for others. Since this is your first, just enjoy it and get a feel for it. The experience is like no other..and what I like most about runners, is that everyone is cheering for you, even the people you pass. It's this great community of people that are very encouraging and supportive.

watch out, because you might find yourself addicted. good luck!!!

I'm not a Jenn D runner by any means (she's my speediest friend! :) luv ya Jenn! ) but I do run a couple times a week and try to hit a couple short races each year. I agree with not overthinking it too much. Just go have a good time and do what you can do. Remember- this race is all about you- have a great time while doing it!

The list of tiny tips that i follow:
1) make sure your body is hydrated (but not too close to race start time- otherwise your bladder will be a bother! lol)
2) eat enough to keep you moving, but not so much that you'll start cramping up. I usually go for a banana and a couple bites of a lara bar or something similar.
3) I HATE when my ears get cold so if it's chilly i bring my headband to keep em covered :)

Double knot those laces and off you go :) fist bumps to your first 5K!!

I bet you'll have so much fun! I was so nervous for my first 5k but there was no need! It was so inspirational to see the variety of fitness levels a 5k brings. And most runners are so supportive of other runners. In my half last year it was fun to see the half marathoners and full marathoners cheering eachother on! When is the race and what part of the country are you in? I agree with the cold ears - and I'm prone to ear aches in chilly wind. I'd definitely get out a run before the race. And be SURE you go to a running store and get fitted for shoes. I'm sure they can guide you to a less expensive pair to start, but the right shoes can make or break your future feeling toward running :)

Jen

Everyone has given you great advice. I just wanted to tell you to relax and enjoy the race. I am not the fastest runner but I love doing races. I did my first race in 2008 and I haven't looked back. I try to do 1 or 2 races a month and just completed by third 1/2 marathon last weekend.

Good Luck!

Everyone has given very good, accurate advice. I totally agree on just have fun. I would like to add a **warning** though: races are addictive ;):D;):D But that's a good thing IMO!!

Good luck, have fun & let us know how it goes.

Congrats on your first race! The best learning experience is just doing it. After that race, you'll know what you'll need to do for the future. It's different for everyone. I know on my first race I was afraid of looking foolish. I didn't want to end up last and I didn't want to look like I had no idea what I was doing. Afterwards, I realized that nobody cared what I looked like or how I finished b/c they were too focused on what was going on with themselves. So, if you have similar concerns, don't waste your time on them.;) I also did much better than I thought I would b/c the excitement of the race pushed me to do better.

I would suggest you do a search on the forums to get some more info. There are lots of old threads with great information for new runners or first races. One of the best tips I ever got was to wear running shoes that are 1 size bigger than your normal size. That advice has really helped my feet and prevent blisters.

Again - Congrats and best of luck on your race!!!

Wow - I have to thank you all for the phenomenal advice - it's more than I ever expected, especially from you, Kathryn! I had expected maybe five sentences, but all of these ideas, including larger shoes and not wearing the cotton shirts (I'd *never* have thought of that on my own!) help me feel more in control of what to expect. I'm actually going to be visiting my cousins, so the race will be in Tucson. I don't think that'll lead to cold ears, but I'll look at wunderground and find out more of what to expect from the weather.

Thanks again, everyone! Fist bumps and high fives all around - and I'll go only for fun and the experience this time around, promise! :)

Happy Thanksgiving, Cathletes!

I wanted to let everyone know how my first race went.

I started off with a breakfast of scrambled eggs, a small homemade cranberry muffin, and a little milk. I also planned on bringing a banana with me, but I left it on the kitchen table - grr!

We arrived (my cousin and niece to cheer us on, another niece that would run, too) about a half-hour early. With the group, it was getting to be too hard to walk/jog to warm up, so instead I marched in place and did some jumping jacks and tuck-jumps (just to bring Cathe in ;), then some stretching, focussing mostly on my legs.

I was near the start line when it came time to race, but I knew enough to stand way to the side, so anyone who wanted to zoom past me was certainly more than welcome to. As the time got closer and closer to starting, I jumped up and down a few times, just to make sure my muscles were all primed. You all were right about not only the temptation to lead off at a good clip myself, but also seeing all of the others who did the same! Sometimes it wasn't even three minutes in when I started passing them!

Overall, though, it was other folks pssing me. I tried very hard to keep a good pace, and while it meant holding myself back in the beginning, it eventually became prodding myself forward. While I have no doubt my pace slowed, I pretty much jogged the whole way. In fact, the only time I walked was when I was forced to. This was a "fun run," so there were hay bales to jump over (pretty easy), and mud puddles to clear or slosh through (not so much). When I crested a small hill, there was a sudden log jam where there were bales. I didn't understand it until I was walking over the second one - two puddles lay ahead, and people were contemplating what to do with them! I was able to clear the first one, but I didn't have enough speed to clear the second. That was more or less the end of the first lap, then we went through again. I kept thinking " I can do anything for 3 miles!" - LOL!

I kept giving myself pep talks, like "I've run (jogged) the first half, I gotta do the second!" or "Only a half-mile to go, I can do this!" or "If I can do IMAXes, I can do *anything*! (However, I couldn't clear the second puddle the second time through, either, but at least it wasn't all clogged up the second time.)

Altogether I completed the 5K in 35:40 - a PB, as the previous poster stated. I was twice as long as the fastest runners, but nothing could beat the amazing sense of accomplishment afterwards, and I was astonished at what I could do. And there were lots of people cheering us on, as people had said, and I was very grateful for that, along with the many suggestions everyone else made here - I was very happy I was wearing wicking clothing instead of their T-shirt!

Thanks again everyone :)

Sounds like you had a great time!
When's the next one? Are you feeling the urge? Now that you have one under your belt and know what to expect (though one should always 'expect the unexpected') the next ones should be easier.

Interesting about the hay bales. I did a 5k Challenge a couple of weeks ago that included bales of hay to jump over (I'm not a jumper, so I developed a 'skipping' step), tires, big plastic and cardboard tubes to crawl through, 'spiderwebs' of stretchy plastic cord to bear-crawl under, cars to walk over (with help, as needed), a picnic table to walk over, and a burning log (well, more like a branch!) to jump over, and a few other surprises.

LOL, Kathryn -

I am not sure if I'm ready to sign up for my next *quite* yet, but I (and, hopefully, some of the other members of my family) am going to make this an annual tradition - it's a great way to start a day centered around food! My cousin was telling me I could "totally do" a half-marathon, but I think I'd like to work up to it a little bit more before signing up!

Also, I've got to say I'm impressed at your last race - the hay bales didn't bother me, but I could have happily done without the mud puddles. But the obstacles you faced blow the two types I had, well, out of the water!

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.