Murder mystery game advice

angie_nrs

Cathlete
A while back there was a discussion regarding a murder mystery game. It got me thinking at the time that it would be a lot of fun to do, but I have NO experience with this. My BF mentioned that we should try and do one of these games when we go camping for the weekend over the summer. I thought it would be a great idea!!

Can anyone suggest a specific game for newbies and where I can get it? There will likely be 4-6 adults and 4-6 kids ages 12 and up. Does the host exclude themselves from the game to make sure it all runs smoothly or would I play along as well? What happens if someone has to drop out or if they don't participate like they should? Can I also include folks who may only be visiting for a day but not stay the whole weekend?

Any help from the mystery gamers would be really appreciated.:)

Angie

Hi Angie! :)

I highly recommend the company I used, Night of Mystery. They provide several different party options depending on the # of people you will have, and several games have adult and clean versions available. You can download a preview of each game for free, which will explain the background of the mystery, the character details, suggestions for how to assign the roles, and what you'll need to do to prepare for the game. The step-by-step directions of the full program are very well laid-out.

I would assign main character roles to the people you know for sure you can count on, and assign smaller, unimportant roles to those who are "maybes." I did have one last-minute cancellation that I was able to fill with someone else, but I can see how that would be a bit more challenging on a camping trip. When I hosted, I also played the game, and you will have instructions on how to do that without spoiling the mystery for yourself or others. I also had people attend and play the game without playing a role, so you have that option as well for drop-by visitors.

Our event lasted a few hours, maybe about two-and-a-half, tops. I'm not sure how it would play out if you wanted to continue through an entire weekend, but it may be possible.

Overall, ours was a great time...it was surprising to see some of the folks who really got into character, and at the end of the night, everyone was asking when the next murder mystery would be. Check out my photos on FB if interested.

HTH!

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.