michigan bulb catalog

I haven't tried that one. Wayside Gardens (catalog & online) is superb, if you are interested in different options. We ordered three magnolia trees from them, and they are healthy, grew incredibly fast, & have beautiful blooms in the spring. I also got some annuals from them that have been self-propogating, healthy, lovely. Neither my husband and I are gardeners, so luckily, these trees/flowers have been strong enough to raise themselves. They ship in time for planting, too.

For bulbs, Van Engelen (sp?). They have a catalog which is a pleasure to look at and a website. Great selection, healthy, good for non-gardeners to be successful at planting/having bloom. Again, ship in time for planting.

My husband is in the industry (degree in horticulture/design and an estimator for a living), and also an avid (crazy) gardener. He's also a certified Master Gardener, so I trust his plant judgement. Any time he orders anything it's from Bluestone Perennials. I don't know if they do bulbs or not. I like to look at the catalog, though. Lots of pretty things!

Otherwise, he mostly gets his stuff from work or local specialty nurseries/garden centers. Work is free, specialty garden centers not so much! :p

Other women are football widows in the fall, I'm a garden widow spring/summer/fall. :p;)

Nan

I don't have any experience with the catalog, but my In-laws went to Holland, Michigan last spring. The pictures they took of the tulips were amazing! They ordered ones they wanted to be shipped to them this fall.

we are trying buy (need to sell our house first) an old farm house
Which will need alot of TLC but I can see just what I want to do .
I've never ordered trees or plants on line before. But the price is good, I just dont want to buy junk then have to go to the nursery anyway-ya know!

Christie

My husband is in the industry (degree in horticulture/design and an estimator for a living), and also an avid (crazy) gardener. He's also a certified Master Gardener, so I trust his plant judgement. Any time he orders anything it's from Bluestone Perennials. I don't know if they do bulbs or not. I like to look at the catalog, though. Lots of pretty things!

Otherwise, he mostly gets his stuff from work or local specialty nurseries/garden centers. Work is free, specialty garden centers not so much! :p

Other women are football widows in the fall, I'm a garden widow spring/summer/fall. :p;)

Nan

Hi Nan,
I guess I am looking for free advice. We live in Pennsylvania, o the winters get cold. Do you know if I can plant a perennial in an urn, would it come back every year? I am thinking it would freeze too much. Thanks, Melissa

I would love to have an old farm house!!! Have fun!!!

Nan

we are trying buy (need to sell our house first) an old farm house
Which will need alot of TLC but I can see just what I want to do .
I've never ordered trees or plants on line before. But the price is good, I just dont want to buy junk then have to go to the nursery anyway-ya know!

Christie

He's out puttering in the yard (in the rain:eek::p:eek:) now. I will ask, and let you know. I would think it would be ok, because the ground freezes solid and things don't die, but what the heck do I know?

Nan

Hi Nan,
I guess I am looking for free advice. We live in Pennsylvania, o the winters get cold. Do you know if I can plant a perennial in an urn, would it come back every year? I am thinking it would freeze too much. Thanks, Melissa

He says it depends on the plant, how hardy it is, and the size of the pot. A bigger pot is better, or you can insulate the pot. Daylilies, coneflower (echinacea), black eyed susans should be just fine. If it's closer to the house, rather than the middle of the yard, it'll do better, too. It's a half a hair warmer next to the house, a little micro climate. We keep blueberries and raspberries bushes in whiskey barrels and they winter fine (outside of Chicago). We also have a little alberta spruce in a pot (it's the kiddo's) and it does fine, too. You can plant bulbs in pots in the fall and leave them out in the winter and have spring flowers in your pots, too.

Nan

Oh thanks Nan
Its my dream too! Our kids are teenagers almost gone, so it will be mine and my husbands project. I can't sleep thinking about what we can do!
We have it under contract but can't get it if we can't sell our home in the next 2 weeks, it expires
maybe they will extend i"m not sure. We've had ours up for sale for 2 months with NO offers!
I will be devastated if it falls through!
Christie

Oh thanks Nan
Its my dream too! Our kids are teenagers almost gone, so it will be mine and my husbands project. I can't sleep thinking about what we can do!
We have it under contract but can't get it if we can't sell our home in the next 2 weeks, it expires
maybe they will extend i"m not sure. We've had ours up for sale for 2 months with NO offers!
I will be devastated if it falls through!
Christie

Hoping and praying for you, Christie!

He says it depends on the plant, how hardy it is, and the size of the pot. A bigger pot is better, or you can insulate the pot. Daylilies, coneflower (echinacea), black eyed susans should be just fine. If it's closer to the house, rather than the middle of the yard, it'll do better, too. It's a half a hair warmer next to the house, a little micro climate. We keep blueberries and raspberries bushes in whiskey barrels and they winter fine (outside of Chicago). We also have a little alberta spruce in a pot (it's the kiddo's) and it does fine, too. You can plant bulbs in pots in the fall and leave them out in the winter and have spring flowers in your pots, too.

Nan

Hi Nan,
Thank you sooo much. I am going to plant bulb and see what happens. I would think if you do the whiskey barrel, I may be fine.
Melissa

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.