Mega Step Blast from the past!

nivipa

Cathlete
As I was preparing to select my workout for today, I decided I wanted to do a cardio-focused one, since I had done High Step Challenge yesterday. I knew I didn't want to do an interval workout, since I'd done IMAX 3 ony a few days ago. So I looked and looked at my DVDs, waiting for inspiration to strike.

Then I decided to look down, onto the shelf where my Cathe VHSes are hanging out. Well, why not pop one of those in - I haven't done them for ages! The earliest workout I have that is all cardio is MSB from '94.

Like many of her early works, this one is divded into three separate sections. As I worked through the first one, I remembered when I was new to it (and Cathe - this was the second workout of hers that I dared try), and how very, very tough it was for my on my 4" board. Now I was going through it on 8", and while I felt my heartrate was rising, it wasn't really pounding in me. I was starting to think that, perhaps, I should tack on another workout later in the day, to be sure I got a good sweat in.

As we came to the end of the first section, she had us do a heartrate check. While I didn't feel I was working all that hard, I counted 27 beats, which fit right in to the prescribed range for my age. Then we went on to section two, with "more high impact." Okay, here we go. Several side-ups and continuous over-the-tops. Now several alternating knees where she teaches us (!) hop-turns. By the time the whole combination is put together, I'm ready for this to be our last run-through. (It's in this section, too, where she says one of my favorite Cathe-isms: "I know you're not low freaks!")

Ah, but of course, here's the traditional closing section (the "leg and bun burner") with the step turned vertically. A long series of A-steps, ricochets (eight-in-a-row per side), dynamic outer-thighs, power-Ts, and an overly long lunge section (boy, do I recall the days when lunges were the meanest, hardest things she threw at me - and I would just cringe and have to stop hopping!) eventually had me spent.

Yes, I could do this workout with success - no need to pause the tape or modify the moves - in a way that I only dreamed I could do earlier in my fitness career. But I was dripping sweat by the end, begging for the cool-down (complete with a choreographed routine - I'd nearly forgotten about those!), and in no way did I feel like I had taken a too-easy primrose path for my cardio today.

Yup, that young Cathe (with an equally young Cedie and Rhonda, among a class of seven particpants) could still make me work a smidgen harder than I thought I could, and appreciate the challenge. *After* I was done, of course.

Thanks, Cathe

Mega Step Blast!!!

As I was preparing to select my workout for today, I decided I wanted to do a cardio-focused one, since I had done High Step Challenge yesterday. I knew I didn't want to do an interval workout, since I'd done IMAX 3 ony a few days ago. So I looked and looked at my DVDs, waiting for inspiration to strike.

Then I decided to look down, onto the shelf where my Cathe VHSes are hanging out. Well, why not pop one of those in - I haven't done them for ages! The earliest workout I have that is all cardio is MSB from '94.

Like many of her early works, this one is divded into three separate sections. As I worked through the first one, I remembered when I was new to it (and Cathe - this was the second workout of hers that I dared try), and how very, very tough it was for my on my 4" board. Now I was going through it on 8", and while I felt my heartrate was rising, it wasn't really pounding in me. I was starting to think that, perhaps, I should tack on another workout later in the day, to be sure I got a good sweat in.

As we came to the end of the first section, she had us do a heartrate check. While I didn't feel I was working all that hard, I counted 27 beats, which fit right in to the prescribed range for my age. Then we went on to section two, with "more high impact." Okay, here we go. Several side-ups and continuous over-the-tops. Now several alternating knees where she teaches us (!) hop-turns. By the time the whole combination is put together, I'm ready for this to be our last run-through. (It's in this section, too, where she says one of my favorite Cathe-isms: "I know you're not low freaks!")

Ah, but of course, here's the traditional closing section (the "leg and bun burner") with the step turned vertically. A long series of A-steps, ricochets (eight-in-a-row per side), dynamic outer-thighs, power-Ts, and an overly long lunge section (boy, do I recall the days when lunges were the meanest, hardest things she threw at me - and I would just cringe and have to stop hopping!) eventually had me spent.

Yes, I could do this workout with success - no need to pause the tape or modify the moves - in a way that I only dreamed I could do earlier in my fitness career. But I was dripping sweat by the end, begging for the cool-down (complete with a choreographed routine - I'd nearly forgotten about those!), and in no way did I feel like I had taken a too-easy primrose path for my cardio today.

Yup, that young Cathe (with an equally young Cedie and Rhonda, among a class of seven particpants) could still make me work a smidgen harder than I thought I could, and appreciate the challenge. *After* I was done, of course.

Thanks, Cathe

Wow! What a coincidence ;) I pulled out Mega Step Blast today, I'm adding some of the older step routines to the LIS rotation. So excited to see this post :p I did the Wedding video last week :rolleyes: and looks like I'll be raiding the Cardio Hits as well!

Cathe we loved ya then and we love you even more now, woot!

Hi, Cyn!

I was so excited to see your post saying you've pulled out the classics, too. As I was doing MSB, I was eyeing the Wedding one, I may have to join you in it!

I was at the Disney Road Trip, and sat near you and your awesome husband on the bus to and from the dessert/fireworks party :)

Nicole

MSB? Oh my golly, that used to be one of my very favs! Def a BLAST from the past!!! And, the Wedding video was right up there too! :eek:

MSB cover ;)

Is that the same as Step Blast on the DVD with SJP? or is it a different workout? I love SB!!!

RB...here's hint (lace leotards *wink*) :p

Hi, Cyn!

I was so excited to see your post saying you've pulled out the classics, too. As I was doing MSB, I was eyeing the Wedding one, I may have to join you in it!

I was at the Disney Road Trip, and sat near you and your awesome husband on the bus to and from the dessert/fireworks party :)

Nicole

Hi Nicole - Nice to know (your forum id) & who I'm replying to. Wasn't Epcot & Disney awesome? You're one of the few who actually saw my elusive dh.:eek: Even my good friend Deb (debbieh) hasn't met him yet...just talked on the phone :eek: with him a few times! He's only in the last group photo that we took after the fireworks when we arrived back at the Coronado Ballroom ♥

Attachments

• Cathe Mega Step Blast Cvr1.jpg
    Cathe Mega Step Blast Cvr1.jpg
    100.1 KB · Views: 49
  • Epcot Fireworks Photo 2011.jpg
    Epcot Fireworks Photo 2011.jpg
    64.6 KB · Views: 43
Last edited:
I know this is off topic, but seeing the group pic makes me long for another road trip: I miss everyone! Dying for details re: the next one (hope there is another one other than NJ: that one always fills up fast and I might not be one of the chosen few who can go).

Road Trip -- Oh Yeah!!!

I know this is off topic, but seeing the group pic makes me long for another road trip: I miss everyone! Dying for details re: the next one (hope there is another one other than NJ: that one always fills up fast and I might not be one of the chosen few who can go).

Hi Sherry,

That's a question you might put in the RT/Ask Cathe forum. Next year can sneak up real quick once the Holidays are over... :p

That RT was an absolute blast, I totally agree! I feel like I was so lucky that was my first, because it was (so I was told) much smaller than most. Now whenever I think WDW, I think Cathe!

And I thought your DH was a very nice, charming guy. I remember him telling me about your frustration not being able to use your new equipment - a treadmill I think it was?

And just as a follow-up, I did the Wedding video yesterday, to keep the classics going. "We'll show that Wonderbra!"

I still enjoy Mega Step Blast. Cathe was more relaxed in style back then. I love the music and I still smile when she says "Make Your Body Look Hot"! I wish it had made it to DVD. I bought 2 VHS copies so I would have a back up.

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.