Low Carbers & Friends - May 2012

I think I'm the only one in the country enjoying the spring weather :p! It's gonna get hot enough soon enough - I'm in no hurry to rush it ;). I just wish we could get some rain - or even snow!!!

Snow is not unusual for us this time of year but normally it's more rain. However, we're getting neither :(. Traditionally, next week should be rainy but... The first year I planted garden (on Memorial Day) I planted in a snow/rain mix. And my first year here (over 20 years ago), there were snow flurries on the 4th of July. So nothing is impossible :p!

Same here. I just don't want it? of course it is nice and cloudy today but no rain.

Yeah, we're getting lots of cloudy, cool days with no rain, too. At least the sun isn't brightly burning everything up, though, so there is a silver lining to those clouds :p.

I'm still here... Not that that's exciting, IMHO :p. I'm just far too predictable :rolleyes:.

What's new with you, Rhea :)?

But predictable is good Lita!!

I've been sewing more than working out. Been very lazy on the workout front. Not up in the mornings, etc, etc. I just have to settle myself down, get a rotation going and then do it.

At least it is warmer here! Whoo hoo!

Well yes, predictable can be boring but good ;).

I think if I could do it, I would rather sew, too :p. Right now it's so hard to get the workouts in :eek:. Too bad we couldn't save "credit" for all those years we exercised extra days, right :D?

Hi babes! Thank you for starting the May thread Lita! I think we are finally on the upswing of warmer weather. At least for this week. :p And we may not have rain on the 4th of July here, but there have plenty of them where I've worn a sweatshirt and jeans and froze!

Still, I think I'll take that over the heat. It's already in the 80s everyday where my dad lives. And poor BB was laying on the floor of my car with the a/c blasting yesterday after a jog around the lake. It was 75. He's not a warm weather little guy! (Today was 65).

I can really relate to the lack of motivation to workout! We gave up on Chalene. So I introduced the first half of Afterburn to my workout partners. They felt the pain for sure! But it's a challenge to find workouts to do at work that don't require a lot of equipment...

Hope you have a warm, stress-free, workout motivating week babes! Oh! Any word on Cathe's new workouts? I haven't read her weekly newsletter in a while. :rolleyes:

Glad you could pop in, Tracy :cool:! I'd rather take the cool, too - I think I'm in sync with BB :p! Anything over 73 or so and I'm toast :eek:. Hard to believe I used to love the 90s :eek:! I think they'll soon be filming the new workouts - that's the last I remember reading. Gosh, it seems like forever since I've done Afterburn. But I'm already turning on the fan for GS so I think the more cardio based workouts are on hold until fall ;).

wow, I can't believe that 1/2 the month is over. I don't think I posted at all so far!

We have nice weather here, been in the 70s this week and we have rain too. Tomato plants that came up on their own are looking good. Things are very busy here, it's almost overwhelming. End of year for my son's school, we've had concerts, awards and it's still not over. One tonight and on Sunday. Also, my dad's 80th bday and Mother's Day. We were going to go to a wedding this weekend for DH's niece, but it's a 7 hr drive and we have so much going on it would just have pushed us over the edge, so we aren't going. We were also going to paint the kitchen, I'm taking a week off work the first week of June but we cancelled that too because we just need some down time and don't need to drive ourselves crazy.

So I did finish up STS. I did a week of 4DS (I like that series) and a week of S&H. Now I have to decide what to do next.

Lita, I hope you get some rain out there. So, how did you decide to move out there from PA? DH really wants to move west, we can't do it now, but I just don't know how to figure out where to move, especially coming from the other side of the country, weather is so different here. Any tips?

Hey, Melinda, it's great to see you :cool:! My gosh your days sound busy :eek:! You've exhausted me just thinking about all that :p!

As for moving west... I desperately needed to get away from my ex husband and ex boyfriend (a term that sounds really stupid for middle aged people but...), the economy back there was raunchy and I was working a full time plus 3 part time jobs and still was barely making it. I just needed to get away from it all and the only person I knew out of the state lived here. I had very little to move and was willing to take whatever work I could get so... my Shadow and I packed up out meager belongings, rented a Ryder and hit the road. I came thinking that if I didn't like it, I could go back to PA. And I actually thought I hated it out here at first, but after a visit back east in the heat & humidity, not to mention all the traffic, the people, etc - I knew my heart now belonged out here. So voila - these 20+ years later I can't imagine ever living anywhere else :).

I was honestly very chicken to move, having never been out of PA but a time or two, and not liking either trip... There's no way I could've picked up cold turkey and just selected a spot. If not for my friend out here, I would never have moved... The sad part is that she and I parted ways not long after I moved out here and are not any longer friends or even acquaintances...

As for advice, I would suggest visiting places you think you might want to go ;). Not everyone can luck into it like I did :eek:... It truly IS a whole different world out here. But I tell you, if you like the outdoors and like hiking, fishing, etc, there's nothing like the wide open West to be able to get out and enjoy without being surrounded by a plethora of others :). On the other hand, you'll have to accept (if you move to high desert like I did) that the color is not here (no vivid greens or fall colors) and you WILL have to water to have any landscaping and use lotion like crazy if you don't want lizard skin. But for me, that's a very small price to pay for the beauty and quality of life - not to mention the lack of humidity and all the bugs, sweating, and bitter cold that stuff brings!

Okay, enough blathering for now :eek:...

Hi babes! Melinda, my dad turned 80 in March! 1932 was a popular year to be born I say! :D I think you were wise to cancel those things on your calendar, it's important not to go over the mental edge!

I moved to the NW from CA in 1990 and it was as if I moved across the country. CA isn't even aware that Oregon and Washington exist! My ex hubby and I stayed with his aunt and uncle until we got our bearings, but one of us had a job waiting for us when we arrived. (Not me, him.) I agree with Lita in that you should take a trip out west first to see what you like. And then search for relatives or friends who can guide your way.

Lita, I remember reading once that friends can be a part of your life for a season or a reason and after that reason is resolved, the friendship can end. And it's all OK. :)

I introduced the GS Chest and Tricep premix to one of my workout partners today. I am expecting her to curse me tomorrow. And we have the GS Back, Biceps and Shoulder premix tomorrow! :D Been running with BB too when I get a chance.

TGIF babes!

Tracy - It took me a lot of years to figure that out :p. I still miss old friends, though - maybe because I lead such an insulated life now ;). I'm pretty sure according to CA (and NY & FL) there ARE no other states in the nation :D. Shoot - even the weather channel finds it difficult to locate more than a handful of them ;).

BTW, my dad was born in '32, too :eek:!

Rhea, what about your dad?

Lita and Tracy, that is excellent advice and I love hearing your stories. It really helps. So I guess I'll come visit you Lita and you can show us the ropes! ;) Just kidding. We have 1 more year with our son in high school and my mom begged us not to move until they died. Hmm, lots of pressure. The economy stinks here, I feel trapped with my job, DH is into hating his again since 2 people quit and they dumped all that work on him and he is almost frozen with being overwhelmed. He told his boss and they said they didn't think he had too much work, so what do you do after that. DH said, "___ was a basket case before he left, his head was shaking and he spoke so fast I could never get any info that would help me." no response from the manager

OK, so I hope this doesn't sound bad, but one of my concerns for moving to smaller town was people treating you like an outsider. Is that true? Kinda true?

DH's brother lives in Denver. We were thinking of taking a big driving trip in a few years to scope things out, so we can get a feel for things. I'd like to see CO. Our friend is moving to AZ, I think a lot of people from this part of the country move there. Our son did that wilderness camp in southern UT a few years ago and we loved it there. DH keeps saying he wants to move to UT.

All this is good info. If you have any more to share, I'd love to hear it.

Gosh, I feel so bad for both of you, Melinda! I've felt trapped before and even had one job that had me crying every night when I went home... Not good :(. On top of that, I'm sorry your mom is putting pressure on you to stay - that's quite a burden to carry when you're not happy where you are :confused:!

Small towns ... On one hand, yes, they can be kinda cliquish. But by the same token, people step up to help a lot quicker in a small town, IMHO. As for where I am, it is filled with so many transplants that the feeling of isolation isn't nearly as bad as other places where people stay for generations. Sure, we have some families here that have been here for decades, but they're not the majority.

Of course, this town has changed since I've been here, as they all do. It's not nearly as small as it was :( but it is still small compared to most the country. (But if we're too crowded, a neighboring town has about 300 residents and one just a bit further than that has 5 - so there ARE smaller places to be had ;).)

I would think CO, WA, and OR would be more what you're used to. They would have more mountains but they'd also have a lot of the moisture and color you're used to. However, since I've never been to these states, maybe I shouldn't say that :p. As for Utah - hmmm, other than the Mormons, I don't know much about it. I think it has some beautiful spots but I'm not sure about their climate. I think AZ would not appeal to me at all - not just even more desert than where I am, but a plethora of creepy things like tarantulas, scorpions and a host of other critters I can do without :eek:!!!

Hello all. I'm off for a little while and you are just talking away. (well, off the forums, I haven't been checking lately)

Melinda - I'm a native Californian, so no help here. I just moved around the state.

Lita - my dad was born in 1938, so a few years younger.

Weather here has been great. I'm now in San Francisco, so I was a little cold yesterday. During the day is okay, people here think it is cold, but not to this mountain gal.

Have a great rest of the weekend everyone.

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.