Low Carbers & Friends - June 2012

Yeah, where is everyone? I've been busy trying to get ready for the challenge, run the office and eat healthy. Not as easy as it sounds. So I'm just plugging away. At home, I've been trying to get the curtains for the house done. Not hard to do, just time consuming. Of course, there is the constant dog hair, cat hair clean up! I swear, they look at you and shed. lol

Hope everyone is doing great. It is finally warmer here, in fact today it is down right hot.

Hi, Rhea :cool:! So glad you popped in :D! I was starting to hear echoes in here :p! I assume, wonder woman that you are, that you're making your own curtains? You never cease to amaze me :eek:! Ah yes, good old animal hair :rolleyes:.... A lot of places are hot - I'm hoping the heat stays everywhere else and leaves me alone ;)!

Hello! We had a HOT Memorial Day weekend. It was in 90s and humid, of course. So not so fun. Now it is cooler. We've been biking and I've been switching out weight workouts, doing 4DS, slow and heavy and gym style. I was going to do a rotation, but just can't get into it. I throw in a low impact workout every now and then. We biked 79 miles in May

we shaved one of our cats. It's a hack job, she looks pittyful. But her fur is like cotton, she goes outside, crawls under fenses, gets mud and plant stuff in it and these matted wads of fur. So we buzzed her, not down to the skin, but took quite a bit off. She is one tiny cat, it's just the fur that makes her look big. It did cut down on the shedding, but not completely. Stuff still comes out of her!

Oh my Melinda! My cats would be sooo pissed if I shaved them. I get yelled at as it is, can't imagine the whining that would go one with a shave! lol

Hey didn't someone have a birthday just the other day? Or am I getting Tracy mixed up with Ms. Jeanie?

Hi, Melinda :D! Glad to see you! I can't get into a rotation either. My motivation is sorely lacking :rolleyes:.

Rhea - Jeanie's birthday was May 27th. Tracy's birthday is next week on the 7th. And of course, we know who has a birthday on the 19th, too :p!

Hi babes! Thank you for starting the June thread Lita! :D

This week was pretty crazy so I wasn't able to pop in. Stuff to do at the property and after work committments. I didn't get much working out in at all either but I'm not going to worry about it. :) I'm just doing what I can!

The foundation has been poured for the house--yippee! DH and I have to do some drainage work this weekend for it.

BB collects any possible debris he can from the great outdoors but his fur isn't as fine as your kitttie's fur is Melinda. We just constantly brush the little guy. Good thing he likes it! He used to run from us when we had a brush when he was a pup!

I miss bike riding. But since BB can't reach the pedals, we run instead. Maybe when he gets a companion DH and I can pick it up again.

Have a great weekend babes and here's to a healthy week! :cool:

Tracy - You're welcome :D! And thank you for always thanking me :p! Congratulations on getting that foundation poured :cool: :cool: :cool:!!!!! That's hopefully going to help make Thursday and even happier day of celebration for you ;)!

Thanks Lita -I thought I had it mixed up. BTW, have you ever had the nutritional breakdown for our flax/protein muffins? I tried to put them in my 'Cookin' program, but it still came up a gazillion calories. I guess I don't know how to make the servings properly in the recipe.

Started the challenge today! Rolled out of bed at 4:04 and did STS Disc 1. I forgot how much I don't really like the first disc (some changes too fast and all those pushups!) At least you only have to do it once. lol

Rhea, believe it or not, not only have we shaved this cat, but we had to do it to another one of ours a few years ago. It takes both of us to do it. We seem to always have long haired cats with "issues". The other one would always get poop in the back, so we'd have to shave his butt.

Has anyone ever tried Raspberry Keytones? Dr. Oz talked about them, he says it's safe and it's suppose to burn fat. So I tried one today. It says if you can't sleep to not take them, well, I had one at 10am and still feel wired. Not sure if I'll be able to do this. I find it harder and harder to not feel hungry. I don't like it at all! I have also realized that I use chocolate to sooth myself more than I was aware, until recently I was eating quite a bit. Now I'm trying to cut way back and it's driving me crazy. I am using it to cope!

Tracy, glad ot hear the foundtion is poored! Yea!

Happy Birthday to everyone!

Rhea - I have several different calculations depending on the brand/type of protein powder I'm using at the time. Here is one of the calcs (not sure what flavor you're making or brand protein powder you're using:
Berry Muffins
1c flax
1c plain protein powder (I think this is whey/milk pro conc)
2T Daisy sour cream
1T butter
1T Fiber Fit
2lge eggs
2t guar gum
1T vital wheat gluten
2oz Wmart frozen blackberries
2oz Wmart frozen raspberries
12 muffins
1 muffin = 97 kcal, 5.1 carbs, 2.99 fiber, 2.1 net carbs, 7.7 pro, 5.01 fat

Note, though, that I didn't count the DaVinci and it looks like I forgot the vanilla extract.

Is any of that close to what you are doing?

You're off to a great start on that challenge :cool:! Gotta tell ya, all those pushups were one reason I sold my STS ;).

Melinda - No, I'm not up on Dr Oz or his recommendations. I can guarantee you that the last thing I need is even less sleep - so I'm pretty sure they're not going to be anything I experiment with ;).

Oooh, thanks Lita. I think that is the recipe or one real close to it. The only ingredient difference I think is the berries and the "fiber fit", the the recipe I have puts vital wheat gluten. But heck, I might try this one! I knew that the calories I got, something like 450, was not right.

Today, I rolled out of bed and actually managed to do a Turbo Jam. Very happy that I didn't trip, fall, or stumble throughout the whole thing. Actually was a bit coordinated. Surprising for a morning workout.

Off to eat my snack! Have a great day everyone.

Rhea - No worries - I knew you'd find it :cool:! Like I said, that doesn't account for the davinci but ... The blueberry values I have are for fresh - not sure if that's what you use. Of course, the frozen berries have a more condensed sugar count. In general, though, you're talking (most likely) about the same carb count if you use fresh blueberries(total 4 oz). The carb count would roughly double if you use 4oz frozen blueberries - but that still brings it less than 5 net carbs per serving.

good morning! Well, I've slept better the past couple nights. Not eating sugar is very hard. OK, I'm not going extreme, my biggest thing is just getting rid of candy and cookies/desserts. So if I'm hungry, I have other food with real nutrients, just not junk.

DH and I are putting up a small section of privacy fense. The neighbors moved out a few months ago, and we want to get it in before new people move in. it is a comical joke almost to watch us work. We have 2 panels in, after various issues. 4 to go. We're doing 2 more tonight and 2 on Fri because Home Depot won't get any more until then.

I counted that as a workout yesterday, it was very heavy work. Doing 4DS legs and shoulders today.

Rhea, are you doing a rotation now? Is it June's?

Lita, do you eat one of these muffins every day for breakfast? Use it as a snack?

Hey there Melinda!

Putting in fence is definately a workout. I'm doing my own type of STS rotation. Well, STS on M,W,F and then cardio on T, Thurs, Sat and Sun is rest day. I'm letting my self adjust to the mornings this week and next and after that I'll probably add an afternoon cardio on STS days.

I have those muffins as part of my snack! Great fiber and yummy. You do have to get used to the nonsweetness of it. I love to add some cream cheese in the middle, but that does pack on the calories.

Melinda - Another vote that fencing is hard work :eek:! As for the muffins, I cut mine into mini portions and have them now and again with heavy cream. It's like having a teeny piece of cobbler :cool:. Unlike Rhea, I add extra sweetener to mine with the cream so it's nice and sweet :eek:....

Last edited:
Hi babes! Putting up fencing is definitely a workout!!! I've been at the property every day just about (took today off due to rain) working on a drainage system but it isn't always a workout. I think I prefer shoveling dirt! :p

Awesome job on your challenge Rhea!!! I'm lacking on the workouts this week due to a somewhat difficult schedule. I did get a run in with BB tonight and did a decent workout on Monday but that's about it. I started a new job at a different division this week and I was so drained on Tuesday that I cut my lunchtime workout short. :rolleyes: I also wanted to do more tonight after my run but I'm tired so I'm skipping it. Will get a workout in tomorrow and hopefully, next week will be better on getting the exercise in. :D

Oh! I did a new Amy Bento workout on Monday that concentrated on leg work. I knew I had neglected my legs a bit but I didn't think I was going to be so sore from it the following day that it hurt to walk! Yikes! :eek:

Have an awesome weekend babes!!

Thanks for all the tips on the muffin recipe. sounds like a better version to have around than the cookies DH keeps baking with butterscotch/chocolate chips and coconut.

The second 2 pieces of fence went up much faster. We had a system down, had tools all ready and supplies at hand. I think it took maybe an hour to 1 1/2 hr. Not bad. Tonight we finish! Those fence panels are so heavy, I can barely move them around. Definitely hitting my max on strength.

Have a good weekend!

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.