Low Carbers and Friends - 2nd quarter 2015

Happy Easter, everyone! Lita, thanks for starting the new thread!

Made it through the first 3 days of the job. The first 2 I was a bit overwhelmed, third day started to get some thing set up, like email, payroll. There is so much to do to orient, it will take some time, but stress level way down from day 1 & 2. It really is me more than anything, I just am so serious and feel like I have to do it all the first day, I know, CRAZY! Anyways, the people are so nice there, friendly, welcoming. It is a non-profit group, I've never worked for one before, big difference, in a good way. And the group is about reaching seniors in the community and keeping them in their homes, which is important to me.

As for exercise, I got a couple days in. Also just used the shortened premixes. My sister was having some emotional issues, so we picked up her 6 yr old daughter. She has been here for 3 days (during spring break). She will go back home tomorrow after Easter dinner. I think my sister is feeling better now. It seems when it rains it pours!

Here's hoping for a good week next week.

Melinda - Congrats on getting those beginning rocky days in :D! I'm the same way so I understand wanting to know how to do it all and right away at that :p. I am glad you're enjoying it so far - fingers crossed it gets better every day :)! Hope your sister is doing better!

I'm amazed you had the energy for workouts - you go, girl :cool:!

Hi babes! Thank you for starting the new thread Lita!

Congratulations on getting through your first days of your new job Melinda! I remember when I started my current one that I couldn't wait for time to fly so I would know enough to be helpful. :D Time has flown but I'm not so sure I know enough to be helpful, LOL!

Thank you for your kind words ladies! Gotta credit my mum on the genes she gave me. :)

Ooooh, now I'm nervous to do some endurance workouts! :eek: Today I was lucky to get a short workout in and the 21 Day Fix stuff were all 1/2 hour workouts. I'll be taking a few days to psych myself up for any of those endurance ones! But the pause button is my best friend and I'm not afraid to use it!

Haave a health week fit babes!

Tracy - So good to 'see' you :cool:! Afterburn was still tough this week - but at least it was a smidge easier than last week ;). And when I do Afterburn tomorrow, I'm going lighter on the wts on the squats w/ overhead press - there must be a 1000 of those blasted things :eek:! Once I get past those, it will be much better :p. But on the bright side, those 2 workouts made Super Cuts seem MUCH easier :D!

I'm sure you'll do great getting back into endurance. You've always been better at it than I have - but then I think 99.9% of the population is better at it than I am :rolleyes:.

Lita, I found that I just do very light wts on afterburn and sometimes, none at all. Then I do heavy wts on a total wt workout. I enjoy afterburn more this way because if I remember correctly, she moves quickly through the reps, too fast for me to go heavier.

Tracy, if you can go up all those stairs, you have to already have some endurance, so I'm guessing you will do fine.

End of week 2 is tomorrow. I was way less stressed, but still freaking out at moments. April is going to be a long month! TGIF (tomorrow)!

Melinda - I have decided to go really light, especially on all the shoulder work - which Cathe does tons of. Since I'm not doing heavy wt work now (doing an entire endurance rotation), I figure all the full-body moves in these workouts just have to be good enough. I'm not going to do endurance forever - just a month or so. More than that would kill me :p ;)! This week Athletic Training (the first 1/3 or 1/2) seemed even harder than Afterburn. Jeez :rolleyes:.

Hang in there - you'll be feeling just fine and all settled in before the end of the month :cool:! I just know it :D!

Lita, thanks for the vote of confidence. After 8 days of work, definitely doing better :oops:

Well, I finally took a look at the FB clip of a live class. I was relieved to see that the people doing the workout look like me (in their form) when working out. I do not jump as high as Cathe, nor do I ever touch the ground when she has anything like that. And for burpees, I use the step to put my hand on. I'm going to blame it on long legs, ha!

Watched another clip of a workout and was interested in it. Cathe had some deal of the day. So I clicked to see the name and I guess I already have the workout. I think I have some of her dvds that came in sets that I have never done. I need to sift through them and give them a try to give myself some variety!

Melinda - Good for you :cool:! Re: the step for burpees... I tried this past week to not use the step but seriously, I think leg length is an issue for me, too. Without the step, I am way too hunched up - and my hips do NOT like the angle :eek:! So today I did the burpees w/ the step and one riser (before I was using more risers). That felt like a pretty good angle even if my hip did a bunch of popping :rolleyes:.

I'm sure by day 18 you'll be settled in :D :D :D!

Hi fit babes! Lita, did you find an endurance rotation to do or did you put one together? Other than your hip popping, it's been OK I take it? I know you had to wait until spring to do any workouts for your lower body and you picked some doozies! I did Afterburn last week in honor of you and I stopped the DVD at least 3 times...

Melinda, I am glad you are getting settled into your job but understand that April is a long month. Heck, it's a long month for me too, hee hee! Having to put in some overtime and don't like doing that. If I'm doing that, it's 'cause I'm feeling overwhelmed and have too many deadlines I'm not meeting. Everyone has been understanding but that doesn't make the work go away!

I have resumed the last half of the Rw/H-X-Train rotation this week, and the cardio is a bit kinder! Next week won't be at all.

There are definitely people on Cathe's RTs that don't keep up with her. Me for one! But there are others too. You're not alone in that either Melinda!

Here's to a great rest of your week and upcoming weekend!!

Tracy - I just made my own from XT and LIS. Primarily I've been doing Afterburn, Ath Training, Super Cuts, CSS, S&G. I did do AOHiiT (once) and Hd Str (once) and one week I was so tired from TB workouts that I threw in TBT Upper and Lower and skipped two TB workouts.

I've been doing Afterburn and Ath Training every week - then one week I do SC and the other week I do CSS and S&G since both have weights in too. So I am getting 3 - 4 total body workouts in plus a cardio or 5th total body. Gotta tell ya - but the end of the week, my legs are fried!

I went right back into lower body workouts the day after my surgery :). I have to watch poundage but ROM is drastically improved. I'll never be able to do heavy wts again for the lower but I'd rather have ROM to do the full move w/ lighter wts than to go really heavy on just a portion of the mov't.

Thanks for letting me know you had to stop the DVD too :D!!!!!! That makes me feel much better :cool:! Over the weeks I've gone lighter in wt so I'm not stopping quite as often. On one hand I feel bad but really, with the lighter wts, I can do deeper ROM and I'd rather work on that than to heavy up for a 1000 shoulder presses ;). It's so nice to know others struggle too! (Not that I'm happy people struggle - just that it makes me feel good to not be the only one sucking wind :p!)

(((Hugs))) to you on the job stress! Hopefully you'll soon get caught up!

Good morning all! I go away for a little while and look how talky you guys get, geeze.

Lita - there are days that I look at Cathe and say....are you kidding me? I can't breathe right now. I stop the dvd and pace. (one way to get my steps in huh?)

Melinda - glad you are enjoying your new job. You will be a pro at it in no time at all. Can't believe that you still managed to get the workouts in during that first week. I'd be pooped.

Tracy - hopefully you get lots of pay for that overtime!

So, me, I took last week off from weights, was supposed to be my last week in the STS endurance, but I just didn't feel like working out, so most of the week was off, and off of even work. I just didn't want to drive in (DH had spring break) So I enjoyed a bunch of me time since DH was busy clearing our other lot and totally out of my hair. LOL

I started back up the last week of Endurance and just have the legs disc to go. I really a pushing myself to do what the workout card says. On some exercises, it seems almost too easy and on others a little to heavy. I might take next week off of STS just so I can get some more recent one rep max taken. It will be more accurate if I actually know what that one rep is...especially on some of the exercises which I've been surprised on my strength. I might have to do Afterburn since everyone else has.....

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Rhea - So glad to 'see' you :D! And so happy you took some time off :cool:!!! What a great idea - you can do Afterburn and then tell Tracy and me how hard it was so we feel better :p ;)!

No problem, I slightly remember calling it Arseburn after doing it....

LOL, Rhea :p :D :p :D!!!!!

I've decided I'm rounding out my endurance month with TBT (upper and lower), CSS, S&G, and one other cardio/TB workout. I just can't stand the thought of tackling Afterburn and Ath Training again :eek:....

Hi everyone,

OK, I'll jump in on the Afterburn comments. I am getting to the point that I use pretty light wts, like 5# and can make it through ok, except for some of that drag yourself across the floor exercise stuff, LOL!

Lita, I agree with you, I want ROM and am fine with lighter wts to do it. I use to go heavy then wouldn't go as deep (not that I do that much anyways), but I think just getting in that ROM helps with daily life activities, so has value in it.

Tracy, I hope you are all caught up with work and can get some comp time for that over time.

Rhea, sounds like a nice week of R&R!

So the true test to RWH was given yesterday. We biked on one trail that DH likes but it a killer for me because a particular hill that is steep and long. Last year, I had to put the bike on the lowest gear and even at that almost fell off the bike several times. WELL... I did the hill last night and did not have to shift so low and made it to the top before DH (which was usually not the case) and I did not feel like vomiting! Of course, I have big time DOMS early this a.m., but I was very happy about this accomplishment. Last year I would dread that hill!

Melinda - That is awesome :D :cool: :D :cool:!!!!!!!!! My hat's off to you - no way would I ever want to challenge you to a bike race :p! And I agree - to me, the ROM is most important, not the poundage :). It's the ROM (and balance) that disappears as we age so better latch onto it all we can ;)!

Wow Melinda! Great job on the hill. I don't particularly like hills either. DOMS always gets me the next day. I do have the tendency to get going real fast downhill first so I can make it up the hill with less effort. LOL (doesn't always work either :( )

ROM is definately more important for us aging peeps. That is why I like PIYO, but lately just have avoided it and Yoga.....don't know why, just haven't made the time. I think it is the golf bug that has gotten to me.....golfed Friday, Saturday and even yesterday when we got home. Supposed to work out when we get home today, but the weather is still holding out and it is suppose to be about 73 in Chester; plus I can leave earliesh since my deputy can do the court stuff at 4 pm; I might just have to golf. DH texted me back after I told him and he said I was hooked. duh. I like when I can hit the ball.....in the right direction and pretty far. I don't want to lose my momentum! LOL

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.