Lost a small pet today. . .Feeling bad

DeborahG

Cathlete
She was just a lizard, but I still feel sad when I see her empty tank. We got her at a big pet store and relied on the advice of the store employees on how to set up her house and how to feed her. I learned after she became very sick/disabled that much of the advice we were following was not very good, and I changed what needed to be changed, but it was too late.

If I had researched on my own how to care for her from the start, I doubt she would have every become so sick. Looking back, I don't know why I just assumed what they were telling us to do at a huge pet store was necessarily correct.

I did what I could to help her along when she got sick. I started feeding her her crickets/worms by hand, and, for the past many weeks, I've had to feed her baby food with a dropper every day. I gave her baths to help her feel better and talked to her a lot every day, but I knew she wouldn't make it.

I feel like she had a terrible life because we blindly followed bad advice, even if we had her best interests in mind. Dumb me. Poor Lizzy. I hope she forgives me.

I know it's just a lizard, but I feel bad about it.

Thanks for listening.

Deborah

Deborah - don't beat yourself up. You would assume, rightfully so, that the store employees would know what they were talking about. It sounds like you gave Lizzy an excellent life and took great care of her to the end. Just because she was a lizzard doesn't mean that you should feel any less sad about her passing...she was your pet. I cried when we lost Christopher, our fish. They have personalities just like cats and dogs. {{{{{HUGS, DEBORAH}}}}}

The tiny ones are worth mourning, when we lose them; we lost my eight year old goldfish Phillip just recently, and I still can't bring myself to get another fish for my poor Oscar Felix, who was only six (but a foot long), who died almost a year ago. Both were also handfed, and spoiled. They knew me, and I'm sure Lizzie knew you.

All you can do is your best to give a good home.

{{{Hugs}}}

Awww, that's so sad :( But please stop beating yourself up. How could you know. I would be sure to let the store know later that they gave bad advise.

Awe, I'm sorry Deborah! :( I lost a crested gecko when I was younger for the same reason - following pet store advice. I've learned that in almost all situations, they do not know what they are talking about! What kind of lizard did you have? I have geckos, beardies, and a uro. So, they aren't "just" lizards to me either. :)

Sorry for your loss. Don't beat yourself up. I cried for 2 days after our first bun died which could have been possibly prevented if we got her to the vet fast enough.:(

((((((Deb))))))
I am so sorry for your loss. No matter how "small" a loved one is, it still hurts. I hope your spirits are rising. I am so sorry.

Thank you all for your kind words. I am feeling better today, due in no small part to your responses.

Liann, Lizzy was a bearded dragon. I feel like I'm better able to care for one after doing so much research after she got sick. (She had metabolic bone disease as well as other problems.) I think I will get another beardie one of these days and care for her/him correctly, in honor of Lizzy. If there are any websites or books you've found particularly good regarding their care, please let me know. I will not make the same mistakes the pet store suggested, and I will definitely tell the pet store about the poor advice I received (although I doubt it will change anything).

Thanks again, everyone. And happy trails, Lizzy!

Have a great day,
Deborah

Thanks so much, Liann. The book is in my Amazon shopping cart, and I plan on reading it cover-to-cover before I get another beardie. (I'm tempted to buy a copy for the pet store employees while I'm at it, so they won't give any more bad advice that may lead to another dead beardie.)

Thanks again, and have a great day,
Deborah

{{{Deborah}}}}
I'm sorry for your loss.
I never think of any creature that was loved as "just" something.

That store definitely needs to know that bad advice was given. It almost sounds like something they could get sued over.

For your next lizard, could you find one through an adoption agency or rescue center rather than that store?

Thanks, Kathryn. I really like your idea of looking into getting my next dragon from a more "ethical" or caring source. I definitely plan on looking into that possibility. I'm not certain, but I think Lizzy was not 100% right when I bought her, because (as I later learned) the store didn't have proper lighting (probably like many of the large chains). They also had some lizards in way too small containers, and, although I know the thinking is that it is just for a short period of time until they are sold, some of those lizards are there for quite a while before being purchased. I hate the idea of buying there again (except that I'd probably end up "saving" one of those poor guys if I did).

As for Lizzy, she is resting peacefully in her tiny grave in my back yard, which my DD so kindly decorated with drawings and easter eggs.

Thanks again for your kind words and your great ideas.

Have a wonderful night,
Deborah

Deborah, I am so sorry for your loss. Any pet is a member of our family and we feel the pain when they are gone. You did everything you could based on the information you were given. My heart goes out to you. ((((( Hugs )))))

Bam

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.