Lifting like girls

Good Morning Iron Warriors! Arm day is getting better and better! Upped weights again and no I'll effects..I knew it was there, but no real discomfort. I did supersets, all dumbbell, curls 30s 3x10/ skullcrushers, 40s, 3x12, then curls, 35s, 3x8,/ skullcrushers, 45s, 3x10. Then conc curls, 35s, 3x8/ tri crossbody, 35s, 3x8. Then I finished arms with 21s, used 20s, but should have gone up, 1 set and close grip pushups, 1x25. I threw in some side planks and crunches. I'm trying to " curb my enthusiasm", but this was the best arm day I have had in awhile!!! Lisa, we all need a break from" the planned" once in awhile...don't beat yourself up, your work ethic is without question!! Now. GO GET DISC 10!!!! Have a great one friends!!

Good morning everyone! Tuesday and Friday Workout. It's called Shred Cardio

Warm-up:
Walk at an incline, jog or bike. I used the treadmill (dreadmill, however you want to look at it.)

Stretch Series:
Seated Floor Hamstring Stretch
Quad Stretch
Groin and Back Stretch
Dynamic Chest Stretch
Shoulder Stretch
Seated Glute Stretch
Triceps Stretch
Windmills
Complete each stretch 2X hold for 30 seconds

H.I.I.T. Training:
Recovery speed (level 5) ex. walk
Intermediate (level 7) ex. jog
Sprint (level 10)
AC Rx: Perform as a circuit 10x

Cool-Down
Walk at an incline, jog or bike

Stretch Series:
Same as above

Core:
Jack-knife sit-up
90-degree crunch
Weighted bicycle
90-degree toe taps
Elbow walk
Army crawl
Exercise ball crunch
Isolated crunch
AD Rx: perform as a circuit 3-6X

AC Trainer Tip:
No matter how "hot it is" in the gym, you should have sweats on during the workout to rid the body of toxins and help speed up metabolism.

Feels good to move. I'm enjoying this program. (the whole 2 days I've done it)
Hang in there Lisa, I know what you mean. Great job everyone!

Take care!

Last edited:
Karen, it's cold enough in my 'gym' that I'm always in sweats! That workout seems very fractionally more do-able than the previous, or am I misinterpreting it?

Tom, fab news on the arm workout. Great weights, great exercises. So pleased for you.

Lisa, sometimes you just don't feel the love, right? If you're not feeling it, then you're never going to give your all. Good decision, well made.

Lib, the rebel, I know you have the dedication to push through these final weeks. Thinking of you!

Today I went rogue again!!!! Basically I'm trying to do enough of a workout to eat 'light'. Cardio counts as non-training (read: virtually no carbs). My HTS usually fall somewhere between light and moderate. Moderate days are full of carbs! Anyway, today I did another 'metabolic' workout. Lower body this time. Each superset lasts 5 mins, and you just do as many as you can:
BB lunges x5 each side + walking lunges x10 total
DB squats x5 + stiff leg deads x5
Weighted hip thrusts x5 + 5 pulses
Squat jumps x5 + box jumps (18") x5

Weirdly it was the hip thrusts which 'got' me. Almost no release of tension. 5 minutes felt like eternity.
I then did a Cathe abs routine, then I tried travelfit. Gave up half way because I just wasn't enjoying it. Just seemed to go on and on. Oh well, I'm sure it'll come in useful at some point.

Almost another week over. Great work all

Nice job, Justine. Going rogue is always good. Cardio counts as non-training? Wow, I need to get with RP. Keep up the great work!
Great arm work, Tom. As Justine stated, great weights, great exercises. Good on ya!
Lisa, I agree, sometimes, it's just not there. Good decision, do another workout.
Hang in there, Lib!
Hey Roz, I know your killin' it!

Tubby Tommy? Hardly! You're getting the bulk you wanted, and hey, I'd be happy to be your Commando cardio suggestion person! ;) So very glad about your elbows cooperating. Injuries are the worst but you were very smart about it so hopefully you'll have many days of pain-free curls and presses and whatnot in your future!

Justine, supersets are tough! That's what you choose to do on a rogue workout?!?! LOL! Funny how those sleeper moves are the real killers. Hip thrusts can look so innocent...on paper. Does your eating plan limit your veggie-based carbs? I imagine fruit is probably limited.

Karen, you GO! It's only been 2 days, but isn't it only a 28 day program? Good thing you're loving it right out of the gate!

Okay, confession time: I just could.not.do.it. No no no. Didn't wanna do disc 10. I actually 'confessed' to my DH last night that I think I'm done with STS for now. Good thing he already knows I'm nutzo. I did wanna do GS Chest and Triceps, so I did that. I think I'll round out the week with a Cathe Live and GS Back Shoulders Biceps. I'm excited to do that. See, Justine? This is why I can't do rotations! :)

Roz, Lib, HI!

Good day to y'all.

Hi everyone!
It's been such a busy spring for us so I'm hoping we'll have some more chill time in the summer.

Holy moly. I'm three days into Mesocycle 2 of the Renaissance Periodization Female Physique Templates and I'm definitely feeling it. I think the biggest thing is that I chose a lot of new exercises from Meso 1 (it's recommended to do so), but in Meso 1 I tended towards the variations I'm more familiar/train more frequently so in Meso 2 I'm doing less familiar stuff. Nothing crazy and still some repeat exercises from last month. But yesterday's leg workouts was 3 sets of BB sumo squats (wasn't really sure what a good working weight was for these, ended up at 145# for 10+ reps), 2 sets of feet forward close-stance BB squats (ditto, weight-wise), 3 sets low bar good mornings (I can never find the right weight for these -- it's either too light or awkward/i can't do full ROM -- for high reps 85 is too light and 105 too heavy), and 2 sets BB glute bridges (10-15 reps each set at 215# -- this is the one repeat exercise in this workout).

Today was UB... some repeat stuff, some new (I'm already feeling the incline DB curls!).

Lisa, when I saw your first message about not wanting to do the DVD I was going to say... don't! Who cares! Totally something I would do. ;) It's not like you're choosing between disc 10 and eating a whole bag of doritos on the couch. You do you! But LOL I have a funny image of you 'confessing' abandoning STS to your DH. :)

Justine, light days are awful. I was so mad during deload. But you need that deload!! Nice thing is the physique templates are always moderate! 6 days a week! :) i'm loving my oatmeal with pb stirred in. are you doing the intra shake and the bedtime casein? (I'm gonna go have my 20g casein + banana + 2 servings pb right now!)

Karen, I am crying reading your workout. Beast mode! I love it. Are those BB clean and presses?

Tom, great work and congrats on your gainz! That's great news! We were worried about you there. And great job on your workouts, as always!
If you have a commute and want to listen to a podcast, you might enjoy this podcast. Interesting stuff to think about re: training frequency.

Lib, you're awesome! You'll get through finals, we're cheering you on!! :)

Take care, everyone.
Roz

I worked in a quickie leg w/o this morning. Kept it real simple, just grabbed a pair of 35s and did deep narrow stance squats x8/ reverse lunges x6, straight leg deads x8/ calf raises x50. I repeated each series three times, and Believe it or not, this seemed hard!! I really need to work on my cardio, just not looking forward to it.Roz, I listened to the podcast last nite, but it stopped at about 20 min..not sure if that was all of it? Was interesting, and he seems to really have a scientific approach to it. I only have my phone so that may be some of the problem! We are heading home today, going to take 2 days and get some out of car time, no need to push it! Have a great weekend Commandos!

Squats and lunges always leave me breathing hard, Tom. 3 sets are plenty. Safe trip home.

Roz, don't torture me with oatmeal and pb mentions.....I'm having to consider cut 3! Am I the only person ever who has managed to lose only a couple of pounds after almost 9 weeks of torture? I'd have thought giving up wine would account for at least 10lbs!!!! Not fair! Seriously, though, I'm really looking forward to the fp templates. I've got it all planned out (lol) and will do 6x per week for the first meso, and see how I go.

Lisa, I am getting a feel for how severe your w/o adhd is!

Karen, how are the workouts feeling?

Hi lib!

Today was deadlifts. Much better than last week (I had lots of carbs yesterday), and I was lifting 105kg. I'm ok with that, although I'd like to nudge it up to 107 next week. We'll see. Also DB chest press and preacher curls, both felt OK. But bear squats (3x30) kill me!

My Commando friends, we have family in town so I apologize for being short. I will also be MIA until Monday, and then I have some vacations and other things planned which will probably keep me away from the forums until May 14-ish. Crazy!

Roz, I knew you would have my back! I was actually thinking of you as I was talking myself down from the ledge, knowing that you'd tell me to just do what I wanted to do because life is too short to do otherwise. So, thanks, as always for being a rockstar in my life. :)

So, today was Get Steppin (maybe?), the most recent step from Cathe Live. It had been awhile since I'd done some step so I was itching for some mambos and cha-chas! Tomorrow will be GS BSB.

Tom, safe travels!!! 35# dbs can give you a good workout, no doubt about it!

Justine, you've given up wine?!?!? This IS serious! I had no idea. I'm convinced your scale is getting confused by your lean muscle mass.

Karen, hi!

Lib, keep working it! High fives to you.

TGIF!

Tonight was my induction to the Phi Kappa Phi Honor Society. I spent over half an hour trying to find something that fit right. I see changes in my body, but when I look at the pictures my friend took, all I see is fat. I am so tired of this. I thought there was more of a difference.

Really trying not to be discouraged right now. I know I have made changes, but now I see why few others have noticed. Ugh!

I am NOT giving up! I will get through these next two weeks, then push as hard as I can all summer. It took me over two years to get this size, so I can't expect it to drop over night. Plus it's only been two weeks with the intense cardio.....thanks for letting me explode, and talk it out. I feel better (somewhat) now.

Lib, 6# down, your son can see abs. You can do Cathe workouts. So what if a photo wasn't what you'd hoped.
Sometimes we feel big changes. We know they've been made. It just takes a bit for it to show to the same extent as the effort we've put in. Hang in there, we are in your camp!!

Crossfire is awesome!
You've got this. X
Today's deal was total body trisets, and discount bundle for to the max and cross fire. So grabbed both with ripped with hiit, for another 20% off.

Proud to say the fat pic got me workouts instead of in the fast food isle!!
Lib, it's hard to NOT get discouraged when you see a pic that is less than flattering. In mirrors, sometimes I'm Arnold, sometimes I'm Don Knotts!! I don't know why, but it just is. What you have accomplished is no less than amazing, especially considering everything else that's on your plate! Your changes are real, and one pic is not an indicator of your fantastic improvements! The muscle you have added will continue to eat away the superficial cover, and if you " stay the course". the results will show even on the lousiest picture!!

Don't feel guilty, lib. That's what we're here for. I'm having the ,it's frustrating time trying to cut at the moment, so I feel for you.

Yesterday was HTS with elevator squats, military press, rows, step ups and lat raises. Nothing worth reporting, although I felt quite pleased with my performance.

Today I did a metabolic circuit (another jade teta one). 5 minutes of: 10x mountain climbers + 10x squat jumps + 10 sit ups, circuit fashion until the 5 minutes is over. Then rdls + squat presses descending ladder from 10 each for 5 minutes. Then 5xlateral raise + 5x oh press + 5x front raise + 5x rear delt flyes, again 5 minutes. Finally back to the first circuit, but with high knees rather than mountain climbers. Great little workout. The shoulder circuit being the toughest for me.

I then added a hiit workout I found online, about 35 mins. Not too difficult, and great to add on to the metabolic stuff.

All in all a good, unusual day!

It's a long weekend here in the uk (May Day bank holiday), so everyone is out and about. Hope you've all had a great weekend.
J

Elevator squats sound frightening!!

Thank you for sharing that, Justine. It is helpful to see such advanced athletes also find themselves in similar thoughts.

I didn't workout yesterday, the day got away from me. Today was to the mat, I feel I could have done better, but not so sure. Think the lingering thoughts are still hiding in my subconscious. But, I did try on a dress yesterday......and then found out is was a small.....and it fit.....okay... Don't get to excited, the style here now is A frame, so it had more room.....but, it felt good.

I am 5'11 and still a size 14(USA) my last weight was 208.....ugh!!!!
But I was an 18 and 215.....more ugh.
So there it is. And now I can move forward and DOWN!!!!

Happy Monday All! Pretty good chest day today, worked up t0 doubles at 195 and 205, dropped to 185 x7, 175 x7x6x5, 155 x8x7x6, and inclined bench, I dropped to 135 3x8. Interestingly enough, this worked out to be an even 100 reps! I did 1 set of pushups x25 and that was "fry time"! I added 2 sets of seated knee ins x35 x25 and rode the airdyne for 1 mile before and 1 mile after the w/o (cardio?) Lisa, I should hire you as my "cardio consultant", but it would probably prove fatal!! Yesterday I did a core day of sorts, and was going to add deads, but 205 felt heavy, and 1 rep at 255 made me realize that deads were NOT going to work ! I did some crunches , 3 sets of side planks and a long set of cable crunches and a little airdyne work. Have a great start to the week friends!

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.