Lifting like girls

Tom, ain't nothing wrong with any workout that includes a PR! Well done, brother!

Justine, yeah I didn't figure dart throwers would need to have admirable physiques. I maintain that darts are only about the beer. Nice work yesterday, hope you enjoyed your rest today and seeing your DD. Hope she's doing OK. The political scene here is nothing short of a circus.

Karen, your workouts are looking short and killer!!! Terrific work. I will keep an eye out in the mail for the Congressional medal of Honor you promised. DD1 is a very amazing soul. She's brilliant and her happy moments are so amazing and the low moments ... there are no words. But I will keep her. She's upstairs in her room right now, belting out Adele's Hello with perfect pitch and rhythm, and she has only ever heard the song on the radio a handful of times. But I think it goes without saying that all children of Commandos are brilliant and amazing.

Hi to Roz and Lib! Roz, I keep forgetting to ask--are you in your cutting phase w/calories now?

I finally tackled my neglected legs, STS disc 6. I adore the STS leg workouts.

take care, all!

Good morning fellow lifters! Leg day for me, 6 sets of squats, all x 8 except last set, 195 x4. 3 sets of reverse lunges with 45s, 3x20 glute bridges 255#, calf raises 195# x30 x20 x20 and single calf raises, no weight x 20 x15 x10. Hoping for a great day for all Commandos, have some fun!!!!

Hello commandos!

I'm paying the price for having been out 4 consecutive nights!!!! Despite 10 hours sleep last night, I've not lifted well today. It was the last day of the first week, month 3 of HTS:

Backwards bear crawl + heel tap step up (ie not pushing off from your foot)
Push up pop press + down dog lunge rotation
Pull ups + bench press
Farmer carries + KB swings

The push up variation was the hardest- one hand on a slam ball, the other coming off the ground at the top of the move, 8 each side. I did my pull ups with a band :(, and the bench press was only at 40kg (4x5). Total of 120 swings @24kg, so that was ok.

Tom, great workout. Heavy squats, and fab hip thrusts - we all know how much you like those!

Lisa, STS legs are great, hey?

Hi all,
On my phone trapped under snoring toddler so sorry if this is terse.
First of all, great work all around.
Monday was squats, worked up to my one long set at 75% (AMRAP), 150# for 20 reps. Then some accessory stuff and 25 mins of an STS plyo legs w/o.
Yesterday I came down with DD's cold, so got out for a walk (it was warm) but that's it.
Today was bench, worked up to my one long set, 97.5 x 10 and accessory work. Feeling down this afternoon so I perked up wits CCC Live, love it. Perfect living room workout. The Sudafed helped.

Lisa, hugs! Sorry to hear about tantrums. Thinking of you and sending my love!

Lib, great work on Cize! I'm always way up in weight at Dr's because if I weigh in at home it's first thing in morning on empty bladder and tummy. Water and food could easily push me up 8#. Go by how your clothes fit, sounds like you're losing fat and gaining muscle at the same time, can't beat that!

Karen, Tom, Justine, I love reading about your awesome workouts (abs dart -watching escapades, etc)!

Lisa, yes, I keep forgetting to report my cutting stuff. Last couple weeks = CRAZY!
Almost 2 weeks cutting. Would love input. (Karen, I know you have lots of experience periodizing your diet.)
Started around 147-148, 2 weeks in I'm down to 141-142. Seems great on the surface, but on RP they say if you're losing more than 1% of your bodyweight weekly, you risk muscle loss. So let's assume 3-4 lbs of that loss was dropping the bloat of high calories, etc. That's still ~3+ lbs tissue loss in 12 days. Though my monthly visitor came a week ago so that adds 'noise' to the data. However, I'm still down in weight almost daily. I'm eating 2250 cals a day, more or less. No strength loss, so far as I can see. Should I cut back on cardio? I'm not doing it excessively, but I don't want to lose my muscle gain from massing phase...
Sorry for rambling... also I realize I shouldn't complain, but I do want to get it right....
Hope you're all well. Hoping I kick this sickness soon. Blahhhh...
YOU ALL ROCK!
ROZ

Roz, aw girl, sending you healing vibes, hugs, and love. Wish I could bring over veggie soup for you. Feel better soon! Impressive workouts, too! Ugh, the hormone fluctuations and monthly bloat probably did up your scale weight last week. I feel your frustration. You definitely want to do this thing right after all the effort you've put in. It is a good sign you are feeling strong, though. Good thing Karen the Lifting Queen is in our group to provide guidance. Impressive under-the-sleeping-toddler-typing, by the way! :)

Tom, LEGS! You're fave, ha! But you did it!

Justine, you are a party animal. 4 nights out on the town in a row??? Hopefully another good night's sleep will do the trick for you.

Karen, Lib, HI!

Today = ICY Bootcamp Live (12/24/15). Mostly metabolic-ish, but NOT a good choice the day after STS Legs. Oops. And yet I still loved it.

Good day, y'all.

Ok, I've got IOMS (immediate onset muscle soreness). Eccentric pause dls (4sec pause) 5x5 @87kg, and my lats and triceps are burning already. Once they've recovered, I think doms will set in on my obliques (Swiss ball stir the pot and landmine rotations). 75 mins of HTS.....

Roz, hope you get over the bug quickly. Brave to do anything whilst feeling under the weather. Ccc live is fab- I did that one more than any other live.

Lisa, icy boot camp live sounds fun. Love metabolic stuff.

Xx

Sorry I have been mia. Been trying to catch up on reading, have a big exam on Tuesday and need to reread all the chapters again.

Sunday-Tuesday did Cize crazy 8's. Starting to like it and was going nuts not working out much! Yay!
Tuesday I also did holding your own after school. It was fun. I can't do the ab work from his dvd's though, it made my lower back hurt a lot.

By Wednesday I was back in a knee brace. Ugh! I was not going to workout yesterday and let it recoup......got out of class at 7 pm.....and the truck would not start. Thank goodness for full coverage and Gieco! They sent out a tow truck.......who couldn't get it to start with a jump......ugh! I had to get home, and it's an hour away. So he towed me home.......UGH!!!

$76 and an hour and half later.......he asks me if he would be out of line to ask me for coffee sometime.

After the kids got into bed, I plugged in my headphones, grabbed a beer (ok four.....I know....I know) and ended up dancing for almost an hour. (Ok maybe six?? Ugh! )

Now waiting for my mechanic to open up so I can see what he's going to charge me to get it to him........he's a half hour away.

Thank goodness I have the motorcycle!

Tow guy thinks it might be my fuel pump....said he doesn't hear it come on

My DH was interested because he is Shaun T fan and enjoys dancing too, but if it's lame then maybe we should save our money. de

Don't take my word on this. I really fight cardio, and get bored extremely easily.

Update on it though, I have learned a lot of new moves, I don't dread doing it, I am going to keep using it for the cardio for now. It took me about three time to get the moves down. So now it's not so bad. Now I can put my own move on it, which is more fun for me.

I would say try it. You can always return it. My problem is it made my knee act up. But, I have had issues with it in the past, and moving around this much weight is hard on an old body.......that sounded so negative....don't mean it that way. I am thinking in terms of kinesiology. It was the box step that did it in.....or so I think. So I have to do a smaller one, or do it the other way.

My son likes Cize, and I don't regret getting it. Actually, wish I had bought it sooner.......but then I wouldn't have met all of you....so glad I waited :)

Lib, a new web site has opened Tow Match.com !!! Sorry about the vehicle issues and I hate cardio too, I'm afraid if I try the dancy stuff I will look like an idiot! Today was shoulder day for me, and I new it wouldn't be a great heavy day so I made up for it with shear volume. I did 16 sets if strict press, 45x5 65x5 85x5 105x5x4x3x3x3x3 95x6x6x4 85x8x7x6x5, side laterals 25s 3x10, rear delt flys 45s 3x10 dumbbell shrugs 85s 3x25. I finished with 3 sets of seated knee ins x30 x25 x20. Some days you just don't feel like you can go really heavy and I didn't even try anything over 105, but I think the volume will help me with some hypertrophy hopefully. Roz, hope you feel better, Justine, you are now our new social chairman (vice pres in charge of parties)! I love the new term IOMS! Lisa, anything after sts legs makes you a brave girl! Karen....what up!!! Hoping you didn't get smacked by a rogue kettlebell!!! Carry on "Iron Sistas"!!

Oh no lib! What a week.

Was he worth $76???? What did you say?????? I need to know the details!!!!

Ps what is cize?

Lol! Too funny!
Cize is a dance workout by Shaun T, through beachbody. Google it, the full infomercial is pretty good.

The tow was worth $76. He was really nice. Even turned on the lights for the kids when we got to my house. That was great!

We talked a lot during the ride, the conversation was good. He was very respectful, and kind. I told him I would enjoy meeting up. I did explain that I am super busy, but would make some time if he called.

Lib, a new web site has opened Tow Match.com !!! Sorry about the vehicle issues and I hate cardio too, I'm afraid if I try the dancy stuff I will look like an idiot! Today was shoulder day for me, and I new it wouldn't be a great heavy day so I made up for it with shear volume. I did 16 sets if strict press, 45x5 65x5 85x5 105x5x4x3x3x3x3 95x6x6x4 85x8x7x6x5, side laterals 25s 3x10, rear delt flys 45s 3x10 dumbbell shrugs 85s 3x25. I finished with 3 sets of seated knee ins x30 x25 x20. Some days you just don't feel like you can go really heavy and I didn't even try anything over 105, but I think the volume will help me with some hypertrophy hopefully. Roz, hope you feel better, Justine, you are now our new social chairman (vice pres in charge of parties)! I love the new term IOMS! Lisa, anything after sts legs makes you a brave girl! Karen....what up!!! Hoping you didn't get smacked by a rogue kettlebell!!! Carry on "Iron Sistas"!!

LMAO!!!! Thanks I needed that!

I actually don't date. My life is too busy, and now hectic. Plus, my children......they don't have much longer at home. Partly also because I don't plan on staying in Missouri, after my masters, unless my school offers me a good job, I hope to move east. I will most likely stay long enough for the boys to finish high school, but not after that. So I don't see the value in starting anything.

As for dancing....its in your home, so who cares? :) I know I look silly doing this....and I can dance, it is fun, and I love dancing.

Hey everybody!!! I have definitely been missing in action. Work is eating my lunch again, it's been very busy. I feel like I could sleep 12 hours, and still be tired. Made an appt. with my physician, to see if I need a larger dose of Synthroid. If I do, I'm going to ask her for a prescription of Armour Thyroid, instead of Synthroid. I have Hashimoto's Syndrome, and I have heard that Armour Thyroid works better than Synthroid with Hashimoto. Yada, yada, yada. I know, it bores me as well.
Still loving Kettlebell Burn. Yesterday was workout B. Clean and press for 15 min. Get up sit up with lunges, 15 minutes, and 10 minutes of KB swings. I've been kinda winging it, on Tues and Thurs. This week, I did Angry Yard Gnome. Made a 20-30 min tabata out of it.
All is well here. But, I WISH IT WOULD STOP SNOWING! I wouldn't mind, but DH has been out of town quite a bit since the first of the year. I get the driveway, and walkway shoveled, and it starts snowing again. I would absolutely love it, if I had time to go skiing. All kinds of skiing 30 minutes away, and I'm too busy! I'm going to go scream into a pillow. Great job everyone, don't mind me, it's just been one of those kind of weeks!

Roz, great job with the cutting phase. If you can lift as heavy as you were before you started the cut, you're doing great. Nice job. Now if your eyes start sinking back into your head, and your arms look like chicken wings, you may want to add a few more calories. For me, it was always a strength, and mirror thing. Keep up the great work!!

75 mins of HTS.....

Whoa, sounds long and intense! "IOMS"--there you Brits go again, getting the best of us dull Americans with your creative language.

Tom, Tow Match.com! I love it! Let's go register the domain name, STAT! You may not have been feeling strong but you sure had some great endurance today. Way to go!

Lib, oh my goodness. You are keeping it interesting around here for sure! Sorry about your car and your knee. Hope the car gets fixed without too much trouble or cost, but maybe it was your vehicle playing matchmaker? You must let us know if you go on a date with the tow truck gentleman. Interesting about you wanting to move East when you're done. Most people these days seem to want to move West for the warmer weather, cheaper housing, etc. Thanks for the Cize updates. I think we'll try it out. I like to buy Beach Body from the totalfitnessdvds site. She makes returning really easy.

Karen, thyroid issues are the worst. I remember you saying you have Hashimoto's. My sister has hypothyroidism and the medication balance is always a battle. It doesn't help that she just had her fifth baby. Pregnancy screwed up all her meds. Hugs to you, hope you get it figured out. When you are gone I always figure you are busy with work. Hope it lightens up. And regarding the snow--I am ever so grateful that our brilliant realtor told us to buy a South facing home. Yeah, there are times we still have to shovel, but it snowed last night and my DH didn't even bother shoveling since we'll be above freezing today. Sure enough, just looked out the window and it is all melted from the driveway and sidewalk.

Today I did 20 mins of KCM Cardio Quick Fix and the Strong UB w/Core Live (10/23/14), UB only since I did core yesterday. Justine, this is my most used Live. It gives me such a pump in my arms, which is saying a lot for my physique.

Take care, friends!

Crap arm day! Tried to start with skullcrushers, but after 2 short, light sets, went with tri push downs and that was better. I did 5 sets. For bis, I tried the bar only for curls, but couldn't go. I tried all the way down to 20# dumbbells but still no go. I tried light conc curls, but nada! All I could do, and this sounds silly. was isometric flexing. This was tolerable and I could feel it so better than nothing. I did some forearm stuff with light dumbbells and some ab stuff. Really bummed! We are going to visit my son the orthopedic surgeon this weekend. His sub specialty is sports medicine, so maybe he will have some ideas...hope so. Have a great weekend everyone!

So excited I get to start mesocycle two today!!!

Been so bombarded with stress lately, that I decided to get to bed early last nigh. Was asleep by 730 pm!!!.......
And awake at 1030 pm! UGH! Finally got back to sleep at 4 am. I had to be up by 5 am....pushed it to 6 though

That's why I'm checking in early.....I want to sleep instead.

Ok, another cup of coffee, some water and popping in the dvd

Oh no Tom. Were you lacking strength, energy, or did it hurt? Hopefully a one off.

Lisa- I think I've tried strong UB with core, seem to remember it being hard work on the arms.

PRS #2 for me today, and whilst I spent most of it facing the wrong way, at least I didn't fall!

Karen, so envious of your proximity to skiing.

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.