Just Finished One Rep Max - Need Advice

Rharabed

Cathlete
I just finished my one rep max (hurray!) and am wanting to start the STS program tomorrow. I was wondering whether to start with the 3 or 6 month rotations. I am 50, really had to think long and hard before ordering this one. I was worried I was too old to start something like this. I've primarily been doing cardio and mixed cardio-weight. Never done any serious weight lifting, but have always admired those that do. I typically work out 5 days a week to Cathe or Amy Bento. Which do you think is better? Also, would you do cardio on weight days or just on off days?

Thanks,
Rhonda

I don't think you should put a number to your age, more so think of how you feel biologically rather then chronologically. I have noticed that society puts certain limits out there designed around age, like a one-size fits all. I'm a firm believer that if you slow down you will rust and if you feel great and you want this, then go for it! I did the 3-month program the first time out. I also did cardio with it on certain days a few hours later because I was cycling. I really believe it will depend on how well you care for yourself, such as getting the right nutrition and sleep to recover and using the weights with good form. Have fun with it!

Since you are new to weight lifting you may want to consider doing the 6 mo. rotation. When I first started STS I did the first week twice then did week 2,3&4 only once, then did the same for the other 2 mesocycles. Even though there are new exercises in weeks 2,3 & 4 it is still somewhat repetitive and I was anxious to try the next mesocycle. Now when I do STS I only do the 3 mo. rotation. It really is a great program, I am 48 and find that as I age wt lifting is so much more enjoyable for me over cardio. I used to be a "cardio junky" but now I love what wt lifting has done for me. I
I usually do an STS arms tape along with a 30 min cardio, when I do legs i will add abs instead of cardio.

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.