Is less exercise sometimes better.

fitat49

Cathlete
I just recently missed 3 weeks of working out. And to my surprise I lost the 5 lbs. that I had been wanting to lose for awhile and had been working out 6 days a week always following one of cathe rotations. I've worked out for 20 years. Is it possible I'm working out too hard or too much ? Should I consider cutting down to maybe 5 days? Appreciate any feedback. Thanks ladies. Lori :)

Lori, I have had this happen to me as well. It seems ridiculous, so the only explanation I can think of is either that you eat less or maybe somehow the stress hormones calm down and let your body work. I don't know.

I only ever work out, intensely, three or four times per week. I'm just not interested in doing more. I get tired, I have too much work, too many family things taking up my time and now, finally, a social life.

Fitness and working out should never be the be all and end all of life. Five times per week, since you are doing Cathe workouts, is enough, yes.

Sometimes, your body and more importantly, I think, your mind, need a break, a change of pace, scenery, activity.

I work out less frequently than I used to 10 years ago, but I feel better, am just as strong and my aerobic capacity is just the same. I have enormous reserves of strength, stamina, endurance. I'm lifting slightly less at the moment because I haven't lifted much for the past 9 months, but the capacity is still there.

You don't have to kill yourself to be in shape, healthy and to have zest for life and energy to do all the things you need and want to do.

The fact that resting gave you the weight loss you were looking for is a fact you should pay attention to.

Clare

Lori, I have had this happen to me as well. It seems ridiculous, so the only explanation I can think of is either that you eat less or maybe somehow the stress hormones calm down and let your body work. I don't know.

This makes the most sense to me. I've had this happen to me as well.

I have had the same experience and during the last 2 years have dialed back the intensity.
I still like to work out sometimes for 10 days straight and then have a rest day but those days include fusion workouts and walking with Leslie. I have also lightened up on the weight I use. I am less tired and hungry and have lost weight and look slimmer and more toned. I am just happy that my tops which would not fit over my arms and my skinny jeans which were very tight on the thighs are now fitting and comfortable.

I just recently missed 3 weeks of working out. And to my surprise I lost the 5 lbs. that I had been wanting to lose for awhile and had been working out 6 days a week always following one of cathe rotations. I've worked out for 20 years. Is it possible I'm working out too hard or too much ? Should I consider cutting down to maybe 5 days? Appreciate any feedback. Thanks ladies. Lori :)

If you work out, your body needs to store energy in the form of glycogen. For every gram of glycogen, the body stores about 3 grams of water, hence you are heavier when working out. You lose the water weight if you do not work as hard as you normally would.

I spent years believing more was better but not anymore! With the exception of time spent doing yoga, the majority of my work outs clock in at well under an hour! My cardios can be as short as 10 minutes and usually no longer then 30 and my weight work outs average 30 minutes each and I have to say that I couldn't be happier with how I look and feel!!!:D

Last edited:
Look into the thread that I recently started with an article 7 Signs You're Over-training. It also confirms what the other posters are saying in that more is not necessarily better when it comes to exercise. The fitness expert believes 5 days/week, and no more than 30-60min of cardio at one time is ideal.

I workout 5 days/week now, never more than 60min. The other 2 days of the week I remain active by walking. I feel great, mentally and physically.

Good luck!

Natasha

I agree with some of the earlier posters, it was the stress hormones. I used to workout 6 days a week and made no progress. Now, I workout 2-3 days in a row and take a rest day. It seems to work better.

Thanks everyone, I am going to cut now to no more than 5days and less intensity. I appreciate everyone's feedback. Have another question. One thing I noticed when missing 3 weeks of exercise is my arms have lost some tone!! Amazing in only three weeks that happened. Wat would be the best way to get the tone back. Should I do total body w/o 2 to 3 times a week? Or like gym style all upper body twice a week. help. I want my tone back!!!

I would recommend gym styles. The split workouts allows you to really focus and exhaust the muscle group. I know each person is different but I get much better results from split workouts or just upper body vs. total body.

The upper body portion on turbo barre always brings my definition back, i don't do it too often, usually just the lower body express, and it's amazing because you only use 5 lbs, but you so feel the burn! She makes you hold and pulse at different times and it works bi's, tri's and shoulders :)

I too, cut back the work outs and lost the weight I wanted to - so much happier with the thighs, but the wigglies when I wave just has to go :) :) :)

Thanks again ladies, I think I'll try doing gym styles twice a week and cut down on cardio and see if that helps in toning up my arms again! :)

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.