Hypothyroid folks - what do you take your meds with?

melimcn

Cathlete
I take mine first thing in the morning. Up until now I've taken them with just water. But the morning workout is getting harder, so I'm wondering about taking it with an energy drink (no sugar, just mostly caffeine and B12).

Anyone have any thoughts or do something similar?

I was told MANY times that Synthroid (or any hypothryoid medication) NEEDS to be taken ALONE with ONLY water. I had started on BCP's and were taking them at the same time in the morning, and my thyroid levels got all screwed up.

I usually take my Synthroid first thing when I wake up before I do anything, and by the time I putter, clean up, ready, ... it's been an hour and I can eat or drink something else.

From About.com Thyroid forum

How to Take Your Thyroid Medication

1.Always check the prescription against what you receive. Don't allow generic substitutions.

2.Most doctors feel that taking thyroid hormone on an empty stomach allows for maximum absorption.

3.Many practitioners advise that you allow at least one hour before eating, because it allows for maximum absorption.

4.Be consistent about a high-fiber diet. If you start or stop eating high-fiber, get your thyroid rechecked, because it may change your absorption.

5.Many experts recommend you take vitamins or supplements with iron at least two to three hours apart from thyroid hormone. Iron can interfere with thyroid hormone absorption if taken too close together.

6.Be careful about taking calcium and calcium-fortified orange juice at the same time as thyroid hormone. Allow at least 2-3 hours apart, so absorption is not affected.

7.Don't take antacids within two hours of thyroid hormone. Allow at least 2-3 hours apart, so absorption is not affected.

8.Watch for interactions with antidepressants & thyroid hormone. Zoloft, Paxil and Prozac can make thyroid meds more or less effective. Talk to your doctor.

9.Don't stop taking thyroid hormone when you're pregnant or breastfeeding. It's necessary for you and your baby's health. Talk to your doctor about adjusting to the right dosage.

I am hypo from Hashimoto's thryoiditis and just had a total thyroidectomy. I take my Synthroid alone, in the morning on an empty stomach.

If you're taking it with anything else, you might not be getting full absorbtion of your thyroid medication. I'm on several thryroid forums (medhelp.org has a great thyroid forum and very active--you can always stop by and ask a question there or do a search) and have seen a lot of people say that they started taking their thyroid meds at night before bed, about 3-4 hours after dinner. The key is being consistent in whatever you do so that you are regulated and discuss it with your doctor. ;)

Last edited:
Another one here who takes it (on dr.'s instructions) with nothing but water, at least one hour before anything else. I take it first thing in the morning and jump to my workout, after the workout I have whatever I want. Ok, I have something healthy. :D

-Beth

I take mine as soon as I wake up and only with water. I try to wait at least an hour before I eat, but sometimes with my work schedule, I have to eat earlier or not eat at all. I take my BCPs 3-4 hours later, and I take my vitamins before bed.

I take mine before bed with my blood pressure med's and I use generic. I have a thyroid goiter and if my levels are off I feel like I have a turtleneck sweater on too tight. I don't see much flux with the generic. I'm on a very low dose.

OK thanks everyone.
I think I'll be moving my Synthroid dose to just before bed. I did do the engery drink the morning before Cathe, and it was a HUGE help. 4:30 am is just getting to me lately.

Thanks for the feedback!

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.