How many meals do you eat every day?

beehappy

I am in the middle of researching different Healthy meal plan options. Some plans offer 5 meals a day, some offer 4 and some offer 6.

How many healthy meals do you eat each day? What number makes you the most satisfied.

I understand that you are breaking your daily calorie amount down into either 200, 300, or 400 calories meals. I am just wondering which option gives you the most peace of mind. Which option do you feel like you can stick with long term?

Thanks in advance!:)

I try to eat something every 2 to 3 hours. I would say I eat 3 meals and have a mid-morning snack and mid-afternoon snack. It works for me. Keeps my blood sugar level.

3 meals a day plus a mid-morning and mid-afternoon "snack," so technically I eat 5 times a day. The snacks are roughly 200 calories - usually protein/carb combo.

I eat 5 times a day - breakfast, morning snack, lunch, afternoon snack and dinner. Sometimes I will have an additional meal like 1/2 of a protein bar if I am really hungry before a workout. This is the late afternoon around 5pm. I don't eat dinner until 7pm most nights.

If don't eat every 3hrs, I become an angry food monster :mad:. So ya, this puts me at eating 5X/day like the other gals :D.

I say go with a meal plan that works for you. For me personally, smaller meals throughout the day work best.

Natasha

I find eating 5 times a day exhausting. I've never been good at figuring out what to eat, so having to come up with that many meals a day plus preparing them daily was just too much for me. In addition, I didn't like the 200-300 calorie meals. They seem to just leave me hungry and make me mad :mad:

I seem to do better on three larger meals(like 500 calories) and a snack if I need it.

I find eating 5 times a day exhausting. I've never been good at figuring out what to eat, so having to come up with that many meals a day plus preparing them daily was just too much for me. In addition, I didn't like the 200-300 calorie meals. They seem to just leave me hungry and make me mad :mad:

I seem to do better on three larger meals(like 500 calories) and a snack if I need it.

I'm with you. Eating mini meals left me feeling unsatisfied and food obsessed. I do much better on 3 larger meals and a snack if I get hungry.

I often eat every few hours or more often, throughout the day, but I've found I'm more successful eating 3 meals and snacks if needed, when I'm actually losing weight. It's much easier to gage my hunger level, and eat when I'm hungry. I'm almost never out of the house, so mindless munching is an issue. Its also much easier to keep track of calories/carbs/protein whatever you are tracking if the meals are less frequent or you portion them out ahead of time.

But more importantly than HOW often, is WHAT I'm eating. Each person is different. Low Carb, Low Fat, High Fiber, they each are different, and we react differently to them.

In this instance 'best' is defined as feeling full for hours, mind off food until I'm hungry,
and losing weight since I'm full on less calories.
I do best eating as many legumes as possible- lots of burritos, chilli, lentil soup and veggie burgers, lots of fruit, and finding as many ways as possible to add lots of flavor, minimizing the fats like cheese or butter, but some Evo is ok. and finding as many ways as possible to maximize my serving size for the fewest calories. Making "tacos" with lettuce instead of the tortilla shell, for example. Each tortilla has 100 or more calories, depending on size. It's not an original idea, but this way we are filling up on the great flavors and proteins instead of refined carbs. My fav is curry fish or chicken tacos, or curry lentils are great too and fairly quick, since there's no soaking.

The option that gives me the most peace of mind is to not have a specific plan. Just eat lots of healthy produce, lean proteins, and limiting the high fat dairy and other very caloric foods like pasta, rice, and to a certain extent bread. Don't forget lots of water, and if you like it, tea. I love mint tea flavored water, especially in summer.

However, for someone avoiding carbs all the legumes, carrots, and raisin bran I eat is an absolute nightmare. So what works for you will vary, hence why there are so many plans to choose from.

*You'd think when I'm eating legumes often I have gas, but I usually don't. I'm used to eating high fiber foods, and I rinse the beans during the cooking process, if I'm using dried beans. In the case of lentils, I haven't found any canned except for extremely salty soup, so I always make those from dried lentils. Since I'm the only one in the house willing to eat that many beans or any lentils, it's a way for me to make my food ahead of time too, since they usually don't want any. I haven't done that in a long time though, I'm all talk right now.

I don't even count. It's exhausting to me to think I'd be counting anything... number of meals, calories, anything.

It probably works out to about 5 or 6 times a day. I drink my coffee and eat a banana first thing. Then I work out. After that I eat a bowl of cereal and then I run. After running I usually eat yogurt.

I don't usually do lunch, but if I'm meeting a friend out for lunch I'll eat soup or salad or half a sandwich.

Dinner is usually the next time I eat. After dinner I have a snack before bed.

I did the mini meal thing for a long time, trying desperately to be successful with it b/c it's supposed to be better for your metabolism but I finally had to admit that it just doesn't work for me. I am hungry all the time and find myself "grazing" all day long b/c of it. I have switched to 3 meals plus snacks (mostly fruit) and do much better that way. I feel more satisfied!

I don't even count. It's exhausting to me to think I'd be counting anything... number of meals, calories, anything.

It probably works out to about 5 or 6 times a day. I drink my coffee and eat a banana first thing. Then I work out. After that I eat a bowl of cereal and then I run. After running I usually eat yogurt.

I don't usually do lunch, but if I'm meeting a friend out for lunch I'll eat soup or salad or half a sandwich.

Dinner is usually the next time I eat. After dinner I have a snack before bed.

JeanneMarie ~ you amaze me. You really inspire me to pick up my momentum when it comes to exercise. :eek:

I did the mini meal thing for a long time, trying desperately to be successful with it b/c it's supposed to be better for your metabolism but I finally had to admit that it just doesn't work for me. I am hungry all the time and find myself "grazing" all day long b/c of it. I have switched to 3 meals plus snacks (mostly fruit) and do much better that way. I feel more satisfied!

I agree with both of your philosophies on eating. I only eat when I'm truly hungry.

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.